flashing one's bios in Win2k

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ive got the bios update file...
and the flashing program...
how do i actually do it?
how do i get a protected dos mode happening?
so i can actually use the flash program.

thanx in advance

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Whenever I flashed my bios from Win2K I would just boot up using a win98 boot disk and then run the flash program. It seemed to work fine for me.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned in life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmmms. yes i can do that!
got a recent 98 boot disk around here...
*thinks* but it wont recognise my NTFS drive with the flash utility...
*branewave*
i can copy it to the floppy! or to my 2nd drives 2nd partition, which is still fat32!
cool.
worked it out now

thanx

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
The BIOS has nothing to do with the hard drive. Even if your hard drive isn't recognized, just run the utility and steps. I'm using a boot disk made from Win98, and I'm not running Win2K alone, on a NTFS partition. The flashing is just for the BIOS, and doesn't take anything from the hard drive.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I concur. The one time I DARED to flash my bios, I copied the flash program and the bios update to the startup floppy disk. It's also a good idea to make a backup of the old bios, just in case something goes wrong.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeees...
i know that.
what i was trying to say was that if i boot up using a win98 floppy i better copy of the flash utility & file off beforehand, as win98 doesnt recognise my NTFS partitions.

logical yes?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
me too!
running my ram at 150, cas 2 is foreplay...
flashing my bios is... well.. u know *grin*
lol

p.s. my hamster is telling me to say all this!

My Hamster has 512MB of SDRAM @ 150Mhz CAS 2!

G

get a blank floppy, load windows 2000. Click on start and run then type cmd.
when in the command prompty type format a: /s
this will make your floppy disk bootable. Then copy your flash utility to the floppy and the flash upgrade. Reboot your machine with the floppy, it will boot up to the a drive and then run your flash utility.

----------------------------------
I bought a pentium once!
Everybody makes mistakes..

hypnotic_kumquat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
...load windows 2000....when in the command prompty type format a: /s
this will make your floppy disk bootable
The "/a" switch isn't supported in either NT4 or 2000. Use Win9x.

-hyp

"Let's take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection clean the gene pool!"

G

Well, DUH!!

What if you don't HAVE Win98? I'm doing a clean install of W2k on virginal hardware that I'm trying not to defile with Win98 anything.

This is the 21st century after all, and I hate Windows 98. What do I do?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I'm Supreme Ruler of the Third Planet from the Sun, printer-friendly formats shall be LAW.

hypnotic_kumquat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, I mean't there isn't an "/S" switch in 2000. (It IS supported in Win9x.) The "/S" means copy the DOS system files & boot sector to the floppy in order to make it bootable.

"Let's take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection clean the gene pool!"

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
hmm thougfht thats probly what you meant :), doesnt have it in ME either- dam annoying too, anyway, the dude with the prob hasnt posted back so maybe he fixed it.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*grins* oh yes. i fixed it. about 2 weeks ago infact. though you dilligent, smart, whitty and handsome posters sure helped :)
(for those of you who cannot identify with the above words, my apologies) LOL

and yes, i have been rooting around with winDOZE for many years. so i know about /S on format. and it did not work.

Lucky for me i was smart enough to make a win98 boot disk before i cerimoniously NUKED 98 forever.
Thus i copied all my flashing stuff to the one partition that still was FAT32, booted of the floppy and flashed it.
no probs.

happy computer. been running for almost 4 days straight now, no reboots at all!
(100% SETI@home too)

PooBaa & Hamster

I think im going crazy and hearing voices, but my Hamster says im not!