Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

KB828026 again and again

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Media Player
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:46:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every day... successful
every day.

I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run it in safe mode.
Didn't help. Any other ideas?

- Bill

More about : kb828026

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:48:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Bill,

See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm for a detailed procedure for
how to solve this problem.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Bill Leary <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote:

> I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every day...
> successful every day.
>
> I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run it in
> safe mode. Didn't help. Any other ideas?
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:48:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:ugpq$nPVFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm for a detailed procedure for
> how to solve this problem.

I'm stopped at step 3.
There is no "Windows Media Player Hotfix...828026..." in my add/remove programs
list.
Since I'm missing it, is it OK to pick up at step 4?

- Bill
Related resources
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 5:48:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:bLadnetBmPB9pB3fRVn-oA@giganews.com...
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> news:ugpq$nPVFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm for a detailed procedure for
> > how to solve this problem.
>
> I'm stopped at step 3.
> There is no "Windows Media Player Hotfix...828026..." in my add/remove
programs
> list.
> Since I'm missing it, is it OK to pick up at step 4?

While waiting to hear back from you, I decided to check out the registry.

I'm also missing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media
Player\SP0 mentioned in step 6.

- Bill
May 10, 2005 4:46:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Bill Leary wrote:
> I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every day...
> successful every day.
>
> I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run it in
> safe mode. Didn't help. Any other ideas?
>
> - Bill

This is caused by a corrupt/outdated WMP.DLL file(s). You will have to
delete it/them.
1. Uninstall WMP9
2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
3. Reinstall WMP.9
4. Reinstall KB828026 update
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 4:46:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 5qafk$lmn$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Bill Leary wrote:
> > I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every day...
> > successful every day.
> >
> > I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run it in
> > safe mode. Didn't help. Any other ideas?
>
> This is caused by a corrupt/outdated WMP.DLL file(s). You will have to
> delete it/them.
> 1. Uninstall WMP9
> 2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
> 3. Reinstall WMP.9
> 4. Reinstall KB828026 update

Did that, didn't work... the first two times. After step 1, I went through and
manually killed out WMP9, installed, rebooted, and applied KB828026 *before* the
other WMP critical update, and that worked. Why it should have made a
difference, I can't say, but it's clean now.

- Bill
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:00:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Bill,

Just continue through steps 7 to 12.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Bill Leary <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote:

> While waiting to hear back from you, I decided to check out the
> registry.
>
> I'm also missing
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media
> Player\SP0 mentioned in step 6.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:00:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:o m1nfBWVFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Just continue through steps 7 to 12.

Are these XP instructions? My windows setup doesn't match their description,
either as to how to get into it or where to find WMP. The only "Media Player" I
could find was under Multimedia. And claimed it was "Media Player 1." I
un-installed it anyway. And still no joy.

What DID do the trick, it seems, was to apply KB828026 before the other critical
update for WMP9. When I did them together it never seemed to be happy about
KB828026.

I'd also manualy deleted most of WMP9 (it's folder inProgram Files) before the
try that worked, but I'm not confident that helped, since the directory after
installing WMP9 appeared identical (same # of files, same space used) as the one
I had before.

And even now, I don't see WMP9 in Windows Setup or KB828026 in Add/Remove
programs.

- Bill
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 6:48:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

> Are these XP instructions?

No, They're generic.

WMP9 will not appear in Add/Remove Programs as it cannot be uninstalled
from Win Me which is why one has instead to delete all copies of wmp.dll
and then reinstall. As for any registry entries, these vary - all that
appear to be important is to delete any of those mentioned that do appear.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Bill Leary <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote:

> Are these XP instructions? My windows setup doesn't match their
> description, either as to how to get into it or where to find WMP.
> The only "Media Player" I could find was under Multimedia. And
> claimed it was "Media Player 1." I un-installed it anyway. And
> still no joy.
>
> What DID do the trick, it seems, was to apply KB828026 before the
> other critical update for WMP9. When I did them together it never
> seemed to be happy about KB828026.
>
> I'd also manualy deleted most of WMP9 (it's folder inProgram Files)
> before the try that worked, but I'm not confident that helped, since
> the directory after installing WMP9 appeared identical (same # of
> files, same space used) as the one I had before.
>
> And even now, I don't see WMP9 in Windows Setup or KB828026 in
> Add/Remove programs.
>
> - Bill
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:17:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:uYwzPdWVFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Are these XP instructions?
> No, They're generic.

Well, I asked because...

> WMP9 will not appear in Add/Remove Programs

I know. I apparently phrased that poorly. The instructions say:

4. Still in Add/Remove Programs.
Click "Add/Remove Windows Components" on the left side.

I don't have an "Add/Remove Windows Components" on the left side of my
Add/Remove programs.

Uncheck "Windows Media Player"

And I didn't find any "Windows Media Player" anywhere. I only found "Media
Player 1" under "Multimedia" under the Windows Setup tab in Add/Remove Programs

I also wondered because when I clicked the title, which is a hot link, it took
me to a MSKB page where the "Applies to" only mentions Windows XP, and the
"Back-up the registry" link goes to another which has an "Applies to" restricted
to XP and Server 2000.

> as it cannot be uninstalled
> from Win Me which is why one has instead to delete all copies of wmp.dll
> and then reinstall. As for any registry entries, these vary - all that
> appear to be important is to delete any of those mentioned that do appear.

I'd hoped that would be the case.

- Bill
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:15:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Bill, I have the same problem and I'd like to follow your solution.
How did you
manually kill out WMP9? Delete the folders and wmp.dll? You say you
"installed, rebooted, and applied KB828026 before the other WMP
critical update, and that worked." The only critical update I have is
KB828026. What other critical update?

Bill Leary wrote:
> "Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D 5qafk$lmn$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> > Bill Leary wrote:
> > > I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every day...
> > > successful every day.
> > >
> > > I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run it in
> > > safe mode. Didn't help. Any other ideas?
> >
> > This is caused by a corrupt/outdated WMP.DLL file(s). You will have to
> > delete it/them.
> > 1. Uninstall WMP9
> > 2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
> > 3. Reinstall WMP.9
> > 4. Reinstall KB828026 update
>
> Did that, didn't work... the first two times. After step 1, I went through and
> manually killed out WMP9, installed, rebooted, and applied KB828026 *before* the
> other WMP critical update, and that worked. Why it should have made a
> difference, I can't say, but it's clean now.
>
> - Bill
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 10:29:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

<irvingr5@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:1117156544.067286.121040@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Bill, I have the same problem and I'd like to follow your solution.
> How did you
> manually kill out WMP9? Delete the folders and wmp.dll?

Yes.

> You say you
> "installed, rebooted, and applied KB828026 before the other WMP
> critical update, and that worked." The only critical update I have is
> KB828026. What other critical update?

After installing WMP9 when I ran Windows Update it showed me at least two, maybe
three, feature and/or security updates which had to be installed. The second or
third was KB828026. I applied that one first, then let it do the others. When
I did it the other way around, which is what it wanted to do, it didn't work. I
don't know why you're not showing more than one

And for that matter, I was never POSITIVE it was the install order that did the
trick since I did the manual kill out during the same attempt.

Note that I *did* Uninstall via Add/Remove programs BEFORE I went and deleted
everything I could find WMP9 related.

- Bill
May 27, 2005 7:37:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I don't have Windows Media Player in the Add/Remove. I have two critical
updates, the other one other than KB 837009 is an OE security patch, KB
837009. Let me see if I got this right. First I remove everything I can
find on WMP, then reboot, then go to WU and install KB 828026, then reboot,
then install the other one, and then I can re-download WMP?
"Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:8KadnQEpNYblawvfRVn-iA@giganews.com...
> <irvingr5@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:1117156544.067286.121040@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Bill, I have the same problem and I'd like to follow your solution.
> > How did you
> > manually kill out WMP9? Delete the folders and wmp.dll?
>
> Yes.
>
> > You say you
> > "installed, rebooted, and applied KB828026 before the other WMP
> > critical update, and that worked." The only critical update I have is
> > KB828026. What other critical update?
>
> After installing WMP9 when I ran Windows Update it showed me at least two,
maybe
> three, feature and/or security updates which had to be installed. The
second or
> third was KB828026. I applied that one first, then let it do the others.
When
> I did it the other way around, which is what it wanted to do, it didn't
work. I
> don't know why you're not showing more than one
>
> And for that matter, I was never POSITIVE it was the install order that
did the
> trick since I did the manual kill out during the same attempt.
>
> Note that I *did* Uninstall via Add/Remove programs BEFORE I went and
deleted
> everything I could find WMP9 related.
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:52:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:uCpKfNvYFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I don't have Windows Media Player in the Add/Remove.

It's under the Windows Setup tab.

> I have two critical
> updates, the other one other than KB 837009 is an OE security patch, KB
> 837009. Let me see if I got this right. First I remove everything I can
> find on WMP, then reboot, then go to WU and install KB 828026, then reboot,
> then install the other one, and then I can re-download WMP?'

The procedure I tried to follow was this, recommended by somone else:

This is caused by a corrupt/outdated WMP.DLL file(s). You will
have to delete it/them.
1. Uninstall WMP9
2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
3. Reinstall WMP.9
4. Reinstall KB828026 update

What I did that was different was to effectively add some steps:
1. Uninstall WMP9
1.1 Manually deleted anything WMP9 related.
2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
2.5 Reboot
3. Reinstall WMP.9
3.5 Reboot
4. Reinstall KB828026 update
4.5 Reboot
5 Do any other WU updates

I can't say why these changes helped, and I'm not sure I needed them all.

Note also that I didn't find Media Player 9 in Add/Remove Programs -> Windows
Setup. The instructions I used said I was supposed to, but it wasn't there for
me. What I *did* find was Media Player 1 (or something like that) which I *did*
tell it to remove.

- Bill
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:29:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

The other WMP-related Hotfix is 885492.
This will update the version of WMP.DLL (but no other file) to v9.0.0.3250


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
news:ifydnRaZPbw3FQrfRVn-oA@giganews.com...
> "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:uCpKfNvYFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> I don't have Windows Media Player in the Add/Remove.
>
> It's under the Windows Setup tab.
>
>> I have two critical
>> updates, the other one other than KB 837009 is an OE security patch, KB
>> 837009. Let me see if I got this right. First I remove everything I can
>> find on WMP, then reboot, then go to WU and install KB 828026, then
>> reboot,
>> then install the other one, and then I can re-download WMP?'
>
> The procedure I tried to follow was this, recommended by somone else:
>
> This is caused by a corrupt/outdated WMP.DLL file(s). You will
> have to delete it/them.
> 1. Uninstall WMP9
> 2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
> 3. Reinstall WMP.9
> 4. Reinstall KB828026 update
>
> What I did that was different was to effectively add some steps:
> 1. Uninstall WMP9
> 1.1 Manually deleted anything WMP9 related.
> 2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
> 2.5 Reboot
> 3. Reinstall WMP.9
> 3.5 Reboot
> 4. Reinstall KB828026 update
> 4.5 Reboot
> 5 Do any other WU updates
>
> I can't say why these changes helped, and I'm not sure I needed them all.
>
> Note also that I didn't find Media Player 9 in Add/Remove Programs ->
> Windows
> Setup. The instructions I used said I was supposed to, but it wasn't
> there for
> me. What I *did* find was Media Player 1 (or something like that) which I
> *did*
> tell it to remove.
>
> - Bill
>
>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:31:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:29:11 +0100, "Noel Paton"

>The other WMP-related Hotfix is 885492.
>This will update the version of WMP.DLL (but no other file) to v9.0.0.3250

A question about Windows Media Player: Does installing a new version
preserve the user settings from the old version?



>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:31:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Most of the time, yes - but there have been issues with certain versions -
suggest you ask Mike M for details, as he hit one of the snags the other day
(IIRC, upgrading from v7 to v9 in ME)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:ut9j91lmno9jk70vqhqs6sllj1jhs7ddd2@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:29:11 +0100, "Noel Paton"
>
>>The other WMP-related Hotfix is 885492.
>>This will update the version of WMP.DLL (but no other file) to v9.0.0.3250
>
> A question about Windows Media Player: Does installing a new version
> preserve the user settings from the old version?
>
>
>
>>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
> Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
> better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
>>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:50:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

It was a v8 to v9 update but any further comment I make will be extremely
biased as to put it politely I loath wmp9 and think it just further
compounds the disaster that wmp has become since it went all eye candy in
wmp7. The sooner I can get my hands on an EC version of XP that excludes
wmp the better.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Most of the time, yes - but there have been issues with certain
> versions - suggest you ask Mike M for details, as he hit one of the
> snags the other day (IIRC, upgrading from v7 to v9 in ME)
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:50:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I'm not sure I fully understand you, Mike.
Maybe it's an "across the pond" thing?
Can you restate your opinion a little less ambiguously? <vbg>

--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:eQMFF2EZFHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> It was a v8 to v9 update but any further comment I make will be extremely
> biased as to put it politely I loath wmp9 and think it just further
> compounds the disaster that wmp has become since it went all eye candy in
> wmp7. The sooner I can get my hands on an EC version of XP that excludes
> wmp the better.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
> > Most of the time, yes - but there have been issues with certain
> > versions - suggest you ask Mike M for details, as he hit one of the
> > snags the other day (IIRC, upgrading from v7 to v9 in ME)
>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 9:23:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Jack,

With respect if you don't understand the word LOATHE I'm sure that
Webster's will help you out. <vbg>

My reference to an EC copy of XP without WMP is because Microsoft are
obliged to offer customers in the European Community XP without the junk
that is WMP9 included. To date they have failed to do so and are, rightly
IMO, paying significant financial penalties as a result.
--
Mike


Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure I fully understand you, Mike.
> Maybe it's an "across the pond" thing?
> Can you restate your opinion a little less ambiguously? <vbg>
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:21:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Before you start loathing me, I'll look into it! <bg>

Re: MS, WMP, & the EC. A minimum requirement to be a good citizen is to
obey the law. This is not difficult to understand.

(Of course, I live in a country where almost the entire current national
government and most of the corporate elite don't have a clue, or, if they
do, any intention of complying. The US is at a nadir in ethical and legal
conduct in our history, one of several, to be sure, but perhaps the worst.
Cf. "Bribes", by John T. Noonan, Jr. {1984} )

I hope you are feeling somewhat better, as summer is just beginning here,
after a very wet and cold spring.
--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:exYz$qGZFHA.3780@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Jack,
>
> With respect, if you don't understand the word LOATHE, I'm sure that
> Webster's will help you out. <vbg>
>
> My reference to an EC copy of XP without WMP is because Microsoft are
> obliged to offer customers in the European Community XP without the junk
> that is WMP9 included. To date they have failed to do so and are, rightly
> IMO, paying significant financial penalties as a result.
> --
> Mike
>
>
> Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure I fully understand you, Mike.
> > Maybe it's an "across the pond" thing?
> > Can you restate your opinion a little less ambiguously? <vbg>
>
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:26:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

What a coincidence!


"Microsoft to change Windows over antitrust concerns"
By Bloomberg News | June 2, 2005
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2005...

"As part of its antitrust settlement with the government and 17 states,
Microsoft agreed to give consumers the choice of removing links to Internet
Explorer if they want to use an alternate Web browser. The company also
agreed to give consumers the same choice to remove links to programs such as
Windows Media Player or the Outlook Express e-mail program. "

"These changes ''will help ensure that Windows respects users' middleware
preferences, as required by the final judgments," the government said in the
joint filing with Microsoft.

Microsoft said in its portion of the court filing that ''while issues
inevitably will arise, Microsoft has worked diligently and cooperatively to
respond to and resolve all inquiries" from the government. "

The quotes above are only a part of the Bloomberg News article.
--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
news:eOTgQweZFHA.1092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Before you start loathing me, I'll look into it! <bg>
>
> Re: MS, WMP, & the EC. A minimum requirement to be a good citizen is to
> obey the law. This is not difficult to understand.
>
> (Of course, I live in a country where almost the entire current national
> government and most of the corporate elite don't have a clue, or, if they
> do, any intention of complying. The US is at a nadir in ethical and legal
> conduct in our history, one of several, to be sure, but perhaps the worst.
> Cf. "Bribes", by John T. Noonan, Jr. {1984} )
>
> I hope you are feeling somewhat better, as summer is just beginning here,
> after a very wet and cold spring.
> --
> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> news:exYz$qGZFHA.3780@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Jack,
> >
> > With respect, if you don't understand the word LOATHE, I'm sure that
> > Webster's will help you out. <vbg>
> >
> > My reference to an EC copy of XP without WMP is because Microsoft are
> > obliged to offer customers in the European Community XP without the junk
> > that is WMP9 included. To date they have failed to do so and are,
rightly
> > IMO, paying significant financial penalties as a result.
> > --
> > Mike
> >
> >
> > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure I fully understand you, Mike.
> > > Maybe it's an "across the pond" thing?
> > > Can you restate your opinion a little less ambiguously? <vbg>
> >
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 6:38:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Bill Leary" wrote:
> I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every
> day... successful
> every day.
>
> I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run
> it in safe mode.
> Didn't help. Any other ideas?
>
> - Bill

I don’t know if the suggested fixes on this KB828026 problem worked
but I found the fix. It’s a simple editing of the Registry. Backup
your registry first.

Start/Run and type Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media Player\wm828026
Modify the "PlayerVersion" from 6.4 to 9
Close Regedit and your done.

Go to Windows Update and verify if the KB828026 Critical Update is
still present.

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-KB82802...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1710169
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:32:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"GeeZee" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
news:3_1710169_0d36f1f3302925d62c5d4ffb4538d6db@windowsforumz.com...
> "Bill Leary" wrote:
> > I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every
> > day... successful
> > every day.
> >
> > I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run
> > it in safe mode.
> > Didn't help. Any other ideas?
> >
> > - Bill
>
> I don't know if the suggested fixes on this KB828026 problem worked
> but I found the fix. It's a simple editing of the Registry. Backup
> your registry first.
>
> Start/Run and type Regedit
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media Player\wm828026
> Modify the "PlayerVersion" from 6.4 to 9
> Close Regedit and your done.
>
> Go to Windows Update and verify if the KB828026 Critical Update is
> still present.

Thanks... but I fixed this weeks ago.

Got a suggestion from someone on a procedure. Used it. Didn't quite work, but
extending it a bit did.

- Bill
!