stmgr has caused an error in msvcrt.dll

I get this error popping up on my screen eveery so often, probably
more than once a day.

What does it mean and how can I fix it?

--
Paige Miller
pmiller5@rochester.rr.com

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

How long has this been happening? What changes or software upgrade did
you make to your system around the time this problem started?

Using Windows Explorer's Search look for all copies of the file msvcrt.dll
on your system and make a note of a) their location, b) their size and
date, and c) the version of each copy - do this by right clicking on each
copy, selecting Properties and checking the details on the Version tab.

You may want to post back details or move on to my next suggestion which
is to boot to Safe Mode and rename all copies of msvcrt.dll except the
copy in the windows\system folder to OldMsvcrt.dll. Now reboot back into
Normal Mode and see if these actions have solved the problem.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Paige Miller <pmiller5NOSPAM@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> I get this error popping up on my screen eveery so often, probably
> more than once a day.
>
> What does it mean and how can I fix it?

This would seem to be a rare error.

Please do a Search for all files named MSVCRT - how many are found, and
where?
What are their version numbers? (r-click on the file, and select Properties)
What is the version number of the C:\Windows\System\Restore\STMGR.exe file??

Try this
go to Start|Run
type

SCANREG /FIX

click OK - windows will reboot
see if that helps.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

On 5/8/2005 5:15 PM, Noel Paton wrote:
> This would seem to be a rare error.

Rare like an 1804 silver dollar? :)

> Please do a Search for all files named MSVCRT - how many are found, and
> where?

There were 20 such files, most in directories of software that I
installed such as Musicmatch.

Two in the c:\Windows subdirectories

> What are their version numbers? (r-click on the file, and select Properties)

c:\windows\system\msvcrt.dll version 6.1.8637.0
c:\windows\system\sfp\archive\msvcrt.dll version 6.1.8924.0

> What is the version number of the C:\Windows\System\Restore\STMGR.exe file??

c:\windows\system\restore\stmgr.exe version 4.90.0.2533

> Try this
> go to Start|Run
> type
>
> SCANREG /FIX
>
> click OK - windows will reboot
> see if that helps.

Tried that, don't know if it helps yet as this is an intermittent rare
(but usually daily) error. I will let you know.

Thanks for your help so far, if there's anything else you can tell me,
I would appreciate it. I'm off to Karaoke now (don't ask!)

--
Paige Miller
pmiller5@rochester.rr.com
http://paiges-page.net

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

May I suggest you now follow up my earlier post and rename all of the
msvcrt.dll files other than those in the two windows folders. Note the
copy in the windows\system\sfp folder was placed there by Win Me's System
File Protection mechanism when one of the applications you installed tried
to replace the copy in the windows\system folder with a copy that did not
have the necessary certificate to allow the upgrade to proceed.

Personally I do not believe that having run scanreg /restore will have had
any effect on the problem you are seeing although it may have tidied up
some parts of the registry.
--

On 5/8/2005 7:03 PM, Mike M wrote:
> May I suggest you now follow up my earlier post and rename all of the
> msvcrt.dll files other than those in the two windows folders. Note the
> copy in the windows\system\sfp folder was placed there by Win Me's
> System File Protection mechanism when one of the applications you
> installed tried to replace the copy in the windows\system folder with a
> copy that did not have the necessary certificate to allow the upgrade to
> proceed.
>
> Personally I do not believe that having run scanreg /restore will have
> had any effect on the problem you are seeing although it may have tidied
> up some parts of the registry.

Will try that later today when I have the time. Thanks!

Running scanreg didn't help.

--

On 5/8/2005 7:03 PM, Mike M wrote:
> May I suggest you now follow up my earlier post and rename all of the
> msvcrt.dll files other than those in the two windows folders. Note the
> copy in the windows\system\sfp folder was placed there by Win Me's
> System File Protection mechanism when one of the applications you
> installed tried to replace the copy in the windows\system folder with a
> copy that did not have the necessary certificate to allow the upgrade to
> proceed.
>
> Personally I do not believe that having run scanreg /restore will have
> had any effect on the problem you are seeing although it may have tidied
> up some parts of the registry.

Just to report back, I have had an unfortunately hectic week, in which
I had a trip to the emergency room and then my daughters graduation
from college. So I have not attempted to rename all of the msvcrt.dll
files.

The problem seems to have decreased in frequency, and now I get
perhaps 1 of these errors every few days rather than (approx) 1 every
4 hours. The only change I know that I have made was to re-install
MusicMatch Jukebox, which refused to load until I did the re-install.