XP Failed Again!!

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 8, 2005 1:27:07 AM

Sigh!!

Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a second hard
drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20 minutes and then
crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with the upgrade in February
(G)....which I am glad to hear.

Seems my motherboard is too old to support not only XP, but the installation
of a second hard drive. He tried with an 80 gig, then a 40 and then a 20.
I can't remember exactly all he told me, but he worked on it for a long
time.

He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem in the
motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right. But the end result is that I
will be using WinME until this computer fails me.....or Willy builds me a
new one for a reasonable price. He picked up a problem starting with the
hard drive (not bad sectors) and just told me to make sure I keep everything
backed up.

It was disappointing.....but he says that this computer is in pretty darn
good shape for 4 years old, and also the fastest WinME he has ever seen. He
was quite amazed at how *clean* it was.....I guess he gets a lot of them
with tons of cookies and *.tmp files, etc. Not to mention viruses. Two
people brought theirs in while I was there and they both had viruses. No
excuse for that in this day and age!!

And the best part is he didn't charge me one cent!! But I knew he was a
good guy. Plus he let me sit and watch him trying to get rid of multi
viruses on an XP computer and then finally did a reinstall of XP because it
had an MBR virus. Interesting.....and I learned quite a bit from him.

As I have always said......I am that one in a 100 where really strange
things go wrong. And it doesn't seem to be changing, lol.

So if I win more than I did in the last lottery, I will buy a new computer
from him. I just won a $200 Bugatti leather backpack in one of the hospital
lotteries....just what I need!! Elayne now has her first Xmas present!!

She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for Quebec.
So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!

Cheers...Heather

More about : failed

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 2:57:02 AM

Heather wrote:
> Sigh!!
>
> Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a second hard
> drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20 minutes and then
> crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with the upgrade in February
> (G)....which I am glad to hear.

hmmph, amateurs... drop it off at the door along with some suitable
edible offering.

> Seems my motherboard is too old to support not only XP, but the installation
> of a second hard drive. He tried with an 80 gig, then a 40 and then a 20.
> I can't remember exactly all he told me, but he worked on it for a long
> time.
>
> He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem in the
> motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right.

"software modems" are just that, though there's a basic hardware
connection to plug in to the phone jack.

<snip>
> It was disappointing.....but he says that this computer is in pretty darn
> good shape for 4 years old, and also the fastest WinME he has ever seen. He
> was quite amazed at how *clean* it was.....I guess he gets a lot of them
> with tons of cookies and *.tmp files, etc. Not to mention viruses. Two
> people brought theirs in while I was there and they both had viruses. No
> excuse for that in this day and age!!

Does he know that in case he runs into problems and hits the M$ NGs,
you're the one who helps him out ?

<snip>
> She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for Quebec.
> So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
> regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!

heheh, mais oui, they don't bother with the Anglais much outside of
Montreal.

Rick

> Cheers...Heather

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 2:57:03 AM

I got mine, Figglet......nyah, nyah, nah, nyaaaaaah, nyah. Not only that,
the end package will have 7 drives, yup, count 'em, 7!!!
Heirloom, old and even I have XP <g>

> Heather wrote:
> > Sigh!!
> >
> > Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a second
hard
> > drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20 minutes and then
> > crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with the upgrade in
February
> > (G)....which I am glad to hear.
>
> hmmph, amateurs... drop it off at the door along with some suitable
> edible offering.
>

> > Seems my motherboard is too old to support not only XP, but the
installation
> > of a second hard drive. He tried with an 80 gig, then a 40 and then a
20.
> > I can't remember exactly all he told me, but he worked on it for a long
> > time.
> >
> > He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem in
the
> > motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right.
>
> "software modems" are just that, though there's a basic hardware
> connection to plug in to the phone jack.
>
> <snip>
> > It was disappointing.....but he says that this computer is in pretty
darn
> > good shape for 4 years old, and also the fastest WinME he has ever seen.
He
> > was quite amazed at how *clean* it was.....I guess he gets a lot of them
> > with tons of cookies and *.tmp files, etc. Not to mention viruses. Two
> > people brought theirs in while I was there and they both had viruses.
No
> > excuse for that in this day and age!!
>
> Does he know that in case he runs into problems and hits the M$ NGs,
> you're the one who helps him out ?
>
> <snip>
> > She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for
Quebec.
> > So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
> > regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!
>
> heheh, mais oui, they don't bother with the Anglais much outside of
> Montreal.
>

> Rick
>

> > Cheers...Heather

Related resources
May 8, 2005 4:04:31 AM

> Heather wrote:
> > Sigh!!
> >
> > Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a second
hard
> > drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20 minutes and then
> > crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with the upgrade in
February
> > (G)....which I am glad to hear.
>
> hmmph, amateurs... drop it off at the door along with some suitable
> edible offering.

Porque?? Or should that be "pourquoi", lol. It did the same sort of odd
stuff that it did when I upgraded......screen went into streaks of colour
and froze.....about a gazillion times in 24 hours.

> > He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem in
the
> > motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right.
>
> "software modems" are just that, though there's a basic hardware
> connection to plug in to the phone jack.

Meant nada to me. But OTOH, I may have not heard that right.

> <snip>
> > It was disappointing.....but he says that this computer is in pretty
darn
> > good shape for 4 years old, and also the fastest WinME he has ever seen.

> Does he know that in case he runs into problems and hits the M$ NGs,
> you're the one who helps him out ?

LOL.....yes, he knows. Seemed rather impressed that this little ole lady
was on the MS ng's. I told him to join in.

> <snip>
> > She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for
Quebec.
> > So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
> > regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!
>
> heheh, mais oui, they don't bother with the Anglais much outside of
> Montreal.

Quel dommage!! But I don't do too badly talking with my hands and fractured
french. I can read it just fine....my accent is atrocious. Heading for
Quebec City and the Charlevoix Region and then swinging back on the north
side. I recall many years ago that no one spoke English in the Trois
Rivieres area.....and Ron's Spanish won't help there. (VBG)

Cheers.....Figgs

> Rick
>

> > Cheers...Heather

May 8, 2005 4:08:14 AM

Puss orf, durned Texan!! I want to know who you were sle.......nah, can't
say that on a family group, lol. Must be nice to be loaded!!

What in heck will you do with 7 drives?? Boys and their toys!! I will just
have to go out and get a new computer now that I am the only one without XP.
And get it networked, printer and all.....chuckle.

XX Figgs
"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
> I got mine, Figglet......nyah, nyah, nah, nyaaaaaah, nyah. Not only
that,
> the end package will have 7 drives, yup, count 'em, 7!!!
> Heirloom, old and even I have XP <g>
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Heather wrote:
> > > Sigh!!
> > >
> > > Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a second
> hard
> > > drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20 minutes and then
> > > crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with the upgrade in
> February
> > > (G)....which I am glad to hear.
> >
> > hmmph, amateurs... drop it off at the door along with some suitable
> > edible offering.
> >

> > > Seems my motherboard is too old to support not only XP, but the
> installation
> > > of a second hard drive. He tried with an 80 gig, then a 40 and then a
> 20.
> > > I can't remember exactly all he told me, but he worked on it for a
long
> > > time.
> > >
> > > He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem in
> the
> > > motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right.
> >
> > "software modems" are just that, though there's a basic hardware
> > connection to plug in to the phone jack.
> >
> > <snip>
> > > It was disappointing.....but he says that this computer is in pretty
> darn
> > > good shape for 4 years old, and also the fastest WinME he has ever
seen.
> He
> > > was quite amazed at how *clean* it was.....I guess he gets a lot of
them
> > > with tons of cookies and *.tmp files, etc. Not to mention viruses.
Two
> > > people brought theirs in while I was there and they both had viruses.
> No
> > > excuse for that in this day and age!!
> >
> > Does he know that in case he runs into problems and hits the M$ NGs,
> > you're the one who helps him out ?
> >
> > <snip>
> > > She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for
> Quebec.
> > > So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
> > > regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!
> >
> > heheh, mais oui, they don't bother with the Anglais much outside of
> > Montreal.
> >

> > Rick
> >

> > > Cheers...Heather

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:29:44 PM

Oh dear. Sounds as if you have problems although to be honest I can't see
why or how any software modem should be causing you your problems. At
least you must feel vindicated.

Oh and well done in the lottery although perhaps a more useful prize would
have been useful but as you say, that's one Christmas present dealt with.
:-)

Cheers,

Mike

Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Sigh!!
>
> Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a
> second hard drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20
> minutes and then crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with
> the upgrade in February (G)....which I am glad to hear.
>
> Seems my motherboard is too old to support not only XP, but the
> installation of a second hard drive. He tried with an 80 gig, then a
> 40 and then a 20. I can't remember exactly all he told me, but he
> worked on it for a long time.
>
> He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem
> in the motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right. But the end
> result is that I will be using WinME until this computer fails
> me.....or Willy builds me a new one for a reasonable price. He
> picked up a problem starting with the hard drive (not bad sectors)
> and just told me to make sure I keep everything backed up.
>
> It was disappointing.....but he says that this computer is in pretty
> darn good shape for 4 years old, and also the fastest WinME he has
> ever seen. He was quite amazed at how *clean* it was.....I guess he
> gets a lot of them with tons of cookies and *.tmp files, etc. Not to
> mention viruses. Two people brought theirs in while I was there and
> they both had viruses. No excuse for that in this day and age!!
>
> And the best part is he didn't charge me one cent!! But I knew he
> was a good guy. Plus he let me sit and watch him trying to get rid
> of multi viruses on an XP computer and then finally did a reinstall
> of XP because it had an MBR virus. Interesting.....and I learned
> quite a bit from him.
>
> As I have always said......I am that one in a 100 where really strange
> things go wrong. And it doesn't seem to be changing, lol.
>
> So if I win more than I did in the last lottery, I will buy a new
> computer from him. I just won a $200 Bugatti leather backpack in one
> of the hospital lotteries....just what I need!! Elayne now has her
> first Xmas present!!
>
> She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for
> Quebec. So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the
> non-tourist regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!
>
> Cheers...Heather
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:51:53 PM

Please rerun the XP Upgrade Advisor on the problematic machine.
Examine the report closely for potential problems with any of the mainboard
system devices.

What is the mainboard, including version? The info is usually silkscreened
onto the board near the center.
And what does Belarc Advisor and/or Everest report about the m/b?

PS. I know you may be disgusted with this continued dilemma, but I am quite
curious.
If the m/b / BIOS is very old, then, for example, ...
"Hard Disk Limited to 8-GB Partition"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153550
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Sigh!!
>
> Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a second
hard
> drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20 minutes and then
> crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with the upgrade in February
> (G)....which I am glad to hear.
>
> Seems my motherboard is too old to support not only XP, but the
installation
> of a second hard drive. He tried with an 80 gig, then a 40 and then a 20.
> I can't remember exactly all he told me, but he worked on it for a long
> time.
>
> He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem in the
> motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right. But the end result is that
> will be using WinME until this computer fails me.....or Willy builds me a
> new one for a reasonable price. He picked up a problem starting with the
> hard drive (not bad sectors) and just told me to make sure I keep
everything
> backed up.
>
> It was disappointing.....but he says that this computer is in pretty darn
> good shape for 4 years old, and also the fastest WinME he has ever seen.
He
> was quite amazed at how *clean* it was.....I guess he gets a lot of them
> with tons of cookies and *.tmp files, etc. Not to mention viruses. Two
> people brought theirs in while I was there and they both had viruses. No
> excuse for that in this day and age!!
>
> And the best part is he didn't charge me one cent!! But I knew he was a
> good guy. Plus he let me sit and watch him trying to get rid of multi
> viruses on an XP computer and then finally did a reinstall of XP because
it
> had an MBR virus. Interesting.....and I learned quite a bit from him.
>
> As I have always said......I am that one in a 100 where really strange
> things go wrong. And it doesn't seem to be changing, lol.
>
> So if I win more than I did in the last lottery, I will buy a new computer
> from him. I just won a $200 Bugatti leather backpack in one of the
hospital
> lotteries....just what I need!! Elayne now has her first Xmas present!!
>
> She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for Quebec.
> So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
> regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!
>
> Cheers...Heather

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 2:43:15 PM

:-(( There is definately something out there that wants you to be the
only one without XP <g> who have you been upsetting.

Sorry to hear about your woes but just start saving those pennies and get
another win on the lottery and we'll get you there <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> Sigh!!
>
> Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a
> second hard drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20
> minutes and then crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with
> the upgrade in February (G)....which I am glad to hear.
>snip>
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 5:05:45 PM

On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:04:31 -0400, Heather wrote:

> Quel dommage!! But I don't do too badly talking with my hands and fractured
> french. I can read it just fine....my accent is atrocious. Heading for
> Quebec City and the Charlevoix Region and then swinging back on the north
> side. I recall many years ago that no one spoke English in the Trois
> Rivieres area.....and Ron's Spanish won't help there. (VBG)

The Francophones are such linguistic snobs. I bet they would invent French
words for 'tsunami' (Japanese), 'barbecue' (one of the Caribe indigenous
American languages), and so on.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

On Sat, 7 May 2005 21:27:07 -0400, Heather wrote:

> Sigh!!
>
> Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a second hard
> drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20 minutes and then
> crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with the upgrade in February
> (G)....which I am glad to hear.
>
> Seems my motherboard is too old to support not only XP, but the installation
> of a second hard drive. He tried with an 80 gig, then a 40 and then a 20.
> I can't remember exactly all he told me, but he worked on it for a long
> time.
>
> He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem in the
> motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right. But the end result is that I
> will be using WinME until this computer fails me.....

Having run the Windows XP advisor on my HP Pavilion 6745C w/ Windows ME
(purchased October 6, 2000), I have decided that prepping this box for
Windows XP is more trouble (doable, just not easily so) than it is worth.
I'd be traipsing all over the World Wide Web trying to find drivers and
software replacements. Easier to just build a new system up from scratch.
So I will be running Windows ME until I can afford a new computer.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
May 8, 2005 5:35:47 PM

Thanks, Mike. See my general reply to Noel as I am trying to sort this out
in my head. I am not all that familiar with hardware, but sure am learning.
And yes, it does answer why I couldn't upgrade. Willy got the same results
as I did.

As for the lotteries......damn, I plan on winning more than a lousy
backpack, grin!! But my luck with them is about the same as with computers,
grin!!

XX Heather

> Oh dear. Sounds as if you have problems although to be honest I can't see
> why or how any software modem should be causing you your problems. At
> least you must feel vindicated.
>
> Oh and well done in the lottery although perhaps a more useful prize would
> have been useful but as you say, that's one Christmas present dealt with.
> :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike
>

> Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Sigh!!
> >
> > Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a
> > second hard drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20
> > minutes and then crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with
> > the upgrade in February (G)....which I am glad to hear.
> >
> > Seems my motherboard is too old to support not only XP, but the
> > installation of a second hard drive. He tried with an 80 gig, then a
> > 40 and then a 20. I can't remember exactly all he told me, but he
> > worked on it for a long time.
> >
> > He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem
> > in the motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right. But the end
> > result is that I will be using WinME until this computer fails
> > me.....or Willy builds me a new one for a reasonable price. He
> > picked up a problem starting with the hard drive (not bad sectors)
> > and just told me to make sure I keep everything backed up.
> >
> > It was disappointing.....but he says that this computer is in pretty
> > darn good shape for 4 years old, and also the fastest WinME he has
> > ever seen. He was quite amazed at how *clean* it was.....I guess he
> > gets a lot of them with tons of cookies and *.tmp files, etc. Not to
> > mention viruses. Two people brought theirs in while I was there and
> > they both had viruses. No excuse for that in this day and age!!
> >
> > And the best part is he didn't charge me one cent!! But I knew he
> > was a good guy. Plus he let me sit and watch him trying to get rid
> > of multi viruses on an XP computer and then finally did a reinstall
> > of XP because it had an MBR virus. Interesting.....and I learned
> > quite a bit from him.
> >
> > As I have always said......I am that one in a 100 where really strange
> > things go wrong. And it doesn't seem to be changing, lol.
> >
> > So if I win more than I did in the last lottery, I will buy a new
> > computer from him. I just won a $200 Bugatti leather backpack in one
> > of the hospital lotteries....just what I need!! Elayne now has her
> > first Xmas present!!
> >
> > She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for
> > Quebec. So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the
> > non-tourist regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!
> >
> > Cheers...Heather

May 8, 2005 5:43:06 PM

Thanks, Jack. I will talk to Willy about this tomorrow. Nothing major
showed up in the Upgrade Advisor....Mike saw the report and it was just some
programs that had to be removed, basically. But I will run it again. Is
this the info you want?? (Belarc)

Processor......
1000 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board..........
Board: Acer Laboratories Inc. ALi 1631 1.0
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 62710 07/15/97

There is a 40 gig HD on here.....with 23 gig free. The only partition is 2
gig for the O/S.

Cheers......Heather

> [...]
> > viruses on an XP computer and then finally did a reinstall of XP because
> it
> > had an MBR virus. Interesting.....and I learned quite a bit from him.
> >
> > As I have always said......I am that one in a 100 where really strange
> > things go wrong. And it doesn't seem to be changing, lol.
> >
> > So if I win more than I did in the last lottery, I will buy a new
computer
> > from him. I just won a $200 Bugatti leather backpack in one of the
> hospital
> > lotteries....just what I need!! Elayne now has her first Xmas present!!
> >
> > She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for
Quebec.
> > So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
> > regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 6:39:54 PM

Heather wrote:
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Heather wrote:
>>
>>>Sigh!!
>>>
>>>Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a second
>
> hard
>
>>>drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20 minutes and then
>>>crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with the upgrade in
>
> February
>
>>>(G)....which I am glad to hear.
>>
>>hmmph, amateurs... drop it off at the door along with some suitable
>>edible offering.
>

> Porque?? Or should that be "pourquoi", lol. It did the same sort of odd
> stuff that it did when I upgraded......screen went into streaks of colour
> and froze.....about a gazillion times in 24 hours.

vid/card/monitor...NTx's habit of deciding it wants all the hardware on
one interrupt maybe.

>>>He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem in
>
> the
>
>>>motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right.
>>
>>"software modems" are just that, though there's a basic hardware
>>connection to plug in to the phone jack.
>

> Meant nada to me. But OTOH, I may have not heard that right.

If you got a phone jack on your MB it could be for a built-in HW or SW
modem; if you have a 810/815 there might be a modem-riser: a small card
slot (for which nobody actually made any cards for of course :/  )

>><snip>
>>
>>>It was disappointing.....but he says that this computer is in pretty
>
> darn
>
>>>good shape for 4 years old, and also the fastest WinME he has ever seen.
>

>>Does he know that in case he runs into problems and hits the M$ NGs,
>>you're the one who helps him out ?
>

> LOL.....yes, he knows. Seemed rather impressed that this little ole lady
> was on the MS ng's. I told him to join in.
>
>><snip>
>>
>>>She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for
>
> Quebec.
>
>>>So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
>>>regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!
>>
>>heheh, mais oui, they don't bother with the Anglais much outside of
>>Montreal.
>

> Quel dommage!! But I don't do too badly talking with my hands and fractured
> french. I can read it just fine....my accent is atrocious. Heading for
> Quebec City and the Charlevoix Region and then swinging back on the north
> side. I recall many years ago that no one spoke English in the Trois
> Rivieres area.....and Ron's Spanish won't help there. (VBG)

Only been up that way once; we were in Montreal and decided to go to
Ottawa... wrong turn... let me know if they've paved the highway yet.

Rick

> Cheers.....Figgs
>

>>Rick
>>

>>>Cheers...Heather

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 6:41:22 PM

Joan Archer wrote:
> :-(( There is definately something out there that wants you to be the
> only one without XP <g> who have you been upsetting.

<phht> I'm going back to WinME when I get around to it. Unless M$ wants
to send me a free XP copy... then I'll consider it.

Rick

> Sorry to hear about your woes but just start saving those pennies and get
> another win on the lottery and we'll get you there <g>
> Joan
>

> Heather wrote:
>
>>Sigh!!
>>
>>Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a
>>second hard drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20
>>minutes and then crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with
>>the upgrade in February (G)....which I am glad to hear.
>>snip>

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 7:18:06 PM

Jack
I've checked the reports for Figgs box every way from Sunday! - there's no
indication of anything amiss, except perhaps the BIOS, which dates from
2000.

With her situation, I doubt that the problem is soluble, except by
replacement of the Mobo - with everything that that implies

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> [...]
>> viruses on an XP computer and then finally did a reinstall of XP because
> it
>> had an MBR virus. Interesting.....and I learned quite a bit from him.
>>
>> As I have always said......I am that one in a 100 where really strange
>> things go wrong. And it doesn't seem to be changing, lol.
>>
>> So if I win more than I did in the last lottery, I will buy a new
>> computer
>> from him. I just won a $200 Bugatti leather backpack in one of the
> hospital
>> lotteries....just what I need!! Elayne now has her first Xmas present!!
>>
>> She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for
>> Quebec.
>> So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
>> regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 8:02:44 PM

heirloom wrote:
> I got mine, Figglet......nyah, nyah, nah, nyaaaaaah, nyah. Not only that,
> the end package will have 7 drives, yup, count 'em, 7!!!
> Heirloom, old and even I have XP <g>

Hey heirloom, what are you counting as drives? I am still adding
hardware to my old box including a new 400W pwr sup. 4 hard drives,
three optical drives and keeping my floppy and LS 120 on board.
Everything is working so far except for one abberation (hope I spelled
that right). Since I upped the pwr and made my new 7200 RPM drive
bootable, the boot goes so fast that my system does not see the drives
on the Promise controller. If I reboot before WindowsME starts to load
everything is found and accounted for. I wonder if there is some way to
slow the initial boot. I also have a new ATI Radeon 9550 (256MB DDR
memory} waiting for the XP update. I am taking it real slow to make sure
what I have works right before I change the OS. In my old mind,:-\ I am
still wrestling with the idea of an initial dual boot and using
slipstream for a final install of XP Home. Glad 8-) to hear you are
sailing along and sad :'(  to hear the Queen of the North is having so
many problems. I certainly hope all you converts to XP will be hanging
around the ME groups with your talent for hometown humor. I haven't seen
such comraderie (hope that's a word) in the xp groups.

sced13ri (slow but, still leaving tracks)

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Heather wrote:
>>
>>>Sigh!!
>>>
>>>Long story short, Willy ran into the same problems with XP on a second
>
> hard
>
>>>drive that I did with the upgrade. It was up for 20 minutes and then
>>>crashed repeatedly. So it wasn't user fault with the upgrade in
>
> February
>
>>>(G)....which I am glad to hear.
>>
>>hmmph, amateurs... drop it off at the door along with some suitable
>>edible offering.
>>

>>>Seems my motherboard is too old to support not only XP, but the
>
> installation
>
>>>of a second hard drive. He tried with an 80 gig, then a 40 and then a
>
> 20.
>
>>>I can't remember exactly all he told me, but he worked on it for a long
>>>time.
>>>
>>>He mentioned something about having a software (not hardware) modem in
>
> the
>
>>>motherboard?? Not sure if I have that right.
>>
>>"software modems" are just that, though there's a basic hardware
>>connection to plug in to the phone jack.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>It was disappointing.....but he says that this computer is in pretty
>
> darn
>
>>>good shape for 4 years old, and also the fastest WinME he has ever seen.
>
> He
>
>>>was quite amazed at how *clean* it was.....I guess he gets a lot of them
>>>with tons of cookies and *.tmp files, etc. Not to mention viruses. Two
>>>people brought theirs in while I was there and they both had viruses.
>
> No
>
>>>excuse for that in this day and age!!
>>
>>Does he know that in case he runs into problems and hits the M$ NGs,
>>you're the one who helps him out ?
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for
>
> Quebec.
>
>>>So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
>>>regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!
>>
>>heheh, mais oui, they don't bother with the Anglais much outside of
>>Montreal.
>>

>>Rick
>>

>>>Cheers...Heather

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 8:27:29 PM

That ME box of mine wasn't that new, it was only an 800 Intel Celeron, but
I put XP on there as a dual boot and it ran with no problems, which is why
I never thought she would have the problems she seems to have had <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Jack
> I've checked the reports for Figgs box every way from Sunday! -
> there's no indication of anything amiss, except perhaps the BIOS,
> which dates from 2000.
>
> With her situation, I doubt that the problem is soluble, except by
> replacement of the Mobo - with everything that that implies

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 9:44:32 PM

Please see my reply in the other part of this thread. I now know that both
Mike and Noel have labored for you about this XP installation failure, and I
doubt I can add anything else.

However, you wrote :
"There is a 40 gig HD on here.....with 23 gig free. The only partition is 2
gig for the O/S."

I do not understand you. You can't have a single partition of 2 GB on a 40
GB HD and have 23 GB's free.
If you are unsure about your disk status, run "fdisk /status" at a DOS
prompt and post the result here.

Furthermore, 2 GB for a WinME OS partition is quite low, IMO. I have
slightly greater than 2 GB of files on this WinME box and the swapfile has
been moved out of C:. Such a low partition size may well interfere with
defrag and SR, among other things. For a 40 GB HD, I suggest at least 4 GB
(up to 8) for the OS partition.
> [...]
> > > viruses on an XP computer and then finally did a reinstall of XP
because
> > it
> > > had an MBR virus. Interesting.....and I learned quite a bit from him.
> > >
> > > As I have always said......I am that one in a 100 where really strange
> > > things go wrong. And it doesn't seem to be changing, lol.
> > >
> > > So if I win more than I did in the last lottery, I will buy a new
> computer
> > > from him. I just won a $200 Bugatti leather backpack in one of the
> > hospital
> > > lotteries....just what I need!! Elayne now has her first Xmas
present!!

> > > She is off to Scotland on June 5th and we are leaving June 7th for
> Quebec.
> > > So lots to do before that time. As we are going into the non-tourist
> > > regions, I had better include brushing up on my French!!

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 10:55:52 PM

Hey sced!!!,
You are like an old sock that just keeps turning up in the
drawer....good to hear from you again!! I'm counting all the drives, I have
a combo card reader/floppy, CD-RW, 80G IDE (7200rpm, 8M cache) and am
adding, two more 80G SATA 150's in a RAID 0 and a 300G (16M cache) for the
backup. I guess you could count that as 8 drives since the combo card
reader is actually a USB/IDE device, just happen to be in the same
box...nice rig. My PS is only a 380w, I am hoping it will be
sufficient.....we shall see. Cooling may be a factor, but, there are two
120mm fans (one bringing in room air to the HD's...it has pretty little blue
led's on it, eye candy), a dedicated fan to the North Bridge memory
controller and a very large finned 80mm fan on the processor. My new drives
should arrive this coming week. My video card is an ATI, but, only a 64M.
I imagine yours uses a lot more power. My Me card is only a 32M, cause the
PS wasn't big enough to support anything bigger, <g>. No biggie, however,
my only 'game' is Combat Flight Sim and it handles that just fine.
As far as your boot speed, the only thing I can think of is maybe
you have the fast boot option checked in the BIOS. I know of nothing else
that would make a big difference. I do have my Me box set up to display the
Boot Menu for 3 seconds during boot.....I think I got the procedure from Jim
Eshelman's site. I found it comes in handy when you need to boot into Safe
Mode, etc. I don't believe this would impact your issue, but, it might.
----------------------------
Change the attributes for MSDOS.SYS so it is not 'Read Only', MSDOS.SYS is
found in the root directory of your C:\ drive. Open the file using Notepad
or another text editor (not Microsoft Word or any word processor).
Change the value of 'BootMenu=' to 'BootMenu=1' for enabled or 'BootMenu=0'
for disabled.

If the boot menu is enabled you can control how long it waits before
continuing to boot with the 'BootMenuDelay=' option. Set 'BootMenuDelay=' to
the amount of time to wait in seconds. i.e. 'BootMenuDelay=5' would wait 5
seconds before continuing to load Windows.

BootKeys must also be enabled for this option to function i.e. 'BootKeys=1'

Changes will take place on the next reboot.
------------------------------
Oh yeah, you guys aren't getting rid of me that easy.....I'll be
lurking around the Me group and helping when I can, even if it is just to
bring a smile to someone's face.....smiles are good. And, you are sure
right about the XP group!
I haven't been in there much and have had to 'tone down' just a tad so as
not to offend, :-). Have seen a bit of bickering there that is not usually
seen in here. This place is like a big family where everyone gets
along....the way it should be! And we have the best gurus in the
world.....there are no words to express how much gratitude and respect I
have for all of the MS-MVP's in here (and the ones that should qualify for
the title). Yep, I'll be hanging around, if for no other reason, just to
say 'hi' to all the friends I have made in here.....and not have to worry
about being OT, har.
Take care, my good man.........
Heirloom, old and even with a whole brain, still
a halfwit

"sced13ri" <sced13ri@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> heirloom wrote:
> > I got mine, Figglet......nyah, nyah, nah, nyaaaaaah, nyah. Not only
that,
> > the end package will have 7 drives, yup, count 'em, 7!!!
> > Heirloom, old and even I have XP <g>
>
> Hey heirloom, what are you counting as drives? I am still adding
> hardware to my old box including a new 400W pwr sup. 4 hard drives,
> three optical drives and keeping my floppy and LS 120 on board.
> Everything is working so far except for one abberation (hope I spelled
> that right). Since I upped the pwr and made my new 7200 RPM drive
> bootable, the boot goes so fast that my system does not see the drives
> on the Promise controller. If I reboot before WindowsME starts to load
> everything is found and accounted for. I wonder if there is some way to
> slow the initial boot. I also have a new ATI Radeon 9550 (256MB DDR
> memory} waiting for the XP update. I am taking it real slow to make sure
> what I have works right before I change the OS. In my old mind,:-\ I am
> still wrestling with the idea of an initial dual boot and using
> slipstream for a final install of XP Home. Glad 8-) to hear you are
> sailing along and sad :'(  to hear the Queen of the North is having so
> many problems. I certainly hope all you converts to XP will be hanging
> around the ME groups with your talent for hometown humor. I haven't seen
> such comraderie (hope that's a word) in the xp groups.
>
> sced13ri (slow but, still leaving tracks)
> >

> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> > hard

> > February

> >>hmmph, amateurs... drop it off at the door along with some suitable
> >>edible offering.

> > installation

> > 20.

> > the

> >>"software modems" are just that, though there's a basic hardware
> >>connection to plug in to the phone jack.
> >>
> >><snip>

> > darn

> > He

Two

> > No

> >>Does he know that in case he runs into problems and hits the M$ NGs,
> >>you're the one who helps him out ?
> >>
> >><snip>

> > Quebec.

> >>heheh, mais oui, they don't bother with the Anglais much outside of
> >>Montreal.
> >>

> >>Rick

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 10:59:13 PM

Too late, Norman........ Le beegwave and Le burnedmeat.
Heirloom, old and don't trust anyone that could eat a
snail

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:04:31 -0400, Heather wrote:
>
> > Quel dommage!! But I don't do too badly talking with my hands and
fractured
> > french. I can read it just fine....my accent is atrocious. Heading for
> > Quebec City and the Charlevoix Region and then swinging back on the
north
> > side. I recall many years ago that no one spoke English in the Trois
> > Rivieres area.....and Ron's Spanish won't help there. (VBG)
>
> The Francophones are such linguistic snobs. I bet they would invent French
> words for 'tsunami' (Japanese), 'barbecue' (one of the Caribe indigenous
> American languages), and so on.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:19:38 AM

<vbg> Don't worry we're still all here, much more fun <g>
Joan

sced13ri wrote:
I certainly hope all you converts to XP will
> be hanging around the ME groups with your talent for hometown humor.
> I haven't seen such comraderie (hope that's a word) in the xp groups.
>
> sced13ri (slow but, still leaving tracks)
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 4:03:54 AM

heirloom:

Thanks for the refresher. I have been into msdos.sys "Boot menu=" is
there, I don't see a line for "Boot keys=" or "Boot Menu Delay=" unless
of course they come up on the menu screen. Which is not enabled at this
time. I'll try some of the options tomorrow when my energy level
hopefully comes up a little higher. :-\

sced (not singing in the rain)

heirloom wrote:
> [...]
>>bootable, the boot goes so fast that my system does not see the drives
>>on the Promise controller. If I reboot before WindowsME starts to load
>>everything is found and accounted for. I wonder if there is some way to
>>slow the initial boot. I also have a new ATI Radeon 9550 (256MB DDR
>>memory} waiting for the XP update. I am taking it real slow to make sure
>>what I have works right before I change the OS. In my old mind,:-\ I am
>>still wrestling with the idea of an initial dual boot and using
>>slipstream for a final install of XP Home. Glad 8-) to hear you are
>>sailing along and sad :'(  to hear the Queen of the North is having so
>>many problems. I certainly hope all you converts to XP will be hanging
>>around the ME groups with your talent for hometown humor. I haven't seen
>>such comraderie (hope that's a word) in the xp groups.
>>
>>sced13ri (slow but, still leaving tracks)

May 9, 2005 4:13:51 AM

Clarification:
1.91 gig on Drive D for the OS, which has always been that size for 4 years.
14.9 gig of programs and data, etc. on Drive C
21.1 gig free on Drive C.

Forgot to mention the 14.9 gig that is in use. Sorry about that.

Trying to digest all of the info. And btw.....Willy did install XP on a
separate 80 gig HD.....it crashed after 20 minutes......and kept on
crashing. He tried a 40 gig, then a 20 gig HD....nothing would work. I was
planning on dual booting and it is still set up for that. But he says the
ancient motherboard will not support XP. Can't remember if he said why it
wouldn't accept the second HD. Probably the same thing.

Would updating the BIOS help any of the above problems?? Willy suggested
just running this for another year and then buy a new computer. And if this
one is still OK, then network them.

Thanks.....Heather

news:o D42fcBVFHA.3244@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > > Please rerun the XP Upgrade Advisor on the problematic machine.
> > > Examine the report closely for potential problems with any of the
> > mainboard
> > > system devices.
> > >
> > > What is the mainboard, including version? The info is usually
> > silkscreened
> > > onto the board near the center.
> > > And what does Belarc Advisor and/or Everest report about the m/b?
> > >
> > > PS. I know you may be disgusted with this continued dilemma, but I am
> > quite
> > > curious.
> > > If the m/b / BIOS is very old, then, for example, ...
> > > "Hard Disk Limited to 8-GB Partition"
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153550
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 12:08:34 PM

sced, review this ...
Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579

> heirloom:
>
> Thanks for the refresher. I have been into msdos.sys "Boot menu=" is
> there, I don't see a line for "Boot keys=" or "Boot Menu Delay=" unless
> of course they come up on the menu screen. Which is not enabled at this
> time. I'll try some of the options tomorrow when my energy level
> hopefully comes up a little higher. :-\
>
> sced (not singing in the rain)

<SNIP>
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 12:52:48 PM

Figgs, I still don't understand your situation with your HD. For any Win9X
OS to boot, it must be on the first primary partition of the first drive
holding the C: volume. That is not what I am understanding you to be
describing.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255867

Again, what does "fdisk /status" in a DOS box report about the
configuration?

Re: Willy's earlier effort ... IIUYC, he attempted to install XP in a dual
boot configuration, where two drives were present This may be the problem
if your original WinME drive volumes are unusual.
I am suggesting physically removing the current HD containing the WinME OS,
installing a clean new HD, creating a 8 GB NTFS partition at its head for
XP, and installing XP only to it to test the m/b's ability to support XP.
The XP setup CD can do all of this to a clean, unpartitioned, unformatted
HD, after booting to the CD. Whether the XP installation succeeds or not,
you can easily revert to WinME by uncabling the XP drive and recabling the
original WinME drive, assuming both are jumpered to be the Master drive.

BTW, you can do a similar, nearly identical installation for a "parallel"
WinME installation on another drive, for testing or migrating to a new
"clean" WinME installation. If you use a third-party boot manager to hide /
unhide partitions, your new installation could be on a new partition on the
original drive. Of course, this requires that you keep you launched
partitions clearly in mind, and it is certainly easier to use separate
drives to do so, avoiding any ambiguity.

OTH, An updated BIOS, either flashed or a chip replacement, may be all that
is needed to succeed.
Interesting problems, Figgs.
OTH, Dell will sell a 2.8 GHz, 533 FSB P4, 512 MB, XP Home box, with a 15
inch LCD and free shipping today for $449 plus tax. It won't Game, but it
will Google ... <bg>

news:o ZpEG2EVFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > ------
> > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Thanks, Jack. I will talk to Willy about this tomorrow. Nothing
major
> > > showed up in the Upgrade Advisor....Mike saw the report and it was
just
> > some
> > > programs that had to be removed, basically. But I will run it again.
> Is
> > > this the info you want?? (Belarc)
> > >
> > > Processor......
> > > 1000 megahertz Intel Pentium III
> > > 32 kilobyte primary memory cache
> > > 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
> > >
> > > Main Circuit Board..........
> > > Board: Acer Laboratories Inc. ALi 1631 1.0
> > > Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
> > > BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 62710 07/15/97
> > >
> > > There is a 40 gig HD on here.....with 23 gig free. The only partition

May 9, 2005 7:12:17 PM

Thanks, Jack. I will look into this later as I am rushing out. I guess I
didn't explain it properly. But will muse on it a bit.

Cheers...Heather

> [...]
> > 2
> > > gig for the O/S."
> > >
> > > I do not understand you. You can't have a single partition of 2 GB on
> > 40
> > > GB HD and have 23 GB's free.
> > > If you are unsure about your disk status, run "fdisk /status" at a DOS
> > > prompt and post the result here.
> > >
> > > Furthermore, 2 GB for a WinME OS partition is quite low, IMO. I have
> > > slightly greater than 2 GB of files on this WinME box and the swapfile
> has
> > > been moved out of C:. Such a low partition size may well interfere
with
> > > defrag and SR, among other things. For a 40 GB HD, I suggest at least
4
> > GB
> > > (up to 8) for the OS partition.
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:35:11 PM

Thanks Jack,

I see that most of the info refers to W95 and says boot delay is not
available in W98 so, usually what applies to W98 also applies to WME.
Please correct me if I am wrong. In any case, the delay I was looking
for has to be before reaching the "Starting Windows ME" message.
Surprisingly, today when I booted up all my drives were recognized
properly so I may have an intermittent glitch not necessarily a hardware
problem. There's nothing harder to find then something that doesn't
happen all the time. I will watch to see if it resolves itself.

sced

Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> sced, review this ...
> Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579

May 10, 2005 12:02:42 AM

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:04:31 -0400, Heather wrote:
>
> The Francophones are such linguistic snobs. I bet they would invent French
> words for 'tsunami' (Japanese), 'barbecue' (one of the Caribe indigenous
> American languages), and so on.

OK.....I give up. What in heck is a *Caribe indigenous American
language*??? As someone who does extensive Jamaican genealogical research
(UK also), it just doesn't compute!!

To get technical.....the Carib and Arawak Indians and language were wiped
out centuries ago. Indigenous would be *native*.....haven't bothered with a
dictionary here, so could be another meaning. And American doesn't fit coz
there were never Americans in early Jamaica....just British and Spanish.

Not to mention, Christopher Columbus never set foot in the continental US of
A. He landed in Hispaniola, then Jamaica and then Cuba. So he didn't
discover America. He missed it by a country mile (bad pun!!).

I believe you might be a tad closer with Amerigo Vespucci. OTOH, you might
have to cancel your annual Columbus day and tear down all the
statues.......LOL!!

Just thought I would be totally OT and also satisfy my curiosity.

Heather. 8-))

> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:04:39 AM

Apart from his post (probably) being a little tongue-in-cheek, the
Carribean is part of "The Americas", no ?

Heather wrote:
> "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:04:31 -0400, Heather wrote:
>>
>>The Francophones are such linguistic snobs. I bet they would invent French
>>words for 'tsunami' (Japanese), 'barbecue' (one of the Caribe indigenous
>>American languages), and so on.
>

> OK.....I give up. What in heck is a *Caribe indigenous American
> language*??? As someone who does extensive Jamaican genealogical research
> (UK also), it just doesn't compute!!
>
> To get technical.....the Carib and Arawak Indians and language were wiped
> out centuries ago. Indigenous would be *native*.....haven't bothered with a
> dictionary here, so could be another meaning. And American doesn't fit coz
> there were never Americans in early Jamaica....just British and Spanish.
>
> Not to mention, Christopher Columbus never set foot in the continental US of
> A. He landed in Hispaniola, then Jamaica and then Cuba. So he didn't
> discover America. He missed it by a country mile (bad pun!!).
>
> I believe you might be a tad closer with Amerigo Vespucci. OTOH, you might
> have to cancel your annual Columbus day and tear down all the
> statues.......LOL!!
>
> Just thought I would be totally OT and also satisfy my curiosity.
>
> Heather. 8-))
>
>>--
>>Norman
>>~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
>>~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
>>~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

May 10, 2005 4:00:30 AM

I was being a tad tongue in cheek as well, but Jamaica is not part of the
Americas to my way of thinking. Probably belongs to Scarboro. (VBG)

Just thought I would *rattle his cage*, grin.

Cheers....Figgs

news:o lR$yyQVFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Apart from his post (probably) being a little tongue-in-cheek, the
> Carribean is part of "The Americas", no ?
>

> Heather wrote:
> > "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:04:31 -0400, Heather wrote:
> >>
> >>The Francophones are such linguistic snobs. I bet they would invent
French
> >>words for 'tsunami' (Japanese), 'barbecue' (one of the Caribe indigenous
> >>American languages), and so on.
> >

> > OK.....I give up. What in heck is a *Caribe indigenous American
> > language*??? As someone who does extensive Jamaican genealogical
research
> > (UK also), it just doesn't compute!!
> >
> > To get technical.....the Carib and Arawak Indians and language were
wiped
> > out centuries ago. Indigenous would be *native*.....haven't bothered
with a
> > dictionary here, so could be another meaning. And American doesn't fit
coz
> > there were never Americans in early Jamaica....just British and Spanish.
> >
> > Not to mention, Christopher Columbus never set foot in the continental
US of
> > A. He landed in Hispaniola, then Jamaica and then Cuba. So he didn't
> > discover America. He missed it by a country mile (bad pun!!).
> >
> > I believe you might be a tad closer with Amerigo Vespucci. OTOH, you
might
> > have to cancel your annual Columbus day and tear down all the
> > statues.......LOL!!
> >
> > Just thought I would be totally OT and also satisfy my curiosity.
> >
> > Heather. 8-))
> >
> >>--
> >>Norman
> >>~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> >>~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> >>~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:31:33 AM

LOL, well, selected portions of Scarberia used to be considered Kingston
suburbs... which reminds me to visit the Carib take-out place just opened.

Rick

Heather wrote:
> I was being a tad tongue in cheek as well, but Jamaica is not part of the
> Americas to my way of thinking. Probably belongs to Scarboro. (VBG)
>
> Just thought I would *rattle his cage*, grin.
>
> Cheers....Figgs
>
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o lR$yyQVFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>Apart from his post (probably) being a little tongue-in-cheek, the
>>Carribean is part of "The Americas", no ?
>>

>>Heather wrote:
>>
>>>"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> French

>>>OK.....I give up. What in heck is a *Caribe indigenous American
>>>language*??? As someone who does extensive Jamaican genealogical
>
> research
>
>>>(UK also), it just doesn't compute!!
>>>
>>>To get technical.....the Carib and Arawak Indians and language were
>
> wiped
>
>>>out centuries ago. Indigenous would be *native*.....haven't bothered
>
> with a
>
>>>dictionary here, so could be another meaning. And American doesn't fit
>
> coz
>
>>>there were never Americans in early Jamaica....just British and Spanish.
>>>
>>>Not to mention, Christopher Columbus never set foot in the continental
>
> US of
>
>>>A. He landed in Hispaniola, then Jamaica and then Cuba. So he didn't
>>>discover America. He missed it by a country mile (bad pun!!).
>>>
>>>I believe you might be a tad closer with Amerigo Vespucci. OTOH, you
>
> might
>
>>>have to cancel your annual Columbus day and tear down all the
>>>statues.......LOL!!
>>>
>>>Just thought I would be totally OT and also satisfy my curiosity.
>>>
>>>Heather. 8-))

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:29:15 PM

Heather, if "fdisk /status" is still executing on your machine, you have a
very serious HD / IDE controller system problem ...

> [...]
> > > 14.9 gig of programs and data, etc. on Drive C
> > > 21.1 gig free on Drive C.
> > >
> > > Forgot to mention the 14.9 gig that is in use. Sorry about that.
> > >
> > > Trying to digest all of the info. And btw.....Willy did install XP on
> > > separate 80 gig HD.....it crashed after 20 minutes......and kept on
> > > crashing. He tried a 40 gig, then a 20 gig HD....nothing would work.
> > was
> > > planning on dual booting and it is still set up for that. But he says
> the
> > > ancient motherboard will not support XP. Can't remember if he said
why
> it
> > > wouldn't accept the second HD. Probably the same thing.
> > >
> > > Would updating the BIOS help any of the above problems?? Willy
> suggested
> > > just running this for another year and then buy a new computer. And

<SNIP>
May 11, 2005 4:24:51 PM

Ummm, I don't know what *fdisk /status* does nor have I tried it.

Cheers....Heather

news:o 6PaPXjVFHA.2692@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:45:37 AM