Video Card for DVI and VGA?

Have never owned an LCD flat panel monitor before, and a bit confused with
the Analog VGA vs. DVI connectors. Does each video card support only VGA or
DVI connectors? And do LCD monitors support either VGA or DVI connectors?

Looking to setup a system for general business use, do not need dual
monitors or fancy processing for gaming. Would like to get a nice large
flat panel though, thus my questions concerning VGA and DVI. Thanks for
helping clear up the confusion.

Al Franz wrote:
> Have never owned an LCD flat panel monitor before, and a bit confused with
> the Analog VGA vs. DVI connectors. Does each video card support only VGA or
> DVI connectors?

Older cards have VGA. Newer ones often have 2 ports, one DVI and one
VGA. Very new cards tend to have dual-DVI. However, DVI-VGA and
VGA-DVI adapters do exist, they're cheap, and if there's any video
quality degredation, it's small.

> And do LCD monitors support either VGA or DVI connectors?

Check each LCD. Most only have a VGA input, but the ones that have DVI
usually have both. I don't think I've ever seen a DVI *only* LCD from
anyone except Apple.

> Looking to setup a system for general business use, do not need dual
> monitors or fancy processing for gaming. Would like to get a nice large
> flat panel though, thus my questions concerning VGA and DVI. Thanks for
> helping clear up the confusion.

DVI will uptimately give you a nicer picture, but I don't know if it
will be enough to justify the price, depending on your needs. I've
noticed LCDs with DVI input run about $50 higher than their VGA-only
counterparts. But keep in mind even something as simple as watching a
DVD or the crispness of text at non-standard resolutions might come into
play.