What tools to fix ME?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 9, 2005 11:23:30 PM

I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I will
go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is loading
at startup,run anti spyware/adware ,install firewall.Also I will do
windows update.
I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
should knows about?
How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should re
install to save time.
I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : tools fix

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:23:31 PM

http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html
the above site should provide you with all, or most, of the info you will
need. The MS-MVP sites are also great references for any 'particular'
problems. Additionally, don't forget Google Groups searches for those
'sticky' things.
Heirloom, old and sliding over to XP machine now

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I will
> go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
> install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is loading
> at startup,run anti spyware/adware ,install firewall.Also I will do
> windows update.
> I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
> web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
> should knows about?
> How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should re
> install to save time.
> I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
> I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
> Thanks in advance for any help.
May 9, 2005 11:50:41 PM

In news:%23mvtT5OVFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I
> will go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
> install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is
> will do windows update.
> I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
> web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
> should knows about?
> How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should
> re install to save time.
> I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
> I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Well, I took about 20 minutes or so to try to find the page that detailed
the differences between 98 and ME but I can't seem to find it on
microsoft.com (go figure) and don't have time to go into the archives of the
way back machine. What I did find is this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/default.asp

While that may not appear particularly useful at first glance there's a few
gems there. More than that you'll find there's not a whole lot of
differences between 98 and ME and much of what works on 98 will work on ME
without any major issues. I guess the biggest differences way back then were
Media Player 7 and System Restore. You'll find the registry contains the
same familiar sections and the file system is the same so you won't be in
for any big surprises either.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
May 9, 2005 11:50:42 PM

Hey Galen,
I see you are playing in two fields now, as well. Good to see you
again.........
Heirloom, old and love this group

news:o VboiHPVFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23mvtT5OVFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

>> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I
>> will go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
>> install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is
>> will do windows update.
>> I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
>> web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
>> should knows about?
>> How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should
>> re install to save time.
>> I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
>> I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Well, I took about 20 minutes or so to try to find the page that detailed
> the differences between 98 and ME but I can't seem to find it on
> microsoft.com (go figure) and don't have time to go into the archives of
> the way back machine. What I did find is this:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/default.asp
>
> While that may not appear particularly useful at first glance there's a
> few gems there. More than that you'll find there's not a whole lot of
> differences between 98 and ME and much of what works on 98 will work on ME
> without any major issues. I guess the biggest differences way back then
> were Media Player 7 and System Restore. You'll find the registry contains
> the same familiar sections and the file system is the same so you won't be
> in for any big surprises either.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:19:37 AM

Joe K:

As you already have been told, there aren't any mjor differences between
Win98 and WinME, except for the Media Player and System restore.
Any Win9x product will become sluggish over time, according to the experts.
To overcome this hurdle, you would have to install Win2000 or Linux.
If the current installation of WinME was an upgrade from Win98, you may want
to do a clean install instead, to remedy some of the sluggishness.
You will have to decide the feasability of this operation.
Hope this might help you decide in addition to the already given advice.

Harry.

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I will
> go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
> install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is loading
> at startup,run anti spyware/adware ,install firewall.Also I will do
> windows update.
> I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
> web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
> should knows about?
> How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should re
> install to save time.
> I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
> I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
> Thanks in advance for any help.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:15:56 AM

webster72n wrote:

> Any Win9x product will become sluggish over time

<grin>

not that you'd know anything about that; you always break yours long
before it has a chance to become sluggish.
(k, me2, granted)

Rick
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:31:30 AM

Well that pretty well summed it up; I'd change the order a bit, though:

Disk Cleanup:
- Recyle Bin
- Temp
- (unwanted) Cookies
- IE Temp
- OE Maintenance

Make sure SR folder isn't > 400MB

Scandisk (might want to use "Surface Scan" and/or change some options)

Screen ControlPanel/System|DeviceManager for any duplicates
Screen Programs/... for unneeded programs and Uninstall
Screen ControlPanel/Software/Installed for unneeded programs
Screen MSConfig|Startup and Programs/Startup folder for unwanted items

mild registry cleaner
Scanreg/fix

Any registry, etc. tweaks

WindowsUpdate
Anti-Ad/Spy/Virusware updates
Driver and Software Updates

Defrag

Rick
(did I miss anything?)

Joe K wrote:
> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I will
> go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
> install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is loading
> at startup,run anti spyware/adware ,install firewall.Also I will do
> windows update.
> I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
> web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
> should knows about?
> How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should re
> install to save time.
> I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
> I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
> Thanks in advance for any help.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:31:31 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/topics/err...
http://www.aumha.org/elist.htm
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm#Select
http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/kbasewin...
http://pc-cleanup.tripod.com/pccleanup/index.html
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/internet_explorer.htm
http://aumha.org/index.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/
Just to add some interesting reading to your Me 'tuneup' quest, the above
are some of my favorites.
Heirloom, old and toys will be shared with those who
respect them

news:o oM9zBRVFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Well that pretty well summed it up; I'd change the order a bit, though:
>
> Disk Cleanup:
> - Recyle Bin
> - Temp
> - (unwanted) Cookies
> - IE Temp
> - OE Maintenance
>
> Make sure SR folder isn't > 400MB
>
> Scandisk (might want to use "Surface Scan" and/or change some options)
>
> Screen ControlPanel/System|DeviceManager for any duplicates
> Screen Programs/... for unneeded programs and Uninstall
> Screen ControlPanel/Software/Installed for unneeded programs
> Screen MSConfig|Startup and Programs/Startup folder for unwanted items
>
> mild registry cleaner
> Scanreg/fix
>
> Any registry, etc. tweaks
>
> WindowsUpdate
> Anti-Ad/Spy/Virusware updates
> Driver and Software Updates
>
> Defrag
>

> Rick
> (did I miss anything?)
>
> Joe K wrote:
> > I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I will
> > go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
> > install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is loading
> > at startup,run anti spyware/adware ,install firewall.Also I will do
> > windows update.
> > I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
> > web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
> > should knows about?
> > How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should re
> > install to save time.
> > I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
> > I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:22:26 AM

.... and of course timely reboots.

Being WinME, I'd set a System Restore point first, another one after
finishing.

Rick

Rick T wrote:
> Well that pretty well summed it up; I'd change the order a bit, though:
>
> Disk Cleanup:
> - Recyle Bin
> - Temp
> - (unwanted) Cookies
> - IE Temp
> - OE Maintenance
>
> Make sure SR folder isn't > 400MB
>
> Scandisk (might want to use "Surface Scan" and/or change some options)
>
> Screen ControlPanel/System|DeviceManager for any duplicates
> Screen Programs/... for unneeded programs and Uninstall
> Screen ControlPanel/Software/Installed for unneeded programs
> Screen MSConfig|Startup and Programs/Startup folder for unwanted items
>
> mild registry cleaner
> Scanreg/fix
>
> Any registry, etc. tweaks
>
> WindowsUpdate
> Anti-Ad/Spy/Virusware updates
> Driver and Software Updates
>
> Defrag
>

> Rick
> (did I miss anything?)
>
> Joe K wrote:
>
>> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I
>> will go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
>> install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is
>> will do windows update.
>> I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
>> web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
>> should knows about?
>> How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should
>> re install to save time.
>> I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
>> I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:33:37 AM

now *that*s thorough.

Rick

heirloom wrote:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/topics/err...
> http://www.aumha.org/elist.htm
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm#Select
> http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/kbasewin...
> http://pc-cleanup.tripod.com/pccleanup/index.html
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/
> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/internet_explorer.htm
> http://aumha.org/index.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/
> Just to add some interesting reading to your Me 'tuneup' quest, the above
> are some of my favorites.
> Heirloom, old and toys will be shared with those who
> respect them
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o oM9zBRVFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
>>Well that pretty well summed it up; I'd change the order a bit, though:
>>
>>Disk Cleanup:
>>- Recyle Bin
>>- Temp
>>- (unwanted) Cookies
>>- IE Temp
>>- OE Maintenance
>>
>>Make sure SR folder isn't > 400MB
>>
>>Scandisk (might want to use "Surface Scan" and/or change some options)
>>
>>Screen ControlPanel/System|DeviceManager for any duplicates
>>Screen Programs/... for unneeded programs and Uninstall
>>Screen ControlPanel/Software/Installed for unneeded programs
>>Screen MSConfig|Startup and Programs/Startup folder for unwanted items
>>
>>mild registry cleaner
>>Scanreg/fix
>>
>>Any registry, etc. tweaks
>>
>>WindowsUpdate
>>Anti-Ad/Spy/Virusware updates
>>Driver and Software Updates
>>
>>Defrag
>>

>>Rick
>>(did I miss anything?)
>>
>>Joe K wrote:
>>
>>>I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I will
>>>go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
>>>install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is loading
>>>at startup,run anti spyware/adware ,install firewall.Also I will do
>>>windows update.
>>>I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
>>>web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
>>>should knows about?
>>>How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should re
>>>install to save time.
>>>I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
>>>I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
>>>Thanks in advance for any help.

May 10, 2005 2:16:45 PM

In news:%23w5H5dPVFHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Heirloom <heirloom@void.void> had this to say:

> Hey Galen,
> I see you are playing in two fields now, as well. Good to see you
> again.........
> Heirloom, old and love this group

LOL I'm one of the six people on the planet that loved ME. I still have it
installed on a number of systems. I've been lurking in this group since...
Hmm.... 2002ish? Maybe '03? It's just that the posts are usually pretty well
covered in here and there's some that know far more than I will ever know
about ME in here so I usually just end up lurking. I'm pretty fast with my
typing but slow with my responding so often it's answered long before I've
thought about what the problems might be. <g> I'm much more active in the
security and XP groups.

Galen (and to cite your example which I think is absolutely a riot) not so
old and too tired to love anything other than my long lost sleep

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:37:05 PM

<lol> He'll see you in there now he's joining that brigade <g> I'm just
waiting to see if he gets in a tangle and comes up against Sarah <g>
Joan

Galen wrote:
> LOL I'm one of the six people on the planet that loved ME. I still
> have it installed on a number of systems. I've been lurking in this
> group since... Hmm.... 2002ish? Maybe '03? It's just that the posts
> are usually pretty well covered in here and there's some that know
> far more than I will ever know about ME in here so I usually just end
> up lurking. I'm pretty fast with my typing but slow with my
> responding so often it's answered long before I've thought about what
> the problems might be. <g> I'm much more active in the security and
> XP groups.
> Galen (and to cite your example which I think is absolutely a riot)
> not so old and too tired to love anything other than my long lost
> sleep
May 10, 2005 7:37:06 PM

In news:uu9I92WVFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> had this to say:

> <lol> He'll see you in there now he's joining that brigade <g> I'm
> just waiting to see if he gets in a tangle and comes up against Sarah
> <g> Joan

Hmm... That IS food for thought. I'm sure he'll be fine. <g>

Actually I'm not sure how long he'll hold out in his printer battle so I'm
expecting a version like this:

Computer: 1
Heirloom: 0

The rematch will be a TKO when said box is smashed with a hammer thus the
final result:

Heiloom: 1
Computer: 1
Printer: 0

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
May 10, 2005 8:49:57 PM

Get Diskeeper Lite - a freeware defrag facility which really works
well. Don't waste your time with the MS defrag tool.
I defrag most days , it only takes a minute ot two . I haven't found
ME getting sluggish yet after some years on this computer - maybe it's
because I clean out anything I don't want to keep and then defrag
before closing down.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 8:49:58 PM

Diskeeper Lite, he?
Sounds like a good idea.
You deserve a pinstripe for it, petrolhead.
Thank you.

Harry.

"petrolhead" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> Get Diskeeper Lite - a freeware defrag facility which really works
> well. Don't waste your time with the MS defrag tool.
> I defrag most days , it only takes a minute ot two . I haven't found
> ME getting sluggish yet after some years on this computer - maybe it's
> because I clean out anything I don't want to keep and then defrag
> before closing down.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:39:20 AM

LOL!

I lost track - if it's a LexMark, I'll supply the hammer!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Actually I'm not sure how long he'll hold out in his printer battle so I'm
> expecting a version like this:
>
> Computer: 1
> Heirloom: 0
>
> The rematch will be a TKO when said box is smashed with a hammer thus the
> final result:
>
> Heiloom: 1
> Computer: 1
> Printer: 0
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

May 11, 2005 12:39:21 AM

In news:uj7WyfZVFHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> had this to say:

> LOL!
>
> I lost track - if it's a LexMark, I'll supply the hammer!!

Is LexMark still supplying call-home software with it's devices? I haven't
bought a LexMark in ages. I'm surprised people still do buy them. Maybe it's
the price? My sister bought one and it was pretty much free after rebate.
Her idea was, and it worked for a while, to just buy a new printer when it
ran out of ink because it was actually cheaper to buy the printer than it
was to buy the ink.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:58:07 AM

Yup, Lexmark P6250.........should have stuck with HP.
Heirloom, old and it makes pretty pictures

> LOL!
>
> I lost track - if it's a LexMark, I'll supply the hammer!!
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Actually I'm not sure how long he'll hold out in his printer battle so
I'm
> > expecting a version like this:
> >
> > Computer: 1
> > Heirloom: 0
> >
> > The rematch will be a TKO when said box is smashed with a hammer thus
the
> > final result:
> >
> > Heiloom: 1
> > Computer: 1
> > Printer: 0
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> >
> > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
> >
> > Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:09:51 AM

Sarah, what a sweet name.........are you implying that she may be a source
of conflict?? I have noticed a considerable amount of that over there.
Heirloom, old and too brittle to bounce

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> <lol> He'll see you in there now he's joining that brigade <g> I'm just
> waiting to see if he gets in a tangle and comes up against Sarah <g>
> Joan
>

> Galen wrote:
> > LOL I'm one of the six people on the planet that loved ME. I still
> > have it installed on a number of systems. I've been lurking in this
> > group since... Hmm.... 2002ish? Maybe '03? It's just that the posts
> > are usually pretty well covered in here and there's some that know
> > far more than I will ever know about ME in here so I usually just end
> > up lurking. I'm pretty fast with my typing but slow with my
> > responding so often it's answered long before I've thought about what
> > the problems might be. <g> I'm much more active in the security and
> > XP groups.
> > Galen (and to cite your example which I think is absolutely a riot)
> > not so old and too tired to love anything other than my long lost
> > sleep

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:31:34 AM

The reason that DK works apparently so fast is that it uses spare CPU cycles
(and possibly a few that aren't spare) to continually defrag in the
background.
Consequently, if your system is low in either resources or CPU speed, it is
NOT to be recommended!!

(Which does Not make a comment on how efficiently it defrags the drive, cf
MS Defrag)

--

> Diskeeper Lite, he?
> Sounds like a good idea.
> You deserve a pinstripe for it, petrolhead.
> Thank you.
>
> Harry.
>

> "petrolhead" <a@b.com> wrote in message
>> Get Diskeeper Lite - a freeware defrag facility which really works
>> well. Don't waste your time with the MS defrag tool.
>> I defrag most days , it only takes a minute ot two . I haven't found
>> ME getting sluggish yet after some years on this computer - maybe it's
>> because I clean out anything I don't want to keep and then defrag
>> before closing down.

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:31:35 AM

That's important to know, Noel.
All indications are, I am in the clear.
Thanks for the pointer.

Harry.

> The reason that DK works apparently so fast is that it uses spare CPU
cycles
> (and possibly a few that aren't spare) to continually defrag in the
> background.
> Consequently, if your system is low in either resources or CPU speed, it
is
> NOT to be recommended!!
>
> (Which does Not make a comment on how efficiently it defrags the drive, cf
> MS Defrag)
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Diskeeper Lite, he?
> > Sounds like a good idea.
> > You deserve a pinstripe for it, petrolhead.
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "petrolhead" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> >> Get Diskeeper Lite - a freeware defrag facility which really works
> >> well. Don't waste your time with the MS defrag tool.
> >> I defrag most days , it only takes a minute ot two . I haven't found
> >> ME getting sluggish yet after some years on this computer - maybe it's
> >> because I clean out anything I don't want to keep and then defrag
> >> before closing down.

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:31:36 AM

DiskKeeper is what I run on my machine. However, with the addition of EZ
Trust AV, I can no longer use the "auto defrag" feature, PMO! DK is made by
the same folks that make the XP defragger, seems to work just fine. I am
using version 8.2.160 and have been for a very long time.
Heirloom, old and has some fragmented grey
matter

> That's important to know, Noel.
> All indications are, I am in the clear.
> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > The reason that DK works apparently so fast is that it uses spare CPU
> cycles
> > (and possibly a few that aren't spare) to continually defrag in the
> > background.
> > Consequently, if your system is low in either resources or CPU speed, it
> is
> > NOT to be recommended!!
> >
> > (Which does Not make a comment on how efficiently it defrags the drive,
cf
> > MS Defrag)
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Diskeeper Lite, he?
> > > Sounds like a good idea.
> > > You deserve a pinstripe for it, petrolhead.
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "petrolhead" <a@b.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:58:05 AM

ROFL
Somehow I think he may come out on top, he's already got an idea what it's
like in the XP ng's <g>
Joan

Galen wrote:

> Hmm... That IS food for thought. I'm sure he'll be fine. <g>
>
> Actually I'm not sure how long he'll hold out in his printer battle
> so I'm expecting a version like this:
>
> Computer: 1
> Heirloom: 0
>
> The rematch will be a TKO when said box is smashed with a hammer thus
> the final result:
>
> Heiloom: 1
> Computer: 1
> Printer: 0
>
> Galen
May 11, 2005 1:58:06 AM

In news:uzHO2LaVFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> had this to say:

> ROFL
> Somehow I think he may come out on top, he's already got an idea what
> it's like in the XP ng's <g>
> Joan

They're animals... <g> Oh, wait... I'm in there...

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:58:46 AM

<lol> Are they that bad.
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> LOL!
>
> I lost track - if it's a LexMark, I'll supply the hammer!!

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 3:13:14 AM

Heirloom:
By the looks of it, I can't use the "DisKeeper".
After going through the defrag process, the dreaded termination by server
message came back to my OE.
I used SR twice to get back to before DK, just to be sure.
Why it's giving me trouble, I don't know, because it seemed to work very
nicely and is easy to operate. But I hate that message and was glad to be
rid of it through some tricky maneuvering.
Now I must do without DK.

Harry.

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:49:40 AM

No - they're worse!

--

> <lol> Are they that bad.
> Joan
>
> Noel Paton wrote:
>> LOL!
>>
>> I lost track - if it's a LexMark, I'll supply the hammer!!

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 3:32:18 PM

ROFL
But there are always exceptions to the rules <g>
Joan

Galen wrote:

> They're animals... <g> Oh, wait... I'm in there...
>
> Galen
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 3:34:51 PM

ROFL
May be sweet if she were using that name in there but just look out for
Miss Tick <g>
Joan

heirloom wrote:
> Sarah, what a sweet name.........are you implying that she may be a
> source of conflict?? I have noticed a considerable amount of that
> over there. Heirloom, old and too brittle to bounce

May 11, 2005 3:34:52 PM

GROAN!! *Mystic*, eh? (Miss Tick)

What group is this so that I can have a look....the New Users one?? Looked
on that one for a Sarah, but she wasn't on there.

Off for my morning coffee......Heather (the real Oracle....lol)

> ROFL
> May be sweet if she were using that name in there but just look out for
> Miss Tick <g>
> Joan
>

> heirloom wrote:
> > Sarah, what a sweet name.........are you implying that she may be a
> > source of conflict?? I have noticed a considerable amount of that
> > over there. Heirloom, old and too brittle to bounce

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:40:54 PM

I think she's in most of them, Miss Perspicacia Tick <g> although quite
often her posts are civilised and helpful.
Joan

Heather wrote:
> GROAN!! *Mystic*, eh? (Miss Tick)
>
> What group is this so that I can have a look....the New Users one??
> Looked on that one for a Sarah, but she wasn't on there.
>
> Off for my morning coffee......Heather (the real Oracle....lol)

May 12, 2005 1:39:23 AM

In news:%234XK1ShVFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> had this to say:

> ROFL
> But there are always exceptions to the rules <g>
> Joan

*growls and bites a random ankle*

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:34:05 AM

Oh, figgy, good shot on the 'Miss Tick".........lol. Still rather have a
skeeter..... would that involve clay pidgeons??
Heirloom, old and used to sheet skoot, skoot sheet, er,
shoot skeet

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> GROAN!! *Mystic*, eh? (Miss Tick)
>
> What group is this so that I can have a look....the New Users one??
Looked
> on that one for a Sarah, but she wasn't on there.
>
> Off for my morning coffee......Heather (the real Oracle....lol)
>
> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > ROFL
> > May be sweet if she were using that name in there but just look out for
> > Miss Tick <g>
> > Joan
> >

> > heirloom wrote:
> > > Sarah, what a sweet name.........are you implying that she may be a
> > > source of conflict?? I have noticed a considerable amount of that
> > > over there. Heirloom, old and too brittle to bounce

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 3:09:34 PM

Are your fingers falling off the keys again <vbg>
Joan

heirloom wrote:
> Oh, figgy, good shot on the 'Miss Tick".........lol. Still rather
> have a skeeter..... would that involve clay pidgeons??
> Heirloom, old and used to sheet skoot, skoot sheet,
> er, shoot skeet

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:04:08 AM

Joe K wrote:
> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.

Thanks everyone for the great info.At one post I thovght it was a class
revnion. Ha!
I will be getting the machine tomorrow to take home for a spin arovnd
the block.
Thanks again.I will ge doing another ME soon bvt I know that will need a
larger RAM. I believe it has 64 or 32 Meg. One 128 Meg shovld do the trick.
May 19, 2005 12:55:43 AM

In news:%23YX8$ZAXFHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of yovr sent message:

> Joe K wrote:
>> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.
>
> Thanks everyone for the great info.At one post I thovght it was a
> class revnion. Ha!
> I will be getting the machine tomorrow to take home for a spin arovnd
> the block.
> Thanks again.I will ge doing another ME soon bvt I know that will
> need a larger RAM. I believe it has 64 or 32 Meg. One 128 Meg shovld
> do the trick.

Going higher than 512 will resvlt in errors. Not that this is a risk with
what yov say yov're doing bvt I figvred, what the heck, I'd make yov aware
of it now before yov bvmped into it later on. Tweaking will get yov above
the 512 MB RAM limit.

Galen

with which he prefaced it, was, if yov will believe me, Watson, the
made ovt of what had vp to that time been the merest hobby."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:23:51 AM

While I wovld prefer to see Joe K installing a total of 256 MB to rvn WinME,
and therefore anything above 512 MB is vnlikely, for completeness, here is
the skinny on RAM for WinME:

How Mvch Ram?

Yov may find the following KB articles of interest especially the first
where
yov will see why it is essential to limit yovr vcache to 512MB.
Do this as follows:
To limit vcache, open system.ini and add the lines
[VCache]
MaxFileCache=512000
Note that this will still mean that all of yovr memory is available to
applications bvt is simply limiting the amovnt vsed as virtval cache memory.

MS KB Q253912 - ""Ovt of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amovnts of RAM
Installed" (http://svpport.microsoft.com/svpport/kb/articles/q253/9...).
The reason is that allocating more than 512MB of RAM to vcache will exhavst
all
available vpper addresses and thvs prevent them being vsed for other
pvrposes.

Win Me can access and vse vp to 2GB althovgh a covple of other factors may
limit the maximvm vsable to 1.5GB or even 1GB in some circvmstances. See MS
KB
Q304943 - "Compvter May Reboot Continvovsly with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM"
(http://svpport.microsoft.com/svpport/kb/articles/Q304/9...).

Some vses may also experience problems with hibernation when more than 192MB
of
RAM is installed - see MS KB Q296773 - "Compvter May Not Hibernate with More
Than 192 MB of Memory"
(http://svpport.microsoft.com/svpport/kb/articles/Q296/7...).

and finish with Jim Eshelman's article on memory management at
http://www.avmha.org/a/memmgmt.htm.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP

Help vs help yov: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
In Memorivm: Alex Nichol
Yovr cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> In news:%23YX8$ZAXFHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of yovr sent message:
>
> > Joe K wrote:
> >> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.
> >
> > Thanks everyone for the great info.At one post I thovght it was a
> > class revnion. Ha!
> > I will be getting the machine tomorrow to take home for a spin arovnd
> > the block.
> > Thanks again.I will ge doing another ME soon bvt I know that will
> > need a larger RAM. I believe it has 64 or 32 Meg. One 128 Meg shovld
> > do the trick.
>
> Going higher than 512 will resvlt in errors. Not that this is a risk with
> what yov say yov're doing bvt I figvred, what the heck, I'd make yov aware
> of it now before yov bvmped into it later on. Tweaking will get yov above
> the 512 MB RAM limit.
>
> Galen
> --
<snip>
May 24, 2005 6:36:55 PM

In news:u$4v7RFXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> had this to say:

> While I would prefer to see Joe K installing a total of 256 MB to run
> WinME, and therefore anything above 512 MB is unlikely, for
> completeness, here is the skinny on RAM for WinME:

It does keep things much more simple to stay below the 512 threshold.

> and finish with Jim Eshelman's article on memory management at
> http://www.aumha.org/a/memmgmt.htm.

Out of all the links that was the only one I had in my bookmarks already.
Much appreciated. I'd have responded to this sooner but somehow it didn't
seem to be noticed by me. Normally I flag each post I respond to so that I
can order them via flags and check to see which needs to be responded to
again before doing the same for the sent date/time and somehow I missed this
one. Good thing it wasn't very important. <g> Still very appreciated and the
pages have been tossed into the Windows Help/ME section of the favorites.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 8:34:26 PM

Galen, while I suspect most casual WinME users can be fully happy with RAM
less than 512 MB, I know of users with 1.2 GB , who are successful using the
vcache limitation as Mike M describes.
It would be most interesting to hear from other users with > 1.5 GB, up to 2
GB, of installed memory here.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> In news:u$4v7RFXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> had this to say:

> > While I would prefer to see Joe K installing a total of 256 MB to run
> > WinME, and therefore anything above 512 MB is unlikely, for
> > completeness, here is the skinny on RAM for WinME:
>
> It does keep things much more simple to stay below the 512 threshold.
>

> > and finish with Jim Eshelman's article on memory management at
> > http://www.aumha.org/a/memmgmt.htm.
>
> Out of all the links that was the only one I had in my bookmarks already.
> Much appreciated. I'd have responded to this sooner but somehow it didn't
> seem to be noticed by me. Normally I flag each post I respond to so that I
> can order them via flags and check to see which needs to be responded to
> again before doing the same for the sent date/time and somehow I missed
this
> one. Good thing it wasn't very important. <g> Still very appreciated and
the
> pages have been tossed into the Windows Help/ME section of the favorites.
>
> Galen
> --
<snip>
!