New power supply needed

Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell or
scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just want to
be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
--
Penni
Hillsborough, NC

    Check your power source first (the outlet, surge protector, UPS, etc.). If
    that proves good, you will need an AC voltmeter to check that power is
    getting through the power cable. Also, check to see if the power supply has
    a 'reset' button.....some do, some don't.
    Heirloom, old and decent power supplies aren't real
    expensive

    "Penni" <Penni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
    > disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
    > everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell or
    > scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just want
    > be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
    > --
    > Penni
    > Hillsborough, NC

    Power source is good, cable is good b/c I connected another CPU (Win95) to it
    and all was fine. Power supply doesn't have a reset button (that stinks), but
    checked online for match and found one at bareboneskit.net for $50. Would you
    know if this is a reputable site? Tigerdirect didn't seem to have what I
    wanted. Hoping it's just the PS and nothing major!

    Kind regards for the quick reply. :)
    Penni

    Check the ON/OFF switch on the back of the case that pertains to the power
    supply itself.

    "Heirloom" <heirloom@void.void> wrote in message
    > Check your power source first (the outlet, surge protector, UPS, etc.).
    > If that proves good, you will need an AC voltmeter to check that power is
    > getting through the power cable. Also, check to see if the power supply
    > has a 'reset' button.....some do, some don't.
    > Heirloom, old and decent power supplies aren't real
    > expensive
    >

    > "Penni" <Penni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
    >> disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
    >> everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell
    >> or
    >> scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just
    >> want to
    >> be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
    >> --
    >> Penni
    >> Hillsborough, NC

    Check the fuse.

    Rick

    Penni wrote:
    > Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
    > disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
    > everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell or
    > scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just want to
    > be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!

    does the PSU have it's own on/off switch (at rear of the case) - in addition
    to the "power" button on the front of the unit? Is that button in the "on"
    position?

    "Penni" <Penni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
    > disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
    > everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell or
    > scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just want
    > be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
    > --
    > Penni
    > Hillsborough, NC

    Office renovations? does this include rewiring power outlets? have you
    tried a different outlet in case the one you've used is a "dud"?

    "Penni" <Penni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
    > disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
    > everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell or
    > scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just want
    > be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
    > --
    > Penni
    > Hillsborough, NC

    If you have an on/off button on the front of the computer, it connects to
    the motherboard at two locations, PW and Reset.If the PW connection is loose
    the power supply won't turn on.
    "Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > Office renovations? does this include rewiring power outlets? have you
    > tried a different outlet in case the one you've used is a "dud"?
    >
    > "Penni" <Penni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Was in the process of installing wireless card to winME. System has been
    > > disconnected/no power for sometime due to office renovation. Plugged
    > > everything back up - guess what, no power. Took the cover off, no smell
    or
    > > scorch marks that I can see. My guess is a new power supply, but just
    want
    > > be sure before I go out and buy one. Thanks much!
    > > --
    > > Penni
    > > Hillsborough, NC

Power Supplies Power Windows