What tools to fix ME?

I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I will
go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is loading
at startup,run anti spyware/adware ,install firewall.Also I will do
windows update.
I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
should knows about?
How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should re
install to save time.
I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
Thanks in advance for any help.
38 answers Last reply
More about what tools

    http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html
    the above site should provide you with all, or most, of the info you will
    need. The MS-MVP sites are also great references for any 'particular'
    problems. Additionally, don't forget Google Groups searches for those
    'sticky' things.
    Heirloom, old and sliding over to XP machine now

    In news:%23mvtT5OVFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

    > I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I
    > will go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
    > install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is
    > will do windows update.
    > I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
    > web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
    > should knows about?
    > How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should
    > re install to save time.
    > I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
    > I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    Well, I took about 20 minutes or so to try to find the page that detailed
    the differences between 98 and ME but I can't seem to find it on
    microsoft.com (go figure) and don't have time to go into the archives of the
    way back machine. What I did find is this:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/default.asp

    While that may not appear particularly useful at first glance there's a few
    gems there. More than that you'll find there's not a whole lot of
    differences between 98 and ME and much of what works on 98 will work on ME
    without any major issues. I guess the biggest differences way back then were
    Media Player 7 and System Restore. You'll find the registry contains the
    same familiar sections and the file system is the same so you won't be in
    for any big surprises either.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Hey Galen,
    I see you are playing in two fields now, as well. Good to see you
    again.........
    Heirloom, old and love this group

    > In news:%23mvtT5OVFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

    >> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I
    >> will go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
    >> install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is
    >> will do windows update.
    >> I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
    >> web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
    >> should knows about?
    >> How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should
    >> re install to save time.
    >> I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
    >> I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
    >> Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > Well, I took about 20 minutes or so to try to find the page that detailed
    > the differences between 98 and ME but I can't seem to find it on
    > microsoft.com (go figure) and don't have time to go into the archives of
    > the way back machine. What I did find is this:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/default.asp
    >
    > While that may not appear particularly useful at first glance there's a
    > few gems there. More than that you'll find there's not a whole lot of
    > differences between 98 and ME and much of what works on 98 will work on ME
    > without any major issues. I guess the biggest differences way back then
    > were Media Player 7 and System Restore. You'll find the registry contains
    > the same familiar sections and the file system is the same so you won't be
    > in for any big surprises either.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    Joe K:

    As you already have been told, there aren't any mjor differences between
    Win98 and WinME, except for the Media Player and System restore.
    Any Win9x product will become sluggish over time, according to the experts.
    To overcome this hurdle, you would have to install Win2000 or Linux.
    If the current installation of WinME was an upgrade from Win98, you may want
    to do a clean install instead, to remedy some of the sluggishness.
    You will have to decide the feasability of this operation.
    Hope this might help you decide in addition to the already given advice.

    Harry.

    webster72n wrote:

    > Any Win9x product will become sluggish over time

    <grin>

    not that you'd know anything about that; you always break yours long
    before it has a chance to become sluggish.
    (k, me2, granted)

    Rick

    Well that pretty well summed it up; I'd change the order a bit, though:

    Disk Cleanup:
    - Recyle Bin
    - Temp
    - (unwanted) Cookies
    - IE Temp
    - OE Maintenance

    Make sure SR folder isn't > 400MB

    Scandisk (might want to use "Surface Scan" and/or change some options)

    Screen ControlPanel/System|DeviceManager for any duplicates
    Screen Programs/... for unneeded programs and Uninstall
    Screen ControlPanel/Software/Installed for unneeded programs
    Screen MSConfig|Startup and Programs/Startup folder for unwanted items

    mild registry cleaner
    Scanreg/fix

    Any registry, etc. tweaks

    WindowsUpdate
    Anti-Ad/Spy/Virusware updates
    Driver and Software Updates

    Defrag

    Rick
    (did I miss anything?)

    Joe K wrote:
    > I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I will
    > go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
    > install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is loading
    > at startup,run anti spyware/adware ,install firewall.Also I will do
    > windows update.
    > I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
    > web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
    > should knows about?
    > How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should re
    > install to save time.
    > I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
    > I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/topics/errormsg/emresctr.asp
    http://www.aumha.org/elist.htm
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm#Select
    http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/favorites/kbasewinme.htm#kbsolveprb
    http://pc-cleanup.tripod.com/pccleanup/index.html
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/
    http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/internet_explorer.htm
    http://aumha.org/index.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/
    Just to add some interesting reading to your Me 'tuneup' quest, the above
    are some of my favorites.
    Heirloom, old and toys will be shared with those who
    respect them

    > Well that pretty well summed it up; I'd change the order a bit, though:
    >
    > Disk Cleanup:
    > - Recyle Bin
    > - Temp
    > - (unwanted) Cookies
    > - IE Temp
    > - OE Maintenance
    >
    > Make sure SR folder isn't > 400MB
    >
    > Scandisk (might want to use "Surface Scan" and/or change some options)
    >
    > Screen ControlPanel/System|DeviceManager for any duplicates
    > Screen Programs/... for unneeded programs and Uninstall
    > Screen ControlPanel/Software/Installed for unneeded programs
    > Screen MSConfig|Startup and Programs/Startup folder for unwanted items
    >
    > mild registry cleaner
    > Scanreg/fix
    >
    > Any registry, etc. tweaks
    >
    > WindowsUpdate
    > Anti-Ad/Spy/Virusware updates
    > Driver and Software Updates
    >
    > Defrag
    >

    > Rick
    > (did I miss anything?)
    >
    > Joe K wrote:
    > > I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I will
    > > go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
    > > install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is loading
    > > at startup,run anti spyware/adware ,install firewall.Also I will do
    > > windows update.
    > > I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
    > > web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
    > > should knows about?
    > > How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should re
    > > install to save time.
    > > I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
    > > I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
    > > Thanks in advance for any help.

    .... and of course timely reboots.

    Being WinME, I'd set a System Restore point first, another one after
    finishing.

    Rick

    Rick T wrote:
    > Well that pretty well summed it up; I'd change the order a bit, though:
    >
    > Disk Cleanup:
    > - Recyle Bin
    > - Temp
    > - (unwanted) Cookies
    > - IE Temp
    > - OE Maintenance
    >
    > Make sure SR folder isn't > 400MB
    >
    > Scandisk (might want to use "Surface Scan" and/or change some options)
    >
    > Screen ControlPanel/System|DeviceManager for any duplicates
    > Screen Programs/... for unneeded programs and Uninstall
    > Screen ControlPanel/Software/Installed for unneeded programs
    > Screen MSConfig|Startup and Programs/Startup folder for unwanted items
    >
    > mild registry cleaner
    > Scanreg/fix
    >
    > Any registry, etc. tweaks
    >
    > WindowsUpdate
    > Anti-Ad/Spy/Virusware updates
    > Driver and Software Updates
    >
    > Defrag
    >

    > Rick
    > (did I miss anything?)
    >
    > Joe K wrote:
    >
    >> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.They say it's sluggish.I
    >> will go there and do a scandisk and defrag first.Then I will update or
    >> install anti virus,clean temp files,clean registry,check what is
    >> will do windows update.
    >> I know win98 and all it's woes.I want to read about ME.Is there a good
    >> web page on how it runs and differs from win98? What are the woes I
    >> should knows about?
    >> How do I re install if I have any serious problems or maybe I should
    >> re install to save time.
    >> I do enjoy finding out what the problem is but time is of the essence.
    >> I have my zip disk full of tools to do the work sometime this week.
    >> Thanks in advance for any help.

    now *that*s thorough.

    Rick

    In news:%23w5H5dPVFHA.3412@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Heirloom <heirloom@void.void> had this to say:

    > Hey Galen,
    > I see you are playing in two fields now, as well. Good to see you
    > again.........
    > Heirloom, old and love this group

    LOL I'm one of the six people on the planet that loved ME. I still have it
    installed on a number of systems. I've been lurking in this group since...
    Hmm.... 2002ish? Maybe '03? It's just that the posts are usually pretty well
    covered in here and there's some that know far more than I will ever know
    about ME in here so I usually just end up lurking. I'm pretty fast with my
    typing but slow with my responding so often it's answered long before I've
    thought about what the problems might be. <g> I'm much more active in the
    security and XP groups.

    Galen (and to cite your example which I think is absolutely a riot) not so
    old and too tired to love anything other than my long lost sleep

    Sherlock Holmes

    <lol> He'll see you in there now he's joining that brigade <g> I'm just
    waiting to see if he gets in a tangle and comes up against Sarah <g>
    Joan

    In news:uu9I92WVFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> had this to say:

    > <lol> He'll see you in there now he's joining that brigade <g> I'm
    > just waiting to see if he gets in a tangle and comes up against Sarah
    > <g> Joan

    Hmm... That IS food for thought. I'm sure he'll be fine. <g>

    Actually I'm not sure how long he'll hold out in his printer battle so I'm
    expecting a version like this:

    Computer: 1
    Heirloom: 0

    The rematch will be a TKO when said box is smashed with a hammer thus the
    final result:

    Heiloom: 1
    Computer: 1
    Printer: 0

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Get Diskeeper Lite - a freeware defrag facility which really works
    well. Don't waste your time with the MS defrag tool.
    I defrag most days , it only takes a minute ot two . I haven't found
    ME getting sluggish yet after some years on this computer - maybe it's
    because I clean out anything I don't want to keep and then defrag
    before closing down.

    Diskeeper Lite, he?
    Sounds like a good idea.
    You deserve a pinstripe for it, petrolhead.
    Thank you.

    Harry.

    "petrolhead" <a@b.com> wrote in message
    > Get Diskeeper Lite - a freeware defrag facility which really works
    > well. Don't waste your time with the MS defrag tool.
    > I defrag most days , it only takes a minute ot two . I haven't found
    > ME getting sluggish yet after some years on this computer - maybe it's
    > because I clean out anything I don't want to keep and then defrag
    > before closing down.

    LOL!

    I lost track - if it's a LexMark, I'll supply the hammer!!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    In news:uj7WyfZVFHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> had this to say:

    > LOL!
    >
    > I lost track - if it's a LexMark, I'll supply the hammer!!

    Is LexMark still supplying call-home software with it's devices? I haven't
    bought a LexMark in ages. I'm surprised people still do buy them. Maybe it's
    the price? My sister bought one and it was pretty much free after rebate.
    Her idea was, and it worked for a while, to just buy a new printer when it
    ran out of ink because it was actually cheaper to buy the printer than it
    was to buy the ink.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yup, Lexmark P6250.........should have stuck with HP.
    Heirloom, old and it makes pretty pictures

    > LOL!
    >
    > I lost track - if it's a LexMark, I'll supply the hammer!!
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Actually I'm not sure how long he'll hold out in his printer battle so
    I'm
    > > expecting a version like this:
    > >
    > > Computer: 1
    > > Heirloom: 0
    > >
    > > The rematch will be a TKO when said box is smashed with a hammer thus
    the
    > > final result:
    > >
    > > Heiloom: 1
    > > Computer: 1
    > > Printer: 0
    > >
    > > Galen
    > > --
    > >
    > > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    > > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    > > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    > > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    > >
    > > Sherlock Holmes

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Sarah, what a sweet name.........are you implying that she may be a source
    of conflict?? I have noticed a considerable amount of that over there.
    Heirloom, old and too brittle to bounce

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > <lol> He'll see you in there now he's joining that brigade <g> I'm just
    > waiting to see if he gets in a tangle and comes up against Sarah <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > Galen wrote:
    > > LOL I'm one of the six people on the planet that loved ME. I still
    > > have it installed on a number of systems. I've been lurking in this
    > > group since... Hmm.... 2002ish? Maybe '03? It's just that the posts
    > > are usually pretty well covered in here and there's some that know
    > > far more than I will ever know about ME in here so I usually just end
    > > up lurking. I'm pretty fast with my typing but slow with my
    > > responding so often it's answered long before I've thought about what
    > > the problems might be. <g> I'm much more active in the security and
    > > XP groups.
    > > Galen (and to cite your example which I think is absolutely a riot)
    > > not so old and too tired to love anything other than my long lost
    > > sleep

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    The reason that DK works apparently so fast is that it uses spare CPU cycles
    (and possibly a few that aren't spare) to continually defrag in the
    background.
    Consequently, if your system is low in either resources or CPU speed, it is
    NOT to be recommended!!

    (Which does Not make a comment on how efficiently it defrags the drive, cf
    MS Defrag)

    --

    > Diskeeper Lite, he?
    > Sounds like a good idea.
    > You deserve a pinstripe for it, petrolhead.
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "petrolhead" <a@b.com> wrote in message
    >> Get Diskeeper Lite - a freeware defrag facility which really works
    >> well. Don't waste your time with the MS defrag tool.
    >> I defrag most days , it only takes a minute ot two . I haven't found
    >> ME getting sluggish yet after some years on this computer - maybe it's
    >> because I clean out anything I don't want to keep and then defrag
    >> before closing down.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    That's important to know, Noel.
    All indications are, I am in the clear.
    Thanks for the pointer.

    Harry.

    > The reason that DK works apparently so fast is that it uses spare CPU
    cycles
    > (and possibly a few that aren't spare) to continually defrag in the
    > background.
    > Consequently, if your system is low in either resources or CPU speed, it
    is
    > NOT to be recommended!!
    >
    > (Which does Not make a comment on how efficiently it defrags the drive, cf
    > MS Defrag)
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Diskeeper Lite, he?
    > > Sounds like a good idea.
    > > You deserve a pinstripe for it, petrolhead.
    > > Thank you.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "petrolhead" <a@b.com> wrote in message
    > >> Get Diskeeper Lite - a freeware defrag facility which really works
    > >> well. Don't waste your time with the MS defrag tool.
    > >> I defrag most days , it only takes a minute ot two . I haven't found
    > >> ME getting sluggish yet after some years on this computer - maybe it's
    > >> because I clean out anything I don't want to keep and then defrag
    > >> before closing down.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    DiskKeeper is what I run on my machine. However, with the addition of EZ
    Trust AV, I can no longer use the "auto defrag" feature, PMO! DK is made by
    the same folks that make the XP defragger, seems to work just fine. I am
    using version 8.2.160 and have been for a very long time.
    Heirloom, old and has some fragmented grey
    matter

    > That's important to know, Noel.
    > All indications are, I am in the clear.
    > Thanks for the pointer.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > > The reason that DK works apparently so fast is that it uses spare CPU
    > cycles
    > > (and possibly a few that aren't spare) to continually defrag in the
    > > background.
    > > Consequently, if your system is low in either resources or CPU speed, it
    > is
    > > NOT to be recommended!!
    > >
    > > (Which does Not make a comment on how efficiently it defrags the drive,
    cf
    > > MS Defrag)
    > >

    > > --
    > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >
    > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Diskeeper Lite, he?
    > > > Sounds like a good idea.
    > > > You deserve a pinstripe for it, petrolhead.
    > > > Thank you.
    > > >
    > > > Harry.
    > > >

    > > > "petrolhead" <a@b.com> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ROFL
    Somehow I think he may come out on top, he's already got an idea what it's
    like in the XP ng's <g>
    Joan

    Galen wrote:

    > Hmm... That IS food for thought. I'm sure he'll be fine. <g>
    >
    > Actually I'm not sure how long he'll hold out in his printer battle
    > so I'm expecting a version like this:
    >
    > Computer: 1
    > Heirloom: 0
    >
    > The rematch will be a TKO when said box is smashed with a hammer thus
    > the final result:
    >
    > Heiloom: 1
    > Computer: 1
    > Printer: 0
    >
    > Galen
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    In news:uzHO2LaVFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> had this to say:

    > ROFL
    > Somehow I think he may come out on top, he's already got an idea what
    > it's like in the XP ng's <g>
    > Joan

    They're animals... <g> Oh, wait... I'm in there...

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> Are they that bad.
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > LOL!
    >
    > I lost track - if it's a LexMark, I'll supply the hammer!!

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Heirloom:
    By the looks of it, I can't use the "DisKeeper".
    After going through the defrag process, the dreaded termination by server
    message came back to my OE.
    I used SR twice to get back to before DK, just to be sure.
    Why it's giving me trouble, I don't know, because it seemed to work very
    nicely and is easy to operate. But I hate that message and was glad to be
    rid of it through some tricky maneuvering.
    Now I must do without DK.

    Harry.

    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.invalid> wrote in message
    > DiskKeeper is what I run on my machine. However, with the addition of EZ
    > Trust AV, I can no longer use the "auto defrag" feature, PMO! DK is made
    by
    > the same folks that make the XP defragger, seems to work just fine. I am
    > using version 8.2.160 and have been for a very long time.
    > Heirloom, old and has some fragmented grey
    > matter
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > That's important to know, Noel.
    > > All indications are, I am in the clear.
    > > Thanks for the pointer.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > The reason that DK works apparently so fast is that it uses spare CPU
    > > cycles
    > > > (and possibly a few that aren't spare) to continually defrag in the
    > > > background.
    > > > Consequently, if your system is low in either resources or CPU speed,
    it
    > > is
    > > > NOT to be recommended!!
    > > >
    > > > (Which does Not make a comment on how efficiently it defrags the
    drive,
    > cf
    > > > MS Defrag)
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > > >
    > > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > > >
    > > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > > >
    > > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    > NG's
    > > >
    > > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

    > it's

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    No - they're worse!

    --

    > <lol> Are they that bad.
    > Joan
    >
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >> LOL!
    >>
    >> I lost track - if it's a LexMark, I'll supply the hammer!!

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ROFL
    But there are always exceptions to the rules <g>
    Joan

    Galen wrote:

    > They're animals... <g> Oh, wait... I'm in there...
    >
    > Galen
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ROFL
    May be sweet if she were using that name in there but just look out for
    Miss Tick <g>
    Joan

    heirloom wrote:
    > Sarah, what a sweet name.........are you implying that she may be a
    > source of conflict?? I have noticed a considerable amount of that
    > over there. Heirloom, old and too brittle to bounce

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    GROAN!! *Mystic*, eh? (Miss Tick)

    What group is this so that I can have a look....the New Users one?? Looked
    on that one for a Sarah, but she wasn't on there.

    Off for my morning coffee......Heather (the real Oracle....lol)

    > ROFL
    > May be sweet if she were using that name in there but just look out for
    > Miss Tick <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > heirloom wrote:
    > > Sarah, what a sweet name.........are you implying that she may be a
    > > source of conflict?? I have noticed a considerable amount of that
    > > over there. Heirloom, old and too brittle to bounce

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I think she's in most of them, Miss Perspicacia Tick <g> although quite
    often her posts are civilised and helpful.
    Joan

    Heather wrote:
    > GROAN!! *Mystic*, eh? (Miss Tick)
    >
    > What group is this so that I can have a look....the New Users one??
    > Looked on that one for a Sarah, but she wasn't on there.
    >
    > Off for my morning coffee......Heather (the real Oracle....lol)

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    In news:%234XK1ShVFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> had this to say:

    > ROFL
    > But there are always exceptions to the rules <g>
    > Joan

    *growls and bites a random ankle*

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Oh, figgy, good shot on the 'Miss Tick".........lol. Still rather have a
    skeeter..... would that involve clay pidgeons??
    Heirloom, old and used to sheet skoot, skoot sheet, er,
    shoot skeet

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > GROAN!! *Mystic*, eh? (Miss Tick)
    >
    > What group is this so that I can have a look....the New Users one??
    Looked
    > on that one for a Sarah, but she wasn't on there.
    >
    > Off for my morning coffee......Heather (the real Oracle....lol)
    >
    > "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > ROFL
    > > May be sweet if she were using that name in there but just look out for
    > > Miss Tick <g>
    > > Joan
    > >

    > > heirloom wrote:
    > > > Sarah, what a sweet name.........are you implying that she may be a
    > > > source of conflict?? I have noticed a considerable amount of that
    > > > over there. Heirloom, old and too brittle to bounce

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Are your fingers falling off the keys again <vbg>
    Joan

    heirloom wrote:
    > Oh, figgy, good shot on the 'Miss Tick".........lol. Still rather
    > have a skeeter..... would that involve clay pidgeons??
    > Heirloom, old and used to sheet skoot, skoot sheet,
    > er, shoot skeet

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Joe K wrote:
    > I will be helping someone with their ME OS.

    Thanks everyone for the great info.At one post I thovght it was a class
    revnion. Ha!
    I will be getting the machine tomorrow to take home for a spin arovnd
    the block.
    Thanks again.I will ge doing another ME soon bvt I know that will need a
    larger RAM. I believe it has 64 or 32 Meg. One 128 Meg shovld do the trick.
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    In news:%23YX8$ZAXFHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

    My reply is at the bottom of yovr sent message:

    > Joe K wrote:
    >> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.
    >
    > Thanks everyone for the great info.At one post I thovght it was a
    > class revnion. Ha!
    > I will be getting the machine tomorrow to take home for a spin arovnd
    > the block.
    > Thanks again.I will ge doing another ME soon bvt I know that will
    > need a larger RAM. I believe it has 64 or 32 Meg. One 128 Meg shovld
    > do the trick.

    Going higher than 512 will resvlt in errors. Not that this is a risk with
    what yov say yov're doing bvt I figvred, what the heck, I'd make yov aware
    of it now before yov bvmped into it later on. Tweaking will get yov above
    the 512 MB RAM limit.

    Galen

    with which he prefaced it, was, if yov will believe me, Watson, the
    made ovt of what had vp to that time been the merest hobby."

    Sherlock Holmes
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    While I wovld prefer to see Joe K installing a total of 256 MB to rvn WinME,
    and therefore anything above 512 MB is vnlikely, for completeness, here is
    the skinny on RAM for WinME:

    How Mvch Ram?

    Yov may find the following KB articles of interest especially the first
    where
    yov will see why it is essential to limit yovr vcache to 512MB.
    Do this as follows:
    To limit vcache, open system.ini and add the lines
    [VCache]
    MaxFileCache=512000
    Note that this will still mean that all of yovr memory is available to
    applications bvt is simply limiting the amovnt vsed as virtval cache memory.

    MS KB Q253912 - ""Ovt of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amovnts of RAM
    Installed" (http://svpport.microsoft.com/svpport/kb/articles/q253/9/12.asp).
    The reason is that allocating more than 512MB of RAM to vcache will exhavst
    all
    available vpper addresses and thvs prevent them being vsed for other
    pvrposes.

    Win Me can access and vse vp to 2GB althovgh a covple of other factors may
    limit the maximvm vsable to 1.5GB or even 1GB in some circvmstances. See MS
    KB
    Q304943 - "Compvter May Reboot Continvovsly with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM"
    (http://svpport.microsoft.com/svpport/kb/articles/Q304/9/43.ASP).

    Some vses may also experience problems with hibernation when more than 192MB
    of
    RAM is installed - see MS KB Q296773 - "Compvter May Not Hibernate with More
    Than 192 MB of Memory"
    (http://svpport.microsoft.com/svpport/kb/articles/Q296/7/73.ASP).

    and finish with Jim Eshelman's article on memory management at
    http://www.avmha.org/a/memmgmt.htm.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP

    Help vs help yov: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    In Memorivm: Alex Nichol
    Yovr cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > In news:%23YX8$ZAXFHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:
    >
    > My reply is at the bottom of yovr sent message:
    >
    > > Joe K wrote:
    > >> I will be helping someone with their ME OS.
    > >
    > > Thanks everyone for the great info.At one post I thovght it was a
    > > class revnion. Ha!
    > > I will be getting the machine tomorrow to take home for a spin arovnd
    > > the block.
    > > Thanks again.I will ge doing another ME soon bvt I know that will
    > > need a larger RAM. I believe it has 64 or 32 Meg. One 128 Meg shovld
    > > do the trick.
    >
    > Going higher than 512 will resvlt in errors. Not that this is a risk with
    > what yov say yov're doing bvt I figvred, what the heck, I'd make yov aware
    > of it now before yov bvmped into it later on. Tweaking will get yov above
    > the 512 MB RAM limit.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    <snip>
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    In news:u$4v7RFXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> had this to say:

    > While I would prefer to see Joe K installing a total of 256 MB to run
    > WinME, and therefore anything above 512 MB is unlikely, for
    > completeness, here is the skinny on RAM for WinME:

    It does keep things much more simple to stay below the 512 threshold.

    > and finish with Jim Eshelman's article on memory management at
    > http://www.aumha.org/a/memmgmt.htm.

    Out of all the links that was the only one I had in my bookmarks already.
    Much appreciated. I'd have responded to this sooner but somehow it didn't
    seem to be noticed by me. Normally I flag each post I respond to so that I
    can order them via flags and check to see which needs to be responded to
    again before doing the same for the sent date/time and somehow I missed this
    one. Good thing it wasn't very important. <g> Still very appreciated and the
    pages have been tossed into the Windows Help/ME section of the favorites.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Galen, while I suspect most casual WinME users can be fully happy with RAM
    less than 512 MB, I know of users with 1.2 GB , who are successful using the
    vcache limitation as Mike M describes.
    It would be most interesting to hear from other users with > 1.5 GB, up to 2
    GB, of installed memory here.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > In news:u$4v7RFXFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> had this to say:

    > > While I would prefer to see Joe K installing a total of 256 MB to run
    > > WinME, and therefore anything above 512 MB is unlikely, for
    > > completeness, here is the skinny on RAM for WinME:
    >
    > It does keep things much more simple to stay below the 512 threshold.
    >

    > > and finish with Jim Eshelman's article on memory management at
    > > http://www.aumha.org/a/memmgmt.htm.
    >
    > Out of all the links that was the only one I had in my bookmarks already.
    > Much appreciated. I'd have responded to this sooner but somehow it didn't
    > seem to be noticed by me. Normally I flag each post I respond to so that I
    > can order them via flags and check to see which needs to be responded to
    > again before doing the same for the sent date/time and somehow I missed
    this
    > one. Good thing it wasn't very important. <g> Still very appreciated and
    the
    > pages have been tossed into the Windows Help/ME section of the favorites.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    <snip>

Windows