no mouse in windows

can anyone help?
I can start up in safe mode and the mouse works perfectly, when I start a
normal startup there's no mouse look in device manager and there is a yellow
mark against the mouse. I've removed the mouse , and restarted and it
detected new hardware and installed the mouse drivers, but it still doesn't
work
5 answers Last reply
More about mouse windows

    Boot to Safe Mode, remove the mouse in Device Manager, and restart to Normal
    Mode. Reexamine DM to confirm that the mouse drivers loaded properly.
    Inspect the mouse applet in Control panel and reset some parameters to test.
    If you are using the mouse as a USB device, try installing the PS/2 adapter
    to the wire and use it in that mode. Power down to plug in the moue in PS/2
    mode.

    If all fails, try a new, or known-good, mouse. It is not uncommon for the
    mouse wire to fail at its board inside the mouse. By all means, use a
    modern optical mouse.
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------

    "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

    > Boot to Safe Mode, remove the mouse in Device Manager, and restart to Normal
    > Mode. Reexamine DM to confirm that the mouse drivers loaded properly.
    > Inspect the mouse applet in Control panel and reset some parameters to test.
    > If you are using the mouse as a USB device, try installing the PS/2 adapter
    > to the wire and use it in that mode. Power down to plug in the moue in PS/2
    > mode.
    >
    > If all fails, try a new, or known-good, mouse. It is not uncommon for the
    > mouse wire to fail at its board inside the mouse. By all means, use a
    > modern optical mouse.
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "chesmick" <chesmick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > can anyone help?
    > > I can start up in safe mode and the mouse works perfectly, when I start a
    > > normal startup there's no mouse look in device manager and there is a
    > yellow
    > > mark against the mouse. I've removed the mouse , and restarted and it
    > > detected new hardware and installed the mouse drivers, but it still
    > doesn't
    > > work
    > >

    > I have done everything that you suggested, but alas it still doesn't work.
    Thanks for your efforts in trying to help me.

    Just so I'm clear about your situation:

    Did you install a new or known-good mouse, and it still doesn't work?

    "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

    > Just so I'm clear about your situation:
    >
    > Did you install a new or known-good mouse, and it still doesn't work?

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "chesmick" <chesmick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Boot to Safe Mode, remove the mouse in Device Manager, and restart to
    > Normal
    > > > Mode. Reexamine DM to confirm that the mouse drivers loaded properly.
    > > > Inspect the mouse applet in Control panel and reset some parameters to
    > test.
    > > > If you are using the mouse as a USB device, try installing the PS/2
    > adapter
    > > > to the wire and use it in that mode. Power down to plug in the moue in
    > PS/2
    > > > mode.
    > > >
    > > > If all fails, try a new, or known-good, mouse. It is not uncommon for
    > the
    > > > mouse wire to fail at its board inside the mouse. By all means, use a
    > > > modern optical mouse.
    > > > --
    > > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > > ------
    > > > "chesmick" <chesmick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > start a
    > > > yellow
    > > > doesn't
    > > > >

    > > > I have done everything that you suggested, but alas it still doesn't
    > work.
    > > Thanks for your efforts in trying to help me.
    >

    > The mouse is working, I tried it on another computer and and it works perfectly.
    In Normal mode when I look at the mouse properties, under the General Tab
    there is a message that says:
    This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the file
    (vmouse.VXD) that loads the drivers for the divice (code 8).

    In the Driver File Details
    C:\Windows\system\vmm32\vmouse.vxd
    C:\Windows\system\mouse.drv
    C:\Windows\system\msmscoin.dll
    C:\Windows\system\msmouse.vxd
    I have done a over the top reinstall of windows and it still hasn't intalled
    the mouse.

    Why would the mouse work in safe mode and not in normal mode?

    chesmick wrote:

    > The mouse is working, I tried it on another computer and and it works
    perfectly.
    In Normal mode when I look at the mouse properties, under the General Tab
    there is a message that says:
    This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the file
    (vmouse.VXD) that loads the drivers for the divice (code 8).

    In the Driver File Details
    C:\Windows\system\vmm32\vmouse.vxd
    C:\Windows\system\mouse.drv
    C:\Windows\system\msmscoin.dll
    C:\Windows\system\msmouse.vxd
    I have done a over the top reinstall of windows and it still hasn't intalled
    the mouse.

    Why would the mouse work in safe mode and not in normal mode?
    ----

    I suspect your mouse driver set is corrupted. Try to uninstall any such
    mouse drivers in Add-Remove Programs.
    Obtain a fresh copy of the drivers from the mouse vendor's site and install
    them.
    Then attempt to boot to Normal Mode, and confirm that the device is using
    the new drivers. If not, change the drivers, using the wizard in Device
    Mangaer.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------