system restore

my restore system will not go to any month but august,
how can i get it to go to another month to restore there?
4 answers Last reply
More about system restore

    As new restore points are created, old restore points are deleted on a first
    in, first out basis. How old a restore history you have depends upon how
    much disk space you allocate as well as how large the restore points might
    be. You can't control the size of the restore points because they are based
    on the system state at a given time but you can make some changes to
    allocation of disk space. Open Control Panel, open System, go to the System
    Restore tab, select a drive and click settings. NOTE: the maximum disk
    space that can be allocated is 12%, if you are already at 12%, there's
    nothing else you can do.

    You can try turning off the hibernate feature as that takes a lot of room
    and may be bloating the System Restore file. Open Control Panel, go to
    Display, go to the Screen Saver tab, click the Power button, go to the
    Hibernate tab, and remove the check from Enable Hibernation, click apply and
    ok.

    NOTE: this will not bring back past points but may increase the number and
    depth of history on future restore points.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my restore system will not go to any month but august,
    > how can i get it to go to another month to restore there?

    It means that there are no restore points for any other months apart from
    the August ones.
    Joan

    Brenda wrote:
    > my restore system will not go to any month but august,
    > how can i get it to go to another month to restore there?

    Michael

    Is this "if you are already at 12%, there's nothing else you can do." true?

    Not that I would recommend an increase <g>! Other than my question a nice
    explanation.

    ~~~~~~

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    message news:OPNmqiyeEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > As new restore points are created, old restore points are deleted on a
    first
    > in, first out basis. How old a restore history you have depends upon how
    > much disk space you allocate as well as how large the restore points might
    > be. You can't control the size of the restore points because they are
    based
    > on the system state at a given time but you can make some changes to
    > allocation of disk space. Open Control Panel, open System, go to the
    System
    > Restore tab, select a drive and click settings. NOTE: the maximum disk
    > space that can be allocated is 12%, if you are already at 12%, there's
    > nothing else you can do.
    >
    > You can try turning off the hibernate feature as that takes a lot of room
    > and may be bloating the System Restore file. Open Control Panel, go to
    > Display, go to the Screen Saver tab, click the Power button, go to the
    > Hibernate tab, and remove the check from Enable Hibernation, click apply
    and
    > ok.
    >
    > NOTE: this will not bring back past points but may increase the number and
    > depth of history on future restore points.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > my restore system will not go to any month but august,
    > > how can i get it to go to another month to restore there?

    There might be a registry hack but at system level, 12% of a given drive is
    the maximum.

    --

    "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Michael
    >
    > Is this "if you are already at 12%, there's nothing else you can do."
    > true?
    >
    > Not that I would recommend an increase <g>! Other than my question a nice
    > explanation.
    >

    > ~~~~~~
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    > message news:OPNmqiyeEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> As new restore points are created, old restore points are deleted on a
    > first
    >> in, first out basis. How old a restore history you have depends upon how
    >> much disk space you allocate as well as how large the restore points
    >> might
    >> be. You can't control the size of the restore points because they are
    > based
    >> on the system state at a given time but you can make some changes to
    >> allocation of disk space. Open Control Panel, open System, go to the
    > System
    >> Restore tab, select a drive and click settings. NOTE: the maximum disk
    >> space that can be allocated is 12%, if you are already at 12%, there's
    >> nothing else you can do.
    >>
    >> You can try turning off the hibernate feature as that takes a lot of room
    >> and may be bloating the System Restore file. Open Control Panel, go to
    >> Display, go to the Screen Saver tab, click the Power button, go to the
    >> Hibernate tab, and remove the check from Enable Hibernation, click apply
    > and
    >> ok.
    >>
    >> NOTE: this will not bring back past points but may increase the number
    >> and
    >> depth of history on future restore points.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > my restore system will not go to any month but august,
    >> > how can i get it to go to another month to restore there?

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP