Problems after System Restore

I posted this by mistake on the 98 ng, and got one good
reply. I'm reposting here because this is the correct
forum.
Yesteday, for some reason, my computer (ME) went kaput,
and I couldn't
boot even in Safe Mode. I used a boot disk for system
restore, and the
date given was in June 2004. I was able to boot up then,
but Norton
wasn't able to be activated. The system trail had
nothing, and I got
the mouse and sound in it manually. I checked "msconfig"
and it had
"Selected Start-up" but had everything I needed. I had
downloaded Jin
for start up, so I clicked on "general start-up."
However, it did not
take and every time I rebooted, the run did not
read "msconfig" but
"inetwiz," which I needed to get back on my Comcast cable
internet.

Taking the advice from this group, I downloaded the AVG
virus detector,
and will remove Norton. However, my problem now is that I
can't get
systray to load properly. I removed "jin" so I really
need that
website again. I removed it because it was unable to
work. JavaScript
is not working, and I got this message: Unable to locate
registry
hkey_local-machine\software\Ja­va Script\Java Plug-
In\1.4.2.06. I tried
typing in that key in the registry, but it would not take
due to
unacceptable symbols.

My Outlook Express went to ground zero and I've lost all
my contacts,
also. Every download I did since June 04 is on my
computer, just that
they don't work, including WinZip.

Any suggestions?
20 answers Last reply
More about problems system restore

    First off - NO-ONE in this group would have advised you to use System
    Restore to go back 11 months!!
    The most that should normally be considered is about 2 WEEKS!!

    The reason that you have lost many of your programs is very simple - they
    have been uninstalled by your recklessness.

    System Restore does exactly what it's told to do - and you told it to
    restore not only the registry, but also the programs installed correctly, to
    a date which is, IMHO, totally without precedent!!
    Were there no later dates? - if so, why did you not use them?? If not, why
    did you not query the situation at that point??

    SR, when functioning properly, creates a Restore Point every 10 hours of
    system uptime - or every 24hours real-time.(assuming that the system is idle
    for a few minutes).

    <rant over>

    Where to go now? If you can't undo the Restore (and I suspect that that will
    be the case), you have to Uninstall Norton software completely - it will
    otherwise complain bitterly at every move you make (especially at boot).

    If you're lucky enough to be able to undo the Restore, then do so, and post
    back with the EXACT symptoms of your problems as they exist then,

    Either way, we will need a LOT of detail as to error messages, and your
    actions at the time of the messages, to be able to cure the problems.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Irving Rosenfeld" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I posted this by mistake on the 98 ng, and got one good
    reply. I'm reposting here because this is the correct
    forum.
    Yesteday, for some reason, my computer (ME) went kaput,
    and I couldn't
    boot even in Safe Mode. I used a boot disk for system
    restore, and the
    date given was in June 2004. I was able to boot up then,
    but Norton
    wasn't able to be activated. The system trail had
    nothing, and I got
    the mouse and sound in it manually. I checked "msconfig"
    and it had
    "Selected Start-up" but had everything I needed. I had
    downloaded Jin
    for start up, so I clicked on "general start-up."
    However, it did not
    take and every time I rebooted, the run did not
    read "msconfig" but
    "inetwiz," which I needed to get back on my Comcast cable
    internet.

    Taking the advice from this group, I downloaded the AVG
    virus detector,
    and will remove Norton. However, my problem now is that I
    can't get
    systray to load properly. I removed "jin" so I really
    need that
    website again. I removed it because it was unable to
    work. JavaScript
    is not working, and I got this message: Unable to locate
    registry
    hkey_local-machine\software\Ja­va Script\Java Plug-
    In\1.4.2.06. I tried
    typing in that key in the registry, but it would not take
    due to
    unacceptable symbols.

    My Outlook Express went to ground zero and I've lost all
    my contacts,
    also. Every download I did since June 04 is on my
    computer, just that
    they don't work, including WinZip.

    Any suggestions?

    > date given was in June 2004

    If you restored to a checkpoint nearly a year old you are bound to be
    seeing problems although you would see them whatever date you returned to
    if you have the NAV virus on your system.

    System Restore will not have touched your address book or your message
    store as it has no interest in files with a wab or dbx extension in the
    same way that system restore doesn't monitor changes to other data files
    such as those with doc, xls, ppt, jpg, mp3 or avi extensions. Use search
    and see if you can locate you original message store and it located you
    will probably be able to import it into your new identity.

    It appears that as a result of using system restore you have reverted to a
    very old copy of the registry. You may be able to recover from that by
    using scanreg /restore provided that you did not have the scanregw entry
    disabled in MSConfig | Startup. By running scanreg /restore from a
    command prompt or by entering it in Start | Run and clicking OK you should
    hopefully be able to restore a recent copy of the registry although it
    will be well out of synch with your system files due to your having
    earlier restored to June 2004.

    I suspect you have a lot of system building in front of you and a number
    of applications to reinstall.

    Best of luck,
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Irving Rosenfeld <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I posted this by mistake on the 98 ng, and got one good
    > reply. I'm reposting here because this is the correct
    > forum.
    > Yesteday, for some reason, my computer (ME) went kaput,
    > and I couldn't
    > boot even in Safe Mode. I used a boot disk for system
    > restore, and the
    > date given was in June 2004. I was able to boot up then,
    > but Norton
    > wasn't able to be activated. The system trail had
    > nothing, and I got
    > the mouse and sound in it manually. I checked "msconfig"
    > and it had
    > "Selected Start-up" but had everything I needed. I had
    > downloaded Jin
    > for start up, so I clicked on "general start-up."
    > However, it did not
    > take and every time I rebooted, the run did not
    > read "msconfig" but
    > "inetwiz," which I needed to get back on my Comcast cable
    > internet.
    >

    > Taking the advice from this group, I downloaded the AVG
    > virus detector,
    > and will remove Norton. However, my problem now is that I
    > can't get
    > systray to load properly. I removed "jin" so I really
    > need that
    > website again. I removed it because it was unable to
    > work. JavaScript
    > is not working, and I got this message: Unable to locate
    > registry
    > hkey_local-machine\software\Ja­va Script\Java Plug-
    > In\1.4.2.06. I tried
    > typing in that key in the registry, but it would not take
    > due to
    > unacceptable symbols.
    >

    > My Outlook Express went to ground zero and I've lost all
    > my contacts,
    > also. Every download I did since June 04 is on my
    > computer, just that
    > they don't work, including WinZip.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    Well, I finally managed to get to send a reply, but I
    couldn't do it through OE. I went to the Micrsoft
    Newsgroups web page.

    I guess that's what I did. The boot disk told me to
    type "scanreg /restore," which restored my registry to
    June 2004. The only recent restore dates are today, which
    would do me no good, as I did that yesterday. Now I can't
    delete all those downloads because I'm missing the
    registry key and I can't download them again until I
    delete them.

    wrote:

    >> I posted this by mistake on the 98 ng, and got one good
    >> reply. I'm reposting here because this is the correct
    >> forum.
    >> Yesteday, for some reason, my computer (ME) went kaput,
    >> and I couldn't
    >> boot even in Safe Mode. I used a boot disk for system
    >> restore, and the
    >> date given was in June 2004. I was able to boot up
    then,
    >> but Norton
    >> wasn't able to be activated. The system trail had
    >> nothing, and I got
    >> the mouse and sound in it manually. I
    checked "msconfig"
    >> and it had
    >> "Selected Start-up" but had everything I needed. I had
    >> downloaded Jin
    >> for start up, so I clicked on "general start-up."
    >> However, it did not
    >> take and every time I rebooted, the run did not
    >> read "msconfig" but
    >> "inetwiz," which I needed to get back on my Comcast
    cable
    >> internet.
    >>

    >> Taking the advice from this group, I downloaded the AVG
    >> virus detector,
    >> and will remove Norton. However, my problem now is
    that I
    >> can't get
    >> systray to load properly. I removed "jin" so I really
    >> need that
    >> website again. I removed it because it was unable to
    >> work. JavaScript
    >> is not working, and I got this message: Unable to locate
    >> registry
    >> hkey_local-machine\software\Ja­va Script\Java Plug-
    >> In\1.4.2.06. I tried
    >> typing in that key in the registry, but it would not
    take
    >> due to
    >> unacceptable symbols.
    >>

    >> My Outlook Express went to ground zero and I've lost all
    >> my contacts,
    >> also. Every download I did since June 04 is on my
    >> computer, just that
    >> they don't work, including WinZip.
    >>

    >> Any suggestions?
    >
    >.

    State Mgr manages System Restore, and I've always kept
    that as a start up. I think it's because I also had
    Norton's GoBack running, it did not properly create
    restore points. I don't know why. I've tried to answer
    your questions. I clicked on your link and it gets me to
    OE ng here, but I cannot reply to the group since I get
    the message that the OE is not configured correctly. One
    time, and I don't recall how I did it, I managed to type
    in my name and fake email address, but I still couldn't
    post.

    wrote:

    >> I posted this by mistake on the 98 ng, and got one good
    >> reply. I'm reposting here because this is the correct
    >> forum.
    >> Yesteday, for some reason, my computer (ME) went kaput,
    >> and I couldn't
    >> boot even in Safe Mode. I used a boot disk for system
    >> restore, and the
    >> date given was in June 2004. I was able to boot up
    then,
    >> but Norton
    >> wasn't able to be activated. The system trail had
    >> nothing, and I got
    >> the mouse and sound in it manually. I
    checked "msconfig"
    >> and it had
    >> "Selected Start-up" but had everything I needed. I had
    >> downloaded Jin
    >> for start up, so I clicked on "general start-up."
    >> However, it did not
    >> take and every time I rebooted, the run did not
    >> read "msconfig" but
    >> "inetwiz," which I needed to get back on my Comcast
    cable
    >> internet.
    >>

    >> Taking the advice from this group, I downloaded the AVG
    >> virus detector,
    >> and will remove Norton. However, my problem now is
    that I
    >> can't get
    >> systray to load properly. I removed "jin" so I really
    >> need that
    >> website again. I removed it because it was unable to
    >> work. JavaScript
    >> is not working, and I got this message: Unable to locate
    >> registry
    >> hkey_local-machine\software\Ja­va Script\Java Plug-
    >> In\1.4.2.06. I tried
    >> typing in that key in the registry, but it would not
    take
    >> due to
    >> unacceptable symbols.
    >>

    >> My Outlook Express went to ground zero and I've lost all
    >> my contacts,
    >> also. Every download I did since June 04 is on my
    >> computer, just that
    >> they don't work, including WinZip.
    >>

    >> Any suggestions?
    >
    >.

    >> I used a boot disk for system restore, and the date given was in June
    2004.<<

    Could it be that you just did a registry restore?

    Could you ellaborate in more detail on what you did exactly while using the
    boot disk?

    Zee

    Zee,

    My question exactly. The poster has mailed me direct as they are unable
    to get back to the newsgroup and as well as giving them a link to enable
    them to use OE to access this NG I also asked them to post precise details
    of what they did.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > Could it be that you just did a registry restore?
    >
    > Could you ellaborate in more detail on what you did exactly while
    > using the boot disk?

    Mike,

    Good.

    Let's hope he can get back to the NG.

    Zee

    > Zee,
    >
    > My question exactly. The poster has mailed me direct as they are unable
    > to get back to the newsgroup and as well as giving them a link to enable
    > them to use OE to access this NG I also asked them to post precise details
    > of what they did.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Mr. Rosenfeld doesn't appear to like (or be able to effectively use) the
    advice he is getting here any better than that I gave him in
    ....windows98.general previously, ... other than to post here instead.
    I suspect he is simply going to have to reinstall many apps to recover.
    I suggested he use the IE repair tool in Add-Remove Programs, and I see no
    evidence he has attempted to do so yet.
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > Mike,
    >
    > Good.
    >
    > Let's hope he can get back to the NG.
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >

    > > Zee,
    > >
    > > My question exactly. The poster has mailed me direct as they are unable
    > > to get back to the newsgroup and as well as giving them a link to enable
    > > them to use OE to access this NG I also asked them to post precise
    details
    > > of what they did.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    If you don't have system restore checkpoints for the last few dates you're
    SOL. As to having no more recent copy of the registry than June 2004 this
    is usually the result of having unchecked the scanregw entry in MSConfig |
    Startup. Since you have a system now running with a year old copy of the
    registry I feel you have a major task on your hands to get the system back
    running as it should be.

    As for your OE problems if you were to answer some of the questions I have
    asked you perhaps we could get the problem sorted out but to date you
    don't appear to want or perhaps be able to answer.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Irving <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Well, I finally managed to get to send a reply, but I
    > couldn't do it through OE. I went to the Micrsoft
    > Newsgroups web page.
    >
    > I guess that's what I did. The boot disk told me to
    > type "scanreg /restore," which restored my registry to
    > June 2004. The only recent restore dates are today, which
    > would do me no good, as I did that yesterday. Now I can't
    > delete all those downloads because I'm missing the
    > registry key and I can't download them again until I
    > delete them.

    I didn't have anything in the Name and Address fields, but I filled it with
    fake names now. See if it goes.
    > If you don't have system restore checkpoints for the last few dates you're
    > SOL. As to having no more recent copy of the registry than June 2004 this
    > is usually the result of having unchecked the scanregw entry in MSConfig |
    > Startup. Since you have a system now running with a year old copy of the
    > registry I feel you have a major task on your hands to get the system back
    > running as it should be.
    >
    > As for your OE problems if you were to answer some of the questions I have
    > asked you perhaps we could get the problem sorted out but to date you
    > don't appear to want or perhaps be able to answer.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Irving <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Well, I finally managed to get to send a reply, but I
    > > couldn't do it through OE. I went to the Micrsoft
    > > Newsgroups web page.
    > >
    > > I guess that's what I did. The boot disk told me to
    > > type "scanreg /restore," which restored my registry to
    > > June 2004. The only recent restore dates are today, which
    > > would do me no good, as I did that yesterday. Now I can't
    > > delete all those downloads because I'm missing the
    > > registry key and I can't download them again until I
    > > delete them.

    Well done!

    That's all that appears to have been necessary which is what OE's message
    was telling you when it said "No sender specified".
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Someone <someone@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I didn't have anything in the Name and Address fields, but I filled
    > it with fake names now. See if it goes.

    GoBack and System Restore are incompatible. It's one or the other, you
    can't use both.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Irving <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > State Mgr manages System Restore, and I've always kept
    > that as a start up. I think it's because I also had
    > Norton's GoBack running, it did not properly create
    > restore points. I don't know why. I've tried to answer
    > your questions. I clicked on your link and it gets me to
    > OE ng here, but I cannot reply to the group since I get
    > the message that the OE is not configured correctly. One
    > time, and I don't recall how I did it, I managed to type
    > in my name and fake email address, but I still couldn't
    > post.

    Thanks for the advice. I've tried to reinstall many apps, but many do not
    take. When I clicked on IE6 in the Add/Remove Program, I get a warning that
    this will delete my IE and do I want to continue. Are they lying to me?
    > Mr. Rosenfeld doesn't appear to like (or be able to effectively use) the
    > advice he is getting here any better than that I gave him in
    > ...windows98.general previously, ... other than to post here instead.
    > I suspect he is simply going to have to reinstall many apps to recover.
    > I suggested he use the IE repair tool in Add-Remove Programs, and I see no
    > evidence he has attempted to do so yet.
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Mike,
    > >
    > > Good.
    > >
    > > Let's hope he can get back to the NG.
    > >
    > > Zee
    > >

    > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > >

    > > > Zee,
    > > >
    > > > My question exactly. The poster has mailed me direct as they are
    unable
    > > > to get back to the newsgroup and as well as giving them a link to
    enable
    > > > them to use OE to access this NG I also asked them to post precise
    > details
    > > > of what they did.
    > > > --
    > > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    The earliest date given in scanreg /restore is on 5/8 at 10:28 PM, which is
    after my problems began. I note that when I tried to re-download Belarc, I
    get the following error messages: "\System\tmp\/ASc2c4 contains an invalid
    path" and "\System\tpl\site Default Summary contains an invalid path". I am
    also unable to re-download Java. I thought that may be due to a registry
    key being missing, and it may, but could it also be an invalid path. If so,
    is there any way to repair it? Apparently I have no way to restore any
    missing registry key.
> [...]
    > > internet.
    > >

    > > Taking the advice from this group, I downloaded the AVG
    > > virus detector,
    > > and will remove Norton. However, my problem now is that I
    > > can't get
    > > systray to load properly. I removed "jin" so I really
    > > need that
    > > website again. I removed it because it was unable to
    > > work. JavaScript
    > > is not working, and I got this message: Unable to locate
    > > registry
    > > hkey_local-machine\software\Ja­va Script\Java Plug-
    > > In\1.4.2.06. I tried
    > > typing in that key in the registry, but it would not take
    > > due to
    > > unacceptable symbols.
    > >

    > > My Outlook Express went to ground zero and I've lost all
    > > my contacts,
    > > also. Every download I did since June 04 is on my

    Your error messages appear to be referencing files in the temporary
    directories, which files and directories are probably now missing.
    Clean out all IE caches, uninstall Belarc and the Sun Java, if installed,
    and reattempt the DL's for the setup files. If successful, run the
    installations. The Sun Java file will install ver. 1.4.2_08, and when it is
    running, use its Help/Update wizard to update to ver. 1.5.0_02.

    N.B. The two Sun Java setup files are ca. 15 MB, so any dial-up DL will
    take quite some time.
    "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > internet.
    > > >

    > > > Taking the advice from this group, I downloaded the AVG
    > > > virus detector,
    > > > and will remove Norton. However, my problem now is that I
    > > > can't get
    > > > systray to load properly. I removed "jin" so I really
    > > > need that
    > > > website again. I removed it because it was unable to
    > > > work. JavaScript
    > > > is not working, and I got this message: Unable to locate
    > > > registry
    > > > hkey_local-machine\software\Ja­va Script\Java Plug-
    > > > In\1.4.2.06. I tried
    > > > typing in that key in the registry, but it would not take
    > > > due to
    > > > unacceptable symbols.
    > > >

    > > > My Outlook Express went to ground zero and I've lost all
    > > > my contacts,
    > > > also. Every download I did since June 04 is on my

    Open IE and confirm that ver. 6 is installed using the Help / About Internet
    Explorer tab.
    If so, selecting the Microsoft IE6 ... item in Add-Remove Programs, and
    choosing Remove, will pop up a window with three options:
    1) Add a component
    2) Repair IE
    3) Restore the previous Windows configuration

    In addition, there is a "Advanced" button, which will show the various IE
    and OE components and Win Updates currently installed.
    This permits reverting one or more components separately... not usually
    advisable.
    Also, an option to delete the past configuration information; doing so will
    preclude reverting to the the past installation/s.
    ----

    Re: failed attempts to reinstall many other apps:
    First, use the Add-Remove Programs wizard to uninstall the currently damaged
    installation. Then reinstall and update, as needed.
    > Thanks for the advice. I've tried to reinstall many apps, but many do not
    > take. When I clicked on IE6 in the Add/Remove Program, I get a warning
    that
    > this will delete my IE and do I want to continue. Are they lying to me?

    <SNIP>
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I cannot use the Add/Remove program to uninstall damaged installations
    because they are not listed there.
    > Open IE and confirm that ver. 6 is installed using the Help / About
    Internet
    > Explorer tab.
    > If so, selecting the Microsoft IE6 ... item in Add-Remove Programs, and
    > choosing Remove, will pop up a window with three options:
    > 1) Add a component
    > 2) Repair IE
    > 3) Restore the previous Windows configuration
    >
    > In addition, there is a "Advanced" button, which will show the various IE
    > and OE components and Win Updates currently installed.
    > This permits reverting one or more components separately... not usually
    > advisable.
    > Also, an option to delete the past configuration information; doing so
    will
    > preclude reverting to the the past installation/s.
    > ----
    >
    > Re: failed attempts to reinstall many other apps:
    > First, use the Add-Remove Programs wizard to uninstall the currently
    damaged
    > installation. Then reinstall and update, as needed.
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the advice. I've tried to reinstall many apps, but many do
    not
    > > take. When I clicked on IE6 in the Add/Remove Program, I get a warning
    > that
    > > this will delete my IE and do I want to continue. Are they lying to me?
    >
    > <SNIP>

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    That suggests the necessary uninstall files have been removed. Now find the
    (partially empty) folders for the missing programs and delete them.

    Proceed with the IE6 repair option, if it is available.
    > I cannot use the Add/Remove program to uninstall damaged installations
    > because they are not listed there.
    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Open IE and confirm that ver. 6 is installed using the Help / About
    > > Internet Explorer tab.
    > > If so, selecting the Microsoft IE6 ... item in Add-Remove Programs, and
    > > choosing Remove, will pop up a window with three options:
    > > 1) Add a component
    > > 2) Repair IE
    > > 3) Restore the previous Windows configuration
    > >
    > > In addition, there is a "Advanced" button, which will show the various
    IE
    > > and OE components and Win Updates currently installed.
    > > This permits reverting one or more components separately... not usually
    > > advisable.
    > > Also, an option to delete the past configuration information; doing so
    > > will preclude reverting to the the past installation/s.
    > > ----
    > >
    > > Re: failed attempts to reinstall many other apps:
    > > First, use the Add-Remove Programs wizard to uninstall the currently
    > > damaged installation. Then reinstall and update, as needed.
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for the advice. I've tried to reinstall many apps, but many do
    > > not take. When I clicked on IE6 in the Add/Remove Program, I get a
    warning
    > > that this will delete my IE and do I want to continue. Are they lying
    to me?

    > > <SNIP>
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    dear sir,madam
    can anyone help me my daughters computer has a problem i need a emergency
    floppy disk and i have no idea where i can get one for windows me as her
    computer is asking for it .she received her computer for her wish from the
    make a wish foundation here in australia and they did not send her the
    disket .i would be gratefull if anyone can help me
    thank you
    chrisie
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Chrisie,

    You can create a boot floppy (EBD) or start up disk as follows:
    Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Startup Disk and follow the prompts.

    If you get asked for the location of a "missing" file point the wizard
    towards the Win Me cab files which should be in either the
    windows\options\cabs or windows\options\install folder. Alternatively
    point to the Win9x folder on the Win Me CD. Specifically look for the
    file BASE2.CAB and then point the wizard at the folder containing
    base2.cab..

    If you are unable to create a boot floppy you can download the image of a
    Win Me OEM boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. Download to your desktop,
    double click to run and follow the prompts to transfer the image to a
    floppy. Do NOT copy the downloaded file to a floppy - that won't make a
    bootable floppy but instead a floppy disk containing the file you
    downloaded.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    christine easton via WindowsKB.com <forum@WindowsKB.com> wrote:

    > dear sir,madam
    > can anyone help me my daughters computer has a problem i need a
    > emergency floppy disk and i have no idea where i can get one for
    > windows me as her computer is asking for it .she received her
    > computer for her wish from the make a wish foundation here in
    > australia and they did not send her the disket .i would be gratefull
    > if anyone can help me thank you
    > chrisie

System Restore Windows