Which component to RMA?

I have just built my new system and all seems to be working fine except
one thing. On POST, the system reports my processor as an Athlon XP
1500 when in actuality it is an XP 2700. The odd part is that the
first time I booted the PC it reported correctly. I have left the
automatic settings for multiplier and bus speed and that is how I get
the XP 1500 reported. I have also gone in and changed the multiplier
to 13X and the bus speed to 133 manually and then the system doesn't
even POST. Did I get those settings right? Anyway, I am planning on
RMA'ing the CPU...does that seem like the right thing to do? Or could
it be the MB?

Thanks,
Mike

I will try this but I think this is the configuration I tried and it
refuses to even POST. I have reset the bios several times and each
time I get the same problem. Not sure if this helps but there was a
period of time where the memory was running at 100MHz even though it is
DDR 3200 and should be running at 200MHz. It does run correctly after
resetting BIOS but CPU is still not.

Assuming I can't get the system to POST with it set at 13 x 166 which
component is likely the culprit?

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Akron Mike" <mikednospam-groups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have just built my new system and all seems to be working fine
>except
> one thing. On POST, the system reports my processor as an
> Athlon XP
> 1500 when in actuality it is an XP 2700. The odd part is that
> the
> first time I booted the PC it reported correctly. I have left
> the
> automatic settings for multiplier and bus speed and that is how
> I get
> the XP 1500 reported. I have also gone in and changed the
> multiplier
> to 13X and the bus speed to 133 manually and then the system
> doesn't
> even POST. Did I get those settings right? Anyway, I am
> planning on
> RMA'ing the CPU...does that seem like the right thing to do? Or
> could
> it be the MB?

Neither, reset the bios with all power disconnected. If you still
have problems, it should be set to;
13.0 multiplier x 166MHz system bus = 2.17GHz

It's a simple configuration error.

--
Ian

Sorry, thought I put it here but must have been in another post. I
have an MSI K7n2-Delta2-LSR. BIOS is updated to the latest version.

OK, not sure if this actually did anything but after I pulled up
slightly on the heatsink/fan and then rebooted, it POSTed at 2700+. I
can't explain it other than to say that possibly a portion of the board
underneath the socket was not grounded properly? That's a wild ass
guess but I can't come up with much else.

My newest question is: what is the relationship between the FSB speed
and the memory bus speed? When my CPU was showing as an XP 1500,
memory was running at 200MHz (like it should since it is PC3200) but
now that the CPU is showing as XP 2700, the memory speed is only
166Mhz. I made some changes in the BIOS but not to the memory bus
speed as far as I am aware. I think this is the last piece of the
puzzle and once I get it straightened out I will have my box humming
like it should! Thanks!!

JohnS

> even POST. Did I get those settings right? Anyway, I am planning on
> RMA'ing the CPU...does that seem like the right thing to do? Or could
> it be the MB?

I've never had a new cpu fail. And not many old ones either. It has
always been the mobo. I vote for jumper settings too. That jumper
is generally right up front just South of the first PCI slot.

johns

peter

In article <1106929653.328426.125200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
mikednospam-groups@yahoo.com says...
> I will try this but I think this is the configuration I tried and it
> refuses to even POST. I have reset the bios several times and each
> time I get the same problem. Not sure if this helps but there was a
> period of time where the memory was running at 100MHz even though it is
> DDR 3200 and should be running at 200MHz. It does run correctly after
> resetting BIOS but CPU is still not.
>
> Assuming I can't get the system to POST with it set at 13 x 166 which
> component is likely the culprit?

It would help if we knew the motherboard.
--
Pete Ives

Your brain.
(just kidding)

In article <1106960391.160458.257350@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
mikednospam-groups@yahoo.com says...
> Sorry, thought I put it here but must have been in another post. I
> have an MSI K7n2-Delta2-LSR. BIOS is updated to the latest version.

Well, doesn't appear to be any jumper settings on the board for that
mobo. Only thing I could think of was that the cpu's 4 pin header
wasn't connected to the power supply, but would have wondered whether
the computer would have worked at all without that.

--
Pete Ives