Ati radeon 3850

dorkish

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Hey, I installed Windows 7 last night and everything was going fine, until it finished and I got to the desktop. For some reason, my computer no longer recognizes my graphics card, a Radeon 3850. I installed all the new Windows 7 drivers for it, did windows update, everything I could think of and still no luck. It does not find a device when i go to add devices. Any ideas? I'm pretty desperate now

arges86

Distinguished
do you have your DVI (or whatever connection you use) cable plugged into the card?
I'd try device manager, see if you can uninstall the device.
If you did a clean install of the OS & you left the older one, check that OS and see if the card is still there.
You can try taking the card out, cleaning the connections, and putting it back in. Make sure the fan on the card is spinning (that would indicate if the card is receiving power or not)

dorkish

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
it is plugged in, all the cords are plugged in correctly. It worked perfectly fine up until I finished installing Windows 7 last night, and since then I cannot get the computer to recognize it. Device manager can't locate the card either, so that option isnt working. I reinstalled and transferred everything over from my old OS (XP) onto this one now, and still no luck. I guess i'll go disconnect it and try that approach

karlh

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I had all kinds of issues with XP and an AGP 3850. The drivers that came in the retail box worked but when I tried to update to the latest drivers the driver instalation program didn't recognize that the card and wouldn't proceed. I exchanged it for another with the same result. I wasn't impressed at all to say the least. I have a PCI-E 4850 that installed into XP and later win7 without any issues whatsoever. Though my experience was limited with the 3850 I got the feeling that there was a reason it was on sale so cheap.

I assume you didn't just buy the card so returning in an option for you. Does the video work during any point of the boot process, if so when you notice the video no longer working as it should? If you see can't see it during the intial processes that are run via the BIOS, then the issue would go beyond a Win7 driver.

G

have exactly the same problem Dell quad with 3850. upgrade to win 7. screen goes blank, cannot load in safe mode. cannot find the drive. 15 hours later still scratchin my head.

Any ideas

dorkish

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
have exactly the same problem Dell quad with 3850. upgrade to win 7. screen goes blank, cannot load in safe mode. cannot find the drive. 15 hours later still scratchin my head.

Any ideas

i still havent figured mine out, im probably going to end up buying a new comp over the christmas break