Cannot access the Internet - always Page cannot be found

The problem machine is running ME and IE6.

When I access any web site with IE (or Mozilla), I get the "Page cannot be
found" and the address is changed from say http://www.google.com to
http://?%20www.google.com

I have five computers all together on a network including the problem one.
All of them will ping each other as well as the ADSL modem router. The other
four computers have no problems accessing the Internet. The problem
computer has the same problem if I connect to the Internet via ADSL
broadband or dial up.

I did have a lot of spam problems and a trojan virus on the problem machine,
but now AVG, Adaware Lavasoft and Skybot all run without any errors. This
problem occurred after AVG had removed a Trojan Horse.

I've checked all the settings in networking and internet options several
times and compared them with another ME machine and they seem to be correct.

Any help very much appreciated.

http://www.usenet.com

you may have spyware
Such errors are often caused by spyware - download AdAware from
www.lavasoftusa.com, install, update, and run it to remove spyware, adware,
and other such nasties from your system.

also run the LSPFix from here
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)