RAID5

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what RAID5 means?

I know that RAID5 are used for secure backup of data, but what if I use for
example 4 harddisks each with 300GB as a RAID5 solution. What will the total
diskspace be then?

Best Regards
Erik
1 answer Last reply
More about raid5

    "Erik Janssen" <ejejej@start.no> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what RAID5 means?
    >
    > I know that RAID5 are used for secure backup of data, but what if I use
    for
    > example 4 harddisks each with 300GB as a RAID5 solution. What will the
    total
    > diskspace be then?
    >
    > Best Regards
    > Erik

    With 4 disks, Raid5 Uses data on 3 disks and parity on fourth, but
    parity is spread over all drives to aid performance. Capacity is 3D where D
    is drive storage. If one drive dies, all data is still available. When
    faulty drive is replaced, array rebuilds onto new drive to restore original
    configuration.
    Mike.

Homebuilt Hardware Systems