Can't anyone help ????

HI...I use this facility quite regularly and have always had a positive
response, but I put a query on this site 2 days ago and have had
nothing....can't any of you technical experts help please ???? My original
query is dated 17/7 and the subject is "Internet connection comes and goes"
Please look at it and give me your advice....
--
carole UK

Malke

Carole UK wrote:

> HI...I use this facility quite regularly and have always had a
> positive response, but I put a query on this site 2 days ago and have
> had
> nothing....can't any of you technical experts help please ???? My
> original
> query is dated 17/7 and the subject is "Internet connection comes and
> goes" Please look at it and give me your advice....

Hi, Carol. First of all this isn't a site. You are using the web
interface to the newsgroups, which is pretty awful. You should set up a
newsreader (instructions are below). Since this is Usenet, you should
have posted to the original thread. Now that you've made a new post
without any details, no one knows what you are talking about. Post back
with all pertinent details and we'll see if we can help you. See the
links below about making good posts. There is always the chance that
you didn't get an answer because 1) you weren't clear enough; 2) no one
had an answer for you. This isn't Microsoft support, after all. If you
need tech support immediately, call a local professional to come onsite
and sort you out. I'm not saying this to hurt your feelings; just
remember this is peer-to-peer support where, although some MS employees
do post in the groups, the majority of us are just volunteers with
lives and other responsibilities.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Ah...thanks for the explanation - I didn't realise how the messages worked.
Thanks for responding as well !

I guess the reason nobody has replied is that nobody knows the answer,
although I find it hard to believe as I've always had really quick and
helpful advice in the past. There's some very clever people out there.

I've copied my original post again following the row of asterisks. Any help
gratefully received.

I've been helping a friend upgrade his system - put in a wireless network (2
laptops via a netgear router), got broadband, installed SP2. All is well
except one continuing problem........

We noticed the 'Internet connection' icon was missing in the bottom bar, and
we kept getting 'server error' on the first attempt to send e-mail from
outlook. If we then hit send/receive, the mail eventually went. Also, the
home page never displayed first time in MSIE, but did on refresh. I checked
network connection - wireless fine; LAN fine - but no Internet Gateway
connection displayed.
I played around with a few settings - no good, then disabled the WINDOWS
firewall and immediately the Internet Gateway Connection appeared in Network
Connections. I installed Zone Alarm temporarily and left the Windows
firewall off.
BUT - next day - nothing has been changed, (firewall still off) and the
Internet connection has disappeared again, along with the same problems with
sending mail, and displaying home page.
What's going on here ?? It seems that the connection won't stay put, but we
can get past it with a manual intervention in both Outlook and MSIE.

I'll be extremely grateful for any help - we're both going insane.
Incidentally - running XP SP2, and latest versions of MSIE, Outlook etc. The
wireless signal is 'Excellent', and the LAN seems fine.

--
carole UK

The internet gateway will not display if you are using a firewall. This is
expected behavior (the firewall blocks the network messages used by devices
to announce their presence) and not a problem.

Did you install wireless cards into the laptops or is wireless built-in? If
you know the manufacturers of the wireless cards, try updating the drivers.
Also, it sounds like the wireless card is not turned on until after a
connection attempt has been made (the reason why you need to perform a
manual reload or send/receive). Look if there is some kind of power saving
setting for it. Also, in the Administrative Tools Control Panel, there is
something called Services. Open that and look for a service called Wireless
Zero Configuration. Its Startup type should be set to Automatic and it
should be started. If you are still having trouble connecting, reboot and
open up a command prompt (Start->Run->type "cmd") and then type "ipconfig
/all" and post the results here.

-Yves

"Carole UK" <CaroleUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ah...thanks for the explanation - I didn't realise how the messages
> worked.
> Thanks for responding as well !
>
> I guess the reason nobody has replied is that nobody knows the answer,
> although I find it hard to believe as I've always had really quick and
> helpful advice in the past. There's some very clever people out there.
>
> I've copied my original post again following the row of asterisks. Any
> help
> gratefully received.
>
> I've been helping a friend upgrade his system - put in a wireless network
> (2
> laptops via a netgear router), got broadband, installed SP2. All is well
> except one continuing problem........
>
> We noticed the 'Internet connection' icon was missing in the bottom bar,
> and
> we kept getting 'server error' on the first attempt to send e-mail from
> outlook. If we then hit send/receive, the mail eventually went. Also,
> the
> home page never displayed first time in MSIE, but did on refresh. I
> checked
> network connection - wireless fine; LAN fine - but no Internet Gateway
> connection displayed.
> I played around with a few settings - no good, then disabled the WINDOWS
> firewall and immediately the Internet Gateway Connection appeared in
> Network
> Connections. I installed Zone Alarm temporarily and left the Windows
> firewall off.
> BUT - next day - nothing has been changed, (firewall still off) and the
> Internet connection has disappeared again, along with the same problems
> with
> sending mail, and displaying home page.
> What's going on here ?? It seems that the connection won't stay put, but
> we
> can get past it with a manual intervention in both Outlook and MSIE.
>
> I'll be extremely grateful for any help - we're both going insane.
> Incidentally - running XP SP2, and latest versions of MSIE, Outlook etc.
> The
> wireless signal is 'Excellent', and the LAN seems fine.
>

> --
> carole UK

Thanks for this Yves. I need to go over to my friend's place to check it out
- I'll go in the next couple of days - can I ask you please to check this
thread again to see if it worked ?
To answer an immediate question - I installed wireless cards into both
laptops (not built-in). I'll update the drivers and check everything else
you suggested.
Thanks again.
--
carole UK

"Yves Konigshofer" wrote:

> [...]
> > firewall and immediately the Internet Gateway Connection appeared in
> > Network
> > Connections. I installed Zone Alarm temporarily and left the Windows
> > firewall off.
> > BUT - next day - nothing has been changed, (firewall still off) and the
> > Internet connection has disappeared again, along with the same problems
> > with
> > sending mail, and displaying home page.
> > What's going on here ?? It seems that the connection won't stay put, but
> > we
> > can get past it with a manual intervention in both Outlook and MSIE.
> >
> > I'll be extremely grateful for any help - we're both going insane.
> > Incidentally - running XP SP2, and latest versions of MSIE, Outlook etc.
> > The
> > wireless signal is 'Excellent', and the LAN seems fine.

Thanks Yves - it was the Wireless Zero Configuration settings - all is well
now.

--
carole UK