Dell can't stop lying

natastna2

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
Hi guys, about a week ago my video card stopped working, a x700 pro and I assumed that it was to do with the fact taht it had probably overheated as I'd always had heat problems for some reason with my Dell computer. So i got a new video card a x1800xt that came iwth a temp sensor and i started noticing really high temps, I did some digging and found this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension_4700

This is the make of my computer, it turns out that the reason my GFX card stopped working is because of the computer overheating which in turn is because Dell fitted the case fan on backwards, so that it was sucking air into the computer instead of exhausting it out. Finding this out I rang Dell to get them to reimburse me for my dead card, however I couldn't get the woman in technical support to admit that the fan was the wrong way around, she said that having the fan blowing air out of the case would overheat my computer and it would "blow up" so I asked her why then does my housemates dimension 2400's fan blow air out? To this she mumbled something and tried to fob me off with some questions about my video cards and whether they were secure. I really feel like Dell owes me at least 160 pounds for the loss of my card and Wikipedia says that someone got another computer for free because it was Dell's fault. Any idea how I should handle this? I have since reversed the case fan and it's still not blowing up. :)

natastna2

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
Just rang those bastards again, got stuck in an Indian loop for 40 damned minutes, they're gonna "ring me back" will keep you informed.

roydog

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Don't feel that your the only one that is having trouble with Dell. I have been trying for 7 months to get Dell to find a way to disable the mouse pad on my $2100 Inspiron 6000. This is the most frustrating piece of crap that I have ever owned. If your thumb happens to touch the mouse pad when you type, the curser will jump to another spot in the text and type where it lands. Dell still won't admit that their engineers are incompetent.
With 5 laptops in the last 20 years and no problems with other brands, I need to be kicked for buying a Dell. In my last conversation with Dell I suggested that Mr. Dell use my Dell for a suppository and I offered to supply the vasoline.
roydog

ainkami

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
"This is the make of my computer, it turns out that the reason my GFX card stopped working is because of the computer overheating which in turn is because Dell fitted the case fan on backwards, so that it was sucking air into the computer instead of exhausting it out."

It is unlikely that a slightly warmer computer case caused by bad airflow will result in your video card overheating and dying.

Most videocards that die to overheating are the result of improper overclocking by the end user. Just because ati makes it easy to overclock with a software slider doesn't mean you should just overclock to the max. The stock vga cooler on the video card is usually only equipped to handle heat at STOCK speeds NOT OVERCLOCKED speeds.

If the video card is under warranty, see if you can exchange it for a replacement. If you want Dell to replace your video card, you would have to show them that:
*You actually have a small percentage of 4200 that have a defective fan
*The slighter higher case temperature caused by poor air flow caused a catatrophic failure of your video card (extremely unlikely)
*This is not a failure of the video card due to faulty manufacturing on the part of the VGA producer.

Like the above poster said, "Good Luck". Don't blame Dell for everything. :wink:

LinuxNewbie

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Just rang those bastards again, got stuck in an Indian loop for 40 damned minutes, they're gonna "ring me back" will keep you informed.

Natastna2 You Don’t have to Deal With Dells Outsourced India center. Here is what I Recommend, When you get India Have them transfer u to a US technician. The US will Deal with your Problems better then the Script Following Idiots in India. OH and I agree with RichPLS Demand a New XPS If you play your cards right and Stay Nice and Pleasant the Whole time a Manager of CS might just do it.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
my dad went tru something like this wiht hp- he wanted a comptuer that had an infrared port for his printer in the car- hps site said that xxxxx computers had the port so he ordered the cheapest one. No port. He called them and demanded a computer at the 550$ price that had the port- of course the cheapest one was like 1150 or something so they had to give him that :D
be presistent, they will give u a pacifier so u go away! and do NOT accept no. if you get no ask for their manager, eventually u get to corporate HP or in ur case Dell- coprate actaually seems to care about the custumer a little (either that or they want u to go away) and they try to help u out.

IAM27

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Heh, I had three Dell Technicians tell me that a 7950GX2 will work in a Dimension E510 with no problems. 100% compatible. etc, etc.... first off I doubt that the BIOS and motherboard will work with the card and second of all I know for a fact it physically won't fit inside the E510 case. Maybe I should go ahead and just order one so that I can demand they send me a computer that the card will work in... :)

Now, if your computer catches fire from the bad air flow that you have already reported to dell, *WINK WINK then not only do you have a negligent lawsuit on your hands, but a "new" dell computer...... with the case fan backwards..

Seriously though. Good Luck, it would take alot of emails to Dell VP before a reasonable resolution would be made. They teir 1-2 techs dont have the ability to help you out, just run you in circles.

MegaManExtreme2005

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hi
I feel quite sorry for the guy who's going through all this nonsense from Dell.I simply can't believe a computer company can treat consumers so poorly when they have probs.

I found a place on the net where users with complaints about poor service can go to and label the company as the "worst offender". My forum's empty but you can use that to label Dell as the worst offender. The link to my forum is in my signature.

The link's http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showforum&forumid=2

Which will take u to the consumer watch forum on their site where people discuss complaints and issues with other users. Hope this helps Cool
Good luck for that lawsuit. Very Happy