Send to 31/2 Floppy A

I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me that I
cannot create file so & so.
Several attempts produced the same result.
What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?

Harry.
30 answers Last reply
More about send floppy

    Harry, a bit more info might have been helpful, e.g.

    Are ALL the files in the Favourites folder the same type .txt or .doc or
    ..jpg, etc.?

    Are the 'M' files different from the rest of the 'alphabet' files?

    Does it fail at the 'first' 'M' file?

    What about 'N' onwards?

    Can you 'Send to' an individual 'M' file or does this only happen when you
    try to 'Send to' the complete Faro folder - does the A: disk become full? -
    contents of the Favourites folder > 1.38Mb??

    Can you 'Copy and Paste' the 'M' files to your A: drive? (i.e. not using
    'Send to')

    Mart

    >I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    > When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me that
    > cannot create file so & so.
    > Several attempts produced the same result.
    > What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    >
    > Harry.

    Mart:
    For now I have to go by memory and it stops earlier at 'IrfanView', after
    another few tries. I did highlight all the files in the favorites folder
    collectively and used the 'Send To' option under 'File'. That seemed to me
    the easiest way to do it. I am sending from the Favorites folder to 'A'
    (1.38 MB). It definitely isn't full! I also don't know what type of files
    they are in the favorites folder.
    They get added as I go from the websites.

    Harry.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Harry, a bit more info might have been helpful, e.g.
    >
    > Are ALL the files in the Favourites folder the same type .txt or .doc or
    > .jpg, etc.?
    >
    > Are the 'M' files different from the rest of the 'alphabet' files?
    >
    > Does it fail at the 'first' 'M' file?
    >
    > What about 'N' onwards?
    >
    > Can you 'Send to' an individual 'M' file or does this only happen when you
    > try to 'Send to' the complete Faro folder - does the A: disk become
    full? -
    > contents of the Favourites folder > 1.38Mb??
    >
    > Can you 'Copy and Paste' the 'M' files to your A: drive? (i.e. not using
    > 'Send to')
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    > > When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me
    that
    > > cannot create file so & so.
    > > Several attempts produced the same result.
    > > What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    > >
    > > Harry.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Harry, a bit more info might have been helpful, e.g.
    >
    > Are ALL the files in the Favourites folder the same type .txt or .doc or
    > .jpg, etc.?
    >
    > Are the 'M' files different from the rest of the 'alphabet' files?
    >
    > Does it fail at the 'first' 'M' file?
    >
    > What about 'N' onwards?
    >
    > Can you 'Send to' an individual 'M' file or does this only happen when you
    > try to 'Send to' the complete Faro folder - does the A: disk become
    > full? - contents of the Favourites folder > 1.38Mb??
    >
    > Can you 'Copy and Paste' the 'M' files to your A: drive? (i.e. not using
    > 'Send to')
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    >> When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me that
    >> cannot create file so & so.
    >> Several attempts produced the same result.
    >> What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    >>
    >> Harry.

    Should read:-

    Can you 'Send to' an individual 'M' file or does this only happen when you
    try to 'Send to' the complete **Favourites** folder - does the A: disk
    become full? -
    contents of the Favourites folder > 1.38Mb??

    Mart

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Harry, a bit more info might have been helpful, e.g.
    >
    > Are ALL the files in the Favourites folder the same type .txt or .doc or
    > .jpg, etc.?
    >
    > Are the 'M' files different from the rest of the 'alphabet' files?
    >
    > Does it fail at the 'first' 'M' file?
    >
    > What about 'N' onwards?
    >
    > Can you 'Send to' an individual 'M' file or does this only happen when you
    > try to 'Send to' the complete Faro folder - does the A: disk become
    > full? - contents of the Favourites folder > 1.38Mb??
    >
    > Can you 'Copy and Paste' the 'M' files to your A: drive? (i.e. not using
    > 'Send to')
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    >> When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me that
    >> cannot create file so & so.
    >> Several attempts produced the same result.
    >> What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    >>
    >> Harry.

    > (1.38 MB). It definitely isn't full!

    Are you sure, Harry?? - iview397.exe is .875Mb and
    irfanview_plugins_397.exe is 4.625Mb - and that's just two files!! You
    won't get them on a floppy!!

    Right-click on your Favourites folder and check on its Properties for its
    size.

    I think you had better re-evaluate your Favourites folder and how better to
    back it up.

    Mart

    > Mart:
    > For now I have to go by memory and it stops earlier at 'IrfanView', after
    > another few tries. I did highlight all the files in the favorites folder
    > collectively and used the 'Send To' option under 'File'. That seemed to me
    > the easiest way to do it. I am sending from the Favorites folder to 'A'
    > (1.38 MB). It definitely isn't full! I also don't know what type of files
    > they are in the favorites folder.
    > They get added as I go from the websites.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >> Harry, a bit more info might have been helpful, e.g.
    >>
    >> Are ALL the files in the Favourites folder the same type .txt or .doc or
    >> .jpg, etc.?
    >>
    >> Are the 'M' files different from the rest of the 'alphabet' files?
    >>
    >> Does it fail at the 'first' 'M' file?
    >>
    >> What about 'N' onwards?
    >>
    >> Can you 'Send to' an individual 'M' file or does this only happen when
    >> you
    >> try to 'Send to' the complete Faro folder - does the A: disk become
    > full? -
    >> contents of the Favourites folder > 1.38Mb??
    >>
    >> Can you 'Copy and Paste' the 'M' files to your A: drive? (i.e. not using
    >> 'Send to')
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy
    >> >disk.
    >> > When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me
    > that
    >> > cannot create file so & so.
    >> > Several attempts produced the same result.
    >> > What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    >> >
    >> > Harry.

    Mart:

    IrfanView is just a website, not the download of it.
    And I am trying to move the contents of the favorites folder to the floppy
    for backup purposes.
    I don't quite know where you are headed, Mart.
    But I will check things out at the favorites folder, to be sure.
    Must do some other things first, though.

    > > (1.38 MB). It definitely isn't full!
    >
    > Are you sure, Harry?? - iview397.exe is .875Mb and
    > irfanview_plugins_397.exe is 4.625Mb - and that's just two files!! You
    > won't get them on a floppy!!
    >
    > Right-click on your Favourites folder and check on its Properties for its
    > size.
    >
    > I think you had better re-evaluate your Favourites folder and how better
    > back it up.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Mart:
    > > For now I have to go by memory and it stops earlier at 'IrfanView',
    after
    > > another few tries. I did highlight all the files in the favorites folder
    > > collectively and used the 'Send To' option under 'File'. That seemed to
    me
    > > the easiest way to do it. I am sending from the Favorites folder to 'A'
    > > (1.38 MB). It definitely isn't full! I also don't know what type of
    files
    > > they are in the favorites folder.
    > > They get added as I go from the websites.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > >> Harry, a bit more info might have been helpful, e.g.
    > >>
    > >> Are ALL the files in the Favourites folder the same type .txt or .doc
    or
    > >> .jpg, etc.?
    > >>
    > >> Are the 'M' files different from the rest of the 'alphabet' files?
    > >>
    > >> Does it fail at the 'first' 'M' file?
    > >>
    > >> What about 'N' onwards?
    > >>
    > >> Can you 'Send to' an individual 'M' file or does this only happen when
    > >> you
    > >> try to 'Send to' the complete Faro folder - does the A: disk become
    > > full? -
    > >> contents of the Favourites folder > 1.38Mb??
    > >>
    > >> Can you 'Copy and Paste' the 'M' files to your A: drive? (i.e. not
    using
    > >> 'Send to')
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > that

    Um......colour me blonde, but I believe Harry is trying to backup his
    C:\Windows\Favourites folder (just the names of websites) onto a floppy. I
    just checked mine and while I have a ****load of websites in my IE
    Favourites, it is still only 98.6 kb.......not gig or meg.

    Harry...I don't know why you can't get it to transfer, but I suggest that
    you go to the IE groups and ask there. Or try the below method.

    I also fired up IE and clicked on File and clicked on "Import and Export"
    and a Wizard came up and while I didn't follow thru on it, I could have
    exported all my favourites to another spot on the HD......I do believe. You
    could then back that up to a floppy or CD. No point in doing so.....so why
    are you messing about with it????

    IOW.....why, what and how are you doing this??? I think there are more
    important things to do in life other than backing up one's IE Favourites.
    (G)

    Heather....and I trust I read you right.

    PS.....somewhere in this mess of posts, you say you keep getting more and
    more Favourites from websites you visit......how in heck are you doing that?
    You have to click on something to make it a Favourite. They don't
    automatically add themselves......as in *poof*....I am now a Favourite
    website of Harry's. LOL.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > > (1.38 MB). It definitely isn't full!
    >
    > Are you sure, Harry?? - iview397.exe is .875Mb and
    > irfanview_plugins_397.exe is 4.625Mb - and that's just two files!! You
    > won't get them on a floppy!!
    >
    > Right-click on your Favourites folder and check on its Properties for its
    > size.
    >
    > I think you had better re-evaluate your Favourites folder and how better
    > back it up.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Mart:
    > > For now I have to go by memory and it stops earlier at 'IrfanView',
    after
    > > another few tries. I did highlight all the files in the favorites folder
    > > collectively and used the 'Send To' option under 'File'. That seemed to
    me
    > > the easiest way to do it. I am sending from the Favorites folder to 'A'
    > > (1.38 MB). It definitely isn't full! I also don't know what type of
    files
    > > they are in the favorites folder.
    > > They get added as I go from the websites.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > >> Harry, a bit more info might have been helpful, e.g.
    > >>
    > >> Are ALL the files in the Favourites folder the same type .txt or .doc
    or
    > >> .jpg, etc.?
    > >>
    > >> Are the 'M' files different from the rest of the 'alphabet' files?
    > >>
    > >> Does it fail at the 'first' 'M' file?
    > >>
    > >> What about 'N' onwards?
    > >>
    > >> Can you 'Send to' an individual 'M' file or does this only happen when
    > >> you
    > >> try to 'Send to' the complete Faro folder - does the A: disk become
    > > full? -
    > >> contents of the Favourites folder > 1.38Mb??
    > >>
    > >> Can you 'Copy and Paste' the 'M' files to your A: drive? (i.e. not
    using
    > >> 'Send to')
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > that

    Harry

    Point at your Favourites folder, right-click, select 'Properties'.
    Please, please, *please*, tell us the size of this folder!
    A floppy disc can only hold 1.38 mb!

    George Gee

    *webster72n* has posted this message:

    > Mart:
    >
    > IrfanView is just a website, not the download of it.
    > And I am trying to move the contents of the favorites folder to the
    > floppy for backup purposes.
    > I don't quite know where you are headed, Mart.
    > But I will check things out at the favorites folder, to be sure.
    > Must do some other things first, though.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >>> (1.38 MB). It definitely isn't full!
    >>
    >> Are you sure, Harry?? - iview397.exe is .875Mb and
    >> irfanview_plugins_397.exe is 4.625Mb - and that's just two files!!
    >> You won't get them on a floppy!!
    >>
    >> Right-click on your Favourites folder and check on its Properties
    >> for its size.
    >>
    >> I think you had better re-evaluate your Favourites folder and how
    >> better to back it up.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Mart:
    >>> For now I have to go by memory and it stops earlier at 'IrfanView',
    >>> after another few tries. I did highlight all the files in the
    >>> favorites folder collectively and used the 'Send To' option under
    >>> 'File'. That seemed to me the easiest way to do it. I am sending
    >>> from the Favorites folder to 'A' (1.38 MB). It definitely isn't
    >>> full! I also don't know what type of files they are in the
    >>> favorites folder.
    >>> They get added as I go from the websites.
    >>>
    >>> Harry.
    >>>

    >>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

    George:

    Here is the properties info you wanted:
    Size of the Shell Favorites Folder: 24,1 KB
    Size on disk: 560 KB
    Contents: 140 Files and 2 Folders.
    Hope this will help in finding a solution.
    Thanks.
    Harry.

    "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message
    > Harry
    >
    > Point at your Favourites folder, right-click, select 'Properties'.
    > Please, please, *please*, tell us the size of this folder!
    > A floppy disc can only hold 1.38 mb!
    >
    > George Gee
    >

    > *webster72n* has posted this message:
    >
    > > Mart:
    > >
    > > IrfanView is just a website, not the download of it.
    > > And I am trying to move the contents of the favorites folder to the
    > > floppy for backup purposes.
    > > I don't quite know where you are headed, Mart.
    > > But I will check things out at the favorites folder, to be sure.
    > > Must do some other things first, though.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Are you sure, Harry?? - iview397.exe is .875Mb and
    > >> irfanview_plugins_397.exe is 4.625Mb - and that's just two files!!
    > >> You won't get them on a floppy!!
    > >>
    > >> Right-click on your Favourites folder and check on its Properties
    > >> for its size.
    > >>
    > >> I think you had better re-evaluate your Favourites folder and how
    > >> better to back it up.
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

    You have probably exceeded the capacity of the floppy.

    MS-DOS: Directory and Subdirectory Limitations
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q39927/

    If you are trying to put them in the root folder, then you will run
    out of entries very quickly. The 224 allowed can drop down to well
    under a hundred with long file names.
    Try putting them in a subfolder or take the better option of exporting
    them to a single file with IE-File-Export.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "webster72n"
    <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

    >I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    >When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me that I
    >cannot create file so & so.
    >Several attempts produced the same result.
    >What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    >
    > Harry.

    Alan, Mart and George:

    Those Favorites entries (~120 of them) are 1KB's worth of internet shortcuts
    each and don't come near to filling up the floppy.
    But don't worry, I'll do what I've done before: drag & drop whatever I want
    to preserve for quick access, unless one of you has a better solution for
    me.
    Thanks for being there.

    Harry.

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > You have probably exceeded the capacity of the floppy.
    >
    > MS-DOS: Directory and Subdirectory Limitations
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q39927/
    >
    > If you are trying to put them in the root folder, then you will run
    > out of entries very quickly. The 224 allowed can drop down to well
    > under a hundred with long file names.
    > Try putting them in a subfolder or take the better option of exporting
    > them to a single file with IE-File-Export.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "webster72n"
    > <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    > >When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me that
    > >cannot create file so & so.
    > >Several attempts produced the same result.
    > >What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    > >
    > > Harry.

    Alan:

    I am sorry to have completely overlooked the essence of your post.
    I wasn't aware of the fact that one could so easily exceed the limits of
    that folder. Before I go any further, I will have to study the situation and
    then take appropiate action.
    I beg for patience, please.
    Thank you.

    Harry.

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > You have probably exceeded the capacity of the floppy.
    >
    > MS-DOS: Directory and Subdirectory Limitations
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q39927/
    >
    > If you are trying to put them in the root folder, then you will run
    > out of entries very quickly. The 224 allowed can drop down to well
    > under a hundred with long file names.
    > Try putting them in a subfolder or take the better option of exporting
    > them to a single file with IE-File-Export.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "webster72n"
    > <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    > >When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me that
    > >cannot create file so & so.
    > >Several attempts produced the same result.
    > >What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    > >
    > > Harry.

    And hence the need for the statement I posed in my original reply :-

    > Alan:
    >
    > I am sorry to have completely overlooked the essence of your post.
    > I wasn't aware of the fact that one could so easily exceed the limits of
    > that folder. Before I go any further, I will have to study the situation
    > and
    > then take appropiate action.
    > I beg for patience, please.
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> You have probably exceeded the capacity of the floppy.
    >>
    >> MS-DOS: Directory and Subdirectory Limitations
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q39927/
    >>
    >> If you are trying to put them in the root folder, then you will run
    >> out of entries very quickly. The 224 allowed can drop down to well
    >> under a hundred with long file names.
    >> Try putting them in a subfolder or take the better option of exporting
    >> them to a single file with IE-File-Export.
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "webster72n"
    >> <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy
    >> >disk.
    >> >When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me
    >> >that
    >> >cannot create file so & so.
    >> >Several attempts produced the same result.
    >> >What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    >> >
    >> > Harry.

    140 files??????????????
    That will exceed the floppy capacity if you have mainly LFNs.
    Didn't you read my first response?

    ....Alan

    --

    Alan Edwards wrote:
    > 140 files??????????????
    > That will exceed the floppy capacity if you have mainly LFNs.
    > Didn't you read my first response?
    >
    > ...Alan

    neat I din't know that...

    how about subdirectories ? (doesn't mention in the MSKB article)

    Rick

    You seem to be missing the point of my response completely.

    Please read it again.
    120 LFN files is far too much in the root folder of a floppy.

    ....Alan

    --

    <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

    >Alan, Mart and George:
    >
    >Those Favorites entries (~120 of them) are 1KB's worth of internet shortcuts
    >each and don't come near to filling up the floppy.
    >But don't worry, I'll do what I've done before: drag & drop whatever I want
    >to preserve for quick access, unless one of you has a better solution for
    >me.
    >Thanks for being there.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> You have probably exceeded the capacity of the floppy.
    >>
    >> MS-DOS: Directory and Subdirectory Limitations
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q39927/
    >>
    >> If you are trying to put them in the root folder, then you will run
    >> out of entries very quickly. The 224 allowed can drop down to well
    >> under a hundred with long file names.
    >> Try putting them in a subfolder or take the better option of exporting
    >> them to a single file with IE-File-Export.
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "webster72n"
    >> <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    >> >When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me that
    >> >cannot create file so & so.
    >> >Several attempts produced the same result.
    >> >What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    >> >
    >> > Harry.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    disk full?

    >I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    > When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me that
    > cannot create file so & so.
    > Several attempts produced the same result.
    > What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    >
    > Harry.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Andrew:
    Apparently there was a misconception about the file size on my part.
    I only saw 1 KB per file in the favorites folder and that times 140 didn't
    make 1.38 MB's total. By the looks of it the files are bigger and I will
    have to find out the details. Give me some some time to look into it.
    Thanks.

    Harry.

    "Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > disk full?
    >
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    > > When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me
    that
    > > cannot create file so & so.
    > > Several attempts produced the same result.
    > > What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    > >
    > > Harry.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    According to Alan, the problem isn't the file sizes at all, but that if
    the files are using Large File Names, then it only allows a few... I
    think if you made a subdirectory (called Favorites f'rinstance) on your
    floppy disk, you could copy all the files into there.

    Rick

    webster72n wrote:
    > Andrew:
    > Apparently there was a misconception about the file size on my part.
    > I only saw 1 KB per file in the favorites folder and that times 140 didn't
    > make 1.38 MB's total. By the looks of it the files are bigger and I will
    > have to find out the details. Give me some some time to look into it.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >
    >>disk full?
    >>
    >>"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I am trying to copy the contents of my Favorites folder to a floppy disk.
    >>>When I get to the 'M' category of words, a message dialog informs me
    >
    > that

    >>>cannot create file so & so.
    >>>Several attempts produced the same result.
    >>>What is causing this phenomenon and can it be fixed?
    >>>
    >>> Harry.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Rick:
    The more I hear about this, the better I understand it.
    Alan had the right directions, only, I didn't understand because of my
    limited knowledge on the subject.
    I will have to find out how to create a subdirectory.
    Thanks a million.

    Harry.

    > According to Alan, the problem isn't the file sizes at all, but that if
    > the files are using Large File Names, then it only allows a few... I
    > think if you made a subdirectory (called Favorites f'rinstance) on your
    > floppy disk, you could copy all the files into there.
    >

    > Rick
    >

    > webster72n wrote:
    > > Andrew:
    > > Apparently there was a misconception about the file size on my part.
    > > I only saw 1 KB per file in the favorites folder and that times 140
    didn't
    > > make 1.38 MB's total. By the looks of it the files are bigger and I will
    > > have to find out the details. Give me some some time to look into it.
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>disk full?
    > >>
    > >>"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

    > > that

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, Rick T
    <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Alan Edwards wrote:
    >> 140 files??????????????
    >> That will exceed the floppy capacity if you have mainly LFNs.
    >> Didn't you read my first response?
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >>
    >neat I din't know that...
    >
    >how about subdirectories ? (doesn't mention in the MSKB article)

    Not too sure of the limit in folders with a floppy formatted with
    FAT12. My guess is 64K (minus 1 or 2)

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    File-New-Folder

    ....Alan

    --

    <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

    >Rick:
    >The more I hear about this, the better I understand it.
    >Alan had the right directions, only, I didn't understand because of my
    >limited knowledge on the subject.
    >I will have to find out how to create a subdirectory.
    >Thanks a million.
    >
    > Harry.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    At this point, I guess Harry ought to add a new item in the 'Send To' list,
    to take account of the 'new' folder on the A: disk (A:\newfolder\ ) -
    otherwise 'Send To : 3 1/2 Floppy:' will continue to try write to the root
    of the A: disk (A:\ )

    see 'How to Add Items to the "Send To" List'
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141017

    Mart

    > File-New-Folder
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "webster72n"
    > <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Rick:
    >>The more I hear about this, the better I understand it.
    >>Alan had the right directions, only, I didn't understand because of my
    >>limited knowledge on the subject.
    >>I will have to find out how to create a subdirectory.
    >>Thanks a million.
    >>
    >> Harry.

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mart:

    That goes conform with what I already tried without being successful.
    I'll make use of your link to add an item to the "Send To" list.
    Thanks so much for helping me out on this one.

    > At this point, I guess Harry ought to add a new item in the 'Send To'
    list,
    > to take account of the 'new' folder on the A: disk (A:\newfolder\ ) -
    > otherwise 'Send To : 3 1/2 Floppy:' will continue to try write to the
    root
    > of the A: disk (A:\ )
    >
    > see 'How to Add Items to the "Send To" List'
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141017
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > > File-New-Folder
    > >
    > > ...Alan
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    > >
    > > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "webster72n"
    > > <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Rick:
    > >>The more I hear about this, the better I understand it.
    > >>Alan had the right directions, only, I didn't understand because of my
    > >>limited knowledge on the subject.
    > >>I will have to find out how to create a subdirectory.
    > >>Thanks a million.
    > >>
    > >> Harry.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Good thinking.

    ....Alan

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Mart"
    <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:

    >At this point, I guess Harry ought to add a new item in the 'Send To' list,
    >to take account of the 'new' folder on the A: disk (A:\newfolder\ ) -
    >otherwise 'Send To : 3 1/2 Floppy:' will continue to try write to the root
    >of the A: disk (A:\ )
    >
    >see 'How to Add Items to the "Send To" List'
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141017
    >
    >Mart
    >

    >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> File-New-Folder
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "webster72n"
    >> <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Rick:
    >>>The more I hear about this, the better I understand it.
    >>>Alan had the right directions, only, I didn't understand because of my
    >>>limited knowledge on the subject.
    >>>I will have to find out how to create a subdirectory.
    >>>Thanks a million.
    >>>
    >>> Harry.

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Alan:
    I really appreciate your assistance with my problem.
    Thanks much.

    > Good thinking.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Mart"
    > <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:
    >
    > >At this point, I guess Harry ought to add a new item in the 'Send To'
    list,
    > >to take account of the 'new' folder on the A: disk (A:\newfolder\ ) -
    > >otherwise 'Send To : 3 1/2 Floppy:' will continue to try write to the
    root
    > >of the A: disk (A:\ )
    > >
    > >see 'How to Add Items to the "Send To" List'
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141017
    > >
    > >Mart
    > >

    > >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > >> File-New-Folder
    > >>
    > >> ...Alan
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Root directories in all versions of FAT are limited, IIRC to 108 entries or
    less

    Ah - (from KB75131)
    Formatted Capacity 720K 1.44 MB 2.88 MB
    # of Heads (Sides) 2 2 2
    # of Cyls (Tracks) 80 80 80
    # of Sectors/Track 9 18 36
    Total # of Sectors 1440 2880 5760
    # of Free Sectors 1426 2847 5726
    # Sectors/Cluster 2 1 2
    Total # of Clusters 713 2847 2863
    # Sectors/FAT 3 9 9
    # of FAT Copies 2 2 2
    # of Root Dir Sectors 7 14 15
    # Reserved Sectors 1 1 1
    # of Hidden Sectors 0 0 0
    # of Bytes/Sector 512 512 512
    # of Bytes/Cluster 1024 512 1024
    # Root Dir Entries 112 224 240
    Media Descriptor F9 F0 F0
    Recorded Density Double High High
    MS-DOS Version Began 3.20 3.30 5.00
    DRIVER.SYS Switch /F:2 /F:7 /F:9
    FORMAT.EXE Switch /F:720 /F:1.44 /F:2.88
    Change-Line Support YES YES YES
    If you then start using LFN's, the number of entries reduces rapidly, since
    depending on the length, each file will use 2 or even three entries.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Alan Edwards wrote:
    >> 140 files??????????????
    >> That will exceed the floppy capacity if you have mainly LFNs.
    >> Didn't you read my first response?
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >>
    > neat I din't know that...
    >
    > how about subdirectories ? (doesn't mention in the MSKB article)
    >

    > Rick
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    108 Noel???
    Your data does not indicate that to me as it corresponds with the KB
    article I quoted.
    MS-DOS: Directory and Subdirectory Limitations
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q39927/

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Noel Paton"
    <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    >Root directories in all versions of FAT are limited, IIRC to 108 entries or
    >less
    >
    >Formatted Capacity 720K 1.44 MB 2.88 MB

    ># Root Dir Entries 112 224 240

    >If you then start using LFN's, the number of entries reduces rapidly, since
    >depending on the length, each file will use 2 or even three entries.

    Why "Root directories in all versions of FAT" when the above is for
    FAT12 and FAT16 allows 512 entries and FAT32 allows around 65,535
    (give or take one)?

    Am I missing something? (Probably, as it is Saturday night here and I
    tend to miss a few things then)

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    That was written rather on the fly - and I forgot to go back and edit the
    intro<g>

    --

    > 108 Noel???
    > Your data does not indicate that to me as it corresponds with the KB
    > article I quoted.
    > MS-DOS: Directory and Subdirectory Limitations
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q39927/
    >

    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Noel Paton"
    > <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Root directories in all versions of FAT are limited, IIRC to 108 entries
    >>or
    >>less
    >>
    >>Formatted Capacity 720K 1.44 MB 2.88 MB
    >
    >># Root Dir Entries 112 224 240
    >
    >>If you then start using LFN's, the number of entries reduces rapidly,
    >>since
    >>depending on the length, each file will use 2 or even three entries.
    >
    > Why "Root directories in all versions of FAT" when the above is for
    > FAT12 and FAT16 allows 512 entries and FAT32 allows around 65,535
    > (give or take one)?
    >
    > Am I missing something? (Probably, as it is Saturday night here and I
    > tend to miss a few things then)
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> in news:OKobE8pVFHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    > Yes....use the IE-File-Export.

    or make the file really small: zip... or 7-zip, but only if you will have ability to later unzip.

Floppy Disk Microsoft Windows