Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Does anyone know if all mobo's fit in all the cases? What I really mean is
in the back of the case of all it's components? I have an old midtower but
it looks like my new mobo will not fit all the components. I know I don't
have to buy a new case or will I have to? Or can I just purchase the back
fitting?

thanks

When you buy a new motherboard the escutcheon (back plate) that fits that's
board's inputs/outputs comes with it.

--
DaveW

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if all mobo's fit in all the cases? What I really mean is
> in the back of the case of all it's components? I have an old midtower but
> it looks like my new mobo will not fit all the components. I know I don't
> have to buy a new case or will I have to? Or can I just purchase the back
> fitting?
>
> thanks

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if all mobo's fit in all the cases? What I really mean is
> in the back of the case of all it's components?

If you mean the ports (USB, keyboard, parallel, network, etc.) on the back
of the computer, thne no, they don't always match up with the arrangement on
the case's backplate.

> I have an old midtower but
> it looks like my new mobo will not fit all the components.

If by "old" you mean it's an AT-style case, then you won't be able to use a
new motherboard in that case.

> I know I don't have to buy a new case or will I have to? Or can I just
> purchase the back fitting?

Many motherboards come with a backplate that will fit the motherboard but,
unfortunately, many times the motherboard manufacturer does not provide one.
Fortunately, they're easy to find. You can get a stack of them at a computer
show if you have those in your area, or you can visit your local mom-and-pop
computer shop... they'd probably give you one for free. Of course, you can
always find them online.

Stephan wrote:
> Does anyone know if all mobo's fit in all the cases? What I really mean is
> in the back of the case of all it's components? I have an old midtower but
> it looks like my new mobo will not fit all the components. I know I don't
> have to buy a new case or will I have to? Or can I just purchase the back
> fitting?
>
> thanks

By "components" do you mean the ports on the back of the motherboard? If
so, don't most ATX motherboards come with a backplate?

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:01:24 +0800, spodosaurus wrote:

> Stephan wrote:
>> Does anyone know if all mobo's fit in all the cases? What I really mean is
>> in the back of the case of all it's components? I have an old midtower but
>> it looks like my new mobo will not fit all the components. I know I don't
>> have to buy a new case or will I have to? Or can I just purchase the back
>> fitting?
>>
>> thanks
>
> By "components" do you mean the ports on the back of the motherboard? If
> so, don't most ATX motherboards come with a backplate?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ari

My Asus board came with the backplate to fit all its ports. All I had to
do was take the old backplate out of the case and put the new one in. I
also thought all motherboards came with a backplate. Are you trying to put
an ATX motherboard in an AT case? If so, that may be a problem.

Patty

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:35:11 -0500, Patty <patty15NOSPAM@softhome.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:01:24 +0800, spodosaurus wrote:
>
>> Stephan wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if all mobo's fit in all the cases? What I really mean is
>>> in the back of the case of all it's components? I have an old midtower but
>>> it looks like my new mobo will not fit all the components. I know I don't
>>> have to buy a new case or will I have to? Or can I just purchase the back
>>> fitting?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>
>> By "components" do you mean the ports on the back of the motherboard? If
>> so, don't most ATX motherboards come with a backplate?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ari
>
>My Asus board came with the backplate to fit all its ports. All I had to
>do was take the old backplate out of the case and put the new one in. I
>also thought all motherboards came with a backplate. Are you trying to put
>an ATX motherboard in an AT case? If so, that may be a problem.
>
>Patty

They may not come with the plate if it is standard ATX.My KT3 ultra,
and Micron Anchorage systems are standard ATX.

>>By "components" do you mean the ports on the back of the motherboard? If
>>> so, don't most ATX motherboards come with a backplate?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Ari
>

> My Asus board came with the backplate to fit all its ports. All I had to
> do was take the old backplate out of the case and put the new one in. I
> also thought all motherboards came with a backplate. Are you trying to put
> an ATX motherboard in an AT case? If so, that may be a problem.
>
> Patty

And aren't those backplates cheesy? I got a backplate with my Asus
board, and it was about as thick as a flattened beer can. No more
than half the thickness of the original plate the came with the
el-cheapo no-name case, which itself was very thin.

Sam

Sometime on, or about Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:23:26 -0500, Hackworth wrote:

> "Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know if all mobo's fit in all the cases? What I really mean is
>> in the back of the case of all it's components?
>
> If you mean the ports (USB, keyboard, parallel, network, etc.) on the back
> of the computer, thne no, they don't always match up with the arrangement on
> the case's backplate.
>
>> I have an old midtower but
>> it looks like my new mobo will not fit all the components.
>
> If by "old" you mean it's an AT-style case, then you won't be able to use a
> new motherboard in that case.
>
>> I know I don't have to buy a new case or will I have to? Or can I just
>> purchase the back fitting?
>
> Many motherboards come with a backplate that will fit the motherboard but,
> unfortunately, many times the motherboard manufacturer does not provide one.
> Fortunately, they're easy to find. You can get a stack of them at a computer
> show if you have those in your area, or you can visit your local mom-and-pop
> computer shop... they'd probably give you one for free. Of course, you can
> always find them online.

You can get those backplates on Ebay too...

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:44:46 -0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>When you buy a new motherboard the escutcheon (back plate) that fits that's
>board's inputs/outputs comes with it.
>
>--
>DaveW
Not always. My Biostar M7NCD Pro didn't include the I/O shield. I had
to nibble out the USB hole on the existing I/O shield to allow access
to the RJ-45 lan connector. Everything else fit. I guess if I didn't
have a nibbler I could disable the onboard lan and add a pci nic.