Help with Slave/Master Settings

Building a new PC with son.

Installed components last night and have a question about the
slave/master settings on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. There
is no floppy at the present.

I have the HD set to master and the CD/DVD set to slave, but the
illustration that came with the CD drive indicates that I should set
that to master.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Douglas
13 answers Last reply
More about help slave master settings

    In article <eiicv01igfi84mscchm47srbe5ueio1q27@4ax.com>,
    Douglas Fifield <douglas.fifield@comcast.net> wrote:
    >Building a new PC with son.
    >
    >Installed components last night and have a question about the
    >slave/master settings on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. There
    >is no floppy at the present.
    >
    >I have the HD set to master and the CD/DVD set to slave, but the
    >illustration that came with the CD drive indicates that I should set
    >that to master.
    >
    >Any thoughts?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Douglas

    Setup on a PC with one disk and one CDR is generally that the disk
    is on the primary IDE channel and the CDR is on the secondary
    channel and neither needs master/slave jumpers.

    The few times I've shared an IDE channel on a modern mobo the
    controller recognized the two devices and did the right thing, with no
    jumpers in either device.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    you have TWO ide channels so put the hard drive on the PRIMARY ide channel
    and the dvd on the SECONDARY ide channel

    Set both devices to MASTER

    "Douglas Fifield" <douglas.fifield@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Building a new PC with son.
    >
    > Installed components last night and have a question about the
    > slave/master settings on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. There
    > is no floppy at the present.
    >
    > I have the HD set to master and the CD/DVD set to slave, but the
    > illustration that came with the CD drive indicates that I should set
    > that to master.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Douglas

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:35:50 +0000 (UTC), "Ginchy"
    <avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:

    >you have TWO ide channels so put the hard drive on the PRIMARY ide channel
    >and the dvd on the SECONDARY ide channel
    >
    >Set both devices to MASTER
    >

    >"Douglas Fifield" <douglas.fifield@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Building a new PC with son.
    >>
    >> Installed components last night and have a question about the
    >> slave/master settings on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. There
    >> is no floppy at the present.
    >>
    >> I have the HD set to master and the CD/DVD set to slave, but the
    >> illustration that came with the CD drive indicates that I should set
    >> that to master.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Douglas

    I have changed the setup as you suggested. Will let you know how it
    works.

    D.

    you must have used cable select

    > In article <eiicv01igfi84mscchm47srbe5ueio1q27@4ax.com>,
    > Douglas Fifield <douglas.fifield@comcast.net> wrote:
    > >Building a new PC with son.
    > >
    > >Installed components last night and have a question about the
    > >slave/master settings on the hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. There
    > >is no floppy at the present.
    > >
    > >I have the HD set to master and the CD/DVD set to slave, but the
    > >illustration that came with the CD drive indicates that I should set
    > >that to master.
    > >
    > >Any thoughts?
    > >
    > >TIA,
    > >
    > >Douglas
    >
    > Setup on a PC with one disk and one CDR is generally that the disk
    > is on the primary IDE channel and the CDR is on the secondary
    > channel and neither needs master/slave jumpers.
    >
    > The few times I've shared an IDE channel on a modern mobo the
    > controller recognized the two devices and did the right thing, with no
    > jumpers in either device.
    >
    > --
    >
    > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >
    > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:35:50 +0000 (UTC), "Ginchy"
    <avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:

    >you have TWO ide channels so put the hard drive on the PRIMARY ide channel
    >and the dvd on the SECONDARY ide channel
    >
    >Set both devices to MASTER

    Now how would you setup the following configuration?

    2 hard drives

    1 DVD burner

    1 CD burner

    My main consideration here would be not to slow down the transer
    speeds of the HD's with the slower DVD and or CD.

    Thanks for the help.

    In article <9mngv0lfbtkuu8u2ju4k8scmmmn4vgrret@4ax.com>, <James> wrote:
    >On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:35:50 +0000 (UTC), "Ginchy"
    ><avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    >>you have TWO ide channels so put the hard drive on the PRIMARY ide channel
    >>and the dvd on the SECONDARY ide channel
    >>
    >>Set both devices to MASTER
    >
    >Now how would you setup the following configuration?
    >
    >2 hard drives
    >
    >1 DVD burner
    >
    >1 CD burner
    >
    >My main consideration here would be not to slow down the transer
    >speeds of the HD's with the slower DVD and or CD.
    >
    >Thanks for the help.

    Buy an add-on IDE card for a few bucks and give each of your
    devices it's won channel.

    --

    <James> wrote in message news:9mngv0lfbtkuu8u2ju4k8scmmmn4vgrret@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:35:50 +0000 (UTC), "Ginchy"
    > <avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    >>you have TWO ide channels so put the hard drive on the PRIMARY ide channel
    >>and the dvd on the SECONDARY ide channel
    >>
    >>Set both devices to MASTER
    >
    > Now how would you setup the following configuration?
    >
    > 2 hard drives
    >
    > 1 DVD burner
    >
    > 1 CD burner
    >
    > My main consideration here would be not to slow down the transer
    > speeds of the HD's with the slower DVD and or CD.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    Put them wherever you want.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html Doesn't matter
    anymore.
    If you want to copy on the fly, seperate the cd drives. But with
    "burn-proof" et al, even that doesn't matter anymore.

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:20:43 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:

    >Put them wherever you want.
    >http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html Doesn't matter
    >anymore.
    >If you want to copy on the fly, seperate the cd drives. But with
    >"burn-proof" et al, even that doesn't matter anymore.

    I should have mentioned that the second HD is kept in a removable
    drawer and is not always present in the system.

    Right now the CD burner is on the secondary master. When I insert the
    second HD it of course becomes the primary sleeve. As such that HD
    drops down to ATA 33 instead of ATA 100?

    On 27 Jan 2005 08:29:00 -0500, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >Buy an add-on IDE card for a few bucks and give each of your
    >devices it's won channel.

    You know adykes I think you have hit on the perfect solution. :-))

    Thanks for the reply.

    <James> wrote in message news:07biv05sko1jsob9r95jurt3ni7b1q296q@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:20:43 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:
    >

    >>Put them wherever you want.
    >>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html Doesn't matter
    >>anymore.
    >>If you want to copy on the fly, seperate the cd drives. But with
    >>"burn-proof" et al, even that doesn't matter anymore.
    >
    > I should have mentioned that the second HD is kept in a removable
    > drawer and is not always present in the system.
    >
    > Right now the CD burner is on the secondary master. When I insert the
    > second HD it of course becomes the primary sleeve. As such that HD
    > drops down to ATA 33 instead of ATA 100?

    For the second time, no it doesn't.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:59:47 GMT Not alowing their prejudice to rule
    their future "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote :

    ><James> wrote in message news:07biv05sko1jsob9r95jurt3ni7b1q296q@4ax.com...
    >> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:20:43 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Put them wherever you want.
    >>>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html Doesn't matter
    >>>anymore.
    >>>If you want to copy on the fly, seperate the cd drives. But with
    >>>"burn-proof" et al, even that doesn't matter anymore.
    >>
    >> I should have mentioned that the second HD is kept in a removable
    >> drawer and is not always present in the system.
    >>
    >> Right now the CD burner is on the secondary master. When I insert the
    >> second HD it of course becomes the primary sleeve. As such that HD
    >> drops down to ATA 33 instead of ATA 100?

    We'll keep telling em Bill.These Myths will continue but we are here
    to put them straight :P

    >For the second time, no it doesn't.
    >http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:14:45 +0000, Shep© <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

    >We'll keep telling em Bill.These Myths will continue but we are here
    >to put them straight :P
    >
    >>For the second time, no it doesn't.
    >>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html

    Ok it does not go down to ATA 33 if that makes you happier. I am
    making it all up.

    But the problem was solved very easily. I have a Gigabyte 7DXR mobo.
    Which has two RAID controllers. End of problem.

    "Kill Bill" wrote:
    > <James> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:20:43 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c>
    > wrote:
    > >
    >  >>
    > >
    >  >>Put them wherever you want.
    >  >>http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html
    > Doesn't matter
    >  >>anymore.
    >  >>If you want to copy on the fly, seperate the cd
    > drives. But with
    >  >>"burn-proof" et al, even that doesn't matter anymore.
    > >
    > > I should have mentioned that the second HD is kept in a
    > removable
    > > drawer and is not always present in the system.
    > >
    > > Right now the CD burner is on the secondary master. When I
    > insert the
    > > second HD it of course becomes the primary sleeve. As such
    > that HD
    > > drops down to ATA 33 instead of ATA 100?
    > >
    > For the second time, no it doesn't.
    > http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confTiming-c.html

    I am building a new system with 1 HDD, 1FDD, 1 CD ROM and 1 DVD RW.
    There are 2 IDE connectors, and one for the FDD, what config should
    they be in?
    Thanks

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-Help-Slave-Master-Settings-ftopict46864.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=234290