Using Norton Ghost with one new hard disk

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 9:05:33 PM

I am upgrading my PC with one new hard disk. I also have a copy of
Norton Ghost with the image files on three CDs. I've used it regularly
to restore partitions.

Question is, how do i use Norton Ghost with a brand new hd drive fitted
as the master, not two hd drives as most guides assume. I will be taking
the old hd drive out, and installing the new one as master.

TIA

More about : norton ghost hard disk

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 9:05:34 PM

<Peterborough Effect> wrote in message
>I am upgrading my PC with one new hard disk. I also have a copy of
> Norton Ghost with the image files on three CDs. I've used it regularly
> to restore partitions.
>
> Question is, how do i use Norton Ghost with a brand new hd drive fitted
> as the master, not two hd drives as most guides assume. I will be taking
> the old hd drive out, and installing the new one as master.
>
> TIA

Create a rescue disk on a bootable CD-Rom. NOTE: I don't know if you can
do that with Ghost, but I'd be surprised if you can't. Acronis True Image
can, and it works well. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2005 9:05:34 PM

<Peterborough Effect> wrote in message

>I am upgrading my PC with one new hard disk. I also have a copy of
> Norton Ghost with the image files on three CDs. I've used it regularly
> to restore partitions.
>
> Question is, how do i use Norton Ghost with a brand new hd drive fitted
> as the master, not two hd drives as most guides assume. I will be taking
> the old hd drive out, and installing the new one as master.

I may be confused about your new configuration, but I assume you are simply
going to replace the old with the new. If so, just do a disk-to-disk clone
in Ghost by attaching both drives, which will take about one min. per
gigabyte.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2005 3:04:00 AM

Bob Davis wrote:

> <Peterborough Effect> wrote in message
>
> >I am upgrading my PC with one new hard disk. I also have a copy of
> > Norton Ghost with the image files on three CDs. I've used it regularly
> > to restore partitions.
> >
> > Question is, how do i use Norton Ghost with a brand new hd drive fitted
> > as the master, not two hd drives as most guides assume. I will be taking
> > the old hd drive out, and installing the new one as master.
>
> I may be confused about your new configuration, but I assume you are simply
> going to replace the old with the new. If so, just do a disk-to-disk clone
> in Ghost by attaching both drives, which will take about one min. per
> gigabyte.

Firstly, thanks to All!! This is the first time I posted to this
group...so thanks!

To put it more clearly. I've used Norton Ghost to restore partitions
from CD-Rs. No sweat [(well maybe a little :-)] This time it will be to
a new HD installed as master (no slave). 80GB replacing a 45 GB drive.

I suppose the steps are:

1. Install HD
2. Power up and enter BIOS so that HD is [hopefully] recognised.
3. Reboot with Norton Ghost boot CD (which is well used).
4. Ah...here comes the tricky part, perhaps. My configuration, at
present is:

C: Win 98 install [FAT 32]
D: FAT 32 (mostly programs)
E: FAT 32 (Data)
F: Win XP [NTFS]

Partitions C and D are linked. I.E. I need both to be restored together.
E is data.
F is XP [progs and data]

All these are on Ghost CDs.

So I guess that the steps are:

A. Restore C and D with Norton Ghost.

B(1). Do I now reboot and format the HD using Partition Magic for E and
F? And then restore with Ghost?

OR

B(2). Keep with Norton Ghost (no reboot) and restore E and F drives. And
only then reboot?

Whether B(1) or B(2) I don't know. What do you think?

Hope this makes sense. TIA.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2005 3:04:52 AM

> Bob Davis wrote:
>>
>> <Peterborough Effect> wrote in message
>>
>> >I am upgrading my PC with one new hard disk. I also have a copy of
>> > Norton Ghost with the image files on three CDs. I've used it regularly
>> > to restore partitions.
>> >
>> > Question is, how do i use Norton Ghost with a brand new hd drive fitted
>> > as the master, not two hd drives as most guides assume. I will be
>> > taking
>> > the old hd drive out, and installing the new one as master.
>>
>> I may be confused about your new configuration, but I assume you are
>> simply
>> going to replace the old with the new. If so, just do a disk-to-disk
>> clone
>> in Ghost by attaching both drives, which will take about one min. per
>> gigabyte.
>
> Firstly, thanks to All!! This is the first time I posted to this
> group...so thanks!
>
> To put it more clearly. I've used Norton Ghost to restore partitions
> from CD-Rs. No sweat [(well maybe a little :-)] This time it will be to
> a new HD installed as master (no slave). 80GB replacing a 45 GB drive.
>
> I suppose the steps are:
>
> 1. Install HD
> 2. Power up and enter BIOS so that HD is [hopefully] recognised.
> 3. Reboot with Norton Ghost boot CD (which is well used).
> 4. Ah...here comes the tricky part, perhaps. My configuration, at
> present is:
>
> C: Win 98 install [FAT 32]
> D: FAT 32 (mostly programs)
> E: FAT 32 (Data)
> F: Win XP [NTFS]
>
> Partitions C and D are linked. I.E. I need both to be restored together.
> E is data.
> F is XP [progs and data]
>
> All these are on Ghost CDs.
>
> So I guess that the steps are:
>
> A. Restore C and D with Norton Ghost.
>
> B(1). Do I now reboot and format the HD using Partition Magic for E and
> F? And then restore with Ghost?
>
> OR
>
> B(2). Keep with Norton Ghost (no reboot) and restore E and F drives. And
> only then reboot?
>
> Whether B(1) or B(2) I don't know. What do you think?
>
> Hope this makes sense. TIA.

I would try doing a disk clone and just see what happens. If you don't like
the result you can punt and try another strategy, as like I mentioned to
Thomas I've only cloned to single-partitioned drives and don't know how it
would handle the space disparity between the two drives. Will it divide the
difference equally? I dunno, but it may ask you during the process how you
want it divided.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2005 1:51:13 AM

"Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message

> <Peterborough Effect> wrote in message
> >

> > Bob Davis wrote:
> >>
> >> <Peterborough Effect> wrote in message

> >> I may be confused about your new configuration, but I assume you are
> >> simply
> >> going to replace the old with the new. If so, just do a disk-to-disk
> >> clone
> >> in Ghost by attaching both drives, which will take about one min. per
> >> gigabyte.
> >
> > Firstly, thanks to All!! This is the first time I posted to this
> > group...so thanks!
> >
> > To put it more clearly. I've used Norton Ghost to restore partitions
> > from CD-Rs. No sweat [(well maybe a little :-)] This time it will be to
> > a new HD installed as master (no slave). 80GB replacing a 45 GB drive.
> >
> > I suppose the steps are:
> >
> > 1. Install HD
> > 2. Power up and enter BIOS so that HD is [hopefully] recognised.
> > 3. Reboot with Norton Ghost boot CD (which is well used).
> > 4. Ah...here comes the tricky part, perhaps. My configuration, at
> > present is:
> >
> > C: Win 98 install [FAT 32]
> > D: FAT 32 (mostly programs)
> > E: FAT 32 (Data)
> > F: Win XP [NTFS]
> >
> > Partitions C and D are linked. I.E. I need both to be restored together.
> > E is data.
> > F is XP [progs and data]
> >
> > All these are on Ghost CDs.
> >
> > So I guess that the steps are:
> >
> > A. Restore C and D with Norton Ghost.
> >
> > B(1). Do I now reboot and format the HD using Partition Magic for E and
> > F? And then restore with Ghost?
> >
> > OR
> >
> > B(2). Keep with Norton Ghost (no reboot) and restore E and F drives. And
> > only then reboot?
> >
> > Whether B(1) or B(2) I don't know. What do you think?
> >
> > Hope this makes sense. TIA.
>
> I would try doing a disk clone and just see what happens. If you don't
like
> the result you can punt and try another strategy, as like I mentioned to
> Thomas I've only cloned to single-partitioned drives and don't know how it
> would handle the space disparity between the two drives. Will it divide
the
> difference equally? I dunno, but it may ask you during the process how
you
> want it divided.

I use Ghost a lot. If you do Drive to Drive you are given a final
screen which lets you resize all the partitions as you wish, it even gives
the original size of each partition.
Mike.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2005 6:24:54 PM

Michael Hawes wrote:

> "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message
> >
> > <Peterborough Effect> wrote in message

> regularly

> fitted

> > > Firstly, thanks to All!! This is the first time I posted to this
> > > group...so thanks!
> > >
> > > To put it more clearly. I've used Norton Ghost to restore partitions
> > > from CD-Rs. No sweat [(well maybe a little :-)] This time it will be to
> > > a new HD installed as master (no slave). 80GB replacing a 45 GB drive.
> > >
> > > I suppose the steps are:
> > >
> > > 1. Install HD
> > > 2. Power up and enter BIOS so that HD is [hopefully] recognised.
> > > 3. Reboot with Norton Ghost boot CD (which is well used).
> > > 4. Ah...here comes the tricky part, perhaps. My configuration, at
> > > present is:
> > >
> > > C: Win 98 install [FAT 32]
> > > D: FAT 32 (mostly programs)
> > > E: FAT 32 (Data)
> > > F: Win XP [NTFS]
> > >
> > > Partitions C and D are linked. I.E. I need both to be restored together.
> > > E is data.
> > > F is XP [progs and data]
> > >
> > > All these are on Ghost CDs.
> > >
> > > So I guess that the steps are:
> > >
> > > A. Restore C and D with Norton Ghost.
> > >
> > > B(1). Do I now reboot and format the HD using Partition Magic for E and
> > > F? And then restore with Ghost?
> > >
> > > OR
> > >
> > > B(2). Keep with Norton Ghost (no reboot) and restore E and F drives. And
> > > only then reboot?
> > >
> > > Whether B(1) or B(2) I don't know. What do you think?
> > >
> > > Hope this makes sense. TIA.
> >
> > I would try doing a disk clone and just see what happens. If you don't
> like
> > the result you can punt and try another strategy, as like I mentioned to
> > Thomas I've only cloned to single-partitioned drives and don't know how it
> > would handle the space disparity between the two drives. Will it divide
> the
> > difference equally? I dunno, but it may ask you during the process how
> you
> > want it divided.
>
> I use Ghost a lot. If you do Drive to Drive you are given a final
> screen which lets you resize all the partitions as you wish, it even gives
> the original size of each partition.
> Mike.

Mike, I can see what you're getting at. I guess I was being cautious
what with dual boot and all, and used a tool which I trust implicitly --
partition magic -- to do the partitions. I also didn't like the idea of
swapping hd drives in and out, as my pc is a bit fiddly to work on and
i'm adverse to mechanics...But it's useful info that Ghost gives that
final screen. If you want something quickly it looks like hd to hd is
the way to go. Do your comment apply also to older ghost progs -- mine
is v 70 114 year 2001?

I sorted the dual boot problem out with a utility called "Btsect25.zip".
I needed a new bootsect.dos file to reflect the new partitioning. BTW
this site where i got the utiity surely is a must for anyone with or
considering dual boot: http://thpc.info/dualboot.html

/PE
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2005 12:57:49 AM

Yes you can, you boot from a ghost floppy disc...

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> <Peterborough Effect> wrote in message
> >I am upgrading my PC with one new hard disk. I also have a copy of
> > Norton Ghost with the image files on three CDs. I've used it regularly
> > to restore partitions.
> >
> > Question is, how do i use Norton Ghost with a brand new hd drive fitted
> > as the master, not two hd drives as most guides assume. I will be taking
> > the old hd drive out, and installing the new one as master.
> >
> > TIA
>
> Create a rescue disk on a bootable CD-Rom. NOTE: I don't know if you can
> do that with Ghost, but I'd be surprised if you can't. Acronis True Image
> can, and it works well. -Dave

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2005 2:12:59 PM

Bottom posting for clarity......

Cecks wrote:

> Yes you can, you boot from a ghost floppy disc...
>
> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
> >
> > <Peterborough Effect> wrote in message
> > >I am upgrading my PC with one new hard disk. I also have a copy of
> > > Norton Ghost with the image files on three CDs. I've used it regularly
> > > to restore partitions.
> > >
> > > Question is, how do i use Norton Ghost with a brand new hd drive fitted
> > > as the master, not two hd drives as most guides assume. I will be taking
> > > the old hd drive out, and installing the new one as master.
> > >
> > > TIA
> >
> > Create a rescue disk on a bootable CD-Rom. NOTE: I don't know if you can
> > do that with Ghost, but I'd be surprised if you can't. Acronis True Image
> > can, and it works well. -Dave

I've been using Ghost with spanned CD-RWs to hold the image since 2001.
A floppy is used to create the image i.e. from HD/partion(s) to CD-RW.
But to /restore/ I use a Ghost Boot CD which imade. Simply change the
BIOS setting to boot from the CD. So far, Ghost has never let me down
once, and that includes spanning 4 CD-RWs.

I've not completed the HD upgrade semi-automatically; I was adverse to
using HD copy because I didn't know how (or if) Ghost 2001 would handle
creating or sizing the HD partitions on new HD. Plus i'm using dual
boot, and XP can be a bit finnicky as to bootsect.dos which is specific
to a given hd configuration (unlike NTLDR and boot.ini which are not pc
specific).

If anyone is reading this and has a dual boot system do take a look at
this site:

http://thpc.info/dualboot.html

The free utility to re-create a new and valid bootsect.dos is brilliant
IMO. Find it here:

http://thpc.info/dual/bootsectdos.html

Thanks to all who gave input on this.

/PE