PC Anywhere Equivalent ?

Nomad

Dear ol' mother now has a computer, with WinXP. Me, still using WinME,
would like to help her out on-line so to speak, using something like PC
Anywhere. I say "something like", because I'd really like to find a
freeware PC Anywhere equivalent.

Q. If I'm using WinME, can I do this if she's using WinXP?

Q. Would anyone know where I could find a freeware equivalent of PC
Anywhere ? I'd Google for it but I don't know what these
help-a-person-on-line programs are called in order to search for it. TIA.
--
Nomad

Look for RealVNC or one of its derivatives (TightVNC, UltraVNC, etc) in
Google.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 21:50:39 GMT, Nomad wrote:

> Dear ol' mother now has a computer, with WinXP. Me, still using WinME,
> would like to help her out on-line so to speak, using something like PC
> Anywhere. I say "something like", because I'd really like to find a
> freeware PC Anywhere equivalent.
>
> Q. If I'm using WinME, can I do this if she's using WinXP?
>
> Q. Would anyone know where I could find a freeware equivalent of PC
> Anywhere ? I'd Google for it but I don't know what these
> help-a-person-on-line programs are called in order to search for it. TIA.

Google on "remote desktop", or "remote computer control". Among other
things that come to mind. Even "remote access terminal" would work; but
some "RATS" are trouble. Indeed, when looking for freeware remote access
applications, you really need to check the background of the publisher
carefully; lest you wind up with a shady product.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

XP Home or XP Pro? If XP Pro, which I realise is the less likely, you
could run the free Microsoft Remote Desktop client on your Win Me PC and
use this to access your mother's PC.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Nomad <doesntwork@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear ol' mother now has a computer, with WinXP. Me, still using
> WinME, would like to help her out on-line so to speak, using
> something like PC Anywhere. I say "something like", because I'd
> really like to find a freeware PC Anywhere equivalent.
>
> Q. If I'm using WinME, can I do this if she's using WinXP?
>
> Q. Would anyone know where I could find a freeware equivalent of
> PC Anywhere ? I'd Google for it but I don't know what these
> help-a-person-on-line programs are called in order to search for it.
> TIA.

Nomad

Thanks to Mike (Mother uses the Home version by the way), Richard and
N.Miller for your replys. Most appreciated.
--
Nomad

"Nomad" <doesntwork@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear ol' mother now has a computer, with WinXP. Me, still using WinME,
> would like to help her out on-line so to speak, using something like PC
> Anywhere. I say "something like", because I'd really like to find a
> freeware PC Anywhere equivalent.
>
> Q. If I'm using WinME, can I do this if she's using WinXP?
>
> Q. Would anyone know where I could find a freeware equivalent of PC
> Anywhere ? I'd Google for it but I don't know what these
> help-a-person-on-line programs are called in order to search for it. TIA.
> --
> Nomad

bobt

I am in the same situation as you. Mother-in-law xp me on ME.

We use Netmeeting.
She shares here desktop and allows control.
Then she watches what I do while talking through Netmeeting.
Talking through netmeeting has the added feature of allowing to turn up the
volume of the speakers much higher than she can hear on the phone.

"Nomad" <doesntwork@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear ol' mother now has a computer, with WinXP. Me, still using WinME,
> would like to help her out on-line so to speak, using something like PC
> Anywhere. I say "something like", because I'd really like to find a
> freeware PC Anywhere equivalent.
>
> Q. If I'm using WinME, can I do this if she's using WinXP?
>
> Q. Would anyone know where I could find a freeware equivalent of PC
> Anywhere ? I'd Google for it but I don't know what these
> help-a-person-on-line programs are called in order to search for it. TIA.
> --
> Nomad

Nomad

Hey, now there's a novel, potentially easy and free idea BobT, thanks, I'll
try that.
--
Nomad