Explorer not responding problem

Often when in Windows ME Explorer my mouse seems to have no effect and when
I click Ctl Alt Delete the message is "Explorer not responding".
Please help.
Thanks in advance.
BPF
4 answers Last reply
More about explorer responding problem

    This is often caused by having shortcuts present that refer to a
    non-existent networked drive.

    You may have a virus/spyware hijack

    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

    Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    CoolWebSearch hijacker.

    Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (download it without the accompanying rubbish)

    download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    your system.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "BPF" <CHUBBYHUBBY@CAROLINA.RR.COM> wrote in message
    > Often when in Windows ME Explorer my mouse seems to have no effect and
    > when
    > I click Ctl Alt Delete the message is "Explorer not responding".
    > Please help.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > BPF

    Noel,
    I tried to download the firsst one, Stinger, but it's no longer available.
    Your thoughts.
    Thanks for your help.
    Brad

    > This is often caused by having shortcuts present that refer to a
    > non-existent networked drive.
    >
    > You may have a virus/spyware hijack
    >
    > download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    > viruses are not present on your PC
    > http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
    >
    > - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
    >
    > Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    > CoolWebSearch hijacker.
    > http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
    >
    > Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    > http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    > (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
    >
    > download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    > update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    > your system.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "BPF" <CHUBBYHUBBY@CAROLINA.RR.COM> wrote in message
    > > Often when in Windows ME Explorer my mouse seems to have no effect and
    > > when
    > > I click Ctl Alt Delete the message is "Explorer not responding".
    > > Please help.
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > > BPF

    Brad,

    You can download the latest version of Stinger (McAfee are changing its
    name as it is being targeted by some malware) from
    http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    BPF <CHUBBYHUBBY@CAROLINA.RR.COM> wrote:

    > Noel,
    > I tried to download the firsst one, Stinger, but it's no longer
    > available. Your thoughts.
    > Thanks for your help.

    Thanks, Mike (boilerplate duly changed - finally!)

    --

    > Brad,
    >
    > You can download the latest version of Stinger (McAfee are changing its
    > name as it is being targeted by some malware) from
    > http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > BPF <CHUBBYHUBBY@CAROLINA.RR.COM> wrote:
    >
    >> Noel,
    >> I tried to download the firsst one, Stinger, but it's no longer
    >> available. Your thoughts.
    >> Thanks for your help.

Windows Me Explorer Microsoft Windows