Socket 754 motherboard BIOS upgrade for Sempron 3100+

Hi,

I want to buy a Socket 754 motherboard and Sempron 3100+ CPU. Yeah I
know it is not the latest or fastest but as the budget is tight and I
want to reuse my DDR266 memory sticks, that is what I have to go for.

I have been told that most Socket 754 motherboards have BIOS for the
Athlon 64bit and you would need a BIOS upgrade to use the Sempron. How
do you upgrade the BIOS if you dont have an Athlon 64bit processor to
start up the PC in the first place.

Can anyone help?
3 answers Last reply
More about socket motherboard bios upgrade sempron 3100

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-147&depa=0

    <squidk@f2s.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to buy a Socket 754 motherboard and Sempron 3100+ CPU. Yeah I
    > know it is not the latest or fastest but as the budget is tight and I
    > want to reuse my DDR266 memory sticks, that is what I have to go for.
    >
    > I have been told that most Socket 754 motherboards have BIOS for the
    > Athlon 64bit and you would need a BIOS upgrade to use the Sempron. How
    > do you upgrade the BIOS if you dont have an Athlon 64bit processor to
    > start up the PC in the first place.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    So how do I know if the BIOS is set for the Sempron on this board.
    There are many Socket 754 boards to take Sempron and Athlon 64 bit
    Processors but I have seen many reviews that say that the BIOS is only
    set for the Athlon,

    I own one...see picture:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-136-147-07.jpg/13-136-147-02.jpg/13-136-147-04.jpg/13-136-147-03.jpg/13-136-147-05.jpg&CurImage=13-136-147-05.jpg

    "SquiddlyDiddly" <squidk@f2s.com> wrote in message
    > So how do I know if the BIOS is set for the Sempron on this board.
    > There are many Socket 754 boards to take Sempron and Athlon 64 bit
    > Processors but I have seen many reviews that say that the BIOS is only
    > set for the Athlon,

Homebuilt BIOS Sempron Socket Motherboards Systems