CDRom Disappears

I have a friend that says his CDRom has disappeared in WindowsME, I haven't
looked at it yet to see is anything is lose inside of it. Before I get crazy
with it has anyone see Windows ME lose its CDRom before? If so what they did
to correct this issue. It probably a driver or something but I just want to
see what everyone might know about this problem.

thanks

Don't forget, this may not be a WinMe issue - there are other things to
consider first.

First question - has anyone been 'under the bonnet' and disturbed any of the
wiring within the computer?

You must ensure that the PC does actually 'see' the CD-ROM. Its cables *may*
have become dislodged. Either look in the BIOS to see if it is recognised
there, or confirm that you can 'see' it in Real Mode DOS

To 'see' it in Real Mode DOS, Boot, using your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk
in the A: drive.
Select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support.

Let the screen information scroll until you eventually see a line which
should report a drive letter for the CD-ROM - but note that it may not
necessarily the same letter as you would expect to see in Windows.

For example, you should see the CD-ROM, becoming the E:, so the screen
should show:
> Drive E:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 0
> Your CD-ROM Is Drive E

When the boot disk finally settles down, you will be presented with an A:\>
prompt.

Now put a (data) CD into the CD-ROM and at the A:\> prompt, type "E:" (no
quotes and note the colon after the letter E) Then Press Return.

Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space) Then
press Return.

You should see a listing of the CD contents.

Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any

Mart

"hustedj" <hustedj@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have a friend that says his CDRom has disappeared in WindowsME, I haven't
>looked at it yet to see is anything is lose inside of it. Before I get
>crazy with it has anyone see Windows ME lose its CDRom before? If so what
>they did to correct this issue. It probably a driver or something but I
>just want to see what everyone might know about this problem.
>
> thanks

It turns out the CDRom was bad..............

"hustedj" <hustedj@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have a friend that says his CDRom has disappeared in WindowsME, I haven't
>looked at it yet to see is anything is lose inside of it. Before I get
>crazy with it has anyone see Windows ME lose its CDRom before? If so what
>they did to correct this issue. It probably a driver or something but I
>just want to see what everyone might know about this problem.
>
> thanks

> It turns out the CDRom was bad..............

.............. Not a particularly uncommon cause!! - I'm pleased his
machine is now OK and thanks for the feedback.