Intel Developing New SSD Specification for Ultrabooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Because I fear it won't be adopted by everyone. Namely AMD. Perhaps Apple as well.[/citation]
Because everyone knows AMD doesn't use x86, sse, or mmx.

Apple wouldn't use anything from Intel, not their processors, or the thunderbolt ports, or motherboards, or anything at all...... They only use Apple products, that's why the macbook air has an A5 APU, and the mac pro runs a risc PowerPC chip...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Because everyone knows AMD doesn't use x86, sse, or mmx.Apple wouldn't use anything from Intel, not their processors, or the thunderbolt ports, or motherboards, or anything at all...... They only use Apple products, that's why the macbook air has an A5 APU, and the mac pro runs a risc PowerPC chip...[/citation]
Ultrabooks are in direct competition with Apple's Air line. Even if they are using the same components, it puts stress on the relationship. By actually favoring Apple with Thunderbolt, it may have hindered the adoption of Thunderbolt to other manufacturers, as it may have increased licensing costs (much like Firewire was a slow adoption after Intel pushed USB without Apple).

I said in my OP that I appreciate someone with clout doing this. But Intel, unless they do this wisely, might make as simple an issue as this standard, become divisive.

G

Firewire was slow to adoption because when it came out it was inferior to USB. Intel had nothing to do with that =/

markdj

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Ultrabooks are in direct competition with Apple's Air line. Even if they are using the same components, it puts stress on the relationship. By actually favoring Apple with Thunderbolt, it may have hindered the adoption of Thunderbolt to other manufacturers, as it may have increased licensing costs (much like Firewire was a slow adoption after Intel pushed USB without Apple). I said in my OP that I appreciate someone with clout doing this. But Intel, unless they do this wisely, might make as simple an issue as this standard, become divisive.[/citation]

Well apple will have to use this if they want to stay competitive with higher capacity ssds and still small form factor.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]c123s456[/nom]Firewire was slow to adoption because when it came out it was inferior to USB. Intel had nothing to do with that =/[/citation]

really, i thought firewire was suppose to be faster than usb by allot, even usb 2 while theoretically was faster never matched firewire, and only usb3 really pushed it... the only reason firewire wasn't standard was because of apple holding onto its name, and forcing everyone else to use the letter number name i cant remember, which for normal users, means nothing, so it couldn't be used as a marketing point.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Because I fear it won't be adopted by everyone. Namely AMD. Perhaps Apple as well.[/citation]
AMD won't have to support this because AMD is not in the business of manufacturing SSDs. Still I'm 100% positive if Intel opens the spec both AMD will be delighted as it means devices that are equipped with AMD processors will largely benefit from this as well as Intel. As far as Apple is concerned if this new standard decreases cost and or allows them to build smaller devices I'm sure Apple will be on board with this as well.

[citation][nom]c123s456[/nom]Firewire was slow to adoption because when it came out it was inferior to USB. Intel had nothing to do with that =/[/citation]
Fire wire had slow adoptation because of many reasons
1) more expensive to manufacture compared to usb 1.1
2) larger interface and controller chips compared to usb
3) very few devices demanded or needed the 200Mbps of firewire (actuially it could go up to 400Mbps, but most controllers were gimped at 200Mbps until 1394a was released). The 12Mbps of USB was more than adequate for most devices at the time.
4) when USB2 came out against firewire2 (1394a, which is still oddly the standard for most FW devices in spite of its age and the vast superiority of 1394b), USB had already won the standards war for periphrials, and it was backwards compatible to a multitude of older devices, so people stuck with what they were familiar with. USB2 was superior for small file transfers, while FW400 was faster for large chunk transfers, so FW became almost entirely dedicated to video camera connectivity, and a select few pro audio devices and HDD enclosures
5) And this is the most important reason; Fire Wire is called fire wire because it will literally burn out your equipment! The amperage is too high, and the interface is too poorly designed, so it can literally bridge and fry your (expensive) video cameras and HDD interfaces. And if you burn out the controller on your mobo then it will instantly fry every piece of equipment that you plug into it (ask me how I know lol). USB was simply safer to use, so manufacturers used it.
6) FW800 made too many changes, and has become nearly entirely useless. USB3, eSATA, thunderbolt, and even HDMI make for better transfer mediums, and so FW800 died before it even reached the PC market... doomed forever to be that one odd mystery port on macs that is never used.

Firewire was (until recently) always superior to USB. It has much faster data rates, much less overhead in it's transfers, and a much better ability to power devices so that less power adapters were needed. But (like betamax) it just goes to show that the 'superior' technology is not always 'better', and certainly not given any sort of right to survive in the market when it fails in other areas (like expense, and design flaws)... Intel should take note of this with DP/Thunderbolt...

almost forgot
7) fat, heavy, and inflexible cables are required for FW, which users (and manufacturers) do not like. USB on the other hand works just fine with even absolute junk wiring.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
So when can we get battery size specification standard with diff size for diff devices, like ATX that comes with diff size, EATX, mAtx, ITX?

You know I am not happy to get rip off by Oem for replacing or adding a second my battery.

Standardize battery size can also introduce 3rd partly manufacturer to offer "better/cheaper" battery.

chazbeaver

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Apple wouldn't use anything from Intel, not their processors, or the thunderbolt ports, or motherboards, or anything at all...... They only use Apple products, that's why the macbook air has an A5 APU, and the mac pro runs a risc PowerPC chip...[/citation]
Um, Thunderbolt is designed by Intel, and most Macs made the switch a while ago to Intel processors. Macbook Airs have an i5 or i7 processor. This is why you can install Windows on a Mac.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]chazbeaver[/nom]Um, Thunderbolt is designed by Intel, and most Macs made the switch a while ago to Intel processors. Macbook Airs have an i5 or i7 processor. This is why you can install Windows on a Mac.[/citation]

Your sarcasm detector is broken.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]chazbeaver[/nom]Um, Thunderbolt is designed by Intel, and most Macs made the switch a while ago to Intel processors. Macbook Airs have an i5 or i7 processor. This is why you can install Windows on a Mac.[/citation]
He was being sarcastic.

Missing the point people...

The mSATA SSD format is likely only going to be for pre-installed SSD's basically like how you purchase tablets today.

It's not something the average person has to concern themselves with.

My new iPad 3 has 64GB of memory and it's made out of jelly bears? Okay, 64GB. I'm good.

Status
Not open for further replies.