RAID5

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2005 1:19:55 AM

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what RAID5 means?

I know that RAID5 are used for secure backup of data, but what if I use for
example 4 harddisks each with 300GB as a RAID5 solution. What will the total
diskspace be then?

Best Regards
Erik

More about : raid5

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2005 1:19:56 AM

"Erik Janssen" <ejejej@start.no> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me what RAID5 means?
>
> I know that RAID5 are used for secure backup of data, but what if I use
for
> example 4 harddisks each with 300GB as a RAID5 solution. What will the
total
> diskspace be then?
>
> Best Regards
> Erik

With 4 disks, Raid5 Uses data on 3 disks and parity on fourth, but
parity is spread over all drives to aid performance. Capacity is 3D where D
is drive storage. If one drive dies, all data is still available. When
faulty drive is replaced, array rebuilds onto new drive to restore original
configuration.
Mike.
!