Tried to save a few bucks but got more than gargained for

pinenut

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005

The Internet price comparison services like PriceWatch, PriceGrab, etc
do useful function by helping people save some money.

I was going to buy a 3Com LAN card to use with Solaris 10. I was
directed to http://www.computerasset.com by one of those price
comparison services.

I placed an order with ComputerAsset on Jan 9. On Friday, Jan 14, I
checked its web site to track the order and it said the order was in
progress, which was the same response I had gotten for the last five
days. I tried to call its tall-free number but it was out of order.

I called its regular pay phone number and some one answered. I gave
him the order number and he could not tell me what was going on with
the order. He promised to call me back after he did some looking into
in. He did call me back but could not tell me if the order had been
shipped. I demanded to get a better explanation and he offered to
cancel the order.

Incidentally, I paid it via PayPal. I have been sending a total of 4
e-mail requests to issue credit to my PayPal account.

I got a confirmation of refund from PayPal today. Although it was not
an expensive item, I had been very annoyed by the poor service and
follow-up by the outfit. After I received the refund, I checked their
web site aging because I was quite curious with their order tracking
system. It still said, "In progress."

I think we should stick with those outfits we have been happy with
although they cost a few bucks more.