Script detection of Safe Mode

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

NT Based OS' create an Environmental variable "Safeboot_Option" when booted into Safe Mode.

What can be used in a script to detect Safe Mode under Win9x/ME ?

I am asking in Win98 and WinME General NGs because I am hoping someone with specific OS
knowledge may have an answer or pointers to find an answer.

TIA
--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    What are you actually trying to do? - one part of your post leads me to
    think that you're trying to force a programmatic reboot into Safe Mode, and
    the other seems to ask how you know when you're there!

    Please restate your question.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > NT Based OS' create an Environmental variable "Safeboot_Option" when
    > booted into Safe Mode.
    >
    > What can be used in a script to detect Safe Mode under Win9x/ME ?
    >
    > I am asking in Win98 and WinME General NGs because I am hoping someone
    > with specific OS
    > knowledge may have an answer or pointers to find an answer.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>

    | What are you actually trying to do? - one part of your post leads me to
    | think that you're trying to force a programmatic reboot into Safe Mode, and
    | the other seems to ask how you know when you're there!
    |
    | Please restate your question.
    |
    | --
    | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Actually Noel, both. ;-)

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    There were two?? - shows how confused I was!

    --

    > From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>
    >
    > | What are you actually trying to do? - one part of your post leads me to
    > | think that you're trying to force a programmatic reboot into Safe Mode,
    > and
    > | the other seems to ask how you know when you're there!
    > |
    > | Please restate your question.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Actually Noel, both. ;-)
    >

    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>

    | There were two?? - shows how confused I was!
    |
    | --
    | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    No, the question was just programmatically detecting safe mode under Win9x/ME.

    However, it just so happens I am /*also*/ interested in "...trying to force a programmatic
    reboot into Safe Mode...".

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>
    >
    > | What are you actually trying to do? - one part of your post leads me to
    > | think that you're trying to force a programmatic reboot into Safe Mode, and
    > | the other seems to ask how you know when you're there!
    > |
    > | Please restate your question.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Actually Noel, both. ;-)

    Don't ask for much, do ya...

    to force a "programmatic" reboot into SafeMode you have to change the
    Registry key controlled by MSConfig.exe's "next boot in Safe Mode" switch.

    You can use the same key to test if you're in Safe Mode (unless it's a
    "do once"; if it is, put an itty bitty .reg file to change it to some
    arbitray setting in your Normal Startup)... or you could check the
    "current video mode".

    Rick
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    In Safe Mode, the win32 drivers for the HD controllers are not loaded,
    forcing "DOS compatibility mode".
    Determine how to detect this condition.
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>
    >
    > | There were two?? - shows how confused I was!
    > |
    > | --
    > | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > No, the question was just programmatically detecting safe mode under
    Win9x/ME.

    > However, it just so happens I am /*also*/ interested in "...trying to
    force a programmatic
    > reboot into Safe Mode...".
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com>

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>
    >>
    |>> What are you actually trying to do? - one part of your post leads me to
    |>> think that you're trying to force a programmatic reboot into Safe Mode, and
    |>> the other seems to ask how you know when you're there!
    |>>
    |>> Please restate your question.
    |>>
    |>> --
    |>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Actually Noel, both. ;-)
    >>
    | Don't ask for much, do ya...
    |
    | to force a "programmatic" reboot into SafeMode you have to change the
    | Registry key controlled by MSConfig.exe's "next boot in Safe Mode" switch.
    |
    | You can use the same key to test if you're in Safe Mode (unless it's a
    | "do once"; if it is, put an itty bitty .reg file to change it to some
    | arbitray setting in your Normal Startup)... or you could check the
    | "current video mode".
    |
    | Rick

    OK, what are the Registry keys ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    But doesn't the display tell you that you are in Safe Mode (Each corner of
    the screen)?

    Seems a lot of trouble to confirm the obvious <g>

    Mart

    > In Safe Mode, the win32 drivers for the HD controllers are not loaded,
    > forcing "DOS compatibility mode".
    > Determine how to detect this condition.
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    >> From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>
    >>
    >> | There were two?? - shows how confused I was!
    >> |
    >> | --
    >> | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> No, the question was just programmatically detecting safe mode under
    > Win9x/ME.
    >>
    >> However, it just so happens I am /*also*/ interested in "...trying to
    > force a programmatic
    >> reboot into Safe Mode...".
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave
    >> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    >> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam>

    | But doesn't the display tell you that you are in Safe Mode (Each corner of
    | the screen)?
    |
    | Seems a lot of trouble to confirm the obvious <g>
    |
    | Mart

    From a human screen reading POV, its obvious. But not from a script running under the OS.

    That is what I need to know. It had been suggested...

    On Error Resume Next
    arrComputers = Array("COMP1","COMP2")
    For Each strComputer In arrComputers
    WScript.Echo "Computer: " & strComputer
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
    Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem", "WQL",&h30)
    For Each objItem In colItems
    WScript.Echo "BootupState: " & objItem.BootupState
    Next
    Next

    However, Win9x/ME doesn't support Win32_ComputerSystem and there is no guarantee in Win98
    that WMI is installed. Note that the above language is not being used. I am using Kixtart
    interpreter but the above COM object can be implemented in Kixtart.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    David, I can't help you further, except to suggest posting in one of the
    ....Windows programmer or developer ng's, or better, in a TechNet
    programmer's forum.
    I suspect this is a trivial problem to those in the know ...

    I also suspect that you have Googled the question without success ...

    If all else fails, use my name and speak directly to MVP Doug Knox, who is a
    scripting fool. He is a wonderful guy, and truly a Windows guru.
    I suspect he, and/or his good friend, MVP Bill James, another who dreams in
    vb script, will know the solution.

    Doug's Windows Tweaks and Tips
    http://www.dougknox.com
    > From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam>
    >
    > | But doesn't the display tell you that you are in Safe Mode (Each corner
    of
    > | the screen)?
    > |
    > | Seems a lot of trouble to confirm the obvious <g>
    > |
    > | Mart
    >
    > From a human screen reading POV, its obvious. But not from a script
    running under the OS.

    > That is what I need to know. It had been suggested...
    >
    > On Error Resume Next
    > arrComputers = Array("COMP1","COMP2")
    > For Each strComputer In arrComputers
    > WScript.Echo "Computer: " & strComputer
    > Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer &
    "\root\CIMV2")
    > Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM
    Win32_ComputerSystem", "WQL",&h30)
    > For Each objItem In colItems
    > WScript.Echo "BootupState: " & objItem.BootupState
    > Next
    > Next
    >

    > However, Win9x/ME doesn't support Win32_ComputerSystem and there is no
    guarantee in Win98
    > that WMI is installed. Note that the above language is not being used. I
    am using Kixtart
    > interpreter but the above COM object can be implemented in Kixtart.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net>

    | David, I can't help you further, except to suggest posting in one of the
    | ...Windows programmer or developer ng's, or better, in a TechNet
    | programmer's forum.
    | I suspect this is a trivial problem to those in the know ...
    |
    | I also suspect that you have Googled the question without success ...
    |
    | If all else fails, use my name and speak directly to MVP Doug Knox, who is a
    | scripting fool. He is a wonderful guy, and truly a Windows guru.
    | I suspect he, and/or his good friend, MVP Bill James, another who dreams in
    | vb script, will know the solution.
    |
    | Doug's Windows Tweaks and Tips
    | http://www.dougknox.com
    | --
    | Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    | Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    | In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    | http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    | Your cooperation is very appreciated.

    Thanx Jack for your suggestions.

    I have consulted with one of the *best* scripters, Torgeir Bakken.
    I have also received the WMI/COM information from Jim Vierra in the Server Scripting NG.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Well, you are very far ahead of me, indeed. When/if you learn the answer, I
    would be very happy to hear it.
    > From: "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net>
    >
    > | David, I can't help you further, except to suggest posting in one of
    the
    > | ...Windows programmer or developer ng's, or better, in a TechNet
    > | programmer's forum.
    > | I suspect this is a trivial problem to those in the know ...
    > |
    > | I also suspect that you have Googled the question without success ...
    > |
    > | If all else fails, use my name and speak directly to MVP Doug Knox, who
    is a
    > | scripting fool. He is a wonderful guy, and truly a Windows guru.
    > | I suspect he, and/or his good friend, MVP Bill James, another who dreams
    in
    > | vb script, will know the solution.
    > |
    > | Doug's Windows Tweaks and Tips
    > | http://www.dougknox.com
    > | --
    > | Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > | Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > | In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > | http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > | Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >
    > Thanx Jack for your suggestions.
    >
    > I have consulted with one of the *best* scripters, Torgeir Bakken.
    > I have also received the WMI/COM information from Jim Vierra in the Server
    Scripting NG.

    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net>

    | Well, you are very far ahead of me, indeed. When/if you learn the answer, I
    | would be very happy to hear it.
    | --
    | Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    | Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    | In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    | http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    | Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    | ------

    I was at Doug Knox's web site and submitted a form based email to him.

    When/If I have an answer, I will definitely update this thread.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com>
    >
    > | David H. Lipman wrote:
    >
    >>>From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>

    >>>Actually Noel, both. ;-)
    >>>

    > | Don't ask for much, do ya...
    > |
    > | to force a "programmatic" reboot into SafeMode you have to change the
    > | Registry key controlled by MSConfig.exe's "next boot in Safe Mode" switch.
    > |
    > | You can use the same key to test if you're in Safe Mode (unless it's a
    > | "do once"; if it is, put an itty bitty .reg file to change it to some
    > | arbitray setting in your Normal Startup)... or you could check the
    > | "current video mode".
    > |
    > | Rick
    >
    > OK, what are the Registry keys ?

    Hey, I'm not doing *all* your homework for you

    <g>

    (I'm running Win2K at the moment, no way of checking right here, *but*
    I'd use a registry and/or file monitor to check what gets changed when I
    flick the "run in Safe Mode on next boot" in MSConfig... *that's* the
    switch to play with to force Safe Mode)

    Rick
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com>

    | Hey, I'm not doing *all* your homework for you
    |
    | <g>
    |
    | (I'm running Win2K at the moment, no way of checking right here, *but*
    | I'd use a registry and/or file monitor to check what gets changed when I
    | flick the "run in Safe Mode on next boot" in MSConfig... *that's* the
    | switch to play with to force Safe Mode)
    |
    | Rick

    Believe me, I am researching it ! ;-)

    I have the book...
    The Windows 98 Registry: A Survival Guide for Users, John Woram, 1999, MIS Press

    Nothing !

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Sorry David - it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek <g> - but not being fluent
    in 'script', I can't offer a further solution. However, as has been implied
    elsewhere, there must be some flag or other, which you could latch onto, to
    determine a Safe vs.Normal Mode state.

    Mart

    > From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam>
    >
    > | But doesn't the display tell you that you are in Safe Mode (Each corner
    > of
    > | the screen)?
    > |
    > | Seems a lot of trouble to confirm the obvious <g>
    > |
    > | Mart
    >
    > From a human screen reading POV, its obvious. But not from a script
    > running under the OS.
    >
    > That is what I need to know. It had been suggested...
    >
    > On Error Resume Next
    > arrComputers = Array("COMP1","COMP2")
    > For Each strComputer In arrComputers
    > WScript.Echo "Computer: " & strComputer
    > Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer &
    > "\root\CIMV2")
    > Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM
    > Win32_ComputerSystem", "WQL",&h30)
    > For Each objItem In colItems
    > WScript.Echo "BootupState: " & objItem.BootupState
    > Next
    > Next
    >

    > However, Win9x/ME doesn't support Win32_ComputerSystem and there is no
    > guarantee in Win98
    > that WMI is installed. Note that the above language is not being used. I
    > am using Kixtart
    > interpreter but the above COM object can be implemented in Kixtart.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Where's the Run in Safe Mode in MSConfig in Win Me or 98SE? NT based
    systems have such an option on the Boot.ini tab but I'm not aware that 9x
    systems have such an option but could well be mistaken although I think it
    can be forced using msdos.sys. Are you perhaps thinking of the option to
    display the Start Menu at bootup from which one can select to start in
    Safe Mode?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > Hey, I'm not doing *all* your homework for you
    >
    > <g>
    >
    > (I'm running Win2K at the moment, no way of checking right here, *but*
    > I'd use a registry and/or file monitor to check what gets changed
    > when I flick the "run in Safe Mode on next boot" in MSConfig...
    > *that's* the switch to play with to force Safe Mode)
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike M wrote:
    > Where's the Run in Safe Mode in MSConfig in Win Me or 98SE? NT based
    > systems have such an option on the Boot.ini tab but I'm not aware that
    > 9x systems have such an option but could well be mistaken although I
    > think it can be forced using msdos.sys. Are you perhaps thinking of the
    > option to display the Start Menu at bootup from which one can select to
    > start in Safe Mode?

    Hmm... using Win2K's warped my mind (or my memory anways) a bit,
    apparently; I think that's what I was referring to.

    As you say, though, there does appear to be an MSDOS.SYS entry in [options]:

    BootFailSafe=1

    Rick
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>

    To all, thanx for your assistance. While I have NOT reached the point of forcing a boot
    into Safe Mode, I have resolved determining the boot state under Win9x/ME.

    The following Kixtart script works.

    Dim $objWMIService
    $objWMIService=GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\CIMV2").ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM
    Win32_ComputerSystem", "WQL",48)

    For Each $obj In $objWMIService
    ? "BootupState: " +$obj.BootupState
    Next

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Since that book came out before even the Beta of ME, I suspect that you may
    be SOL for what you're looking for!
    :(

    --

    > From: "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com>
    >

    > | Hey, I'm not doing *all* your homework for you
    > |
    > | <g>
    > |
    > | (I'm running Win2K at the moment, no way of checking right here, *but*
    > | I'd use a registry and/or file monitor to check what gets changed when I
    > | flick the "run in Safe Mode on next boot" in MSConfig... *that's* the
    > | switch to play with to force Safe Mode)
    > |
    > | Rick
    >
    > Believe me, I am researching it ! ;-)
    >
    > I have the book...
    > The Windows 98 Registry: A Survival Guide for Users, John Woram, 1999,
    > MIS Press
    >
    > Nothing !
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I have a note from Doug Knox reporting his contact with you and your
    progress toward a possible, partial solution.
    I'll await your further report.

    The very best part of this thread, IMHO, is your meeting Doug, who is one of
    my favorite people, despite being so very sharp!
    > From: "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net>
    >
    > | Well, you are very far ahead of me, indeed. When/if you learn the
    answer, I
    > | would be very happy to hear it.
    > | --
    > | Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > | Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > | In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > | http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > | Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > | ------
    >
    > I was at Doug Knox's web site and submitted a form based email to him.
    >
    > When/If I have an answer, I will definitely update this thread.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579

    The [Options] section can contain the following settings. You must manually
    insert these settings if you want to use them:
    BootSafe=Boolean
    Default: 0
    Purpose: A setting of 1 forces your computer to boot in Safe mode.
    ---

    The WinME msconfig utility has only the option to enable the Startup Menu at
    boot, i.e., no provision to boot to Safe Mode directly.

    > Mike M wrote:
    > > Where's the Run in Safe Mode in MSConfig in Win Me or 98SE? NT based
    > > systems have such an option on the Boot.ini tab but I'm not aware that
    > > 9x systems have such an option but could well be mistaken although I
    > > think it can be forced using msdos.sys. Are you perhaps thinking of the
    > > option to display the Start Menu at bootup from which one can select to
    > > start in Safe Mode?
    >
    > Hmm... using Win2K's warped my mind (or my memory anways) a bit,
    > apparently; I think that's what I was referring to.
    >
    > As you say, though, there does appear to be an MSDOS.SYS entry in
    [options]:

    > BootFailSafe=1
    >

    > Rick
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Kudos, David.

    May I suggest that if you have no other place to publically archive the
    result, speak to Noel about doing so at his WinME site.
    Ditto to Jim Eshelman.

    (What did I say about Doug Knox? .. <bg>)

    And see the other post here about the option to edit msdos.sys to force a
    boot to Safe Mode at restart:
    > From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>
    >
    > To all, thanx for your assistance. While I have NOT reached the point of
    forcing a boot
    > into Safe Mode, I have resolved determining the boot state under Win9x/ME.
    >
    > The following Kixtart script works.
    >
    > Dim $objWMIService
    > $objWMIService=GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\CIMV2").ExecQuery("SELECT *
    FROM
    > Win32_ComputerSystem", "WQL",48)
    >
    > For Each $obj In $objWMIService
    > ? "BootupState: " +$obj.BootupState
    > Next
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    > Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579
    >
    > The [Options] section can contain the following settings. You must manually
    > insert these settings if you want to use them:
    > BootSafe=Boolean
    > Default: 0
    > Purpose: A setting of 1 forces your computer to boot in Safe mode.
    > ---
    >
    > The WinME msconfig utility has only the option to enable the Startup Menu at
    > boot, i.e., no provision to boot to Safe Mode directly.

    thanks, Jack, I realized my error concerning msconfig from your last
    post (though it probably didn't look like it)

    Rick
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net>

    | Kudos, David.
    |
    | May I suggest that if you have no other place to publically archive the
    | result, speak to Noel about doing so at his WinME site.
    | Ditto to Jim Eshelman.
    |
    | (What did I say about Doug Knox? .. <bg>)
    |
    | And see the other post here about the option to edit msdos.sys to force a
    | boot to Safe Mode at restart:
    | BootSafe=Boolean
    | Default: 0
    | Purpose: A setting of 1 forces your computer to boot in Safe mode.
    | --
    | Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

    Duly noted Jack -- Thank You !

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Rick, I hardly viewed your post as an error, requiring correction, but a
    useful pointer to the correct answer, which I was prepared to research
    further, as I keep a printed copy of KB118579 by my monitor since I use it
    so much.
    All kudos belong to you here!
    > Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    > > Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579
    > >
    > > The [Options] section can contain the following settings. You must
    manually
    > > insert these settings if you want to use them:
    > > BootSafe=Boolean
    > > Default: 0
    > > Purpose: A setting of 1 forces your computer to boot in Safe mode.
    > > ---
    > >
    > > The WinME msconfig utility has only the option to enable the Startup
    Menu at
    > > boot, i.e., no provision to boot to Safe Mode directly.
    > >

    > thanks, Jack, I realized my error concerning msconfig from your last
    > post (though it probably didn't look like it)
    >
    > Rick

Detection Safe Mode Microsoft Windows