can't disable system restore????

I have Adaware and Spybot and run
them often. I also have a virus scanner. Problem seems to
be virus/spyware/etc. in my "restore" folder, so they don't
ever get really erased.

When I try to turn off system
restore to run the virus and spyware programs, it doesn't
actually turn off. This is my personal computer and I am
the original owner but apparently I am not the
"administrator"????

Is there anyway to set myself up as
the administrator so I can disable system restore
temporarily to run these programs?

Please help.

Win Me has no administrator mode. How are you trying to disable system
restore? Note that system restore should not be disabled and the archive
cleared down until the rest of the system is clean and known to be working
fine as otherwise you will be unable to use system restore to restore to a
working system if for some reason using your malware tools makes Win Me
unusable.

To reset system restore:
System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check "Disable
System Restore", Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot. This will flush you
restore folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck "Disable
System Restore", Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot. This should now
automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following the restart.
Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder,
System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore
slider to your preferred setting. A figure of 2-300MB is normally more
than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to
be available although increasing this to perhaps 400-500MB for a few days
during periods of large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

StJames_2@excite.com <StJames_2@excite.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I have Adaware and Spybot and run
> them often. I also have a virus scanner. Problem seems to
> be virus/spyware/etc. in my "restore" folder, so they don't
> ever get really erased.
>
> When I try to turn off system
> restore to run the virus and spyware programs, it doesn't
> actually turn off. This is my personal computer and I am
> the original owner but apparently I am not the
> "administrator"????
>
> Is there anyway to set myself up as
> the administrator so I can disable system restore
> temporarily to run these programs?
>
> Please help.

TRENDING THREADS