system restore

August 5, 2004 4:56:36 PM

my restore system will not go to any month but august,
how can i get it to go to another month to restore there?

More about : system restore

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 5:14:16 PM

As new restore points are created, old restore points are deleted on a first
in, first out basis. How old a restore history you have depends upon how
much disk space you allocate as well as how large the restore points might
be. You can't control the size of the restore points because they are based
on the system state at a given time but you can make some changes to
allocation of disk space. Open Control Panel, open System, go to the System
Restore tab, select a drive and click settings. NOTE: the maximum disk
space that can be allocated is 12%, if you are already at 12%, there's
nothing else you can do.

You can try turning off the hibernate feature as that takes a lot of room
and may be bloating the System Restore file. Open Control Panel, go to
Display, go to the Screen Saver tab, click the Power button, go to the
Hibernate tab, and remove the check from Enable Hibernation, click apply and
ok.

NOTE: this will not bring back past points but may increase the number and
depth of history on future restore points.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my restore system will not go to any month but august,
> how can i get it to go to another month to restore there?
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:07:56 AM

It means that there are no restore points for any other months apart from
the August ones.
Joan

Brenda wrote:
> my restore system will not go to any month but august,
> how can i get it to go to another month to restore there?
August 6, 2004 5:52:53 PM

Michael

Is this "if you are already at 12%, there's nothing else you can do." true?

Not that I would recommend an increase <g>! Other than my question a nice
explanation.

~~~~~~

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
message news:o PNmqiyeEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> As new restore points are created, old restore points are deleted on a
first
> in, first out basis. How old a restore history you have depends upon how
> much disk space you allocate as well as how large the restore points might
> be. You can't control the size of the restore points because they are
based
> on the system state at a given time but you can make some changes to
> allocation of disk space. Open Control Panel, open System, go to the
System
> Restore tab, select a drive and click settings. NOTE: the maximum disk
> space that can be allocated is 12%, if you are already at 12%, there's
> nothing else you can do.
>
> You can try turning off the hibernate feature as that takes a lot of room
> and may be bloating the System Restore file. Open Control Panel, go to
> Display, go to the Screen Saver tab, click the Power button, go to the
> Hibernate tab, and remove the check from Enable Hibernation, click apply
and
> ok.
>
> NOTE: this will not bring back past points but may increase the number and
> depth of history on future restore points.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Brenda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > my restore system will not go to any month but august,
> > how can i get it to go to another month to restore there?

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 5:52:54 PM

There might be a registry hack but at system level, 12% of a given drive is
the maximum.

--

!