KB828026 again and again

I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every day... successful
every day.

I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run it in safe mode.
Didn't help. Any other ideas?

- Bill
23 answers Last reply
More about kb828026 again

    Bill,

    See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm for a detailed procedure for
    how to solve this problem.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    > See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm for a detailed procedure for
    > how to solve this problem.

    I'm stopped at step 3.
    There is no "Windows Media Player Hotfix...828026..." in my add/remove programs
    list.
    Since I'm missing it, is it OK to pick up at step 4?

    - Bill

    "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > See http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/828026.htm for a detailed procedure for
    > > how to solve this problem.
    >
    > I'm stopped at step 3.
    > There is no "Windows Media Player Hotfix...828026..." in my add/remove
    programs
    > list.
    > Since I'm missing it, is it OK to pick up at step 4?

    While waiting to hear back from you, I decided to check out the registry.

    I'm also missing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media
    Player\SP0 mentioned in step 6.

    - Bill

    Bill Leary wrote:
    > I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every day...
    > successful every day.
    >
    > I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run it in
    > safe mode. Didn't help. Any other ideas?
    >
    > - Bill

    This is caused by a corrupt/outdated WMP.DLL file(s). You will have to
    delete it/them.
    1. Uninstall WMP9
    2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
    3. Reinstall WMP.9
    4. Reinstall KB828026 update

    "Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Bill Leary wrote:
    > > I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every day...
    > > successful every day.
    > >
    > > I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run it in
    > > safe mode. Didn't help. Any other ideas?
    >
    > This is caused by a corrupt/outdated WMP.DLL file(s). You will have to
    > delete it/them.
    > 1. Uninstall WMP9
    > 2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
    > 3. Reinstall WMP.9
    > 4. Reinstall KB828026 update

    Did that, didn't work... the first two times. After step 1, I went through and
    manually killed out WMP9, installed, rebooted, and applied KB828026 *before* the
    other WMP critical update, and that worked. Why it should have made a
    difference, I can't say, but it's clean now.

    - Bill

    Bill,

    Just continue through steps 7 to 12.
    --

    > Just continue through steps 7 to 12.

    Are these XP instructions? My windows setup doesn't match their description,
    either as to how to get into it or where to find WMP. The only "Media Player" I
    could find was under Multimedia. And claimed it was "Media Player 1." I
    un-installed it anyway. And still no joy.

    What DID do the trick, it seems, was to apply KB828026 before the other critical
    update for WMP9. When I did them together it never seemed to be happy about
    KB828026.

    I'd also manualy deleted most of WMP9 (it's folder inProgram Files) before the
    try that worked, but I'm not confident that helped, since the directory after
    installing WMP9 appeared identical (same # of files, same space used) as the one
    I had before.

    And even now, I don't see WMP9 in Windows Setup or KB828026 in Add/Remove
    programs.

    - Bill

    > Are these XP instructions?

    No, They're generic.

    WMP9 will not appear in Add/Remove Programs as it cannot be uninstalled
    from Win Me which is why one has instead to delete all copies of wmp.dll
    and then reinstall. As for any registry entries, these vary - all that
    appear to be important is to delete any of those mentioned that do appear.
    --

    > > Are these XP instructions?
    > No, They're generic.

    Well, I asked because...

    > WMP9 will not appear in Add/Remove Programs

    I know. I apparently phrased that poorly. The instructions say:

    4. Still in Add/Remove Programs.
    Click "Add/Remove Windows Components" on the left side.

    I don't have an "Add/Remove Windows Components" on the left side of my
    Add/Remove programs.

    Uncheck "Windows Media Player"

    And I didn't find any "Windows Media Player" anywhere. I only found "Media
    Player 1" under "Multimedia" under the Windows Setup tab in Add/Remove Programs

    I also wondered because when I clicked the title, which is a hot link, it took
    me to a MSKB page where the "Applies to" only mentions Windows XP, and the
    "Back-up the registry" link goes to another which has an "Applies to" restricted
    to XP and Server 2000.

    > as it cannot be uninstalled
    > from Win Me which is why one has instead to delete all copies of wmp.dll
    > and then reinstall. As for any registry entries, these vary - all that
    > appear to be important is to delete any of those mentioned that do appear.

    I'd hoped that would be the case.

    - Bill

    Bill, I have the same problem and I'd like to follow your solution.
    How did you
    manually kill out WMP9? Delete the folders and wmp.dll? You say you
    "installed, rebooted, and applied KB828026 before the other WMP
    critical update, and that worked." The only critical update I have is
    KB828026. What other critical update?

    <irvingr5@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Bill, I have the same problem and I'd like to follow your solution.
    > How did you
    > manually kill out WMP9? Delete the folders and wmp.dll?

    Yes.

    > You say you
    > "installed, rebooted, and applied KB828026 before the other WMP
    > critical update, and that worked." The only critical update I have is
    > KB828026. What other critical update?

    After installing WMP9 when I ran Windows Update it showed me at least two, maybe
    three, feature and/or security updates which had to be installed. The second or
    third was KB828026. I applied that one first, then let it do the others. When
    I did it the other way around, which is what it wanted to do, it didn't work. I
    don't know why you're not showing more than one

    And for that matter, I was never POSITIVE it was the install order that did the
    trick since I did the manual kill out during the same attempt.

    Note that I *did* Uninstall via Add/Remove programs BEFORE I went and deleted
    everything I could find WMP9 related.

    - Bill

    I don't have Windows Media Player in the Add/Remove. I have two critical
    updates, the other one other than KB 837009 is an OE security patch, KB
    837009. Let me see if I got this right. First I remove everything I can
    find on WMP, then reboot, then go to WU and install KB 828026, then reboot,
    then install the other one, and then I can re-download WMP?

    "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I don't have Windows Media Player in the Add/Remove.

    It's under the Windows Setup tab.

    > I have two critical
    > updates, the other one other than KB 837009 is an OE security patch, KB
    > 837009. Let me see if I got this right. First I remove everything I can
    > find on WMP, then reboot, then go to WU and install KB 828026, then reboot,
    > then install the other one, and then I can re-download WMP?'

    The procedure I tried to follow was this, recommended by somone else:

    This is caused by a corrupt/outdated WMP.DLL file(s). You will
    have to delete it/them.
    1. Uninstall WMP9
    2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
    3. Reinstall WMP.9
    4. Reinstall KB828026 update

    What I did that was different was to effectively add some steps:
    1. Uninstall WMP9
    1.1 Manually deleted anything WMP9 related.
    2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
    2.5 Reboot
    3. Reinstall WMP.9
    3.5 Reboot
    4. Reinstall KB828026 update
    4.5 Reboot
    5 Do any other WU updates

    I can't say why these changes helped, and I'm not sure I needed them all.

    Note also that I didn't find Media Player 9 in Add/Remove Programs -> Windows
    Setup. The instructions I used said I was supposed to, but it wasn't there for
    me. What I *did* find was Media Player 1 (or something like that) which I *did*
    tell it to remove.

    - Bill

    The other WMP-related Hotfix is 885492.
    This will update the version of WMP.DLL (but no other file) to v9.0.0.3250

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I don't have Windows Media Player in the Add/Remove.
    >
    > It's under the Windows Setup tab.
    >
    >> I have two critical
    >> updates, the other one other than KB 837009 is an OE security patch, KB
    >> 837009. Let me see if I got this right. First I remove everything I can
    >> find on WMP, then reboot, then go to WU and install KB 828026, then
    >> reboot,
    >> then install the other one, and then I can re-download WMP?'
    >
    > The procedure I tried to follow was this, recommended by somone else:
    >
    > This is caused by a corrupt/outdated WMP.DLL file(s). You will
    > have to delete it/them.
    > 1. Uninstall WMP9
    > 2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
    > 3. Reinstall WMP.9
    > 4. Reinstall KB828026 update
    >
    > What I did that was different was to effectively add some steps:
    > 1. Uninstall WMP9
    > 1.1 Manually deleted anything WMP9 related.
    > 2. Search for and delete ALL instances of wmp.dll
    > 2.5 Reboot
    > 3. Reinstall WMP.9
    > 3.5 Reboot
    > 4. Reinstall KB828026 update
    > 4.5 Reboot
    > 5 Do any other WU updates
    >
    > I can't say why these changes helped, and I'm not sure I needed them all.
    >
    > Note also that I didn't find Media Player 9 in Add/Remove Programs ->
    > Windows
    > Setup. The instructions I used said I was supposed to, but it wasn't
    > there for
    > me. What I *did* find was Media Player 1 (or something like that) which I
    > *did*
    > tell it to remove.
    >
    > - Bill

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:29:11 +0100, "Noel Paton"

    >The other WMP-related Hotfix is 885492.
    >This will update the version of WMP.DLL (but no other file) to v9.0.0.3250

    A question about Windows Media Player: Does installing a new version
    preserve the user settings from the old version?

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

    Most of the time, yes - but there have been issues with certain versions -
    suggest you ask Mike M for details, as he hit one of the snags the other day
    (IIRC, upgrading from v7 to v9 in ME)

    --

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:ut9j91lmno9jk70vqhqs6sllj1jhs7ddd2@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:29:11 +0100, "Noel Paton"
    >
    >>The other WMP-related Hotfix is 885492.
    >>This will update the version of WMP.DLL (but no other file) to v9.0.0.3250
    >
    > A question about Windows Media Player: Does installing a new version
    > preserve the user settings from the old version?
    >

    >>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
    > Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    > better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
    >>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    It was a v8 to v9 update but any further comment I make will be extremely
    biased as to put it politely I loath wmp9 and think it just further
    compounds the disaster that wmp has become since it went all eye candy in
    wmp7. The sooner I can get my hands on an EC version of XP that excludes
    wmp the better.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > Most of the time, yes - but there have been issues with certain
    > versions - suggest you ask Mike M for details, as he hit one of the
    > snags the other day (IIRC, upgrading from v7 to v9 in ME)
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I'm not sure I fully understand you, Mike.
    Maybe it's an "across the pond" thing?
    Can you restate your opinion a little less ambiguously? <vbg>

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > It was a v8 to v9 update but any further comment I make will be extremely
    > biased as to put it politely I loath wmp9 and think it just further
    > compounds the disaster that wmp has become since it went all eye candy in
    > wmp7. The sooner I can get my hands on an EC version of XP that excludes
    > wmp the better.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Most of the time, yes - but there have been issues with certain
    > > versions - suggest you ask Mike M for details, as he hit one of the
    > > snags the other day (IIRC, upgrading from v7 to v9 in ME)

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Jack,

    With respect if you don't understand the word LOATHE I'm sure that
    Webster's will help you out. <vbg>

    My reference to an EC copy of XP without WMP is because Microsoft are
    obliged to offer customers in the European Community XP without the junk
    that is WMP9 included. To date they have failed to do so and are, rightly
    IMO, paying significant financial penalties as a result.
    --
    Mike

    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

    > I'm not sure I fully understand you, Mike.
    > Maybe it's an "across the pond" thing?
    > Can you restate your opinion a little less ambiguously? <vbg>
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Before you start loathing me, I'll look into it! <bg>

    Re: MS, WMP, & the EC. A minimum requirement to be a good citizen is to
    obey the law. This is not difficult to understand.

    (Of course, I live in a country where almost the entire current national
    government and most of the corporate elite don't have a clue, or, if they
    do, any intention of complying. The US is at a nadir in ethical and legal
    conduct in our history, one of several, to be sure, but perhaps the worst.
    Cf. "Bribes", by John T. Noonan, Jr. {1984} )

    I hope you are feeling somewhat better, as summer is just beginning here,
    after a very wet and cold spring.
    > Jack,
    >
    > With respect, if you don't understand the word LOATHE, I'm sure that
    > Webster's will help you out. <vbg>
    >
    > My reference to an EC copy of XP without WMP is because Microsoft are
    > obliged to offer customers in the European Community XP without the junk
    > that is WMP9 included. To date they have failed to do so and are, rightly
    > IMO, paying significant financial penalties as a result.
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure I fully understand you, Mike.
    > > Maybe it's an "across the pond" thing?
    > > Can you restate your opinion a little less ambiguously? <vbg>

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    What a coincidence!

    "Microsoft to change Windows over antitrust concerns"
    By Bloomberg News | June 2, 2005
    http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2005/06/02/microsoft_to_change_windows_over_antitrust_concerns/

    "As part of its antitrust settlement with the government and 17 states,
    Microsoft agreed to give consumers the choice of removing links to Internet
    Explorer if they want to use an alternate Web browser. The company also
    agreed to give consumers the same choice to remove links to programs such as
    Windows Media Player or the Outlook Express e-mail program. "

    "These changes ''will help ensure that Windows respects users' middleware
    preferences, as required by the final judgments," the government said in the
    joint filing with Microsoft.

    Microsoft said in its portion of the court filing that ''while issues
    inevitably will arise, Microsoft has worked diligently and cooperatively to
    respond to and resolve all inquiries" from the government. "

    The quotes above are only a part of the Bloomberg News article.
    > Before you start loathing me, I'll look into it! <bg>
    >
    > Re: MS, WMP, & the EC. A minimum requirement to be a good citizen is to
    > obey the law. This is not difficult to understand.
    >
    > (Of course, I live in a country where almost the entire current national
    > government and most of the corporate elite don't have a clue, or, if they
    > do, any intention of complying. The US is at a nadir in ethical and legal
    > conduct in our history, one of several, to be sure, but perhaps the worst.
    > Cf. "Bribes", by John T. Noonan, Jr. {1984} )
    >
    > I hope you are feeling somewhat better, as summer is just beginning here,
    > after a very wet and cold spring.
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > Jack,
    > >
    > > With respect, if you don't understand the word LOATHE, I'm sure that
    > > Webster's will help you out. <vbg>
    > >
    > > My reference to an EC copy of XP without WMP is because Microsoft are
    > > obliged to offer customers in the European Community XP without the junk
    > > that is WMP9 included. To date they have failed to do so and are,
    rightly
    > > IMO, paying significant financial penalties as a result.
    > > --
    > > Mike
    > >

    > > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm not sure I fully understand you, Mike.
    > > > Maybe it's an "across the pond" thing?
    > > > Can you restate your opinion a little less ambiguously? <vbg>

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Bill Leary" wrote:
    > I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every
    > day... successful
    > every day.
    >
    > I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run
    > it in safe mode.
    > Didn't help. Any other ideas?
    >
    > - Bill

    I don’t know if the suggested fixes on this KB828026 problem worked
    but I found the fix. It’s a simple editing of the Registry. Backup
    your registry first.

    Start/Run and type Regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media Player\wm828026
    Modify the "PlayerVersion" from 6.4 to 9
    Close Regedit and your done.

    Go to Windows Update and verify if the KB828026 Critical Update is
    still present.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-KB828026-ftopict371064.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1710169
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "GeeZee" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "Bill Leary" wrote:
    > > I'm getting Critical Update KB828026 for Media Player every
    > > day... successful
    > > every day.
    > >
    > > I went back and found a recommendation to download it and run
    > > it in safe mode.
    > > Didn't help. Any other ideas?
    > >
    > > - Bill
    >
    > I don't know if the suggested fixes on this KB828026 problem worked
    > but I found the fix. It's a simple editing of the Registry. Backup
    > your registry first.
    >
    > Start/Run and type Regedit
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    > SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows Media Player\wm828026
    > Modify the "PlayerVersion" from 6.4 to 9
    > Close Regedit and your done.
    >
    > Go to Windows Update and verify if the KB828026 Critical Update is
    > still present.

    Thanks... but I fixed this weeks ago.

    Got a suggestion from someone on a procedure. Used it. Didn't quite work, but
    extending it a bit did.

    - Bill

Microsoft Media Player Windows