Cheap OS SW for real?

I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
OS on a old company laptop I have with a fresh install (there is nothing I
need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some hidden gimmick there
like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like that. I see it on
Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.

http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html

jtsnow wrote:

> I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace
> the OS on a old company laptop I have with a fresh install (there is
> nothing I
> need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some hidden gimmick
> there
> like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like that. I see it on
> Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.
>

> http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html

I wouldn't trust anything on Ebay, esspecially since Microsoft is going to
require you to verify that you don't have a pirated copy of Windows to use
Windows Update, soon.

Here's a good copy of Windows XP for cheap, but there's a string attached:
You have to buy hardware of some kind to get a copy.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614

--

Registered Linux user #378193

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace the
>OS on a old company laptop I have with a fresh install (there is nothing I
>need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some hidden gimmick
>there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like that. I see
>it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.
>

> http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html

Windows 2000 is really old, almost antique (in computer terms) software. It
doesn't surprise me to see it highly discounted. It's almost as old
(relatively speaking) as Windows 98, and how much would you pay for that?
So the link to Windows 2000 for fifty bucks is very believable, as a
legitimate deal with no catch.

Windows XP is also somewhat old now (in computer terms). But it is still a
*current* offering, so it will be harder to find legitimate bargains. I've
seen many offers for Windows XP on ebay for really cheap prices. They are
legitimate offers, with a minor catch. The license agreement says that it
must be purchased with hardware, and can only be used with that hardware.
So to be absolutely legit, you'd have to never remove/update/replace the
hardware that you purchased with the XP Operating System. So if it came
with a stick of RAM, for example, the OS could be used with that stick of
RAM -ONLY-. If you want to upgrade to faster RAM, you need to purchase a
new OS to do so. An example of one of these (with miscellaneous hardware)
auctions is below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41888&item=7130811254&rd=1
(note that I am in no way affiliated with this particular auction)

Whether this is a hidden gimmick or not is up to you. If you are the type
of person to use a computer for many years without upgrading/replacing it,
it really COULD be a good deal. But then, if you are looking for an OS for
a laptop, it might be tough to find the right hardware/OS package to go with
that. (non-peripheral hardware to install in a notebook?!? . . . good
uck) -Dave

thanks all...those are great inputs. thanks for take so much time to
respond!

thank you!

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace
>>the OS on a old company laptop I have with a fresh install (there is
>>nothing I need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some hidden
>>gimmick there like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like
>>that. I see it on Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.
>>

>> http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html
>

> Windows 2000 is really old, almost antique (in computer terms) software.
> It doesn't surprise me to see it highly discounted. It's almost as old
> (relatively speaking) as Windows 98, and how much would you pay for that?
> So the link to Windows 2000 for fifty bucks is very believable, as a
> legitimate deal with no catch.
>
> Windows XP is also somewhat old now (in computer terms). But it is still
> a *current* offering, so it will be harder to find legitimate bargains.
> I've seen many offers for Windows XP on ebay for really cheap prices.
> They are legitimate offers, with a minor catch. The license agreement
> says that it must be purchased with hardware, and can only be used with
> that hardware. So to be absolutely legit, you'd have to never
> remove/update/replace the hardware that you purchased with the XP
> Operating System. So if it came with a stick of RAM, for example, the OS
> could be used with that stick of RAM -ONLY-. If you want to upgrade to
> faster RAM, you need to purchase a new OS to do so. An example of one of
> these (with miscellaneous hardware) auctions is below:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41888&item=7130811254&rd=1
> (note that I am in no way affiliated with this particular auction)
>
> Whether this is a hidden gimmick or not is up to you. If you are the type
> of person to use a computer for many years without upgrading/replacing it,
> it really COULD be a good deal. But then, if you are looking for an OS
> for a laptop, it might be tough to find the right hardware/OS package to
> go with that. (non-peripheral hardware to install in a notebook?!? . . .
> good uck) -Dave

dos

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> jtsnow wrote:
>
> > I see things like Windows 2000 or XP for $50. I would like to replace
> > the OS on a old company laptop I have with a fresh install (there is
> > nothing I
> > need to keep). Is that stuff for real or is there some hidden gimmick
> > there
> > like wont let me use it after 30 days or something like that. I see it
on
> > Ebay and here is url too. Any tips appreciated.
> >

> > http://fansoft.info/os/win2000.html
>
> I wouldn't trust anything on Ebay, esspecially since Microsoft is going to
> require you to verify that you don't have a pirated copy of Windows to use
> Windows Update, soon.
>
> Here's a good copy of Windows XP for cheap, but there's a string attached:
> You have to buy hardware of some kind to get a copy.
>
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614

Nope:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=314801

thats how they get around it legally....

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>Windows 2000 is really old, almost antique (in computer terms)
>software. It doesn't surprise me to see it highly discounted.
>It's almost as old (relatively speaking) as Windows 98, and how
>much would you pay for that? So the link to Windows 2000 for fifty
>bucks is very believable, as a legitimate deal with no catch.
>Windows XP is also somewhat old now (in computer terms). But it is
>still a *current* offering, so it will be harder to find legitimate
>bargains. I've seen many offers for Windows XP on ebay for really
>cheap prices. They are legitimate offers, with a minor catch. The
>license agreement says that it must be purchased with hardware, and
>can only be used with that hardware. So to be absolutely legit,
>you'd have to never remove/update/replace the hardware that you
>purchased with the XP Operating System.

I think that's absolutely legit to the point of silly, for most of us
living in the real world. That assumes the buyer remembers the
transaction. Lots of things are written, few things are meaningful.

The first time I bought one from eBay the seller didn't deliver. He
immediately refunded my money when I asked about it (after I did
copious amounts of research on him and found out he was living in a
hotel in San Diego). After lots of looking on eBay the second time, I
ended up buying Windows XP from an online merchant for the same price
or less than current prices on eBay.

doS wrote:

>> Here's a good copy of Windows XP for cheap, but there's a string
>> attached: You have to buy hardware of some kind to get a copy.
>>
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614
>
> Nope:
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=314801
>
> thats how they get around it legally....

That's a new one on me... I'm going to have to remember that for when I
build my next system (AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core) and put Windows XP-64 on it!

--

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:59:58 -0500, "doS" <pj4@ever.com> wrote:

>"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message

>> Here's a good copy of Windows XP for cheap, but there's a string attached:
>> You have to buy hardware of some kind to get a copy.
>>
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614
>
>Nope:
>http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=314801
>
>thats how they get around it legally....

Not for much longer, MS is going to, or already is, working on
stamping out that practise.

Gary J. Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:59:58 -0500, "doS" <pj4@ever.com> wrote:
>> "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Here's a good copy of Windows XP for cheap, but there's a string
>>> attached: You have to buy hardware of some kind to get a copy.

>> Nope:
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=314801

Thanks, I didn't know they automatically including hardware.

>> thats how they get around it legally....
>
>Not for much longer, MS is going to, or already is, working on
>stamping out that practise.

Some don't even bother to ship hardware.