Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows shut down

Last response: in Windows 7
March 4, 2011 11:13:33 PM

Windows 7 64bit Professional was taking 4 minutes to shut down. I slick the system and reinstall from scratch. After re-installing all programs i was getting 20-30 seconds shut down. Now the system has just gone back to 4 minutes shut downs. I haven't load anything new.

I would like to know what I should expect the shut down time be? Although I have Internet security/anti virus software. It said the my system is clean of malware.

Is there anything I could check for that might be causing the slow shut down (the hard disk is in constant activity during the shutdown.

Ken

More about : windows shut

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2011 11:45:29 PM

I would review your Resource Manager to see what processes are running in the background. Typically the long delay is caused by the programs closing down in the background.

Also, you can look at change WaitToKillServiceTimeout to 1,000 (or 5,000 or so if you receive hang ups), which will help speed up the shutdown (a tweak used for SSD's)

Method
  • Type Regedit into the Start Menu Box;
  • Select the file path: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control”
  • The last file is WaitToKillServiceTimeout.
  • Right Click and select Modify to change the value from 12000 to 1000.
  • Restart.

March 5, 2011 12:21:50 AM

I just remember that I installed a Flash update. I did a restore and the shutdown time is lots better. You information is also a great help to speeding up my shut down times. Thanks

Ken
    m
    l
    Related resources
    March 5, 2011 12:22:01 AM

Best answer selected by khhigdon.
    m
    l
    !