never changed a cpu?

gavin

Does a pentium 2 400mhz CPU and a pentium 3 500mhz processor have the same
fit fixture and fittings for the mobo?

Secondly does a CPU need a fan and a heatsink, and would there be any point
in buying a cpu without a fan.

Thirdly is there much advantage to changing a p2-400 for a p3-500?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Gavin

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

I upgraded a 400 MHz P2 Dell to a 995 MHz P3. There is (was) a web site
that explained the whole procedure. Nothing to it really, just remove
the old one and install the new one. I wouldn't replace with anything
less than twice the speed.

Good luck, jimbo

jad

"Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does a pentium 2 400mhz CPU and a pentium 3 500mhz processor have
the same
> fit fixture and fittings for the mobo?

if they are both 'slot 1' maybe

> Secondly does a CPU need a fan and a heatsink, and would there be
any point
> in buying a cpu without a fan.

PII PIII most of the time need a cooler

> Thirdly is there much advantage to changing a p2-400 for a p3-500?

sure sse1 to sse2 for some applications this was a decent upgrade

> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Gavin

"Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does a pentium 2 400mhz CPU and a pentium 3 500mhz processor have the same
> fit fixture and fittings for the mobo?
>
> Secondly does a CPU need a fan and a heatsink, and would there be any
> point
> in buying a cpu without a fan.
>
> Thirdly is there much advantage to changing a p2-400 for a p3-500?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Gavin

I'd suggest a Dell. Seriously.

Gavin wrote:
> Does a pentium 2 400mhz CPU and a pentium 3 500mhz processor have the same
> fit fixture and fittings for the mobo?

no

> Secondly does a CPU need a fan and a heatsink,

yes

> and would there be any point
> in buying a cpu without a fan.

yes: attach your own HSF unit.

> Thirdly is there much advantage to changing a p2-400 for a p3-500?

You can't without buying a new motherboard (or some sort of adapter, if
they're still available...if they ever were).

> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Gavin

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

spodosaurus wrote:
> Gavin wrote:
>
>> Does a pentium 2 400mhz CPU and a pentium 3 500mhz processor have the
>> same
>> fit fixture and fittings for the mobo?
>>

> no

assuming slot 1 PII and socket 370 PIII

JAD wrote:
> "Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Does a pentium 2 400mhz CPU and a pentium 3 500mhz processor have
>
> the same
>
>>fit fixture and fittings for the mobo?
>

> if they are both 'slot 1' maybe

There weren't slot 1 PIIIs, only PIIs and Celerons. The PIIIs were
socket 370, along with later celerons.

>>Secondly does a CPU need a fan and a heatsink, and would there be
>
> any point
>
>>in buying a cpu without a fan.
>

> PII PIII most of the time need a cooler
>

>>Thirdly is there much advantage to changing a p2-400 for a p3-500?
>

> sure sse1 to sse2 for some applications this was a decent upgrade
>

>>Thanks in advance for your help.
>>Gavin

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

jad

>There weren't slot 1 PIIIs, only PIIs and Celerons. The PIIIs were
> socket 370, along with later celerons.

don't be silly,

I have 4 - PIII 850mhz 'slot 1' asus P3V4X boarded
systems.........There ARE MANY others.

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> JAD wrote:
> > "Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Does a pentium 2 400mhz CPU and a pentium 3 500mhz processor have
> >
> > the same
> >
> >>fit fixture and fittings for the mobo?
> >

> > if they are both 'slot 1' maybe
>

> >>Secondly does a CPU need a fan and a heatsink, and would there be
> >
> > any point
> >
> >>in buying a cpu without a fan.
> >

> > PII PIII most of the time need a cooler
> >

> >>Thirdly is there much advantage to changing a p2-400 for a p3-500?
> >

> > sure sse1 to sse2 for some applications this was a decent upgrade
> >

> >>Thanks in advance for your help.
> >>Gavin
> >>

> --
> spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
>
> I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
> neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the
end
> of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant.
Many
> people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too.
Please
> volunteer to be a marrow donor:
> http://www.abmdr.org.au/
> http://www.marrow.org/

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> JAD wrote:
> > "Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Does a pentium 2 400mhz CPU and a pentium 3 500mhz processor have
> >
> > the same
> >
> >>fit fixture and fittings for the mobo?
> >

> > if they are both 'slot 1' maybe
>
> There weren't slot 1 PIIIs, only PIIs and Celerons. The PIIIs were
> socket 370, along with later celerons.

I'm typing this message on PIII/450mhz Slot 1 system(Abit BX6r2) BIOS says
it'll take up to 700mhz. I'd suggest going to M/B mfg website and getting
manual and check for BIOS updates.

> >>Secondly does a CPU need a fan and a heatsink, and would there be
> >
> > any point
> >
> >>in buying a cpu without a fan.
> >

> > PII PIII most of the time need a cooler
> >

> >>Thirdly is there much advantage to changing a p2-400 for a p3-500?
> >

> > sure sse1 to sse2 for some applications this was a decent upgrade

In general I agree with previous poster that you should try to double CPU
speeed But if you already have the Slot 1PIII and know that it will allow
you to do something the PII won't then go for it. Being able to capture
video at a higher rate is one thing that comes to mind.YMMV

>>There weren't slot 1 PIIIs, only PIIs and Celerons. The PIIIs were
>>> socket 370, along with later celerons.
>

> don't be silly,
>
> I have 4 - PIII 850mhz 'slot 1' asus P3V4X boarded
> systems.........There ARE MANY others.

Years ago when I looked into upgrading my P2 450 Slot 1, I
discovered that I could go as high as a P3 850 Slot 1 without
having to change anything else at all -- just drop in the new CPU
and go. I didn't bother because it would have cost me an arm and a
leg at the time.

JAD wrote:
>>There weren't slot 1 PIIIs, only PIIs and Celerons. The PIIIs were
>>socket 370, along with later celerons.
>

> don't be silly,
>
> I have 4 - PIII 850mhz 'slot 1' asus P3V4X boarded
> systems.........There ARE MANY others.

You're right, Intel went right up to at least 1GHz with the slot one.

spodosaurus wrote:

> JAD wrote:
>
>> "Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Does a pentium 2 400mhz CPU and a pentium 3 500mhz processor have
>>

>> the same
>>
>>> fit fixture and fittings for the mobo?
>>

>> if they are both 'slot 1' maybe
>

> There weren't slot 1 PIIIs, only PIIs and Celerons.

Where in the world did you get that idea? Slot-1 P-IIIs go all the way from
450MHz to 1.13 gig.

> The PIIIs were
> socket 370,

They, Coppermine P-IIIs, were available in socket 370 TOO. Katami P-IIIs
were only slot-1 because of the 512K cartridge cache.

> along with later celerons.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> >There weren't slot 1 PIIIs, only PIIs and Celerons. The PIIIs were
>> socket 370, along with later celerons.
>

> don't be silly,
>
> I have 4 - PIII 850mhz 'slot 1' asus P3V4X boarded
> systems.........There ARE MANY others.

Where are these morons coming from? This used to be a good informative
group. I have three slot 1 P3's and a slot 1 P2 that came out of a HP
Pavillion
that had a heatsink with no fan and it was convex shaped so that a fan could
not
even be installed. (myth, conjecture and bullshit) does not make for a good
group.

spodosaurus wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
> > Gavin wrote:
> >
> >> Does a pentium 2 400mhz CPU and a pentium 3 500mhz processor have
the
> >> same
> >> fit fixture and fittings for the mobo?
> >>

> > no
>
> assuming slot 1 PII and socket 370 PIII

Yes, but it could be a slot1 PIII!

My old machine had a 350MHz PII, but could be upgraded to a 500HMz PIII!

David Maynard wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> JAD wrote:
>>
>>> "Gavin" <gavin_masonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> the same

>>> if they are both 'slot 1' maybe
>>

>> There weren't slot 1 PIIIs, only PIIs and Celerons.
>

> Where in the world did you get that idea? Slot-1 P-IIIs go all the way
> from 450MHz to 1.13 gig.

And if you read my followup you'll see I acknowledged my mistake well
before any of the tossers decided to chime in without reading it, either...

spodosaurus wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> spodosaurus wrote:

>>> There weren't slot 1 PIIIs, only PIIs and Celerons.
>>

>> Where in the world did you get that idea? Slot-1 P-IIIs go all the way
>> from 450MHz to 1.13 gig.
>>

> And if you read my followup you'll see I acknowledged my mistake well
> before any of the tossers decided to chime in without reading it, either...

Well, I'm sorry but I don't read the whole newsgroup before posting on the
off chance that someone changed their mind later. I just take 'em as they come.

petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>>spodosaurus wrote:

> the

>>>no
>>
>>assuming slot 1 PII and socket 370 PIII
>

> Yes, but it could be a slot1 PIII!
>
> My old machine had a 350MHz PII, but could be upgraded to a 500HMz PIII!

I got a bit turned around thinking about how the CELERONS, rather than
the PIII, swapped over to socket 370 around the 400mhz mark (466), and
the market for slot 1 celerons was pretty bleak soon after the swap over
as everyone was stocking the s370 units, hence the popularity of the
sloket type adapter.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

TRENDING THREADS