  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b ) Power supply
April 30, 2005 10:10:04 PM

Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell or
scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just want to
be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
--
Penni
Hillsborough, NC

More about : power supply needed

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 1, 2005 1:10:28 AM

Check your power source first (the outlet, surge protector, UPS, etc.). If
that proves good, you will need an AC voltmeter to check that power is
getting through the power cable. Also, check to see if the power supply has
a 'reset' button.....some do, some don't.
Heirloom, old and decent power supplies aren't real
expensive

"Penni" <Penni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
> disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
> everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell or
> scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just want
> be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
> --
> Penni
> Hillsborough, NC
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 1, 2005 1:10:29 AM

Power source is good, cable is good b/c I connected another CPU (Win95) to it
and all was fine. Power supply doesn't have a reset button (that stinks), but
checked online for match and found one at bareboneskit.net for $50. Would you
know if this is a reputable site? Tigerdirect didn't seem to have what I
wanted. Hoping it's just the PS and nothing major!

Kind regards for the quick reply. :)
Penni
Related resources
May 1, 2005 1:10:29 AM

Check the ON/OFF switch on the back of the case that pertains to the power
supply itself.

"Heirloom" <heirloom@void.void> wrote in message
> Check your power source first (the outlet, surge protector, UPS, etc.).
> If that proves good, you will need an AC voltmeter to check that power is
> getting through the power cable. Also, check to see if the power supply
> has a 'reset' button.....some do, some don't.
> Heirloom, old and decent power supplies aren't real
> expensive
>

> "Penni" <Penni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
>> disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
>> everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell
>> or
>> scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just
>> want to
>> be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
>> --
>> Penni
>> Hillsborough, NC

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 1, 2005 5:20:52 AM

Check the fuse.

Rick

Penni wrote:
> Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
> disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
> everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell or
> scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just want to
> be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 1, 2005 5:06:13 PM

does the PSU have it's own on/off switch (at rear of the case) - in addition
to the "power" button on the front of the unit? Is that button in the "on"
position?

"Penni" <Penni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
> disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
> everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell or
> scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just want
> be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
> --
> Penni
> Hillsborough, NC
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2005 1:44:29 AM

Office renovations? does this include rewiring power outlets? have you
tried a different outlet in case the one you've used is a "dud"?

"Penni" <Penni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
> disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
> everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell or
> scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just want
> be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
> --
> Penni
> Hillsborough, NC
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 4, 2005 9:27:19 AM

If you have an on/off button on the front of the computer, it connects to
the motherboard at two locations, PW and Reset.If the PW connection is loose
the power supply won't turn on.
news:o xi$9Y%23TFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

!