Windows Update kills Roxio?

I just tried to use my Roxio software to burn a CD. First time I've used it in
a month or so.

Upon starting Creator Classic I got:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: ...LES\ROXIO\EASY CD CREATOR 6\EASY CD CREATOR\CREATORC.EXE
abnormal program termination

followed by:

Creatorc
Creatorc has caused an error in CREATOR.DLL
Creatorc will now close.
If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer.

Of course, restarting doesn't help.

But upon tracking down CREATOR.DLL I found files by that name in both:

C:\Program Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\
C:\Program Files\Roxio Shared\CreatorAPI\

The ones in "Adaptec Shared" dated 04\30\05, those in Roxio Shared dated
(mostly) 11/26/04.

When I saved the ones in "Adaptec Shared" and replaced them with those in "Roxio
Shared" the program now starts and runs, though I get the second error above
upon exit. Since I haven't run the Roxio update utility for months, I'm
assuming the ones in Adaptec Shared came in via Windows Update or, perhaps, when
I updated Media Player to version 9.

The question is, has anyone else experienced this failure, and do you have a
more reasonable, or maybe more complete, way around it than what I've done? I
did save the 04/30/05 files, so I can put them back.

- Bill

No idea offhand, tried un/reinstalling the Roxio software ?

Rick

Bill Leary wrote:
> I just tried to use my Roxio software to burn a CD. First time I've used it in
> a month or so.
>
> Upon starting Creator Classic I got:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
> Runtime Error!
> Program: ...LES\ROXIO\EASY CD CREATOR 6\EASY CD CREATOR\CREATORC.EXE
> abnormal program termination
>
> followed by:
>
> Creatorc
> Creatorc has caused an error in CREATOR.DLL
> Creatorc will now close.
> If you continue to experience problems,
> try restarting your computer.
>
> Of course, restarting doesn't help.
>
> But upon tracking down CREATOR.DLL I found files by that name in both:
>
> C:\Program Files\Adaptec Shared\CreatorAPI\
> C:\Program Files\Roxio Shared\CreatorAPI\
>
> The ones in "Adaptec Shared" dated 04\30\05, those in Roxio Shared dated
> (mostly) 11/26/04.
>
> When I saved the ones in "Adaptec Shared" and replaced them with those in "Roxio
> Shared" the program now starts and runs, though I get the second error above
> upon exit. Since I haven't run the Roxio update utility for months, I'm
> assuming the ones in Adaptec Shared came in via Windows Update or, perhaps, when
> I updated Media Player to version 9.
>
> The question is, has anyone else experienced this failure, and do you have a
> more reasonable, or maybe more complete, way around it than what I've done? I
> did save the 04/30/05 files, so I can put them back.
>
> - Bill

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Go to the Roxio site and update version 6. I had problems until I did. I
would have to check the version number for the engine, but there are about 5
updates for 5 different parts of Roxio.

I just checked in Programs/Roxio/EasyCD Creator......and have a look at the
file called "Creatorc.exe".....the version number I have is 6.1.1.48. That
is the updated version number.

Post back if you need any more information.

Cheers.....Heather

> No idea offhand, tried un/reinstalling the Roxio software ?

If I could find the flippin' CD, I'd try it. It's their standard suggestion for
anything like this, I had something similar happen over a year ago.

I dug through everything this morning. I found the empty box with the manual,
but so far haven't turned up the CD. At least with the box I've got the ID
number on the bottom so I can deal with them.

- Bill

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Go to the Roxio site and update version 6. I had problems until I did.

I tried. Their updater says my version is at the latest revision levels. Or, I
should say, it does once I replace all the files in Adaptec Shared with those in
Roxio Shared. Before I do that, it claims I need the updater itself updated,
but when I tell it to go ahead, it hangs.

> I would have to check the version number for the engine, but there are about 5
> updates for 5 different parts of Roxio.

Yep. I tried them all. They ALL say I'm up to date.

> I just checked in Programs/Roxio/EasyCD Creator......and have a look at the
> file called "Creatorc.exe".....the version number I have is 6.1.1.48. That
> is the updated version number.

I've got 6.2.0.111

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like we see the same ideas, which is a bit of
good news.

I managed to get rid of the crash-on-exit when I noticed that both Adaptec
Shared and Roxio Shared also have a CreatorEngine directory. When I copied the
Roxio files into the Adaptec directory, the crash went away.

- Bill

So we're all set then...

That'll be $49.95 (+ taxes)
;)

Rick

> So we're all set then...

No, not quite. I'm assuming that something put those 04/30/05 files in that
directory for a reason. As I recall, the 30th was when I finally gave in and
updated wo Media Player 9 (I'd stayed with 8 until then). I'm wondering what's
not going to work correctly now that I've downgraded those files to versions a
couple of years old.

> That'll be $49.95 (+ taxes)
> ;)

Funny. You buy me lunch (caution: I have expensive tastes), and I'll pay you.
You'll probably only loose about $40 to $60 in the deal.

- Bill

I find it odd that WU would update an app, AFAIK it restricts itself to
OS, M$ core apps and (basic) HW drivers.

So, my guess is that you've got a Roxio updater that starts when you
boot up; check

Start/Programs/Startup and
Start/Run/msconfig.exe|Startup

Rick

PS: $100 buys a barbecue, 5 Lbs of spuds and a reasonably large chunk of
cow and I'm sittin' pretty with lunch for a week... hmm, gotta go revise
the shopping list a bit...

> I find it odd that WU would update an app, AFAIK it restricts itself to
> OS, M$ core apps and (basic) HW drivers.

Which is why I think it was the Media Player 9 upgrade, which was applied on
04/30/05. Seeing that all these files are also 04/30/05, it's too big a
coincidence to ignore. When I posted my first message on this, I'd *thought*
I'd upgraded earlier, and that perhaps it was one of the two or three WU alerts
I got after that telling me to critical updates to MP9 were available, all of
which I took. But I now see that I did the MP9 upgrade on the 30th.

> So, my guess is that you've got a Roxio updater that starts when you
> boot up; check

I turned the automatic thing off right after I noticed it was there back when I
first installed Roxio back in 2003. Still, that occurred to me so I did check.
It's still off.

- Bill

Bill Leary wrote:
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I find it odd that WU would update an app, AFAIK it restricts itself to
>>OS, M$ core apps and (basic) HW drivers.
>

> Which is why I think it was the Media Player 9 upgrade, which was applied on
> 04/30/05.

k, sounds rightish; Adaptec(Roxio) burner plug-in (I dont use WMP and
rarely use my burner for anything)

Rick

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Hi Bill.....

I now see that you have Roxio 6 *Platinum*.......that version number you
have identifies it. Did you make sure you checked the Platinum upgrades??
My version is plain Roxio 6....no photo program.

As for WMP 9......I wouldn't have that on this machine ever!! I have
version 7 and if I remember correctly, version 9 causes problems. The
others can say if that is right.

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Go to the Roxio site and update version 6. I had problems until I did.
>
> I tried. Their updater says my version is at the latest revision levels.
Or, I
> should say, it does once I replace all the files in Adaptec Shared with
those in
> Roxio Shared. Before I do that, it claims I need the updater itself
updated,
> but when I tell it to go ahead, it hangs.
>
> > I would have to check the version number for the engine, but there are
about 5
> > updates for 5 different parts of Roxio.
>
> Yep. I tried them all. They ALL say I'm up to date.
>
> > I just checked in Programs/Roxio/EasyCD Creator......and have a look at
the
> > file called "Creatorc.exe".....the version number I have is 6.1.1.48.
That
> > is the updated version number.
>
> I've got 6.2.0.111
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like we see the same ideas, which is a
bit of
> good news.
>
> I managed to get rid of the crash-on-exit when I noticed that both Adaptec
> Shared and Roxio Shared also have a CreatorEngine directory. When I
copied the
> Roxio files into the Adaptec directory, the crash went away.
>
> - Bill

bs

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I find it odd that WU would update an app, AFAIK it restricts itself to
>> OS, M$ core apps and (basic) HW drivers.
> Which is why I think it was the Media Player 9 upgrade, which was
> applied on 04/30/05. Seeing that all these files are also 04/30/05,
> it's too big a coincidence to ignore. When I posted my first message on
> this, I'd *thought* I'd upgraded earlier, and that perhaps it was one of
> the two or three WU alerts I got after that telling me to critical
> updates to MP9 were available, all of which I took. But I now see that
> I did the MP9 upgrade on the 30th.
>> So, my guess is that you've got a Roxio updater that starts when you
>> boot up; check
> I turned the automatic thing off right after I noticed it was there back
> when I first installed Roxio back in 2003. Still, that occurred to me
> so I did check. It's still off.
> - Bill

Bill, has your version of mfc42.dll been replaced? I believe that is the
Microsoft visual C++ library.

BS

"Bill Leary" wrote:
>I just tried to use my Roxio software to burn a CD. First time I've used it in
> a month or so.
<snip>
Fully uninstall any build of Roxio CD burning software with "roxizap".
Disregard the build in this article.
<http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/ecddvdc/ee6000061.jhtml>
Read the full FAQ *before* running the tool!
<http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/support/tools/roxizap.exe>

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

WMP9 has native burning capability provided by Roxio - so yes, it could be
the cause here.(must admit I'd not noticed it myself, as I don't run ME as
my primary system any more <slaps wrist>.)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Noel Paton wrote:
> WMP9 has native burning capability provided by Roxio - so yes, it could be
> the cause here.(must admit I'd not noticed it myself, as I don't run ME as
> my primary system any more <slaps wrist>.)

I'm actually going back to WinME from "evaluation copy" 2K.

Rick

> I now see that you have Roxio 6 *Platinum*

Sorry, should have mentioned that. On the other hand, I didn't load the photo
stuff, so I never really think of it.

> .......that version number you
> have identifies it. Did you make sure you checked the Platinum upgrades??

I think so. The automatic updater (which I don't let run automatically), one
would think, would do it's job properly. I just checked, and the place I went
to manually collect the updates does say "Platinum."

> My version is plain Roxio 6....no photo program.
>
> As for WMP 9......I wouldn't have that on this machine ever!! I have
> version 7 and if I remember correctly, version 9 causes problems. The
> others can say if that is right.

I had 8 for a long long time. Then I wanted to play... something... I don't
recall which, which my son had played on my second machine. It worked on 9 but
not on 8. So I updated. Other than this problem (assuming it was caused by
it), I haven't seen any other problems. That doesn't mean the problems aren't
lurking in there, but only this so far. Of course, if I'd *know* this was going
to happen, I'd have probably skipped it.

- Bill

"BS" <perspex@t-bellsouth-dot.net> wrote in message
> Bill, has your version of mfc42.dll been replaced? I believe that is the
> Microsoft visual C++ library.

I don't find mfc42.dll anywhere on my system.

- Bill

> WMP9 has native burning capability provided by Roxio - so yes, it could be
> the cause here.

Ah. I thought it had just FOUND Roxio on my system as was using it.

Yes, makes sense.

> (must admit I'd not noticed it myself, as I don't run ME as
> my primary system any more <slaps wrist>.)

Oh, the admissions we make when we're among friends. :)

- Bill

"siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "Bill Leary" wrote:
> >I just tried to use my Roxio software to burn a CD. First time I've used it
in
> > a month or so.
> <snip>
> Fully uninstall any build of Roxio CD burning software with "roxizap".
> Disregard the build in this article.
> <http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/ecddvdc/ee6000061.jhtml>
> Read the full FAQ *before* running the tool!
> <http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/support/tools/roxizap.exe>

Thanks for the reference. I got nowhere with the Roxio help system.

Since I can't find the installation CD right now, I can't do this. I've saved
it for when it turns up.

- Bill

"Bill Leary" wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks for the reference. I got nowhere with the Roxio help system.
>
> Since I can't find the installation CD right now, I can't do this. I've saved
> it for when it turns up.

If it's a Legit copy, Bill, use the Registration number, call Roxio and they
"should" supply you will a download link for a full installation.
With emphasis on /should/ -

Good luck.

Silj

--

> "Bill Leary" wrote:
> <snip>
> > Thanks for the reference. I got nowhere with the Roxio help system.
> >
> > Since I can't find the installation CD right now, I can't do this. I've
saved
> > it for when it turns up.
>
> If it's a Legit copy, Bill, use the Registration number, call Roxio and they
> "should" supply you will a download link for a full installation.

I hadn't thought of that. I figured I'd have to try to talk them into sending
another CD.

I did find the box, and the manual. The number is on the bottom of the box, and
I wrote it on the first page of the manual too. I'm just annoyed that I can't
find the CD itself. It *should* be in the computer CD bin to the right of my
desk, but it's not. I'm afraid I *may* have thought it was one of the free
Basic ones I got with something or other and tossed it. My fears rise in that I
*did* find the freebie Basic CD in there.

> With emphasis on /should/ -

Right. :)

> Good luck.

Either way. I'd prefer to find the thing, but if not, I'll have to get another
incase I end up with no option but to reinstall.

- Bill

Shane

> I put it in some variant of legacy mode, so it pretty much looks like MP8.
> Except that I find that it makes better use of my audio hardware than MP8
did.
> And I like the graphics equilizer controls better. but...

Nitpicking, I suppose, but presumably you mean 7.1, as 8.0 is XP only.

Shane

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I put it in some variant of legacy mode, so it pretty much looks like MP8.
> > Except that I find that it makes better use of my audio hardware than MP8
> did.
> > And I like the graphics equilizer controls better. but...
>
> Nitpicking, I suppose, but presumably you mean 7.1, as 8.0 is XP only.

Some nits should be picked, though I can't say for sure this is one of them.

As may be, now that you mention it, you're no doubt right. I *distinctly*
recall it being 7.something at one time, but I thought I'd upgraded FROM that to
another version. Perhaps I'm recalling upgrading TO it instead.

- Bill

:)

I must re-invigorate a system for dual-boot sometime in the near future!! -
for various reasons, my only available ME installs are as Virtual PC's,
which doesn't give me the same response as I need in some cases

To do that I have to install a 120GB HD into this system, copy
across........ then install the freed HD to the alternate system and create
the dual-boot there.

Oh, what fun!!!

--

Noel Paton wrote:
> :)
>
> I must re-invigorate a system for dual-boot sometime in the near future!! -
> for various reasons, my only available ME installs are as Virtual PC's,
> which doesn't give me the same response as I need in some cases

Whenever a BIOS issue comes up that I don't remember, it's "well I could
find out but then I'd have to reboot..."

Rick