Comm port invalid or busy

HELP! I've tried almost everything listed on these message boards to
resolve my comm port problem.

I have Windows XP. AOL 9.0. I use my modem for dial-up when away from
home. It runs (or used to) on comm port 3. I use broadband at home.
Until last week, both dial-up and broadband worked fine. Then, all of
a sudden, I couldn't dial-out anymore...receiving the dreaded message
"com port invalid or busy". I haven't added new hardware or software.
Broadband still works fine.

I've checked all my devices for conflicts and/or problems. All are
fine. I've uninstalled the Toshiba modem, and reinstalled. Modem
diagnostics say it's working fine. Changed serialkey settings. Didn't
help. I've deleted, changed, updated the AOL Adapter.

I'm ready to throw this laptop out the window!!

Anybody have ideas for resolution?

88keys@bellsouth.net wrote:

> I have Windows XP. AOL 9.0.

> I'm ready to throw this laptop out the window!!
>
> Anybody have ideas for resolution?

You could toss it over to one of the XP newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.*

.... this'uns for Windows Millenium

Rick