PING heirloom: your networked printer?

So, heirloom, have you got the printer drivers installed on both machines
and enabled "file/printer sharing", and got the printer working on your
XP/WinME two-box wired network?

Curious minds await something other than chili, hot air, and smoke ...

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
21 answers Last reply
More about ping heirloom networked printer

    ROFL
    We're all waiting with bated breath <g>
    Joan

    Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    > So, heirloom, have you got the printer drivers installed on both
    > machines and enabled "file/printer sharing", and got the printer
    > working on your XP/WinME two-box wired network?
    >
    > Curious minds await something other than chili, hot air, and smoke ...

    Joan, the definition of "bated breath" is a cat that just nibbled on some
    cheddar!!!

    Bart

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > ROFL
    > We're all waiting with bated breath <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    > > So, heirloom, have you got the printer drivers installed on both
    > > machines and enabled "file/printer sharing", and got the printer
    > > working on your XP/WinME two-box wired network?
    > >
    > > Curious minds await something other than chili, hot air, and smoke ...

    ROFL
    Nice one Bart <g>
    Joan

    Bart wrote:
    > Joan, the definition of "bated breath" is a cat that just nibbled on
    > some cheddar!!!
    >
    > Bart

    I always thought it was "baited breath."

    No, Jack, the printer is still only accessible by the Me box, to which it is
    plugged directly into. The XP box is still refusing to see the Me box. I
    have done everything I can think of, including those items mentioned in your
    post. I used the Networking Wizard on both machines, made a disk with the
    XP machine and loaded settings into the Me box and all seemed to go well,
    but, to no avail. I have no doubt that the printer will work with the XP
    box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
    complete.

    I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
    biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test purposes
    as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4 more).
    Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust and
    still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load, but,
    bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never shows
    the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process Explorer,
    it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start it......odd.
    Heirloom, old and sure is hot today

    HL wrote :-

    >I always thought it was "baited breath."

    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm

    But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct

    Oh, and it's not too warm here.

    Mart

    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
    >I always thought it was "baited breath."
    >
    > No, Jack, the printer is still only accessible by the Me box, to which it
    > is
    > plugged directly into. The XP box is still refusing to see the Me box. I
    > have done everything I can think of, including those items mentioned in
    > your
    > post. I used the Networking Wizard on both machines, made a disk with the
    > XP machine and loaded settings into the Me box and all seemed to go well,
    > but, to no avail. I have no doubt that the printer will work with the XP
    > box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
    > complete.
    >
    > I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
    > biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test
    > purposes
    > as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4
    > more).
    > Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust and
    > still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load,
    > but,
    > bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never shows
    > the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process
    > Explorer,
    > it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start it......odd.
    > Heirloom, old and sure is hot today
    >

    > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >> ROFL
    >> Nice one Bart <g>
    >> Joan
    >>

    >> Bart wrote:
    >> > Joan, the definition of "bated breath" is a cat that just nibbled on
    >> > some cheddar!!!
    >> >
    >> > Bart

    Gall dang, I are edumicated now!! Just goes to show that even an old f*rt
    can learn a new trick. Thanks, Mart!!
    Heirloom, old and just lernt one

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > HL wrote :-
    >
    >>I always thought it was "baited breath."
    >
    > http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
    >
    > But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
    >
    > Oh, and it's not too warm here.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I always thought it was "baited breath."
    >>
    >> No, Jack, the printer is still only accessible by the Me box, to which it
    >> is
    >> plugged directly into. The XP box is still refusing to see the Me box.
    >> have done everything I can think of, including those items mentioned in
    >> your
    >> post. I used the Networking Wizard on both machines, made a disk with
    >> the
    >> XP machine and loaded settings into the Me box and all seemed to go well,
    >> but, to no avail. I have no doubt that the printer will work with the XP
    >> box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
    >> complete.
    >>
    >> I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
    >> biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test
    >> purposes
    >> as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4
    >> more).
    >> Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust and
    >> still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load,
    >> but,
    >> bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never
    >> shows
    >> the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process
    >> Explorer,
    >> it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start
    >> it......odd.
    >> Heirloom, old and sure is hot today
    >>

    >> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >>> ROFL
    >>> Nice one Bart <g>
    >>> Joan

    I love 'dem little mousies,
    Little mousies I love to eat.
    Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
    Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.

    -author unknown for good reason-

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > HL wrote :-
    >
    > >I always thought it was "baited breath."
    >
    > http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
    >
    > But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
    >
    > Oh, and it's not too warm here.
    >
    > Mart

    Hey Bart......this has been driving me crazy!! I think it was on a Kliban
    mug I had.

    Heather

    "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
    > I love 'dem little mousies,
    > Little mousies I love to eat.
    > Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
    > Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.
    >
    > -author unknown for good reason-
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > > HL wrote :-
    > >
    > > >I always thought it was "baited breath."
    > >
    > > http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
    > >
    > > But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
    > >
    > > Oh, and it's not too warm here.
    > >
    > > Mart

    Oh, I got some worser than that........
    Heirloom, old and discretion has a grip on me

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hey Bart......this has been driving me crazy!! I think it was on a Kliban
    > mug I had.
    >
    > Heather
    >
    > "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
    > > I love 'dem little mousies,
    > > Little mousies I love to eat.
    > > Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
    > > Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.
    > >
    > > -author unknown for good reason-
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

    > > > http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
    > > >
    > > > But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
    > > >
    > > > Oh, and it's not too warm here.
    > > >
    > > > Mart

    That we know!! I won't repeat some of your worser ones.....grin.

    Figgs

    > Oh, I got some worser than that........
    > Heirloom, old and discretion has a grip on me
    >

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Hey Bart......this has been driving me crazy!! I think it was on a
    Kliban
    > > mug I had.
    > >
    > > Heather
    > >
    > > "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
    > > > I love 'dem little mousies,
    > > > Little mousies I love to eat.
    > > > Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
    > > > Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.
    > > >
    > > > -author unknown for good reason-
    > > >

    > > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

    T'was, Heather, T'was. Still have MY mug. You? <g>

    Bart

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hey Bart......this has been driving me crazy!! I think it was on a Kliban
    > mug I had.
    >
    > Heather
    >
    > "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
    > > I love 'dem little mousies,
    > > Little mousies I love to eat.
    > > Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
    > > Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.
    > >
    > > -author unknown for good reason-
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

    > > > http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
    > > >
    > > > But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
    > > >
    > > > Oh, and it's not too warm here.
    > > >
    > > > Mart

    Let's begin with the most obvious:

    You disabled the XP firewall and enabled file/ printer sharing on both
    machines and disabled the ZA Pro firewall, right ...
    The printer will be shared only if all boxes are detected on the network.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/

    And you might wish to consider this wireless print server solution:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030327.shtml

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
    > I always thought it was "baited breath."
    >
    > No, Jack, the printer is still only accessible by the Me box, to which it
    is
    > plugged directly into. The XP box is still refusing to see the Me box. I
    > have done everything I can think of, including those items mentioned in
    your
    > post. I used the Networking Wizard on both machines, made a disk with the
    > XP machine and loaded settings into the Me box and all seemed to go well,
    > but, to no avail. I have no doubt that the printer will work with the XP
    > box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
    > complete.
    >
    > I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
    > biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test
    purposes
    > as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4
    more).
    > Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust and
    > still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load,
    but,
    > bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never shows
    > the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process
    Explorer,
    > it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start it......odd.
    > Heirloom, old and sure is hot today
    >

    > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > ROFL
    > > Nice one Bart <g>
    > > Joan
    > >

    > > Bart wrote:
    > > > Joan, the definition of "bated breath" is a cat that just nibbled on
    > > > some cheddar!!!
    > > >
    > > > Bart

    <g> Stupid spellchecker.
    Joan

    heirloom wrote:
    >I always thought it was "baited breath."

    Interesting article Mart, I never even gave it a thought and the spell
    check didn't pick it up, anyway he knew what I meant <g>
    Joan

    Mart wrote:
    > HL wrote :-
    >
    >>I always thought it was "baited breath."
    >
    > http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
    >
    > But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
    >
    > Oh, and it's not too warm here.
    >
    > Mart

    Thanks for the links, Jack. I have been to those and a number of others,
    including the Linksys KB. I did get the two boxes to 'see' each other this
    morning, however, the printer is still in the twilight zone. Not to
    worry.....I have my drives ordered and the XP box will be fully functional
    in the next week or so. The ol' Me box will be set to the side and probably
    won't get a lot of use. I'm looking forward to the, almost, half a terabyte
    of storage.....figure that will last me till I'm gone.

    I'm working well with the current arrangement and not going to waste any
    more time trying to get this 'networking' thing perfected. My limited
    success today was as a result of using the NAT/router IP addresses assigned
    to each machine instead of the machine "name" as requested in the Wizard.
    Heirloom, old and partial success is better than total
    failure

    > Let's begin with the most obvious:
    >
    > You disabled the XP firewall and enabled file/ printer sharing on both
    > machines and disabled the ZA Pro firewall, right ...
    > The printer will be shared only if all boxes are detected on the network.
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm
    >

    > And you might wish to consider this wireless print server solution:
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030327.shtml

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
    > > I always thought it was "baited breath."
    > >
    > > No, Jack, the printer is still only accessible by the Me box, to which
    it
    > is
    > > plugged directly into. The XP box is still refusing to see the Me box.
    > > have done everything I can think of, including those items mentioned in
    > your
    > > post. I used the Networking Wizard on both machines, made a disk with
    the
    > > XP machine and loaded settings into the Me box and all seemed to go
    well,
    > > but, to no avail. I have no doubt that the printer will work with the
    XP
    > > box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
    > > complete.
    > >
    > > I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
    > > biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test
    > purposes
    > > as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4
    > more).
    > > Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust
    and
    > > still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load,
    > but,
    > > bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never
    shows
    > > the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process
    > Explorer,
    > > it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start
    it......odd.
    > > Heirloom, old and sure is hot today
    > >

    > > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > > ROFL
    > > > Nice one Bart <g>
    > > > Joan

    Hi, Heirloom,

    One thing you can try, if you haven't done so, is create a user on your
    XP machine that is the same as the user logon for your ME machine. It's
    not necessary to be logged into the XP machine with the same logon, only
    that the user exists on the XP box. It seems that I've always had to do
    this to get Win9x machines to see Win2K or XP machines (or vice versa).
    Someone may have mentioned it previously, but insure that the IP
    addresses for each machine are set as trusted in ZA, or set a range of
    addresses as trusted on each. Additionally, it helps to have at least
    one shared resource on each box. If this works, then share the printer
    on the ME machine, install the XP printer driver for your printer on XP,
    and then configure the printer on XP.

    It's also an option to create a workgroup with both machines as members
    of the same workgroup sitting behind the router. Everything previously
    mentioned still applies though.

    HTH
    Tom

    heirloom wrote:
    > Thanks for the links, Jack. I have been to those and a number of others,
    > including the Linksys KB. I did get the two boxes to 'see' each other this
    > morning, however, the printer is still in the twilight zone. Not to
    > worry.....I have my drives ordered and the XP box will be fully functional
    > in the next week or so. The ol' Me box will be set to the side and probably
    > won't get a lot of use. I'm looking forward to the, almost, half a terabyte
    > of storage.....figure that will last me till I'm gone.
    >
    > I'm working well with the current arrangement and not going to waste any
    > more time trying to get this 'networking' thing perfected. My limited
    > success today was as a result of using the NAT/router IP addresses assigned
    > to each machine instead of the machine "name" as requested in the Wizard.
    > Heirloom, old and partial success is better than total
    > failure
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Aha....the memory is not so bad after all!! I will have to have a look for
    that one....we are all *cat people* and Elayne bought me that one, I think.

    > T'was, Heather, T'was. Still have MY mug. You? <g>
    >
    > Bart
    >
    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Hey Bart......this has been driving me crazy!! I think it was on a
    Kliban
    > > mug I had.
    > >
    > > Heather
    > >
    > > "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
    > > > I love 'dem little mousies,
    > > > Little mousies I love to eat.
    > > > Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
    > > > Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.
    > > >
    > > > -author unknown for good reason-
    > > >

    > > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Heirloom:

    After reading most of the threads on your printer sharing subject, it just
    occurred to me, not withstanding all the very useful suggestions you did
    get:
    did you consider the simplest of solutions, using a "switch"?
    There are two-, three- and even four-way switches available, if I'm not
    mistaken. In my humble opinion it should work in your case, using a two-way
    switch. All you need to do is switch to the computer in use.
    I am using one myself for quite some time already between my ME machine and
    a Win98SE. It works like a charm.
    As long as you have the XP machine configured properly for your printer,
    there shouldn't be any problems.
    Let me (us) know, what you think of the idea.

    Harry.

> [...]
    > > > box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
    > > > complete.
    > > >
    > > > I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
    > > > biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test
    > > purposes
    > > > as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4
    > > more).
    > > > Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust
    > and
    > > > still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load,
    > > but,
    > > > bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never
    > shows
    > > > the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process
    > > Explorer,
    > > > it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Thanks Harry, yeah, I had thought about just putting an A/B switch in, but,
    the real need was for files.......I'm not that worried about the printer (or
    the files for that matter). With my drives, I am getting a 256M ATA Flash
    card and I can transfer anything needed (just a few programs for which I
    don't have disks). Good idea, however.....I am sure it would work just
    fine.

    TomV,
    I did just what you mentioned and was able to get the machines to
    see each other (see prior posts). For some reason, the printer just won't
    show up. Like I said.......I am not worried about it. In another week or
    so, I be stomping through a half a terabyte of storage on a really neat
    machine.
    Heirloom, old and still sleeps well

    "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, Heirloom,
    >
    > One thing you can try, if you haven't done so, is create a user on your
    > XP machine that is the same as the user logon for your ME machine. It's
    > not necessary to be logged into the XP machine with the same logon, only
    > that the user exists on the XP box. It seems that I've always had to do
    > this to get Win9x machines to see Win2K or XP machines (or vice versa).
    > Someone may have mentioned it previously, but insure that the IP
    > addresses for each machine are set as trusted in ZA, or set a range of
    > addresses as trusted on each. Additionally, it helps to have at least
    > one shared resource on each box. If this works, then share the printer
    > on the ME machine, install the XP printer driver for your printer on XP,
    > and then configure the printer on XP.
    >
    > It's also an option to create a workgroup with both machines as members
    > of the same workgroup sitting behind the router. Everything previously
    > mentioned still applies though.
    >
    > HTH
    > Tom
    >

    > heirloom wrote:
    > > Thanks for the links, Jack. I have been to those and a number of
    others,
    > > including the Linksys KB. I did get the two boxes to 'see' each other
    this
    > > morning, however, the printer is still in the twilight zone. Not to
    > > worry.....I have my drives ordered and the XP box will be fully
    functional
    > > in the next week or so. The ol' Me box will be set to the side and
    probably
    > > won't get a lot of use. I'm looking forward to the, almost, half a
    terabyte
    > > of storage.....figure that will last me till I'm gone.
    > >
    > > I'm working well with the current arrangement and not going to waste any
    > > more time trying to get this 'networking' thing perfected. My limited
    > > success today was as a result of using the NAT/router IP addresses
    assigned
    > > to each machine instead of the machine "name" as requested in the
    Wizard.
    > > Heirloom, old and partial success is better than
    total
    > > failure
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I'm sure you'll work it out. Have fun!

    heirloom wrote:

    > TomV,
    > I did just what you mentioned and was able to get the machines to
    > see each other (see prior posts). For some reason, the printer just won't
    > show up. Like I said.......I am not worried about it. In another week or
    > so, I be stomping through a half a terabyte of storage on a really neat
    > machine.
    > Heirloom, old and still sleeps well

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Heirloom:

    With all this good advice at your disposal you should be able to manage your
    situation exactly the way you want it to be and that - in turn - should let
    you "sleep like a bear".

    Harry.

> [...]
    > > > morning, however, the printer is still in the twilight zone. Not to
    > > > worry.....I have my drives ordered and the XP box will be fully
    > functional
    > > > in the next week or so. The ol' Me box will be set to the side and
    > probably
    > > > won't get a lot of use. I'm looking forward to the, almost, half a
    > terabyte
    > > > of storage.....figure that will last me till I'm gone.
    > > >
    > > > I'm working well with the current arrangement and not going to waste
    any
    > > > more time trying to get this 'networking' thing perfected. My limited
    > > > success today was as a result of using the NAT/router IP addresses
    > assigned
    > > > to each machine instead of the machine "name" as requested in the
    > Wizard.
    > > > Heirloom, old and partial success is better than

Printers Microsoft Windows XP Windows