registry problem.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 11, 2005 1:59:10 PM

I have run into a series of hard drive problems that I have tried to
fix. I could not run scandisk through start up of my system. I came to
the conclusion that my best tactic was to buy a new hard drive and
install a clean install of windows me. I connect the old drive that I am

having troubles as a slave and booted on the new drive. I ran scan disk
and this seemed to clean up the problems. I booted on the old hard
drive. I then tried to upgrade my copy of Norton anti virus in order
make sure my problems were not caused by a virus. This did not work . I
could not install the upgrade. I decided that I better boot the new hard

drive with the old drive as a slave again. I installed the new version
of Norton anit virus and ran a scan of both my drives. I lot of spy ware

came up and I deleted all that i could. I then reboot trying to use the
old drive and could not. I get a windows protection fault. I can not
boot in safe mode either. I would guess that I have problems with the
registry. How can I fix this? I can still boot using the new drive with
the old drive as a slave. How can I run a diagnoistic and repair on the
registry of a slave drive? If this can't be done perhaps I should look
at building up a new registry on the new drive.. I do not want to
reinstall all my software as this is very inpractical. What is the
procedure in copying programs over one at a time so that all components
and keys are installed? I can not boot using a floppy as I don't have a
floppy drive. Is there any repair feature on the WindowsME install disk?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

BTW I posted this on another thread but we all got off the subject.

To follow up I have the following further info.

I have run scandisk (in thorough mode) on the the drive.

The drive is 40 MB

the syetem is an IBM 6300-32E

I can boot with the OEM windows install CD to a DOS prompt.

My ultimate goal is for my system to function as it was prior to the
problem.

I am not married to any one solution. If I need to migrate to a new
drive I will but I don't know how to migrate the registry.

If I try to recover the old hard drive(which sounds like the easy way) I
don't know how to restore my registry to an earier date considering I
can't boot in safe mode.

Please do not suggest I boot in safe mode. I can't boot in safe mode.
This IS THE PROBLEM. IF I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE THEN
I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM.

More about : registry problem

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:36:01 PM

Mr. Garron, please return, at least once, to your original thread, where I
have posted a lengthly response just a few minutes after you abandoned that
thread for this new post. Please respond there until my aid is no further
use to you.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Mark Garron" <caia@xigo.com> wrote in message
> I have run into a series of hard drive problems that I have tried to
> fix. I could not run scandisk through start up of my system. I came to
> the conclusion that my best tactic was to buy a new hard drive and
> install a clean install of windows me. I connect the old drive that I am
>
> having troubles as a slave and booted on the new drive. I ran scan disk
> and this seemed to clean up the problems. I booted on the old hard
> drive. I then tried to upgrade my copy of Norton anti virus in order
> make sure my problems were not caused by a virus. This did not work . I
> could not install the upgrade. I decided that I better boot the new hard
>
> drive with the old drive as a slave again. I installed the new version
> of Norton anit virus and ran a scan of both my drives. I lot of spy ware
>
> came up and I deleted all that i could. I then reboot trying to use the
> old drive and could not. I get a windows protection fault. I can not
> boot in safe mode either. I would guess that I have problems with the
> registry. How can I fix this? I can still boot using the new drive with
> the old drive as a slave. How can I run a diagnoistic and repair on the
> registry of a slave drive? If this can't be done perhaps I should look
> at building up a new registry on the new drive.. I do not want to
> reinstall all my software as this is very inpractical. What is the
> procedure in copying programs over one at a time so that all components
> and keys are installed? I can not boot using a floppy as I don't have a
> floppy drive. Is there any repair feature on the WindowsME install disk?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Mark
>
> BTW I posted this on another thread but we all got off the subject.
>
> To follow up I have the following further info.
>
> I have run scandisk (in thorough mode) on the the drive.
>
> The drive is 40 MB
>
> the syetem is an IBM 6300-32E
>
> I can boot with the OEM windows install CD to a DOS prompt.
>
> My ultimate goal is for my system to function as it was prior to the
> problem.
>
> I am not married to any one solution. If I need to migrate to a new
> drive I will but I don't know how to migrate the registry.
>
> If I try to recover the old hard drive(which sounds like the easy way) I
> don't know how to restore my registry to an earier date considering I
> can't boot in safe mode.
>
> Please do not suggest I boot in safe mode. I can't boot in safe mode.
> This IS THE PROBLEM. IF I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE THEN
> I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM.

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:42:59 PM

(I'd be inclined to back up info and proggie-install-sets onto the new
drive and do a fresh install onto the old one, but YMMV.)

After removing the new drive, boot from an EBD floppy.

(if you haven't got an EBD floppy, make one in Windows from
ControlPanel/AddRemoveSoftware|StartupDisk then remove the new drive (or
fiddle the master/slave jumpers, whatever works for you... curious, you
have both drives on the same cable?)

A:\> SCANDISK C: (might as well)

A:\> SCANREG /RESTORE
and pick a date from before you tried to update Norton; if none are
available then type

A:\> SCANREG /FIX

There's a possibility you can boot now after removing the diskette.

Rick

(Still to come: booting using progman.exe and running a System Restore..
and if that doesn't work, doing a Refresh Install)

Mark Garron wrote:
> I have run into a series of hard drive problems that I have tried to
> fix. I could not run scandisk through start up of my system. I came to
> the conclusion that my best tactic was to buy a new hard drive and
> install a clean install of windows me. I connect the old drive that I am
>
> having troubles as a slave and booted on the new drive. I ran scan disk
> and this seemed to clean up the problems. I booted on the old hard
> drive. I then tried to upgrade my copy of Norton anti virus in order
> make sure my problems were not caused by a virus. This did not work . I
> could not install the upgrade. I decided that I better boot the new hard
>
> drive with the old drive as a slave again. I installed the new version
> of Norton anit virus and ran a scan of both my drives. I lot of spy ware
>
> came up and I deleted all that i could. I then reboot trying to use the
> old drive and could not. I get a windows protection fault. I can not
> boot in safe mode either. I would guess that I have problems with the
> registry. How can I fix this? I can still boot using the new drive with
> the old drive as a slave. How can I run a diagnoistic and repair on the
> registry of a slave drive? If this can't be done perhaps I should look
> at building up a new registry on the new drive.. I do not want to
> reinstall all my software as this is very inpractical. What is the
> procedure in copying programs over one at a time so that all components
> and keys are installed? I can not boot using a floppy as I don't have a
> floppy drive. Is there any repair feature on the WindowsME install disk?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Mark
>
> BTW I posted this on another thread but we all got off the subject.
>
> To follow up I have the following further info.
>
> I have run scandisk (in thorough mode) on the the drive.
>
> The drive is 40 MB
>
> the syetem is an IBM 6300-32E
>
> I can boot with the OEM windows install CD to a DOS prompt.
>
> My ultimate goal is for my system to function as it was prior to the
> problem.
>
> I am not married to any one solution. If I need to migrate to a new
> drive I will but I don't know how to migrate the registry.
>
> If I try to recover the old hard drive(which sounds like the easy way) I
> don't know how to restore my registry to an earier date considering I
> can't boot in safe mode.
>
> Please do not suggest I boot in safe mode. I can't boot in safe mode.
> This IS THE PROBLEM. IF I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE THEN
> I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM.

May 11, 2005 7:25:07 PM

It appears to me that your main problem is that you are unable to
comprehend solutions when offered and it is yourself who then goes off on
a tangent and starts being rude to those trying to assist you.

In a nutshell you have two options:
a) Clean install Win Me to you new hard disk (which you say you have
already done) and recover to that disk your data from your old disk, or,
b) Remove the new hard disk, make the old disk active again and carry out
an in place reinstall of Win me over itself which should hopefully retain
your installed applications and data but only if the disk has no problems.
This solution would however retain all your malware including NAV which
has seemingly caused your problems to date.

If you do decide to reinstall Win Me then it is ESSENTIAL that you first
uninstall Internet Explorer 6, if installed, and rename the file
wmploc.dll to wmploc.old if you have Windows Media Player 9 installed.
The reason being that if WMP9's version of wmploc.dll is present during
the reinstall setup will throw up an error mentioning verx and if IE6 is
present Internet Explorer will become a total mess due to the reinstall
attempting to install IE5.5.

You may also want to have a look at Rob McGregor's notes on reinstalling
Win Me which can be found on Noel Paton's site at
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mark Garron <caia@xigo.com> wrote:

> I have run into a series of hard drive problems that I have tried to
> fix. I could not run scandisk through start up of my system. I came to
> the conclusion that my best tactic was to buy a new hard drive and
> install a clean install of windows me. I connect the old drive that I
> am
>
> having troubles as a slave and booted on the new drive. I ran scan
> disk and this seemed to clean up the problems. I booted on the old
> hard drive. I then tried to upgrade my copy of Norton anti virus in
> order make sure my problems were not caused by a virus. This did not
> work . I could not install the upgrade. I decided that I better boot
> the new hard
>
> drive with the old drive as a slave again. I installed the new version
> of Norton anit virus and ran a scan of both my drives. I lot of spy
> ware
>
> came up and I deleted all that i could. I then reboot trying to use
> the old drive and could not. I get a windows protection fault. I can
> not boot in safe mode either. I would guess that I have problems with
> the registry. How can I fix this? I can still boot using the new
> drive with the old drive as a slave. How can I run a diagnoistic and
> repair on the registry of a slave drive? If this can't be done
> perhaps I should look at building up a new registry on the new
> drive.. I do not want to reinstall all my software as this is very
> inpractical. What is the procedure in copying programs over one at a
> time so that all components and keys are installed? I can not boot
> using a floppy as I don't have a floppy drive. Is there any repair
> feature on the WindowsME install disk?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Mark
>
> BTW I posted this on another thread but we all got off the subject.
>
> To follow up I have the following further info.
>
> I have run scandisk (in thorough mode) on the the drive.
>
> The drive is 40 MB
>
> the syetem is an IBM 6300-32E
>
> I can boot with the OEM windows install CD to a DOS prompt.
>
> My ultimate goal is for my system to function as it was prior to the
> problem.
>
> I am not married to any one solution. If I need to migrate to a new
> drive I will but I don't know how to migrate the registry.
>
> If I try to recover the old hard drive(which sounds like the easy
> way) I don't know how to restore my registry to an earier date
> considering I can't boot in safe mode.
>
> Please do not suggest I boot in safe mode. I can't boot in safe mode.
> This IS THE PROBLEM. IF I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE
> THEN I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:25:08 PM

umm, how would you go about uninstalling WMP9 and/or IE6 from an EBD or
another HD's OS ?

Rick

Mike M wrote:
> It appears to me that your main problem is that you are unable to
> comprehend solutions when offered and it is yourself who then goes off
> on a tangent and starts being rude to those trying to assist you.
>
> In a nutshell you have two options:
> a) Clean install Win Me to you new hard disk (which you say you have
> already done) and recover to that disk your data from your old disk, or,
> b) Remove the new hard disk, make the old disk active again and carry
> out an in place reinstall of Win me over itself which should hopefully
> retain your installed applications and data but only if the disk has no
> problems. This solution would however retain all your malware including
> NAV which has seemingly caused your problems to date.
>
> If you do decide to reinstall Win Me then it is ESSENTIAL that you first
> uninstall Internet Explorer 6, if installed, and rename the file
> wmploc.dll to wmploc.old if you have Windows Media Player 9 installed.
> The reason being that if WMP9's version of wmploc.dll is present during
> the reinstall setup will throw up an error mentioning verx and if IE6 is
> present Internet Explorer will become a total mess due to the reinstall
> attempting to install IE5.5.
>
> You may also want to have a look at Rob McGregor's notes on reinstalling
> Win Me which can be found on Noel Paton's site at
> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 8:15:27 PM

Rick,

You don't need as such to uninstall WMP9 but instead rename wmploc.dll to
wmploc.old. As for removing IE6 this is more complicated but I'd probably
start by deleting the contents of the Programs Files\Internet Explorer
folder prior to the reinstall. If there were problems following the
reinstall I would then go the IEradicator route and then start over with
an IE6 SP1 install.

However personally I wouldn't dream of doing any of the above but instead
continue with my clean install on the new drive, recover the old data to
the new drive and then wipe the old drive. Something that could have all
been done days ago. :-)
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> umm, how would you go about uninstalling WMP9 and/or IE6 from an EBD
> or another HD's OS ?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 8:15:28 PM

Mike M wrote:
> Rick,
>
> You don't need as such to uninstall WMP9 but instead rename wmploc.dll
> to wmploc.old. As for removing IE6 this is more complicated but I'd
> probably start by deleting the contents of the Programs Files\Internet
> Explorer folder prior to the reinstall. If there were problems
> following the reinstall I would then go the IEradicator route and then
> start over with an IE6 SP1 install.

I disrecall (one way or the other) whether IEradicator can be run on a
non-system partition.

> However personally I wouldn't dream of doing any of the above but
> instead continue with my clean install on the new drive, recover the old
> data to the new drive and then wipe the old drive. Something that could
> have all been done days ago. :-)

me2, but I save my downloads.

Mark,
If you go for a clean install have a look at
http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm

Rick
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:37:55 PM

Jack and everyone. I am sorry I have not replied. I have been in meetings
most of the day. I will return to the post in a few hours. Great suggestions
everyone! thanks

Rick T wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > BTW I posted this on another thread but we all got off the subject.
> >
> > To follow up I have the following further info.
> >
> > I have run scandisk (in thorough mode) on the the drive.
> >
> > The drive is 40 MB
> >
> > the syetem is an IBM 6300-32E
> >
> > I can boot with the OEM windows install CD to a DOS prompt.
> >
> > My ultimate goal is for my system to function as it was prior to the
> > problem.
> >
> > I am not married to any one solution. If I need to migrate to a new
> > drive I will but I don't know how to migrate the registry.
> >
> > If I try to recover the old hard drive(which sounds like the easy way) I
> > don't know how to restore my registry to an earier date considering I
> > can't boot in safe mode.
> >
> > Please do not suggest I boot in safe mode. I can't boot in safe mode.
> > This IS THE PROBLEM. IF I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE THEN

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:55:02 PM

Mark, I suggest you take at least two days off, to recover emotionally, to
review the many links we have suggested, and to mull your several options.
I suggest you schedule Sunday for your decision, and begin the recovery on
Monday, or later, when we, the unwashed, are most available to aid you
..
You have clear recommendations from Mike M and me to choose the "clean"
install route.
Considering the recent past history of the system, this will certainly
succeed and will afford the most stable, reliable system. If someone you
know has the MS Win9X Update CD from last year, the recovery will proceed
faster. Broadband will definitely help, too. There will be additional
necessary Win Updates. This would be a good time to consider upgrading any
older hardware, too. Esp. a modern, fast HD and IDE controller system. And
if funds permit, 256 MB of ram, or more. Keep in mind about moving the swap
file to a dedicated 2.1 GB partition at the head of a second drive, too.
And as Rick T suggested,
Partition planning
http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
http://badour.freewebsites.com/html/partitions.html
http://www.newlogic.co.uk/kbase/fdisk/page1.htm
http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/dual_boot/share_par...

Be assured that whatever you decide, we stand ready to aid you in the event
something unexpected happens.
When you have the new system up and running well, repost with a request for
suggestions for backup tools and methods. The value of your system to you
and personal data will drive the best option/s.

As you have learned most grievously, System Restore is not a backup tool.

Best wishes, and don't forget to attend to the other important parts of your
life this weekend,
> [...]
> > >
> > > BTW I posted this on another thread but we all got off the subject.
> > >
> > > To follow up I have the following further info.
> > >
> > > I have run scandisk (in thorough mode) on the the drive.
> > >
> > > The drive is 40 MB
> > >
> > > the syetem is an IBM 6300-32E
> > >
> > > I can boot with the OEM windows install CD to a DOS prompt.
> > >
> > > My ultimate goal is for my system to function as it was prior to the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > I am not married to any one solution. If I need to migrate to a new
> > > drive I will but I don't know how to migrate the registry.
> > >
> > > If I try to recover the old hard drive(which sounds like the easy way)
> > > don't know how to restore my registry to an earier date considering I
> > > can't boot in safe mode.
> > >
> > > Please do not suggest I boot in safe mode. I can't boot in safe mode.
> > > This IS THE PROBLEM. IF I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO BOOT IN SAFE MODE

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 11:40:13 PM

You misread my post.

> If
> there were problems following the reinstall I would then go the
> IEradicator route and then start over with an IE6 SP1 install.

IEradicator would only be used after Win Me has been reinstalled and if
there are problems with IE. The drive would not be a non-system
partition.

Nevertheless I think the poster would be well advised to try and
understand the advice he has been repeatedly given and instead of trying
to recover a clearly trashed system concentrate on getting his new drive
up and running and then import his data from the old drive. Then having
done that acquire and learn to use a sensible backup application.
Personally I use BING, keep my system folders small and tight containing
minimal data, and can restore a BING image and be back up and running in
five to ten minutes at most. Sensible partition planning and having two
hard disks makes such a task extremely simple.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> I disrecall (one way or the other) whether IEradicator can be run on a
> non-system partition.
>
>> However personally I wouldn't dream of doing any of the above but
>> instead continue with my clean install on the new drive, recover the
>> old data to the new drive and then wipe the old drive. Something
>> that could have all been done days ago. :-)
>
> me2, but I save my downloads.
>

> Mark,
> If you go for a clean install have a look at
> http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:22:08 PM

Well what can I say. It has been a long hard road to recovery. I am not quite
back to the beginning to were I started but I am close. I seem to have a
corrupt DBX file so emails are a bit of a mess. Not sure of the rational of DBX
files. The seem to be more of a land mine for users then a convenice. From what
I gather there doesn't seem to be easy ways to migrate to a new hard drive. In
general I am am disapointed as the backup systems that I relied on seem to have
failed with ME. SCAREG could not be run which was a shock. I could not copy
over a registry from one drive to another.

Jack said it best "system restore" is not a backup tool. It is a sad comment
but true. In general best practises are not obvious or accessable. I am back to
the beginning having learned very little about prevention. If this were to
happen again I am not sure that I could do any better the next time around. In
fact I feel I would most likely be in the same boat.

I am surprised that most if not all who posted here assumed that restoring the
old drive and the installation of a new drive were mutually exclusive. I did
not look at it that way. In fact the restoration of the old drive was
instrumental in my installaation of the new drive. I could not figure out how I
could have gotten everything on the new drive without the old drive.

Mark

Jack E Martinelli wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > (I'd be inclined to back up info and proggie-install-sets onto the new
> > > drive and do a fresh install onto the old one, but YMMV.)
> > >
> > > After removing the new drive, boot from an EBD floppy.
> > >
> > > (if you haven't got an EBD floppy, make one in Windows from
> > > ControlPanel/AddRemoveSoftware|StartupDisk then remove the new drive (or
> > > fiddle the master/slave jumpers, whatever works for you... curious, you
> > > have both drives on the same cable?)
> > >
> > > A:\> SCANDISK C: (might as well)
> > >
> > > A:\> SCANREG /RESTORE
> > > and pick a date from before you tried to update Norton; if none are
> > > available then type
> > >
> > > A:\> SCANREG /FIX
> > >
> > > There's a possibility you can boot now after removing the diskette.
> > >
> > > Rick
> > >
> > > (Still to come: booting using progman.exe and running a System Restore..
> > > and if that doesn't work, doing a Refresh Install)

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:36:06 PM

While I am happy to see that you think you have made some improvements, I
have no clue as to where your "recovery" is now!

Re: your DBX files from OE. See www.insideoe.com, and esp. the "Extract from
DBX" tools to retrieve e-mails from the OE files.

A critical take home lesson here, is to have in-place before they are
needed, real backup tools and images for a successful recovery.This can
include second hard drives, with images, or a "mirrored" partition/s for
reinstallation, or removable media with images. It is best to have
rehearsed a recovery before it is critically necessary.

OTH, copying your current working C: partition to a new HD should have been
almost trivial, using the included tools, or other third-party tools. Just
replacing the original drive with the new one, jumpered correctly, should
have enabled a boot to WinME , just as seen with the original drive.

Since I last spoke with you, Mike Maltby participated in a WinME recovery
which involved extracting a copy of the three registry files, under DOS,
from a RG cab file in the System Restore archive, replacing the damaged
registry files with these copies, and successfully booting to complete the
repair.
Needless to say, this is quite amazing! All without SR or scanreg
/restore !

So, Mark, tell us a little more about your current circumstance, and any
remaining problems.

> [...]
you
> > and personal data will drive the best option/s.
> >
> > As you have learned most grievously, System Restore is not a backup
tool.

> > Best wishes, and don't forget to attend to the other important parts of
your
> > life this weekend,
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Mark Garron" <caia@xigo.com> wrote in message
> > > Jack and everyone. I am sorry I have not replied. I have been in
meetings
> > > most of the day. I will return to the post in a few hours. Great

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 9:14:21 PM

Jack,

you mention...
successful recovery.This can
include second hard drives, with images, or a "mirrored" partition/s for
reinstallation, or removable media with images. It is best to have
rehearsed a recovery before it is critically necessary.

This is makes a lot of sense and I will buy another hard drive (they wre cheap
these days) just for this very purpose.

I am very interested to her what Mike Maltby managed to do. Extracting the
registry cab files is an interesting alternative that in the future might be
tried.

I am in good shape. I have my old drive bootable. This allowed me to get a
clearer idea of how to get the new drive to function. I don't trust the old
drive and it is now retired to the garbage can ( many bad sectors so I assume
it was on it's last legs.) The only thing I am missing are minor inconvenices
such as favorites and of course the dbx file corruption that I mentioned
earlier.

Jack E Martinelli wrote:

> [...]

> > > http://www.newlogic.co.uk/kbase/fdisk/page1.htm
> > > http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/dual_boot/share_par...
> > >
> > > Be assured that whatever you decide, we stand ready to aid you in the
> event
> > > something unexpected happens.
> > > When you have the new system up and running well, repost with a request
> for
> > > suggestions for backup tools and methods. The value of your system to
> you
> > > and personal data will drive the best option/s.
> > >
> > > As you have learned most grievously, System Restore is not a backup
> tool.
> > >
> > > Best wishes, and don't forget to attend to the other important parts of
> your
> > > life this weekend,
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:38:28 PM

Well, that is very good news indeed. Congratulations!

If your old HD was repeatedly throwing bad sector errors, you can be sure it
was dying --- and you are very lucky to have got out as well as you did.

Post back with your new thoughts about a backup system, and see what the
other gurus think about the options.
When money is no object, a RAID array is superb.
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/perf/rai...

I leave it to Mike Maltby to tell his very interesting WinME registry
recovery story, as only he can! I'm still shaking my head in wonder at the
good luck.

!