A few days ago I connected to broadband via a 2nd network card.
Everything worked as normal with the home network until today,
Explorer only shows the directories/files that are on the computer I
am using explorer on. Programs that use data on other computers on the
network continue to work ok, still accessing the other computers as
normal. The only problem is I can't view the list of file/directories
on other computers, whether with Explorer or with the My Network
Places on the desktop.

Is this likely to be a problem connected with the 2nd network card?

Thanks
Mike

jad

secret OS? XP? firewall enabled?

"MikeM" <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> A few days ago I connected to broadband via a 2nd network card.
> Everything worked as normal with the home network until today,
> Explorer only shows the directories/files that are on the computer I
> am using explorer on. Programs that use data on other computers on
the
> network continue to work ok, still accessing the other computers as
> normal. The only problem is I can't view the list of
file/directories
> on other computers, whether with Explorer or with the My Network
> Places on the desktop.
>
> Is this likely to be a problem connected with the 2nd network card?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

W2k, Zonealarm enabled. Everything seems unchanged for trusted sites
on firewall.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:05:15 -0800, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>secret OS? XP? firewall enabled?
>
>"MikeM" <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> A few days ago I connected to broadband via a 2nd network card.
>> Everything worked as normal with the home network until today,
>> Explorer only shows the directories/files that are on the computer I
>> am using explorer on. Programs that use data on other computers on
>the
>> network continue to work ok, still accessing the other computers as
>> normal. The only problem is I can't view the list of
>file/directories
>> on other computers, whether with Explorer or with the My Network
>> Places on the desktop.
>>
>> Is this likely to be a problem connected with the 2nd network card?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mike

jad

drop the FW and check... it usually ends up being that

> W2k, Zonealarm enabled. Everything seems unchanged for trusted sites
> on firewall.
>

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:05:15 -0800, "JAD"
<kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
> wrote:
>
> >secret OS? XP? firewall enabled?
> >
> >"MikeM" <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> >> A few days ago I connected to broadband via a 2nd network card.
> >> Everything worked as normal with the home network until today,
> >> Explorer only shows the directories/files that are on the
computer I
> >> am using explorer on. Programs that use data on other computers
on
> >the
> >> network continue to work ok, still accessing the other computers
as
> >> normal. The only problem is I can't view the list of
> >file/directories
> >> on other computers, whether with Explorer or with the My Network
> >> Places on the desktop.
> >>
> >> Is this likely to be a problem connected with the 2nd network
card?

> >> Thanks
> >> Mike

Closing the firewall made no difference

Mike

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:33:35 -0800, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>drop the FW and check... it usually ends up being that
>

>"MikeM" <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> W2k, Zonealarm enabled. Everything seems unchanged for trusted sites
>> on firewall.
>>

>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:05:15 -0800, "JAD"
><kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >secret OS? XP? firewall enabled?
>> >
>> >"MikeM" <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>computer I
>on
>> >the
>as
>> >file/directories

>card?

jad

hmmm ok everything worked originally meaning all areas of the
network. internet file sharing etc. Can you 'search' the computer
names?

> Closing the firewall made no difference
>
> Mike
>
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:33:35 -0800, "JAD"
<kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
> wrote:
>
> >drop the FW and check... it usually ends up being that
> >

> >"MikeM" <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> >> W2k, Zonealarm enabled. Everything seems unchanged for trusted
sites
> >> on firewall.
> >>

> >> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:05:15 -0800, "JAD"
> ><kapasitor@earthcharter.net>

> >computer I
> >on
> >as
Network

> >card?

Search couldn't find anything

Mike

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:41:05 -0800, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>hmmm ok everything worked originally meaning all areas of the
>network. internet file sharing etc. Can you 'search' the computer
>names?
>
>"MikeM" <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> Closing the firewall made no difference
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:33:35 -0800, "JAD"
><kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >drop the FW and check... it usually ends up being that
>> >

>> >"MikeM" <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>sites

>> ><kapasitor@earthcharter.net>

>card.
>> >computer I
>computers
>> >on
>computers
>> >as
>Network

>> >card?

Problem solved. I noticed that the oldest computer on the network
appeared to be working but when I checked it I found it was locked up.
I rebooted it and all was back to normal. I'm interested to know why 1
computer locking up can stop all the others from seeing the rest of
the network.

Thanks for the suggestions
Mike

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:30:22 GMT, MikeM <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>A few days ago I connected to broadband via a 2nd network card.
>Everything worked as normal with the home network until today,
>Explorer only shows the directories/files that are on the computer I
>am using explorer on. Programs that use data on other computers on the
>network continue to work ok, still accessing the other computers as
>normal. The only problem is I can't view the list of file/directories
>on other computers, whether with Explorer or with the My Network
>Places on the desktop.
>
>Is this likely to be a problem connected with the 2nd network card?
>
>Thanks
>Mike

> Problem solved. I noticed that the oldest computer on the network
> appeared to be working but when I checked it I found it was locked up.
> I rebooted it and all was back to normal. I'm interested to know why 1
> computer locking up can stop all the others from seeing the rest of
> the network.

When computers are joined in a network they have an 'election' between
themselves to decide which one is going to be in charge of the network,
keeping track of computer names, address etc. I guess that the one that had
locked up was the controling one.

For more info Google 'Browse Master'

Adam S

peter

In article <0f9kv053g07v8dn8vu9v4a7g96o48ebtls@4ax.com>,
mmo45018@bigpond.net.au says...

> Problem solved. I noticed that the oldest computer on the network
> appeared to be working but when I checked it I found it was locked up.
> I rebooted it and all was back to normal. I'm interested to know why 1
> computer locking up can stop all the others from seeing the rest of
> the network.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions
> Mike
>
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:30:22 GMT, MikeM <mmo45018@bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
>
> >A few days ago I connected to broadband via a 2nd network card.
> >Everything worked as normal with the home network until today,
> >Explorer only shows the directories/files that are on the computer I
> >am using explorer on. Programs that use data on other computers on the
> >network continue to work ok, still accessing the other computers as
> >normal. The only problem is I can't view the list of file/directories
> >on other computers, whether with Explorer or with the My Network
> >Places on the desktop.
> >
> >Is this likely to be a problem connected with the 2nd network card?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Mike

Go to google and type in the words 'network' 'topology'. You'll get
plenty of hits that describe how networks are set up and their
advantages and disadvantages as well as what can cause the network to
break down. Most common home ones are star or linear. If your's was of
the linear type then any break in the chain can cause the whole network
to fail.

--
Pete Ives