Desktop has gone black

I don't know if this was caused by a virus or not but my wallpaper has gone
and my desktop is completely black. It still has icons and they work. When
I right click on the desktop I no longer get the popup menu I used to get. I
get a simple one allowing me to select a screensaver and size settings. I
cannot select wallpaper and my active desktop options are gone.
Does anyone know what files might be corrupt and need replacing? Any other
ideas would be appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about desktop black

    Some malwares do this

    You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

    Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    CoolWebSearch hijacker.

    Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (download it without the accompanying rubbish)

    download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    your system.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "PeteC" <PeteC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I don't know if this was caused by a virus or not but my wallpaper has gone
    > and my desktop is completely black. It still has icons and they work.
    > When
    > I right click on the desktop I no longer get the popup menu I used to get.
    > get a simple one allowing me to select a screensaver and size settings. I
    > cannot select wallpaper and my active desktop options are gone.
    > Does anyone know what files might be corrupt and need replacing? Any
    > other
    > ideas would be appreciated.

    Noel,
    Thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely try them but I did run an
    updated McAffie scan and Adaware as well as Spy-Bot. I did find some malware
    and deleted it, but I'm guessing the harm's already been done and don't know
    how to fix it. I should also mention that I thought of using system restore
    but when I did, there were no restore points available.

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > Some malwares do this
    >
    > You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
    >
    > download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    > viruses are not present on your PC
    > http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
    >
    > - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
    >
    > Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    > CoolWebSearch hijacker.
    > http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
    >
    > Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    > http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    > (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
    >
    > download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    > update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    > your system.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "PeteC" <PeteC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I don't know if this was caused by a virus or not but my wallpaper has gone
    > > and my desktop is completely black. It still has icons and they work.
    > > When
    > > I right click on the desktop I no longer get the popup menu I used to get.
    > > get a simple one allowing me to select a screensaver and size settings. I
    > > cannot select wallpaper and my active desktop options are gone.
    > > Does anyone know what files might be corrupt and need replacing? Any
    > > other
    > > ideas would be appreciated.

    Hmmm - Does Control Panel work OK?
    Are you saying that SR had absolutely no points available?? - not even for
    today?

    Before doing anything I should try to get SR working again - start with a
    reset.

    To Reset System Restore -
    System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check
    "Disable System Restore",
    Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot.
    This will flush you restore folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
    System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck
    "Disable System Restore",
    Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot.
    This should now automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following
    the restart.
    Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder,
    System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider
    to your preferred setting.

    Most people find that a setting of 200-300MB is sufficient to hold 10-15
    days worth of restore points, unless you are doing a lot of
    installs/uninstalls, or installing large applications (such as Office).

    --

    > Noel,
    > Thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely try them but I did run an
    > updated McAffie scan and Adaware as well as Spy-Bot. I did find some
    > malware
    > and deleted it, but I'm guessing the harm's already been done and don't
    > know
    > how to fix it. I should also mention that I thought of using system
    > restore
    > but when I did, there were no restore points available.
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> Some malwares do this
    >>
    >> You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
    >>
    >> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    >> viruses are not present on your PC
    >> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
    >>
    >> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
    >>
    >> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    >> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
    >> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
    >>
    >> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    >> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    >> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
    >>
    >> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    >> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    >> your system.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "PeteC" <PeteC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I don't know if this was caused by a virus or not but my wallpaper has
    >> >gone
    >> > and my desktop is completely black. It still has icons and they work.
    >> > When
    >> > I right click on the desktop I no longer get the popup menu I used to
    >> > get.
    >> > get a simple one allowing me to select a screensaver and size settings.
    >> > cannot select wallpaper and my active desktop options are gone.
    >> > Does anyone know what files might be corrupt and need replacing? Any
    >> > other
    >> > ideas would be appreciated.

    Pete,

    Wondering if this could be caused by some driver issue.

    Check in Device Manager > Display Adapter if your video card is being correctly reported.

    Zee

    "PeteC" <PeteC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBE96E49-1E52-4350-920B-76609976F9A1@microsoft.com...
    > I don't know if this was caused by a virus or not but my wallpaper has gone
    > and my desktop is completely black. It still has icons and they work. When
    > I right click on the desktop I no longer get the popup menu I used to get. I
    > get a simple one allowing me to select a screensaver and size settings. I
    > cannot select wallpaper and my active desktop options are gone.
    > Does anyone know what files might be corrupt and need replacing? Any other
    > ideas would be appreciated.

Desktops Wallpaper Microsoft Windows