windows start up problem even with EBD

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 9, 2005 11:40:48 PM

Hi

I could not start Windows Me normally or in safe mode so I used my EBD. I
used scandisk /restore but no previous registry entries were listed.

Is there any way back in plz? without re-installing ME

Thanks

Craig
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:40:49 PM

Craig,

What problems are you experiencing when you try to boot into Win Me -
either Normal Mode or Safe Mode. I'm a bit surprised that you have you
don't have any backed up copies of the registry which would normally
suggest that you have disabled/unchecked the scanregw entry in MSConfig |
Startup.

Depending on the problems you are having you may be able to use system
restore using the following method which requires you to boot to DOS using
your EBD and editing system.ini and replacing the line
shell=explorer.exe with one reading
shell=C:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe
Now remove the EBD and see if you can start Win and boot direct into
System Restore. For more details see KB 279736 "How to Start the System
Restore Tool from a Command Prompt"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=279736) which mentions using
progman.exe after which you can then locate and run rstrui.exe however
using rstrui.exe as above works equally well.

Failing that you will have to fall back on your backups.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Lago Jardin <lagojardin@terra.es> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I could not start Windows Me normally or in safe mode so I used my
> EBD. I used scandisk /restore but no previous registry entries were
> listed.
>
> Is there any way back in plz? without re-installing ME
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:27:32 AM

Hi Mike

Thanks for the very detailed reply. Its a friends computer and she assured
me that RESTORE or SCANREG was not disabled but I cannot be sure (I doubt
that she'd know how to do either!! but i can't be sure someone else hasn't
messed using MSCONFIG because I know she was always saying she had problems
using DEFRAG because of background progs running). On trying a normal start
up and Safe Mode start we just ended up with the "blue screen.." A normal
start up resulted in that and a reset start up ended it that after a
scandisk.
Everything was fine until she used her scanner yesterday and everything
froze. No problems using it before that. Thats why i went around with my ME
EBD because normally that does the trick whenever Ive seen that problem with
others before.Ive never seen "no registry backups" appear before with
scandisk /restore.

Thanks a lot and I will try ur suggestions. I'm really grateful for ur help.

Craig

> Craig,
>
> What problems are you experiencing when you try to boot into Win Me -
> either Normal Mode or Safe Mode. I'm a bit surprised that you have you
> don't have any backed up copies of the registry which would normally
> suggest that you have disabled/unchecked the scanregw entry in MSConfig |
> Startup.
>
> Depending on the problems you are having you may be able to use system
> restore using the following method which requires you to boot to DOS using
> your EBD and editing system.ini and replacing the line
> shell=explorer.exe with one reading
> shell=C:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe
> Now remove the EBD and see if you can start Win and boot direct into
> System Restore. For more details see KB 279736 "How to Start the System
> Restore Tool from a Command Prompt"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=279736) which mentions using
> progman.exe after which you can then locate and run rstrui.exe however
> using rstrui.exe as above works equally well.
>
> Failing that you will have to fall back on your backups.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
May 10, 2005 6:27:33 AM

Craig,

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you are able to launch into Win
Me's system restore after editing system.ini. If it doesn't work using
rstrui.exe then try using progman.exe and then browsing to rstrui.exe as
explained in KB279736.

Best of luck,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Lago Jardin <lagojardin@terra.es> wrote:

> Hi Mike
>
> Thanks for the very detailed reply. Its a friends computer and she
> assured me that RESTORE or SCANREG was not disabled but I cannot be
> sure (I doubt that she'd know how to do either!! but i can't be sure
> someone else hasn't messed using MSCONFIG because I know she was
> always saying she had problems using DEFRAG because of background
> progs running). On trying a normal start up and Safe Mode start we
> just ended up with the "blue screen.." A normal start up resulted in
> that and a reset start up ended it that after a scandisk.
> Everything was fine until she used her scanner yesterday and
> everything froze. No problems using it before that. Thats why i went
> around with my ME EBD because normally that does the trick whenever
> Ive seen that problem with others before.Ive never seen "no registry
> backups" appear before with scandisk /restore.
>
> Thanks a lot and I will try ur suggestions. I'm really grateful for
> ur help.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:31:07 PM

Hi Mike

I've just been around to my friend's and followed your instructions. Got
into the old program manager OK and found rstrui.exe but it would not run
(no error message). Tried to access it directly too by changing the shell=
path to it but still nothing happened. I can see the file tho. Also, I
checked start-up in Msconfig and scanregw was still enabled so I dont know
why there were not 5 restore points available to scanreg/ restore.
Is there anything else I can try? Is a repair possible to Explore without a
full re-install? If I have to re-install Windows Me she will have problems
(no backups not even ADSL setup info!!!).
If there is anything you can suggest then I would be grateful if not thanks
very much for your help to date and at least I have found out how to get to
Restore from DOS.

Regards

Craig

> Craig,
>
> I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you are able to launch into Win
> Me's system restore after editing system.ini. If it doesn't work using
> rstrui.exe then try using progman.exe and then browsing to rstrui.exe as
> explained in KB279736.
>
> Best of luck,
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Lago Jardin <lagojardin@terra.es> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike
> >
> > Thanks for the very detailed reply. Its a friends computer and she
> > assured me that RESTORE or SCANREG was not disabled but I cannot be
> > sure (I doubt that she'd know how to do either!! but i can't be sure
> > someone else hasn't messed using MSCONFIG because I know she was
> > always saying she had problems using DEFRAG because of background
> > progs running). On trying a normal start up and Safe Mode start we
> > just ended up with the "blue screen.." A normal start up resulted in
> > that and a reset start up ended it that after a scandisk.
> > Everything was fine until she used her scanner yesterday and
> > everything froze. No problems using it before that. Thats why i went
> > around with my ME EBD because normally that does the trick whenever
> > Ive seen that problem with others before.Ive never seen "no registry
> > backups" appear before with scandisk /restore.
> >
> > Thanks a lot and I will try ur suggestions. I'm really grateful for
> > ur help.

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:31:08 PM

Craig,

First, since you've confirmed that scanregw was not disabled in MSConfig |
Startup, look for any RB00?.CAB files in the Windows\Sysbckup folder. If
located, check their dates, and if recent then you should be able to
restore a copy of the registry even if you have to do this manually rather
than by using scanreg /restore. Similarly see if there are any RG cab
files in the C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE file as these also contain copies of the
registry and could be used if necessary.

I also find it interesting that you could start Win Me when using
progman.exe as the shell even though you can't when using explorer.exe.
This should at least give you an opportunity to backup as much data as you
can or need.

If you can't locate a usable RB or RG cab file then I feel you are going
to need to reinstall Win Me over itself. This should retain all installed
applications and configuration, etc. as well as user data but there are a
few things you need to do first before going that route. If you do decide
to reinstall Win Me then it is ESSENTIAL that you first uninstall Internet
Explorer 6, if installed, and rename the file wmploc.dll to wmploc.old if
you have Windows Media Player 9 installed. The reason being that if
WMP9's version of wmploc.dll is present during the reinstall setup will
throw up an error mentioning verx and if IE6 is present Internet Explorer
will become a total mess due to the reinstall attempting to install IE5.5.

You may also want to have a look at Rob McGregor's notes on reinstalling
Win Me which can be found on Noel Paton's site at
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Lago Jardin <lagojardin@terra.es> wrote:

> I've just been around to my friend's and followed your instructions.
> Got into the old program manager OK and found rstrui.exe but it would
> not run (no error message). Tried to access it directly too by
> changing the shell= path to it but still nothing happened. I can see
> the file tho. Also, I checked start-up in Msconfig and scanregw was
> still enabled so I dont know why there were not 5 restore points
> available to scanreg/ restore.
> Is there anything else I can try? Is a repair possible to Explore
> without a full re-install? If I have to re-install Windows Me she
> will have problems (no backups not even ADSL setup info!!!).
> If there is anything you can suggest then I would be grateful if not
> thanks very much for your help to date and at least I have found out
> how to get to Restore from DOS.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 11:07:56 PM

Mike

Thanks for the reply and I will go and try out ur suggestion tomorrow.
Just one question: if I find any useable RB or RG cab files, do I just open
them having switched to shell=progman.exe as before?

Thanks

Craig

> Craig,
>
> First, since you've confirmed that scanregw was not disabled in MSConfig |
> Startup, look for any RB00?.CAB files in the Windows\Sysbckup folder. If
> located, check their dates, and if recent then you should be able to
> restore a copy of the registry even if you have to do this manually rather
> than by using scanreg /restore. Similarly see if there are any RG cab
> files in the C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE file as these also contain copies of the
> registry and could be used if necessary.
>
> I also find it interesting that you could start Win Me when using
> progman.exe as the shell even though you can't when using explorer.exe.
> This should at least give you an opportunity to backup as much data as you
> can or need.
>
> If you can't locate a usable RB or RG cab file then I feel you are going
> to need to reinstall Win Me over itself. This should retain all installed
> applications and configuration, etc. as well as user data but there are a
> few things you need to do first before going that route. If you do decide
> to reinstall Win Me then it is ESSENTIAL that you first uninstall Internet
> Explorer 6, if installed, and rename the file wmploc.dll to wmploc.old if
> you have Windows Media Player 9 installed. The reason being that if
> WMP9's version of wmploc.dll is present during the reinstall setup will
> throw up an error mentioning verx and if IE6 is present Internet Explorer
> will become a total mess due to the reinstall attempting to install IE5.5.
>
> You may also want to have a look at Rob McGregor's notes on reinstalling
> Win Me which can be found on Noel Paton's site at
> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Lago Jardin <lagojardin@terra.es> wrote:
>
> > I've just been around to my friend's and followed your instructions.
> > Got into the old program manager OK and found rstrui.exe but it would
> > not run (no error message). Tried to access it directly too by
> > changing the shell= path to it but still nothing happened. I can see
> > the file tho. Also, I checked start-up in Msconfig and scanregw was
> > still enabled so I dont know why there were not 5 restore points
> > available to scanreg/ restore.
> > Is there anything else I can try? Is a repair possible to Explore
> > without a full re-install? If I have to re-install Windows Me she
> > will have problems (no backups not even ADSL setup info!!!).
> > If there is anything you can suggest then I would be grateful if not
> > thanks very much for your help to date and at least I have found out
> > how to get to Restore from DOS.

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 11:07:57 PM

Craig,

If, you can find a recent RG or RB cab file (note though that those in the
C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE folder will be by default hidden and you may have to
use the ATTRIB command from a DOS prompt to change the attribute [see
below]) you then need to extract the three DAT files in the CAB (user.dat,
classes.dat and system.dat) and replace the files with the same name in
the windows folder with the new files. This is best all done from DOS.

So, having located a suitable RG or RB cab file to use:
Boot to DOS using a Win Me boot floppy (EBD), select either option 2 or 3,
then,
If you are extracting from an RB cab, type
EXTRACT /L C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP\RB00?.CAB *.DAT
where RB00?.CAB is replaced by the name of the cab file you are using,
or,
if you are extracting from an RG cab, type
ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE
ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\RG*.CAB
EXTRACT /L C:\WINDOWS C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\RG*.CAB *.DAT
where RG*.CAB is replaced by the name of the cab file you are using.

Note I have exaggerated spaces, just one is required at each location, but
are essential.

The first two ATTRIB lines are probably unnecessary but included for
completeness. These two lines would, however, allow you to see the
contents of the _restore\archive folder using DIR from a DOS prompt.

Best of luck,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Lago Jardin <lagojardin@terra.es> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply and I will go and try out ur suggestion tomorrow.
> Just one question: if I find any useable RB or RG cab files, do I
> just open them having switched to shell=progman.exe as before?
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:33:23 PM

Mike

I have been to my friends and there were no RB files so I took the RG file
route and found the .CAB files. Using a recently created one I EXTRACTED it
and yes!! success! The computer rebooted in to ME and the virus checker
picked up a WORM which may have caused the original problem. Indeed it may
have "deleted" the 5 normal scanreg /restore points. I checked that a new
one was created today.

So a big than you from me and my friend Diana, I even got a kiss!!!

I hope this thread will be useful to others and I have kept the print-outs
of your postings for future use.

Kind regards

Craig

> Craig,
>
> If, you can find a recent RG or RB cab file (note though that those in the
> C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE folder will be by default hidden and you may have to
> use the ATTRIB command from a DOS prompt to change the attribute [see
> below]) you then need to extract the three DAT files in the CAB (user.dat,
> classes.dat and system.dat) and replace the files with the same name in
> the windows folder with the new files. This is best all done from DOS.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:36:28 PM

I thought using an RG cab file to get a recent copy of the registry when
there were no RB cabs to be found a good one too! <g> Even better that it
worked and the system back up and running. :-)
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Nice one, Mike!
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 12:31:28 PM

This work is very impressive, Lago and Mike.
I am sitting here shaking my head over the good luck involved.
A real story of patience and persistence, and intimate knowlwdge of SR, to
be sure.
And another excellent reason to be using WinME / System Restore!

Very nicely done. Elegant!
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------