Windows Update kills Roxio?

I just tried to use my Roxio software to burn a CD. First time I've used it in
a month or so.

Upon starting Creator Classic I got:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: ...LES\ROXIO\EASY CD CREATOR 6\EASY CD CREATOR\CREATORC.EXE
abnormal program termination

followed by:

Creatorc
Creatorc has caused an error in CREATOR.DLL
Creatorc will now close.
If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer.

Of course, restarting doesn't help.

But upon tracking down CREATOR.DLL I found files by that name in both:

C:\Program Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\
C:\Program Files\Roxio Shared\CreatorAPI\

The ones in "Adaptec Shared" dated 04\30\05, those in Roxio Shared dated
(mostly) 11/26/04.

When I saved the ones in "Adaptec Shared" and replaced them with those in "Roxio
Shared" the program now starts and runs, though I get the second error above
upon exit. Since I haven't run the Roxio update utility for months, I'm
assuming the ones in Adaptec Shared came in via Windows Update or, perhaps, when
I updated Media Player to version 9.

The question is, has anyone else experienced this failure, and do you have a
more reasonable, or maybe more complete, way around it than what I've done? I
did save the 04/30/05 files, so I can put them back.

- Bill
25 answers Last reply
More about windows update kills roxio

    No idea offhand, tried un/reinstalling the Roxio software ?

    Rick

    Bill Leary wrote:
    > I just tried to use my Roxio software to burn a CD. First time I've used it in
    > a month or so.
    >
    > Upon starting Creator Classic I got:
    >
    > Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    > Runtime Error!
    > Program: ...LES\ROXIO\EASY CD CREATOR 6\EASY CD CREATOR\CREATORC.EXE
    > abnormal program termination
    >
    > followed by:
    >
    > Creatorc
    > Creatorc has caused an error in CREATOR.DLL
    > Creatorc will now close.
    > If you continue to experience problems,
    > try restarting your computer.
    >
    > Of course, restarting doesn't help.
    >
    > But upon tracking down CREATOR.DLL I found files by that name in both:
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\
    > C:\Program Files\Roxio Shared\CreatorAPI\
    >
    > The ones in "Adaptec Shared" dated 04\30\05, those in Roxio Shared dated
    > (mostly) 11/26/04.
    >
    > When I saved the ones in "Adaptec Shared" and replaced them with those in "Roxio
    > Shared" the program now starts and runs, though I get the second error above
    > upon exit. Since I haven't run the Roxio update utility for months, I'm
    > assuming the ones in Adaptec Shared came in via Windows Update or, perhaps, when
    > I updated Media Player to version 9.
    >
    > The question is, has anyone else experienced this failure, and do you have a
    > more reasonable, or maybe more complete, way around it than what I've done? I
    > did save the 04/30/05 files, so I can put them back.
    >
    > - Bill

    Go to the Roxio site and update version 6. I had problems until I did. I
    would have to check the version number for the engine, but there are about 5
    updates for 5 different parts of Roxio.

    I just checked in Programs/Roxio/EasyCD Creator......and have a look at the
    file called "Creatorc.exe".....the version number I have is 6.1.1.48. That
    is the updated version number.

    Post back if you need any more information.

    Cheers.....Heather

    > No idea offhand, tried un/reinstalling the Roxio software ?

    If I could find the flippin' CD, I'd try it. It's their standard suggestion for
    anything like this, I had something similar happen over a year ago.

    I dug through everything this morning. I found the empty box with the manual,
    but so far haven't turned up the CD. At least with the box I've got the ID
    number on the bottom so I can deal with them.

    - Bill

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Go to the Roxio site and update version 6. I had problems until I did.

    I tried. Their updater says my version is at the latest revision levels. Or, I
    should say, it does once I replace all the files in Adaptec Shared with those in
    Roxio Shared. Before I do that, it claims I need the updater itself updated,
    but when I tell it to go ahead, it hangs.

    > I would have to check the version number for the engine, but there are about 5
    > updates for 5 different parts of Roxio.

    Yep. I tried them all. They ALL say I'm up to date.

    > I just checked in Programs/Roxio/EasyCD Creator......and have a look at the
    > file called "Creatorc.exe".....the version number I have is 6.1.1.48. That
    > is the updated version number.

    I've got 6.2.0.111

    Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like we see the same ideas, which is a bit of
    good news.

    I managed to get rid of the crash-on-exit when I noticed that both Adaptec
    Shared and Roxio Shared also have a CreatorEngine directory. When I copied the
    Roxio files into the Adaptec directory, the crash went away.

    - Bill

    So we're all set then...

    That'll be $49.95 (+ taxes)
    ;)

    Rick

    > So we're all set then...

    No, not quite. I'm assuming that something put those 04/30/05 files in that
    directory for a reason. As I recall, the 30th was when I finally gave in and
    updated wo Media Player 9 (I'd stayed with 8 until then). I'm wondering what's
    not going to work correctly now that I've downgraded those files to versions a
    couple of years old.

    > That'll be $49.95 (+ taxes)
    > ;)

    Funny. You buy me lunch (caution: I have expensive tastes), and I'll pay you.
    You'll probably only loose about $40 to $60 in the deal.

    - Bill

    I find it odd that WU would update an app, AFAIK it restricts itself to
    OS, M$ core apps and (basic) HW drivers.

    So, my guess is that you've got a Roxio updater that starts when you
    boot up; check

    Start/Programs/Startup and
    Start/Run/msconfig.exe|Startup

    Rick

    PS: $100 buys a barbecue, 5 Lbs of spuds and a reasonably large chunk of
    cow and I'm sittin' pretty with lunch for a week... hmm, gotta go revise
    the shopping list a bit...

    > I find it odd that WU would update an app, AFAIK it restricts itself to
    > OS, M$ core apps and (basic) HW drivers.

    Which is why I think it was the Media Player 9 upgrade, which was applied on
    04/30/05. Seeing that all these files are also 04/30/05, it's too big a
    coincidence to ignore. When I posted my first message on this, I'd *thought*
    I'd upgraded earlier, and that perhaps it was one of the two or three WU alerts
    I got after that telling me to critical updates to MP9 were available, all of
    which I took. But I now see that I did the MP9 upgrade on the 30th.

    > So, my guess is that you've got a Roxio updater that starts when you
    > boot up; check

    I turned the automatic thing off right after I noticed it was there back when I
    first installed Roxio back in 2003. Still, that occurred to me so I did check.
    It's still off.

    - Bill

    Bill Leary wrote:
    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I find it odd that WU would update an app, AFAIK it restricts itself to
    >>OS, M$ core apps and (basic) HW drivers.
    >

    > Which is why I think it was the Media Player 9 upgrade, which was applied on
    > 04/30/05.

    k, sounds rightish; Adaptec(Roxio) burner plug-in (I dont use WMP and
    rarely use my burner for anything)

    Rick

    Hi Bill.....

    I now see that you have Roxio 6 *Platinum*.......that version number you
    have identifies it. Did you make sure you checked the Platinum upgrades??
    My version is plain Roxio 6....no photo program.

    As for WMP 9......I wouldn't have that on this machine ever!! I have
    version 7 and if I remember correctly, version 9 causes problems. The
    others can say if that is right.

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Go to the Roxio site and update version 6. I had problems until I did.
    >
    > I tried. Their updater says my version is at the latest revision levels.
    Or, I
    > should say, it does once I replace all the files in Adaptec Shared with
    those in
    > Roxio Shared. Before I do that, it claims I need the updater itself
    updated,
    > but when I tell it to go ahead, it hangs.
    >
    > > I would have to check the version number for the engine, but there are
    about 5
    > > updates for 5 different parts of Roxio.
    >
    > Yep. I tried them all. They ALL say I'm up to date.
    >
    > > I just checked in Programs/Roxio/EasyCD Creator......and have a look at
    the
    > > file called "Creatorc.exe".....the version number I have is 6.1.1.48.
    That
    > > is the updated version number.
    >
    > I've got 6.2.0.111
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like we see the same ideas, which is a
    bit of
    > good news.
    >
    > I managed to get rid of the crash-on-exit when I noticed that both Adaptec
    > Shared and Roxio Shared also have a CreatorEngine directory. When I
    copied the
    > Roxio files into the Adaptec directory, the crash went away.
    >
    > - Bill

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I find it odd that WU would update an app, AFAIK it restricts itself to
    >> OS, M$ core apps and (basic) HW drivers.
    > Which is why I think it was the Media Player 9 upgrade, which was
    > applied on 04/30/05. Seeing that all these files are also 04/30/05,
    > it's too big a coincidence to ignore. When I posted my first message on
    > this, I'd *thought* I'd upgraded earlier, and that perhaps it was one of
    > the two or three WU alerts I got after that telling me to critical
    > updates to MP9 were available, all of which I took. But I now see that
    > I did the MP9 upgrade on the 30th.
    >> So, my guess is that you've got a Roxio updater that starts when you
    >> boot up; check
    > I turned the automatic thing off right after I noticed it was there back
    > when I first installed Roxio back in 2003. Still, that occurred to me
    > so I did check. It's still off.
    > - Bill

    Bill, has your version of mfc42.dll been replaced? I believe that is the
    Microsoft visual C++ library.

    BS

    "Bill Leary" wrote:
    >I just tried to use my Roxio software to burn a CD. First time I've used it in
    > a month or so.
    <snip>
    Fully uninstall any build of Roxio CD burning software with "roxizap".
    Disregard the build in this article.
    <http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/ecddvdc/ee6000061.jhtml>
    Read the full FAQ *before* running the tool!
    <http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/support/tools/roxizap.exe>

    Silj

    --
    siljaline

    MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    Security Tools Updates
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

    (Reply to group, as return address
    is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    WMP9 has native burning capability provided by Roxio - so yes, it could be
    the cause here.(must admit I'd not noticed it myself, as I don't run ME as
    my primary system any more <slaps wrist>.)

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > WMP9 has native burning capability provided by Roxio - so yes, it could be
    > the cause here.(must admit I'd not noticed it myself, as I don't run ME as
    > my primary system any more <slaps wrist>.)

    I'm actually going back to WinME from "evaluation copy" 2K.

    Rick

    > I now see that you have Roxio 6 *Platinum*

    Sorry, should have mentioned that. On the other hand, I didn't load the photo
    stuff, so I never really think of it.

    > .......that version number you
    > have identifies it. Did you make sure you checked the Platinum upgrades??

    I think so. The automatic updater (which I don't let run automatically), one
    would think, would do it's job properly. I just checked, and the place I went
    to manually collect the updates does say "Platinum."

    > My version is plain Roxio 6....no photo program.
    >
    > As for WMP 9......I wouldn't have that on this machine ever!! I have
    > version 7 and if I remember correctly, version 9 causes problems. The
    > others can say if that is right.

    I had 8 for a long long time. Then I wanted to play... something... I don't
    recall which, which my son had played on my second machine. It worked on 9 but
    not on 8. So I updated. Other than this problem (assuming it was caused by
    it), I haven't seen any other problems. That doesn't mean the problems aren't
    lurking in there, but only this so far. Of course, if I'd *know* this was going
    to happen, I'd have probably skipped it.

    - Bill

    "BS" <perspex@t-bellsouth-dot.net> wrote in message
    > Bill, has your version of mfc42.dll been replaced? I believe that is the
    > Microsoft visual C++ library.

    I don't find mfc42.dll anywhere on my system.

    - Bill
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > WMP9 has native burning capability provided by Roxio - so yes, it could be
    > the cause here.

    Ah. I thought it had just FOUND Roxio on my system as was using it.

    Yes, makes sense.

    > (must admit I'd not noticed it myself, as I don't run ME as
    > my primary system any more <slaps wrist>.)

    Oh, the admissions we make when we're among friends. :)

    - Bill
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > "Bill Leary" wrote:
    > >I just tried to use my Roxio software to burn a CD. First time I've used it
    in
    > > a month or so.
    > <snip>
    > Fully uninstall any build of Roxio CD burning software with "roxizap".
    > Disregard the build in this article.
    > <http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/ecddvdc/ee6000061.jhtml>
    > Read the full FAQ *before* running the tool!
    > <http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/support/tools/roxizap.exe>

    Thanks for the reference. I got nowhere with the Roxio help system.

    Since I can't find the installation CD right now, I can't do this. I've saved
    it for when it turns up.

    - Bill
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Bill Leary" wrote:
    <snip>
    > Thanks for the reference. I got nowhere with the Roxio help system.
    >
    > Since I can't find the installation CD right now, I can't do this. I've saved
    > it for when it turns up.

    If it's a Legit copy, Bill, use the Registration number, call Roxio and they
    "should" supply you will a download link for a full installation.
    With emphasis on /should/ -

    Good luck.

    Silj

    --
    siljaline

    MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    Security Tools Updates
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

    (Reply to group, as return address
    is invalid - that we may all benefit)
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > "Bill Leary" wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > Thanks for the reference. I got nowhere with the Roxio help system.
    > >
    > > Since I can't find the installation CD right now, I can't do this. I've
    saved
    > > it for when it turns up.
    >
    > If it's a Legit copy, Bill, use the Registration number, call Roxio and they
    > "should" supply you will a download link for a full installation.

    I hadn't thought of that. I figured I'd have to try to talk them into sending
    another CD.

    I did find the box, and the manual. The number is on the bottom of the box, and
    I wrote it on the first page of the manual too. I'm just annoyed that I can't
    find the CD itself. It *should* be in the computer CD bin to the right of my
    desk, but it's not. I'm afraid I *may* have thought it was one of the free
    Basic ones I got with something or other and tossed it. My fears rise in that I
    *did* find the freebie Basic CD in there.

    > With emphasis on /should/ -

    Right. :)

    > Good luck.

    Either way. I'd prefer to find the thing, but if not, I'll have to get another
    incase I end up with no option but to reinstall.

    - Bill
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > I put it in some variant of legacy mode, so it pretty much looks like MP8.
    > Except that I find that it makes better use of my audio hardware than MP8
    did.
    > And I like the graphics equilizer controls better. but...

    Nitpicking, I suppose, but presumably you mean 7.1, as 8.0 is XP only.

    Shane
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I put it in some variant of legacy mode, so it pretty much looks like MP8.
    > > Except that I find that it makes better use of my audio hardware than MP8
    > did.
    > > And I like the graphics equilizer controls better. but...
    >
    > Nitpicking, I suppose, but presumably you mean 7.1, as 8.0 is XP only.

    Some nits should be picked, though I can't say for sure this is one of them.

    As may be, now that you mention it, you're no doubt right. I *distinctly*
    recall it being 7.something at one time, but I thought I'd upgraded FROM that to
    another version. Perhaps I'm recalling upgrading TO it instead.

    - Bill
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    :)

    I must re-invigorate a system for dual-boot sometime in the near future!! -
    for various reasons, my only available ME installs are as Virtual PC's,
    which doesn't give me the same response as I need in some cases

    To do that I have to install a 120GB HD into this system, copy
    across........ then install the freed HD to the alternate system and create
    the dual-boot there.

    Oh, what fun!!!

    --

    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> WMP9 has native burning capability provided by Roxio - so yes, it could
    >> be the cause here.(must admit I'd not noticed it myself, as I don't run
    >> ME as my primary system any more <slaps wrist>.)
    >>
    > I'm actually going back to WinME from "evaluation copy" 2K.
    >

    > Rick
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > :)
    >
    > I must re-invigorate a system for dual-boot sometime in the near future!! -
    > for various reasons, my only available ME installs are as Virtual PC's,
    > which doesn't give me the same response as I need in some cases

    Whenever a BIOS issue comes up that I don't remember, it's "well I could
    find out but then I'd have to reboot..."

    Rick

    > To do that I have to install a 120GB HD into this system, copy
    > across........ then install the freed HD to the alternate system and create
    > the dual-boot there.
    >
    > Oh, what fun!!!

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Ah - the joys of having more than one PC!<g>

    --

    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> :)
    >>
    >> I must re-invigorate a system for dual-boot sometime in the near
    >> future!! - for various reasons, my only available ME installs are as
    >> Virtual PC's, which doesn't give me the same response as I need in some
    >> cases
    >
    > Whenever a BIOS issue comes up that I don't remember, it's "well I could
    > find out but then I'd have to reboot..."
    >
    > Rick
    >

    >> To do that I have to install a 120GB HD into this system, copy
    >> across........ then install the freed HD to the alternate system and
    >> create the dual-boot there.
    >>
    >> Oh, what fun!!!

CD-Rom Windows