Help with Slave/Master Settings

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 10:32:17 AM

Building a new PC with son.

Installed components last night and have a question about the
slave/master settings on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. There
is no floppy at the present.

I have the HD set to master and the CD/DVD set to slave, but the
illustration that came with the CD drive indicates that I should set
that to master.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Douglas

More about : slave master settings

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 12:06:29 PM

In article <eiicv01igfi84mscchm47srbe5ueio1q27@4ax.com>,
Douglas Fifield <douglas.fifield@comcast.net> wrote:
>Building a new PC with son.
>
>Installed components last night and have a question about the
>slave/master settings on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. There
>is no floppy at the present.
>
>I have the HD set to master and the CD/DVD set to slave, but the
>illustration that came with the CD drive indicates that I should set
>that to master.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>TIA,
>
>Douglas

Setup on a PC with one disk and one CDR is generally that the disk
is on the primary IDE channel and the CDR is on the secondary
channel and neither needs master/slave jumpers.

The few times I've shared an IDE channel on a modern mobo the
controller recognized the two devices and did the right thing, with no
jumpers in either device.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 5:35:50 PM

you have TWO ide channels so put the hard drive on the PRIMARY ide channel
and the dvd on the SECONDARY ide channel

Set both devices to MASTER

"Douglas Fifield" <douglas.fifield@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Building a new PC with son.
>
> Installed components last night and have a question about the
> slave/master settings on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. There
> is no floppy at the present.
>
> I have the HD set to master and the CD/DVD set to slave, but the
> illustration that came with the CD drive indicates that I should set
> that to master.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> TIA,
>
> Douglas
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 5:35:51 PM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:35:50 +0000 (UTC), "Ginchy"
<avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:

>you have TWO ide channels so put the hard drive on the PRIMARY ide channel
>and the dvd on the SECONDARY ide channel
>
>Set both devices to MASTER
>

>"Douglas Fifield" <douglas.fifield@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Building a new PC with son.
>>
>> Installed components last night and have a question about the
>> slave/master settings on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. There
>> is no floppy at the present.
>>
>> I have the HD set to master and the CD/DVD set to slave, but the
>> illustration that came with the CD drive indicates that I should set
>> that to master.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Douglas

I have changed the setup as you suggested. Will let you know how it
works.

D.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 6:19:47 PM

you must have used cable select

> In article <eiicv01igfi84mscchm47srbe5ueio1q27@4ax.com>,
> Douglas Fifield <douglas.fifield@comcast.net> wrote:
> >Building a new PC with son.
> >
> >Installed components last night and have a question about the
> >slave/master settings on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. There
> >is no floppy at the present.
> >
> >I have the HD set to master and the CD/DVD set to slave, but the
> >illustration that came with the CD drive indicates that I should set
> >that to master.
> >
> >Any thoughts?
> >
> >TIA,
> >
> >Douglas
>
> Setup on a PC with one disk and one CDR is generally that the disk
> is on the primary IDE channel and the CDR is on the secondary
> channel and neither needs master/slave jumpers.
>
> The few times I've shared an IDE channel on a modern mobo the
> controller recognized the two devices and did the right thing, with no
> jumpers in either device.
>
> --
>
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
January 27, 2005 1:26:14 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:35:50 +0000 (UTC), "Ginchy"
<avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:

>you have TWO ide channels so put the hard drive on the PRIMARY ide channel
>and the dvd on the SECONDARY ide channel
>
>Set both devices to MASTER

Now how would you setup the following configuration?

2 hard drives

1 DVD burner

1 CD burner

My main consideration here would be not to slow down the transer
speeds of the HD's with the slower DVD and or CD.

Thanks for the help.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2005 11:29:00 AM

In article <9mngv0lfbtkuu8u2ju4k8scmmmn4vgrret@4ax.com>, <James> wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:35:50 +0000 (UTC), "Ginchy"
><avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>you have TWO ide channels so put the hard drive on the PRIMARY ide channel
>>and the dvd on the SECONDARY ide channel
>>
>>Set both devices to MASTER
>
>Now how would you setup the following configuration?
>
>2 hard drives
>
>1 DVD burner
>
>1 CD burner
>
>My main consideration here would be not to slow down the transer
>speeds of the HD's with the slower DVD and or CD.
>
>Thanks for the help.

Buy an add-on IDE card for a few bucks and give each of your
devices it's won channel.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2005 1:20:43 PM

<James> wrote in message news:9mngv0lfbtkuu8u2ju4k8scmmmn4vgrret@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:35:50 +0000 (UTC), "Ginchy"
> <avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>you have TWO ide channels so put the hard drive on the PRIMARY ide channel
>>and the dvd on the SECONDARY ide channel
>>
>>Set both devices to MASTER
>
> Now how would you setup the following configuration?
>
> 2 hard drives
>
> 1 DVD burner
>
> 1 CD burner
>
> My main consideration here would be not to slow down the transer
> speeds of the HD's with the slower DVD and or CD.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Put them wherever you want.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html Doesn't matter
anymore.
If you want to copy on the fly, seperate the cd drives. But with
"burn-proof" et al, even that doesn't matter anymore.
January 27, 2005 4:06:07 PM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:20:43 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:

>Put them wherever you want.
>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html Doesn't matter
>anymore.
>If you want to copy on the fly, seperate the cd drives. But with
>"burn-proof" et al, even that doesn't matter anymore.

I should have mentioned that the second HD is kept in a removable
drawer and is not always present in the system.

Right now the CD burner is on the secondary master. When I insert the
second HD it of course becomes the primary sleeve. As such that HD
drops down to ATA 33 instead of ATA 100?
January 27, 2005 4:07:45 PM

On 27 Jan 2005 08:29:00 -0500, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>Buy an add-on IDE card for a few bucks and give each of your
>devices it's won channel.

You know adykes I think you have hit on the perfect solution. :-))

Thanks for the reply.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2005 11:59:47 PM

<James> wrote in message news:07biv05sko1jsob9r95jurt3ni7b1q296q@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:20:43 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:
>

>>Put them wherever you want.
>>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html Doesn't matter
>>anymore.
>>If you want to copy on the fly, seperate the cd drives. But with
>>"burn-proof" et al, even that doesn't matter anymore.
>
> I should have mentioned that the second HD is kept in a removable
> drawer and is not always present in the system.
>
> Right now the CD burner is on the secondary master. When I insert the
> second HD it of course becomes the primary sleeve. As such that HD
> drops down to ATA 33 instead of ATA 100?

For the second time, no it doesn't.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2005 4:14:45 AM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:59:47 GMT Not alowing their prejudice to rule
their future "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote :

><James> wrote in message news:07biv05sko1jsob9r95jurt3ni7b1q296q@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:20:43 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:
>>

>>>Put them wherever you want.
>>>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html Doesn't matter
>>>anymore.
>>>If you want to copy on the fly, seperate the cd drives. But with
>>>"burn-proof" et al, even that doesn't matter anymore.
>>
>> I should have mentioned that the second HD is kept in a removable
>> drawer and is not always present in the system.
>>
>> Right now the CD burner is on the secondary master. When I insert the
>> second HD it of course becomes the primary sleeve. As such that HD
>> drops down to ATA 33 instead of ATA 100?

We'll keep telling em Bill.These Myths will continue but we are here
to put them straight :p

>For the second time, no it doesn't.
>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:14:45 +0000, Shep© <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>We'll keep telling em Bill.These Myths will continue but we are here
>to put them straight :p
>
>>For the second time, no it doesn't.
>>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html

Ok it does not go down to ATA 33 if that makes you happier. I am
making it all up.

But the problem was solved very easily. I have a Gigabyte 7DXR mobo.
Which has two RAID controllers. End of problem.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2005 6:20:47 PM

"Kill Bill" wrote:
> <James> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:20:43 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c>
> wrote:
> >
>  >>
> >
>  >>Put them wherever you want.
>  >>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html
> Doesn't matter
>  >>anymore.
>  >>If you want to copy on the fly, seperate the cd
> drives. But with
>  >>"burn-proof" et al, even that doesn't matter anymore.
> >
> > I should have mentioned that the second HD is kept in a
> removable
> > drawer and is not always present in the system.
> >
> > Right now the CD burner is on the secondary master. When I
> insert the
> > second HD it of course becomes the primary sleeve. As such
> that HD
> > drops down to ATA 33 instead of ATA 100?
> >
> For the second time, no it doesn't.
> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html

I am building a new system with 1 HDD, 1FDD, 1 CD ROM and 1 DVD RW.
There are 2 IDE connectors, and one for the FDD, what config should
they be in?
Thanks

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-Help-Slave-Mas...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=234290