Slow File Transfers with WINXP Pro Ed

I recently set a Wireless G LAN (WPA TKIP security) using a Netgear Cable
Router and Netgear USB 2.0 Adapter.

I have a WIN98SE machine (w/ local printer) wired to the router
and a XP Pro Machine connecting via USB Wireless Adapter. I have
successfully connected to the internet from both machines and shared
files/printers between both computers.

However, the problem I have the WIN XP Pro machine initiated actions are
much slower over the wireless network. Files transfers (reading/copying
from/to either machine) actions initiated by the WIN98SE machine are more
than 5X as fast the file transfer actions initiated by the WIN XP Pro
machine.

I am using latest firmware for router and latest available driver for USB
adapter. I have tried disabling firewall and antivirus monitoring software
on both computers. (No effect)

Any help with resolving the above performance issue would be greatly
appreciated.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Do you know how fast the transfer is? Wireless will be slower, and a little
more with security in place.

If you want to check your actual speeds, go to the below site and download
the program. It will give you your inbound and outbound transfer speeds.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm

While you are doing that, you might run some ping tests between the
computers to see what times you are getting, and you might open a command
window and use the ipconfig /all command to see what IP addresses you show
for the wireless.

Are you using the Windows WZC utility for the wireless?

Clark

"RK" <utkvol90@knology.net> wrote in message
>I recently set a Wireless G LAN (WPA TKIP security) using a Netgear Cable
>Router and Netgear USB 2.0 Adapter.
>
> I have a WIN98SE machine (w/ local printer) wired to the router
> and a XP Pro Machine connecting via USB Wireless Adapter. I have
> successfully connected to the internet from both machines and shared
> files/printers between both computers.
>
> However, the problem I have the WIN XP Pro machine initiated actions are
> much slower over the wireless network. Files transfers (reading/copying
> from/to either machine) actions initiated by the WIN98SE machine are more
> than 5X as fast the file transfer actions initiated by the WIN XP Pro
> machine.
>
> I am using latest firmware for router and latest available driver for USB
> adapter. I have tried disabling firewall and antivirus monitoring software
> on both computers. (No effect)
>
> Any help with resolving the above performance issue would be greatly
> appreciated.

Thanks for the advice.

I download the program. During transfer of a data file about 1MB in size
WINXP machine delays (several seconds) before file transfer starts. Maximum
observed speeds Incoming/Outcoming were about 337.8 KB / 302.5 KB. However
when initiating same file transfer (copy) from WIN98 machine the WINXP
incoming/outcoming recorded max. speeds boosted to 537.9KB / 836.2 KB.
Additionally the delayed action is not seen when working on the WIN98
machine.

I am using the Netgear Smart Wizard Wireless Assistant to manage wireless
connection. Any thoughts why the WINXP machine seems to respond much slower
to network traffic. Its stange to me because eventhough the WIN98 machine
is wired to the router, it still has to negotiate the wireless network to
connect to the WINXP machine on the local network.

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> Do you know how fast the transfer is? Wireless will be slower, and a
> little more with security in place.
>
> If you want to check your actual speeds, go to the below site and download
> the program. It will give you your inbound and outbound transfer speeds.
>
> http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm
>
> While you are doing that, you might run some ping tests between the
> computers to see what times you are getting, and you might open a command
> window and use the ipconfig /all command to see what IP addresses you show
> for the wireless.
>
> Are you using the Windows WZC utility for the wireless?
>
> Clark
>
> "RK" <utkvol90@knology.net> wrote in message
>>I recently set a Wireless G LAN (WPA TKIP security) using a Netgear Cable
>>Router and Netgear USB 2.0 Adapter.
>>
>> I have a WIN98SE machine (w/ local printer) wired to the router
>> and a XP Pro Machine connecting via USB Wireless Adapter. I have
>> successfully connected to the internet from both machines and shared
>> files/printers between both computers.
>>
>> However, the problem I have the WIN XP Pro machine initiated actions are
>> much slower over the wireless network. Files transfers (reading/copying
>> from/to either machine) actions initiated by the WIN98SE machine are more
>> than 5X as fast the file transfer actions initiated by the WIN XP Pro
>> machine.
>>
>> I am using latest firmware for router and latest available driver for USB
>> adapter. I have tried disabling firewall and antivirus monitoring
>> software
>> on both computers. (No effect)
>>
>> Any help with resolving the above performance issue would be greatly
>> appreciated.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Keep in mind that using a wireless security slows down the process quite a
bit, but here is a link that might explain some more. The program you are
using for speed checking is using KB not Kb, so you need to multiply by 8 to
get the kbps speed.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12308