second 512dmb ddr not showing up

I added a second 512mb DDR pc4000 dimm to my Soltek Nforce3 Athlon64
system and it does not show during post or within WinXP. I have tried
all combinations of the 2 memory modules and the 2 memory slots and
only one of the 2 dimms will ever show up. Either dimm will work fine
alone in either slot but together I can only get one to show in POST.
The 2 dimms are as follows: OCZ 512mb pc4000 Rev3 and Corsair XMS4000
512mb. According to the manual the board should work with upto 2 1GB
DIMMS. Any help would be appreciated. I have e-mail Soltek tech
support but heard nothing yet.

jad

if its not seen in the bios windows is not going to see it either.
change positions or double check the memory requirements
watch out for density problems

<wtclouse@excite.com> wrote in message
> I added a second 512mb DDR pc4000 dimm to my Soltek Nforce3 Athlon64
> system and it does not show during post or within WinXP. I have
tried
> all combinations of the 2 memory modules and the 2 memory slots and
> only one of the 2 dimms will ever show up. Either dimm will work
fine
> alone in either slot but together I can only get one to show in
POST.
> The 2 dimms are as follows: OCZ 512mb pc4000 Rev3 and Corsair
XMS4000
> 512mb. According to the manual the board should work with upto 2
1GB
> DIMMS. Any help would be appreciated. I have e-mail Soltek tech
> support but heard nothing yet.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Both dimms are double sided. I'm going to try setting all memory
performance parameters manually in the BIOS and see what happens.

The non-matching RAM sticks seem to be conflicting with each other. You
should ideally be using two sticks of IDENTICAL RAM. And you MUST use such
a combination if you want to use the dual channel feature of the board.

--
DaveW

<wtclouse@excite.com> wrote in message
>I added a second 512mb DDR pc4000 dimm to my Soltek Nforce3 Athlon64
> system and it does not show during post or within WinXP. I have tried
> all combinations of the 2 memory modules and the 2 memory slots and
> only one of the 2 dimms will ever show up. Either dimm will work fine
> alone in either slot but together I can only get one to show in POST.
> The 2 dimms are as follows: OCZ 512mb pc4000 Rev3 and Corsair XMS4000
> 512mb. According to the manual the board should work with upto 2 1GB
> DIMMS. Any help would be appreciated. I have e-mail Soltek tech
> support but heard nothing yet.

predator

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

the bios docs should have clues to why it doesn't work. Maybe single
sided/double sided mismatches etc?

<wtclouse@excite.com> wrote in message
>I added a second 512mb DDR pc4000 dimm to my Soltek Nforce3 Athlon64
> system and it does not show during post or within WinXP. I have tried
> all combinations of the 2 memory modules and the 2 memory slots and
> only one of the 2 dimms will ever show up. Either dimm will work fine
> alone in either slot but together I can only get one to show in POST.
> The 2 dimms are as follows: OCZ 512mb pc4000 Rev3 and Corsair XMS4000
> 512mb. According to the manual the board should work with upto 2 1GB
> DIMMS. Any help would be appreciated. I have e-mail Soltek tech
> support but heard nothing yet.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Nforce3 250 chipset is NOT a dual channel chipset. The Nforce4 chipset
is the dual channel Athlon64 chipset.

But I have had no trouble in the past of using non-identical memory
modules in Nforce2 dual channel boards as long as both are the same
size.

On 27 Jan 2005 09:49:23 -0800 Not alowing their prejudice to rule
their future wtclouse@excite.com wrote :

>I added a second 512mb DDR pc4000 dimm to my Soltek Nforce3 Athlon64
>system and it does not show during post or within WinXP. I have tried
>all combinations of the 2 memory modules and the 2 memory slots and
>only one of the 2 dimms will ever show up. Either dimm will work fine
>alone in either slot but together I can only get one to show in POST.
>The 2 dimms are as follows: OCZ 512mb pc4000 Rev3 and Corsair XMS4000
>512mb. According to the manual the board should work with upto 2 1GB
>DIMMS. Any help would be appreciated. I have e-mail Soltek tech
>support but heard nothing yet.

Do as you have done and see if there's a BIOS update that may have a
fix for it?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:36:50 -0500 Not alowing their prejudice to rule
their future "Predator" <predator.this@predator.that> wrote :

>the bios docs should have clues to why it doesn't work. Maybe single
>sided/double sided mismatches etc?

Good call.
Also maybe altering the Cas latency to a slower speed may help?
Or the RAM speed?

><wtclouse@excite.com> wrote in message
>>I added a second 512mb DDR pc4000 dimm to my Soltek Nforce3 Athlon64
>> system and it does not show during post or within WinXP. I have tried
>> all combinations of the 2 memory modules and the 2 memory slots and
>> only one of the 2 dimms will ever show up. Either dimm will work fine
>> alone in either slot but together I can only get one to show in POST.
>> The 2 dimms are as follows: OCZ 512mb pc4000 Rev3 and Corsair XMS4000
>> 512mb. According to the manual the board should work with upto 2 1GB
>> DIMMS. Any help would be appreciated. I have e-mail Soltek tech
>> support but heard nothing yet.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

On 27 Jan 2005 16:45:32 -0800 Not alowing their prejudice to rule
their future "Tom" <wtclouse@excite.com> wrote :

>Nforce3 250 chipset is NOT a dual channel chipset. The Nforce4 chipset
>is the dual channel Athlon64 chipset.
>
>But I have had no trouble in the past of using non-identical memory
>modules in Nforce2 dual channel boards as long as both are the same
>size.

Ignore DaveW he's got about as much sense as an Amoeba trying to do
a,"Two-Step"<BFG> :D

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have tried manually setting all the mem timings in the bios but it
makes no difference. I'm gonna try 2 256mb dimms I have running
together in another system and see if they work together in this one.
I have still not heard a response from Soltek tech support. I wish
there was a Soltek group but I have not found one yet.

On 28 Jan 2005 11:22:02 -0800 Not alowing their prejudice to rule
their future "Tom" <wtclouse@excite.com> wrote :

>I have tried manually setting all the mem timings in the bios but it
>makes no difference. I'm gonna try 2 256mb dimms I have running
>together in another system and see if they work together in this one.
>I have still not heard a response from Soltek tech support. I wish
>there was a Soltek group but I have not found one yet.

I have to suspect that a RAM stick is faulty or not up-to-spec(Just
coz it says it's a so-so-and-so on the stick don't mean it is) :/

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I can run either stick at 220 mhz alone perfectly fine. But together
at any bus speed only one will be detected. I'm leaning toward some
odd incompatibility between the 2 more than any defect in either
module. I'm still hoping to here somthing from Soltek.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I replaced the Corsair module with another OCZ module and it works fine
now. Now shows 1gb during POST. I put the Corsair in another system
that already had 2 256mb 400mhz modules and it works fine there.