LCD info display.

I would like to know what LCD info display software is out there, that
can use a parallel Hitachi compatible LCD Character display to display
stuff such as CPU temperature/useage, CPU/System fan speeds, Ram/HDD
useage,and Winamp/iTunes tracks.

I need it to work on a display wired in 4 bit mode.

Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I would like to know what LCD info display software is out there,
>that can use a parallel Hitachi compatible LCD Character display to
>display stuff such as CPU temperature/useage, CPU/System fan
>speeds, Ram/HDD useage,and Winamp/iTunes tracks.
>I need it to work on a display wired in 4 bit mode.

What is a "parallel Hitachi compatible LCD character display"? Could
you provide a link?

Are you talking about attaching an LCD display to a parallel printer
port on some Hitachi computer?

I would think the manufacturer/maker of your parallel Hitachi
compatible LCD Character display would be a good resource. I would
try searching the archives to find possibly a better group for your
question.

Good luck.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:15:27 GMT, John Doe
<jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:

>Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I would like to know what LCD info display software is out there,
>>that can use a parallel Hitachi compatible LCD Character display to
>>display stuff such as CPU temperature/useage, CPU/System fan
>>speeds, Ram/HDD useage,and Winamp/iTunes tracks.
>>I need it to work on a display wired in 4 bit mode.
>
>What is a "parallel Hitachi compatible LCD character display"? Could
>you provide a link?

It is a near industry standard dot matrix character LCD, based on the
Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller. It is used in all sorts of embedded
systems. I have around 4 here, form a printer, cell phone, fax
machine, and a data entry keypad. Lots of surplus places sell them.

>Are you talking about attaching an LCD display to a parallel printer
>port on some Hitachi computer?

No, standard LPT port on generic wintel PC.

>I would think the manufacturer/maker of your parallel Hitachi
>compatible LCD Character display would be a good resource. I would
>try searching the archives to find possibly a better group for your
>question.
>
>Good luck.

They aren't. All they provide is a datasheet for the chip. They leave
it up to the end user to interface it to their system and write
software for it.

Without re-inventing the wheel, I need to know what software out there
now that I can get that will let me use this compatible display to
display such info, highly preferably using 4 bit mode (those that know
about these LCDs know what I mean).

Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote:
>John Doe <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:

>It is a near industry standard dot matrix character LCD, based on
>the Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller.

Driven by that controller. You probably won't find software for a
liquid crystal display.

>> Are you talking about attaching an LCD display to a parallel
>> printer port on some Hitachi computer?
>
>No, standard LPT port on generic wintel PC.

Semantically speaking, I think the LPT port is called a parallel
printer port as well.

>Without re-inventing the wheel, I need to know what software out
>there now that I can get that will let me use this compatible
>display to display such info, highly preferably using 4 bit mode
>(those that know about these LCDs know what I mean).

I think you need software for the controller.

After doing a quick Usenet archive search, apparently those who know
best about software for Hitachi HD44780 LCD controllers are in
(sci.electronics.*) groups.

sci.electronics.basics
sci.electronics.design
sci.electronics.misc

http://tinyurl.com/6wanu

You're welcome.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:51:16 GMT, John Doe
<jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:

>Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>John Doe <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:
>
>>It is a near industry standard dot matrix character LCD, based on
>>the Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller.
>
>Driven by that controller. You probably won't find software for a
>liquid crystal display.

It is out there, I have seen it before.
I am jus looking for more specific versions for one in 4 bit mode.

>>> Are you talking about attaching an LCD display to a parallel
>>> printer port on some Hitachi computer?
>>
>>No, standard LPT port on generic wintel PC.
>
>Semantically speaking, I think the LPT port is called a parallel
>printer port as well.

Whatever.

>>Without re-inventing the wheel, I need to know what software out
>>there now that I can get that will let me use this compatible
>>display to display such info, highly preferably using 4 bit mode
>>(those that know about these LCDs know what I mean).
>
>I think you need software for the controller.

The controler has its own software hard coded into it. The interface
is plain simple, as I can display things with a few lines of code.

I am looking of a complete Windows software package that can display
the data I need. I ask here because it is more PC related than
hardware.

>After doing a quick Usenet archive search, apparently those who know
>best about software for Hitachi HD44780 LCD controllers are in
>(sci.electronics.*) groups.
>
>sci.electronics.basics
>sci.electronics.design
>sci.electronics.misc
>
>http://tinyurl.com/6wanu
>
>You're welcome.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:13:42 -0500, Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com>
wrote:
[snip...snip...]
>The controler has its own software hard coded into it. The interface
>is plain simple, as I can display things with a few lines of code.
>
>I am looking of a complete Windows software package that can display
>the data I need. I ask here because it is more PC related than
>hardware.

If I were to do something like this, I'd probably stick a small
microcontroller on the board with the character LCD display. Let the uC
handle the low-level stuff with the LCD on the one side and have it
receive the data structures I was interested in from the PC on the other
side, probably via the serial port.

That has the advantage of also supporting a few thermistors or other
voltage monitors, run off of the uC's A/D ports, independent of the
state of the PC's CPU.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:56:27 GMT, Rich Webb
<bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:13:42 -0500, Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>[snip...snip...]
>>The controler has its own software hard coded into it. The interface
>>is plain simple, as I can display things with a few lines of code.
>>
>>I am looking of a complete Windows software package that can display
>>the data I need. I ask here because it is more PC related than
>>hardware.
>
>If I were to do something like this, I'd probably stick a small
>microcontroller on the board with the character LCD display. Let the uC
>handle the low-level stuff with the LCD on the one side and have it
>receive the data structures I was interested in from the PC on the other
>side, probably via the serial port.
>
>That has the advantage of also supporting a few thermistors or other
>voltage monitors, run off of the uC's A/D ports, independent of the
>state of the PC's CPU.

Now, does anybody have ready to go code for an Atmel AT90s2313 or
2332? The low level stuff really isn't that low that a PC couldn't do
it.

Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:51:16 GMT, John Doe
><jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:
>> Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> It is a near industry standard dot matrix character LCD, based
>>> on the Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller.
>>
>> Driven by that controller. You probably won't find software for a
>> liquid crystal display.
>
>It is out there, I have seen it before.

You're talking about something more involved than an LCD, an LCD
module I guess. You have specified the controller but not the LCD
module. Finding software for something unknown is very difficult.

>I am jus looking for more specific versions for one in 4 bit mode.

For one what?

>The interface is plain simple, as I can display things with a few
>lines of code. I am looking of a complete Windows software package
>that can display the data I need. I ask here because it is more PC
>related than hardware.

The only thing you have specified is the controller. Until now, that
controller has never been discussed in this group, not ever. It has
been discussed many times in the (sci.electronics.*) groups I
referred you to.

There are a lot of PC related users in most Usenet groups,
especially technical groups.

Unless you specify something more than the controller, you will
continue having a very difficult time finding whatever software
you're looking for.

>From: Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com>
>From: Gary J. Tait <classicsat @yahoo.com>
>Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>Subject: Re: LCD info display.
>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:13:42 -0500

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 04:06:24 GMT, John Doe
<jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:

>Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:51:16 GMT, John Doe
>><jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:

>>> Driven by that controller. You probably won't find software for a
>>> liquid crystal display.
>>
>>It is out there, I have seen it before.
>
>You're talking about something more involved than an LCD, an LCD
>module I guess. You have specified the controller but not the LCD
>module. Finding software for something unknown is very difficult.

The conteoller is fairly standard, and fairly easy to interface to and
write code for (Just I don't have the resources to write code for an
XP system)

>>I am jus looking for more specific versions for one in 4 bit mode.
>
>For one what?

For to use the module in 4 bit mode (which I have to, because the
lower 4 bits are unavailable to me.)

>>The interface is plain simple, as I can display things with a few
>>lines of code. I am looking of a complete Windows software package
>>that can display the data I need. I ask here because it is more PC
>>related than hardware.
>
>The only thing you have specified is the controller. Until now, that
>controller has never been discussed in this group, not ever. It has
>been discussed many times in the (sci.electronics.*) groups I
>referred you to.

It is a standard controller chip, andbody that knows what it is knows
immediately what I am talking about.

>There are a lot of PC related users in most Usenet groups,
>especially technical groups.
>
>Unless you specify something more than the controller, you will
>continue having a very difficult time finding whatever software
>you're looking for.

There is nothing left to say, that chip (and its clone) is almost an
industry standard. All display modules that have it work practcally
the same. Its like saying paralell port, they all work the same.

>>From: Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com>
>>From: Gary J. Tait <classicsat @yahoo.com>
>>Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>>Subject: Re: LCD info display.
>>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:13:42 -0500

Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Now, does anybody have ready to go code for an Atmel AT90s2313 or
>2332? The low level stuff really isn't that low that a PC couldn't
>do it.

alt.dss.hack
comp.arch.embedded.*
alt.dbs.echostar.hack
alt.dss.tech

>From: Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com>
>From: Gary J. Tait <classicsat @yahoo.com>
>Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>Subject: Re: LCD info display.
>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:35:59 -0500

Off topic, unresponsive.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:35:59 -0500, Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Now, does anybody have ready to go code for an Atmel AT90s2313 or
>2332? The low level stuff really isn't that low that a PC couldn't do
>it.

It's not very difficult assembler code. There are examples (not
necessarily for the AT90S2313 but portable across the AVR family) at
www.avrfreaks.net and (I'm pretty sure) appnotes at www.atmel.com.
A link to some example routines (in the project code) at
http://www.barello.net/Robots/Dilbert2/index.htm

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:17:56 GMT, Rich Webb
<bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:35:59 -0500, Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Now, does anybody have ready to go code for an Atmel AT90s2313 or
>>2332? The low level stuff really isn't that low that a PC couldn't do
>>it.
>
>It's not very difficult assembler code. There are examples (not
>necessarily for the AT90S2313 but portable across the AVR family) at
>www.avrfreaks.net and (I'm pretty sure) appnotes at www.atmel.com.
>A link to some example routines (in the project code) at
>http://www.barello.net/Robots/Dilbert2/index.htm

I know how to write simple code use the module. I don't really know
assmebler enough to write significant code for it. The AVfreaks site
requires registation, I won't do that to find nothing.

I say again ready to go code (maybe even a bin) is what I need, or
Windows PC software.