Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How much would you sell this used system for?

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 1:55:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
needs a word processing/e-mail computer..

White mid-tower case
350w Deer power supply
AMD XP 1700+
Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
56x cd-rom
four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
of these that have not died yet ;) 
ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
56K v92 modem

Is asking $200 about right for this?

More about : sell system

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 1:55:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Joseph Corrado wrote:
> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>
> White mid-tower case
> 350w Deer power supply
> AMD XP 1700+
> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
> 56x cd-rom
> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
> of these that have not died yet ;) 
> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
> 56K v92 modem
>
> Is asking $200 about right for this?

The CPU and Memory isn't too bad. I have an Athlon XP 1700+ with
512Mb!
February 1, 2005 1:55:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I would donate it to a school or other organization and claim &400 charity
as a tax deduction.

Fitz
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 1:55:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Joseph Corrado wrote:
> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
[...]
> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
> of these that have not died yet ;) 

Seeing as you're going to be the de facto "computer tech guy"
for this computer, don't put a hard drive in it unless you
ABSOLUTELY trust it.

Isaac Kuo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 1:55:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Joseph Corrado" wrote:
>
> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>
> White mid-tower case
> 350w Deer power supply

In my experience, that PSU is a ticking time bomb waiting to take out other
components when it goes.

> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
> of these that have not died yet ;) 

tick...tick...tick....

Jon
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 1:57:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Jon Danniken wrote:
>
> In my experience, that PSU is a ticking time bomb waiting to take out
other
> components when it goes.

I believe part of the ATX standard states that in the event of a PSU
failing no pieces should be ejected from the casing. From what I've
heard I don't think this is what usually happens though :-(
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 2:19:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Have you informed the purchaser that there is likely no warranty on any of
the hardware components?

And that several of the components are obsolete/

I would recommend to the purchaser the s/he buy a new system or pay you to
build one with new parts.
If s/he still wants the old stuff, then at least you have pointed out the
downsides and are legally and morally covered.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Joseph Corrado" <corrado@invalid.no> wrote in message
news:uq8vv0ps2vja9i94f4ac43t808fmtqgi3c@4ax.com...
> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>
> White mid-tower case
> 350w Deer power supply
> AMD XP 1700+
> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
> 56x cd-rom
> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
> of these that have not died yet ;) 
> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
> 56K v92 modem
>
> Is asking $200 about right for this?
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 2:25:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <ctoa6i$q9v$1@pyrite.mv.net>,
Howard Kaikow <kaikow@standards.com> wrote:
>Have you informed the purchaser that there is likely no warranty on any of
>the hardware components?
>
>And that several of the components are obsolete/
>
>I would recommend to the purchaser the s/he buy a new system or pay you to
>build one with new parts.
>If s/he still wants the old stuff, then at least you have pointed out the
>downsides and are legally and morally covered.
>
>--
>http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
>"Joseph Corrado" <corrado@invalid.no> wrote in message
>news:uq8vv0ps2vja9i94f4ac43t808fmtqgi3c@4ax.com...
>> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
>> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
>> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>>
>> White mid-tower case
>> 350w Deer power supply
>> AMD XP 1700+
>> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
>> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
>> 56x cd-rom
>> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
>> of these that have not died yet ;) 
>> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
>> 56K v92 modem
>>
>> Is asking $200 about right for this?
>>
>
>

No legal OS ?

Donate it to some organization that can use it and get a tax
deduction. It'll be really hard to get case for it.

It's a fine web browswer/email/word processing machine
all it needs in a NIC card to work fine on a LAN.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
February 1, 2005 2:35:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

with no monitor? yeah it is, but if he thinks 200$ is enough take it!
"Joseph Corrado" <corrado@invalid.no> wrote in message
news:uq8vv0ps2vja9i94f4ac43t808fmtqgi3c@4ax.com...
>I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>
> White mid-tower case
> 350w Deer power supply
> AMD XP 1700+
> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
> 56x cd-rom
> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
> of these that have not died yet ;) 
> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
> 56K v92 modem
>
> Is asking $200 about right for this?
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 3:26:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have to respond here.

I was told by a lady I work with that her elderly stepmother purchased a
computer last year from a "run his computer business out of his house
computer guy". These are the system specs from what I can see:

White mid-tower case
Gigabyte GA-686LX4 motherboard (probably made sometime in 1998)
Intel PentiumII 266 Mhz processor
2 sticks 32MB RAM (64MB total)
Diamond Multmedia SPDSTR A50 AGP (8MB) videocard
Seagate Medalist Pro 2520 2.5Gb hard drive
Goldstar CRD-8322B CD-Rom (probably made sometime in 1999)
Creative CT2950 (Soundblaster 16 Value?) ISA soundcard
Standard floppy drive

I belive she also got a monitor (15-inch), mouse and keyboard.

And, all this for about $200.

System is now dead.

Compared to this, your computer sounds pretty good. I would just make sure
they understand no warranty is given or implied and all the stuff is used.
If they're willing to take that risk, go for it.

Patty

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:55:45 -0500, Joseph Corrado wrote:

> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>
> White mid-tower case
> 350w Deer power supply
> AMD XP 1700+
> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
> 56x cd-rom
> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
> of these that have not died yet ;) 
> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
> 56K v92 modem
>
> Is asking $200 about right for this?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 3:52:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 1 Feb 2005 11:25:40 -0500, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>In article <ctoa6i$q9v$1@pyrite.mv.net>,
>Howard Kaikow <kaikow@standards.com> wrote:
>>Have you informed the purchaser that there is likely no warranty on any of
>>the hardware components?
>>
>>And that several of the components are obsolete/
>>
>>I would recommend to the purchaser the s/he buy a new system or pay you to
>>build one with new parts.
>>If s/he still wants the old stuff, then at least you have pointed out the
>>downsides and are legally and morally covered.
>>
>>--
>>http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
>>"Joseph Corrado" <corrado@invalid.no> wrote in message
>>news:uq8vv0ps2vja9i94f4ac43t808fmtqgi3c@4ax.com...
>>> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
>>> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
>>> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>>>
>>> White mid-tower case
>>> 350w Deer power supply
>>> AMD XP 1700+
>>> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
>>> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
>>> 56x cd-rom
>>> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
>>> of these that have not died yet ;) 
>>> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
>>> 56K v92 modem
>>>
>>> Is asking $200 about right for this?
>>>
>>
>>
>
>No legal OS ?
>
Can use Linux. I run a simpler Linux on my spare machine.

>Donate it to some organization that can use it and get a tax
>deduction. It'll be really hard to get case for it.

Case is in that list.


>It's a fine web browswer/email/word processing machine
>all it needs in a NIC card to work fine on a LAN.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 5:06:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Put it on ebay and you will find out exactly what it is worth.

"Joseph Corrado" <corrado@invalid.no> wrote in message
news:uq8vv0ps2vja9i94f4ac43t808fmtqgi3c@4ax.com...
> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>
> White mid-tower case
> 350w Deer power supply
> AMD XP 1700+
> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
> 56x cd-rom
> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
> of these that have not died yet ;) 
> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
> 56K v92 modem
>
> Is asking $200 about right for this?
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 8:46:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Joseph Corrado" <corrado@invalid.no> wrote in message
news:uq8vv0ps2vja9i94f4ac43t808fmtqgi3c@4ax.com...
> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>
> White mid-tower case
> 350w Deer power supply
> AMD XP 1700+
> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
> 56x cd-rom
> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
> of these that have not died yet ;) 
> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
> 56K v92 modem
>
> Is asking $200 about right for this?
>

No, it's worth about $70. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 8:49:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"jacoby" <jacobykjh@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:M9qdnRqgXLkrc2LcRVn-gA@comcast.com...
> Put it on ebay and you will find out exactly what it is worth.
>


Yeah, he'll have to pay to list it several times. :)  -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 9:19:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Joseph Corrado wrote:
> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>
> White mid-tower case
some generic Super case? $1
> 350w Deer power supply
ugh, Deer? -$20
> AMD XP 1700+
AMD? What HS/FAN? $5
> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
low end Asus brand used. $5
> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
$8
> 56x cd-rom
$3
> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
-$10
> of these that have not died yet ;) 
> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
$2
> 56K v92 modem
$2
> Is asking $200 about right for this?

No. You need to pay the buyer $4 to take it off your hands.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2005 9:19:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:19:13 GMT, Matt wrote:

> Joseph Corrado wrote:
>> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
>> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
>> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>>
>> White mid-tower case
>> 350w Deer power supply
>> AMD XP 1700+
>> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
>> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
>> 56x cd-rom
>> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
>> of these that have not died yet ;) 
>> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
>> 56K v92 modem
>>
>> Is asking $200 about right for this?
>>
>
> techbargains.com reported a few days ago that Dell had a Dimension 4700
> w/ something like: P4, 256MB, 80GB, CDRW, FX5200, XP, Wordperfect, 6 mos
> dialup ISP, 17" LCD shipped for $500.

And Dell sells a basic 17" LCD monitor as an upgrade to an existing
computer that you already own for $299.00. That would make the computer
w/software worth $200.00.

Patty
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2005 1:33:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

<petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jon Danniken wrote:
> >
> > In my experience, that PSU is a ticking time bomb waiting to take out
> other
> > components when it goes.
>
> I believe part of the ATX standard states that in the event of a PSU
> failing no pieces should be ejected from the casing. From what I've
> heard I don't think this is what usually happens though :-(

The two capacitors that blew up in the Deer supply in question did not exit
the case, but the electrical damage it *did* do took out a motherboard.

I consider myself lucky that nothing else was destroyed; there is a good
reason why Deer supplies are not only considered junk, but also a liability.

Jon
February 2, 2005 3:37:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Joseph Corrado" <corrado@invalid.no> wrote in message
news:uq8vv0ps2vja9i94f4ac43t808fmtqgi3c@4ax.com...
>I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>
> White mid-tower case
> 350w Deer power supply
> AMD XP 1700+
> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
> 56x cd-rom
> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
> of these that have not died yet ;) 
> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
> 56K v92 modem
>
> Is asking $200 about right for this?

Yes, Joe, that sounds about right.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2005 3:53:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Joseph Corrado wrote:
> I have a lot of junk/older computer parts lying around, so I decided
> to throw a system together and sell it to somebody at work who just
> needs a word processing/e-mail computer..
>
> White mid-tower case
> 350w Deer power supply
> AMD XP 1700+
> Asrock K7S8X (Sis chipset)
> one stick 512 Mushkin DDR333
> 56x cd-rom
> four-year old IBM "Deathstar" 80 GB drive (surprisingly, I have four
> of these that have not died yet ;) 
> ancient Matrox Millenium 4MB PCI video card
> 56K v92 modem
>
> Is asking $200 about right for this?
>

Sounds right.

--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
!