PING heirloom: your networked printer?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 6, 2005 1:16:57 PM

So, heirloom, have you got the printer drivers installed on both machines
and enabled "file/printer sharing", and got the printer working on your
XP/WinME two-box wired network?

Curious minds await something other than chili, hot air, and smoke ...

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 8:43:53 PM

ROFL
We're all waiting with bated breath <g>
Joan

Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> So, heirloom, have you got the printer drivers installed on both
> machines and enabled "file/printer sharing", and got the printer
> working on your XP/WinME two-box wired network?
>
> Curious minds await something other than chili, hot air, and smoke ...
May 6, 2005 8:43:54 PM

Joan, the definition of "bated breath" is a cat that just nibbled on some
cheddar!!!

Bart

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:o x1NmJlUFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> ROFL
> We're all waiting with bated breath <g>
> Joan
>

> Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> > So, heirloom, have you got the printer drivers installed on both
> > machines and enabled "file/printer sharing", and got the printer
> > working on your XP/WinME two-box wired network?
> >
> > Curious minds await something other than chili, hot air, and smoke ...

May 7, 2005 1:13:34 AM

ROFL
Nice one Bart <g>
Joan

Bart wrote:
> Joan, the definition of "bated breath" is a cat that just nibbled on
> some cheddar!!!
>
> Bart

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:13:35 AM

I always thought it was "baited breath."

No, Jack, the printer is still only accessible by the Me box, to which it is
plugged directly into. The XP box is still refusing to see the Me box. I
have done everything I can think of, including those items mentioned in your
post. I used the Networking Wizard on both machines, made a disk with the
XP machine and loaded settings into the Me box and all seemed to go well,
but, to no avail. I have no doubt that the printer will work with the XP
box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
complete.

I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test purposes
as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4 more).
Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust and
still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load, but,
bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never shows
the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process Explorer,
it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start it......odd.
Heirloom, old and sure is hot today

> ROFL
> Nice one Bart <g>
> Joan
>

> Bart wrote:
> > Joan, the definition of "bated breath" is a cat that just nibbled on
> > some cheddar!!!
> >
> > Bart

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 3:22:09 AM

HL wrote :-

>I always thought it was "baited breath."

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm

But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct

Oh, and it's not too warm here.

Mart

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
>I always thought it was "baited breath."
>
> No, Jack, the printer is still only accessible by the Me box, to which it
> is
> plugged directly into. The XP box is still refusing to see the Me box. I
> have done everything I can think of, including those items mentioned in
> your
> post. I used the Networking Wizard on both machines, made a disk with the
> XP machine and loaded settings into the Me box and all seemed to go well,
> but, to no avail. I have no doubt that the printer will work with the XP
> box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
> complete.
>
> I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
> biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test
> purposes
> as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4
> more).
> Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust and
> still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load,
> but,
> bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never shows
> the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process
> Explorer,
> it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start it......odd.
> Heirloom, old and sure is hot today
>

> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> ROFL
>> Nice one Bart <g>
>> Joan
>>

>> Bart wrote:
>> > Joan, the definition of "bated breath" is a cat that just nibbled on
>> > some cheddar!!!
>> >
>> > Bart

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 3:22:10 AM

Gall dang, I are edumicated now!! Just goes to show that even an old f*rt
can learn a new trick. Thanks, Mart!!
Heirloom, old and just lernt one

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> HL wrote :-
>
>>I always thought it was "baited breath."
>
> http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
>
> But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
>
> Oh, and it's not too warm here.
>
> Mart
>

> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
>>I always thought it was "baited breath."
>>
>> No, Jack, the printer is still only accessible by the Me box, to which it
>> is
>> plugged directly into. The XP box is still refusing to see the Me box.
>> have done everything I can think of, including those items mentioned in
>> your
>> post. I used the Networking Wizard on both machines, made a disk with
>> the
>> XP machine and loaded settings into the Me box and all seemed to go well,
>> but, to no avail. I have no doubt that the printer will work with the XP
>> box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
>> complete.
>>
>> I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
>> biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test
>> purposes
>> as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4
>> more).
>> Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust and
>> still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load,
>> but,
>> bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never
>> shows
>> the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process
>> Explorer,
>> it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start
>> it......odd.
>> Heirloom, old and sure is hot today
>>

>> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> ROFL
>>> Nice one Bart <g>
>>> Joan

May 7, 2005 3:22:10 AM

I love 'dem little mousies,
Little mousies I love to eat.
Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.

-author unknown for good reason-

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> HL wrote :-
>
> >I always thought it was "baited breath."
>
> http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
>
> But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
>
> Oh, and it's not too warm here.
>
> Mart

May 7, 2005 3:27:33 AM

Hey Bart......this has been driving me crazy!! I think it was on a Kliban
mug I had.

Heather

"Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
> I love 'dem little mousies,
> Little mousies I love to eat.
> Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
> Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.
>
> -author unknown for good reason-
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> > HL wrote :-
> >
> > >I always thought it was "baited breath."
> >
> > http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
> >
> > But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
> >
> > Oh, and it's not too warm here.
> >
> > Mart

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 3:27:34 AM

Oh, I got some worser than that........
Heirloom, old and discretion has a grip on me

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hey Bart......this has been driving me crazy!! I think it was on a Kliban
> mug I had.
>
> Heather
>
> "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
> > I love 'dem little mousies,
> > Little mousies I love to eat.
> > Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
> > Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.
> >
> > -author unknown for good reason-
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

> > > http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
> > >
> > > But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
> > >
> > > Oh, and it's not too warm here.
> > >
> > > Mart

May 7, 2005 4:13:58 AM

That we know!! I won't repeat some of your worser ones.....grin.

Figgs

> Oh, I got some worser than that........
> Heirloom, old and discretion has a grip on me
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hey Bart......this has been driving me crazy!! I think it was on a
Kliban
> > mug I had.
> >
> > Heather
> >
> > "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
> > > I love 'dem little mousies,
> > > Little mousies I love to eat.
> > > Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
> > > Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.
> > >
> > > -author unknown for good reason-
> > >

> > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

May 7, 2005 11:11:42 AM

T'was, Heather, T'was. Still have MY mug. You? <g>

Bart

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hey Bart......this has been driving me crazy!! I think it was on a Kliban
> mug I had.
>
> Heather
>
> "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
> > I love 'dem little mousies,
> > Little mousies I love to eat.
> > Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
> > Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.
> >
> > -author unknown for good reason-
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

> > > http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
> > >
> > > But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
> > >
> > > Oh, and it's not too warm here.
> > >
> > > Mart

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:52:18 PM

Let's begin with the most obvious:

You disabled the XP firewall and enabled file/ printer sharing on both
machines and disabled the ZA Pro firewall, right ...
The printer will be shared only if all boxes are detected on the network.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoo...

And you might wish to consider this wireless print server solution:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030327.shtml

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
> I always thought it was "baited breath."
>
> No, Jack, the printer is still only accessible by the Me box, to which it
is
> plugged directly into. The XP box is still refusing to see the Me box. I
> have done everything I can think of, including those items mentioned in
your
> post. I used the Networking Wizard on both machines, made a disk with the
> XP machine and loaded settings into the Me box and all seemed to go well,
> but, to no avail. I have no doubt that the printer will work with the XP
> box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
> complete.
>
> I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
> biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test
purposes
> as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4
more).
> Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust and
> still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load,
but,
> bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never shows
> the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process
Explorer,
> it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start it......odd.
> Heirloom, old and sure is hot today
>

> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > ROFL
> > Nice one Bart <g>
> > Joan
> >

> > Bart wrote:
> > > Joan, the definition of "bated breath" is a cat that just nibbled on
> > > some cheddar!!!
> > >
> > > Bart

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:59:00 PM

<g> Stupid spellchecker.
Joan

heirloom wrote:
>I always thought it was "baited breath."

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 2:02:49 PM

Interesting article Mart, I never even gave it a thought and the spell
check didn't pick it up, anyway he knew what I meant <g>
Joan

Mart wrote:
> HL wrote :-
>
>>I always thought it was "baited breath."
>
> http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
>
> But, in this context ?? Maybe 'baited' is more correct
>
> Oh, and it's not too warm here.
>
> Mart

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 5:48:34 PM

Thanks for the links, Jack. I have been to those and a number of others,
including the Linksys KB. I did get the two boxes to 'see' each other this
morning, however, the printer is still in the twilight zone. Not to
worry.....I have my drives ordered and the XP box will be fully functional
in the next week or so. The ol' Me box will be set to the side and probably
won't get a lot of use. I'm looking forward to the, almost, half a terabyte
of storage.....figure that will last me till I'm gone.

I'm working well with the current arrangement and not going to waste any
more time trying to get this 'networking' thing perfected. My limited
success today was as a result of using the NAT/router IP addresses assigned
to each machine instead of the machine "name" as requested in the Wizard.
Heirloom, old and partial success is better than total
failure

news:o RJv9vwUFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Let's begin with the most obvious:
>
> You disabled the XP firewall and enabled file/ printer sharing on both
> machines and disabled the ZA Pro firewall, right ...
> The printer will be shared only if all boxes are detected on the network.
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoo...
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm
>

> And you might wish to consider this wireless print server solution:
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030327.shtml

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
> > I always thought it was "baited breath."
> >
> > No, Jack, the printer is still only accessible by the Me box, to which
it
> is
> > plugged directly into. The XP box is still refusing to see the Me box.
> > have done everything I can think of, including those items mentioned in
> your
> > post. I used the Networking Wizard on both machines, made a disk with
the
> > XP machine and loaded settings into the Me box and all seemed to go
well,
> > but, to no avail. I have no doubt that the printer will work with the
XP
> > box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
> > complete.
> >
> > I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
> > biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test
> purposes
> > as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4
> more).
> > Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust
and
> > still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load,
> but,
> > bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never
shows
> > the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process
> Explorer,
> > it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start
it......odd.
> > Heirloom, old and sure is hot today
> >

> > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > ROFL
> > > Nice one Bart <g>
> > > Joan

May 7, 2005 5:48:35 PM

Hi, Heirloom,

One thing you can try, if you haven't done so, is create a user on your
XP machine that is the same as the user logon for your ME machine. It's
not necessary to be logged into the XP machine with the same logon, only
that the user exists on the XP box. It seems that I've always had to do
this to get Win9x machines to see Win2K or XP machines (or vice versa).
Someone may have mentioned it previously, but insure that the IP
addresses for each machine are set as trusted in ZA, or set a range of
addresses as trusted on each. Additionally, it helps to have at least
one shared resource on each box. If this works, then share the printer
on the ME machine, install the XP printer driver for your printer on XP,
and then configure the printer on XP.

It's also an option to create a workgroup with both machines as members
of the same workgroup sitting behind the router. Everything previously
mentioned still applies though.

HTH
Tom

heirloom wrote:
> Thanks for the links, Jack. I have been to those and a number of others,
> including the Linksys KB. I did get the two boxes to 'see' each other this
> morning, however, the printer is still in the twilight zone. Not to
> worry.....I have my drives ordered and the XP box will be fully functional
> in the next week or so. The ol' Me box will be set to the side and probably
> won't get a lot of use. I'm looking forward to the, almost, half a terabyte
> of storage.....figure that will last me till I'm gone.
>
> I'm working well with the current arrangement and not going to waste any
> more time trying to get this 'networking' thing perfected. My limited
> success today was as a result of using the NAT/router IP addresses assigned
> to each machine instead of the machine "name" as requested in the Wizard.
> Heirloom, old and partial success is better than total
> failure
May 7, 2005 5:50:07 PM

Aha....the memory is not so bad after all!! I will have to have a look for
that one....we are all *cat people* and Elayne bought me that one, I think.

> T'was, Heather, T'was. Still have MY mug. You? <g>
>
> Bart
>
> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hey Bart......this has been driving me crazy!! I think it was on a
Kliban
> > mug I had.
> >
> > Heather
> >
> > "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
> > > I love 'dem little mousies,
> > > Little mousies I love to eat.
> > > Bite 'dey tiny heads off,
> > > Nibble on 'dey tiny feet.
> > >
> > > -author unknown for good reason-
> > >

> > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 7:40:08 PM

Heirloom:

After reading most of the threads on your printer sharing subject, it just
occurred to me, not withstanding all the very useful suggestions you did
get:
did you consider the simplest of solutions, using a "switch"?
There are two-, three- and even four-way switches available, if I'm not
mistaken. In my humble opinion it should work in your case, using a two-way
switch. All you need to do is switch to the computer in use.
I am using one myself for quite some time already between my ME machine and
a Win98SE. It works like a charm.
As long as you have the XP machine configured properly for your printer,
there shouldn't be any problems.
Let me (us) know, what you think of the idea.

Harry.

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
news:o JcXVVzUFHA.544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > > box when I hook it up directly, which I plan to do as soon as it is
> > > complete.
> > >
> > > I have concluded that the shared printer is not meant to be. No real
> > > biggie, as I plan to use the Me box as a secondary machine for test
> > purposes
> > > as soon as I can afford to get the rest of my drives. (Still need 4
> > more).
> > > Since installing the new printer, my Print Shop programs bit the dust
> and
> > > still won't work after uninstalling and reinstalling. PS 6 will load,
> > but,
> > > bombs with various modules causing an error in GDI.exe. PS 10 never
> shows
> > > the GUI or an error, and yet, when looking at End Task or Process
> > Explorer,
> > > it shows PS 10 running....once for each time I tried to start

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 10:00:22 PM

Thanks Harry, yeah, I had thought about just putting an A/B switch in, but,
the real need was for files.......I'm not that worried about the printer (or
the files for that matter). With my drives, I am getting a 256M ATA Flash
card and I can transfer anything needed (just a few programs for which I
don't have disks). Good idea, however.....I am sure it would work just
fine.

TomV,
I did just what you mentioned and was able to get the machines to
see each other (see prior posts). For some reason, the printer just won't
show up. Like I said.......I am not worried about it. In another week or
so, I be stomping through a half a terabyte of storage on a really neat
machine.
Heirloom, old and still sleeps well

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Heirloom,
>
> One thing you can try, if you haven't done so, is create a user on your
> XP machine that is the same as the user logon for your ME machine. It's
> not necessary to be logged into the XP machine with the same logon, only
> that the user exists on the XP box. It seems that I've always had to do
> this to get Win9x machines to see Win2K or XP machines (or vice versa).
> Someone may have mentioned it previously, but insure that the IP
> addresses for each machine are set as trusted in ZA, or set a range of
> addresses as trusted on each. Additionally, it helps to have at least
> one shared resource on each box. If this works, then share the printer
> on the ME machine, install the XP printer driver for your printer on XP,
> and then configure the printer on XP.
>
> It's also an option to create a workgroup with both machines as members
> of the same workgroup sitting behind the router. Everything previously
> mentioned still applies though.
>
> HTH
> Tom
>

> heirloom wrote:
> > Thanks for the links, Jack. I have been to those and a number of
others,
> > including the Linksys KB. I did get the two boxes to 'see' each other
this
> > morning, however, the printer is still in the twilight zone. Not to
> > worry.....I have my drives ordered and the XP box will be fully
functional
> > in the next week or so. The ol' Me box will be set to the side and
probably
> > won't get a lot of use. I'm looking forward to the, almost, half a
terabyte
> > of storage.....figure that will last me till I'm gone.
> >
> > I'm working well with the current arrangement and not going to waste any
> > more time trying to get this 'networking' thing perfected. My limited
> > success today was as a result of using the NAT/router IP addresses
assigned
> > to each machine instead of the machine "name" as requested in the
Wizard.
> > Heirloom, old and partial success is better than
total
> > failure
May 7, 2005 10:00:23 PM

I'm sure you'll work it out. Have fun!

heirloom wrote:

> TomV,
> I did just what you mentioned and was able to get the machines to
> see each other (see prior posts). For some reason, the printer just won't
> show up. Like I said.......I am not worried about it. In another week or
> so, I be stomping through a half a terabyte of storage on a really neat
> machine.
> Heirloom, old and still sleeps well

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 11:39:47 PM

Heirloom:

With all this good advice at your disposal you should be able to manage your
situation exactly the way you want it to be and that - in turn - should let
you "sleep like a bear".

Harry.

!