Need Help Deciding Components for New PC

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

Looking to replace current Athlon +1900, radeon 7000, 256MB win xp
system. Will use new PC for latest games, web, e-mail.

Havn't got unlimited funds but would like it to last a couple of years
(with maybe some future upgrades)

Does anyone have any experience with the following components? or
could you recommend any?

CPU - Athlon 64 939 +3200 winchester
MOBO - PCI Express capable, not sure SLI is worth the extra cash?
MEMORY - 2 x 512MB PC3200, not sure about latency, parity, buffered?
GPU - Nvidia 6600GT PCIE
HARD DRIVE - SATA 200gb 7200rpm Seagate barracuda
DVD writer - will I need a seperate CD drive?
17" TFT - need decent response times, DVI-I?
PSU - think I need at least 400W?
CASE - Coolermaster cavlier or Antec P160?

Also wheres the cheapest place in the UK to but windows XP
4 answers Last reply
More about need deciding components
  1. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    The number one thing to do first is lay a good foundation by getting a good
    power supply first. The wattage is not as important as quality do not get a
    cheap $18 600w power supply thinking its good just because the wattage label
    looks powerful.
    I recommend Enermax or Antec or any of the top brands keep in mind that the
    12v+ should be at least 25A I recommend a Enermax with dual 12v system it
    has 2x 18A lines for a total of 36A on 12v+ BUT any good quality supply
    should do as well.

    http://www.amdboard.com/psu.html
    http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/20011012/index.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html

    Good luck

    "IDI8" <priceless88@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Looking to replace current Athlon +1900, radeon 7000, 256MB win xp
    > system. Will use new PC for latest games, web, e-mail.
    >
    > Havn't got unlimited funds but would like it to last a couple of years
    > (with maybe some future upgrades)
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with the following components? or
    > could you recommend any?
    >
    > CPU - Athlon 64 939 +3200 winchester
    > MOBO - PCI Express capable, not sure SLI is worth the extra cash?
    > MEMORY - 2 x 512MB PC3200, not sure about latency, parity, buffered?
    > GPU - Nvidia 6600GT PCIE
    > HARD DRIVE - SATA 200gb 7200rpm Seagate barracuda
    > DVD writer - will I need a seperate CD drive?
    > 17" TFT - need decent response times, DVI-I?
    > PSU - think I need at least 400W?
    > CASE - Coolermaster cavlier or Antec P160?
    >
    > Also wheres the cheapest place in the UK to but windows XP
  2. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    "IDI8" <priceless88@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Looking to replace current Athlon +1900, radeon 7000, 256MB win xp
    > system. Will use new PC for latest games, web, e-mail.
    >
    > Havn't got unlimited funds but would like it to last a couple of years
    > (with maybe some future upgrades)
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with the following components? or
    > could you recommend any?
    >
    > CPU - Athlon 64 939 +3200 winchester

    As far as processor choice goes, I reckon the best idea is to leave it until
    last, then get the fastest you can with remaining money. A S939 A64 is a
    good choice for performance now, and should offer good upgrade potential.
    The Winchester core is exceptionally power-efficient.

    > MOBO - PCI Express capable, not sure SLI is worth the extra cash?

    I don't think it's quite time to eliminate AGP/PCI motherboards from
    consideration. In my opinion, SLI is not worth thinking about unless you are
    pairing it with a top-end CPU; even then it's debatable.

    > MEMORY - 2 x 512MB PC3200, not sure about latency, parity, buffered?

    2x512MB is ideal.

    Lower latency RAM does increase performance, but the additional cost is
    disproportionate - IMO the money would usually be better invested in a
    faster CPU.

    Parity is long gone; ECC is in its place, at vast expense for limited
    benefit given your use above. I think S939 uses only unbuffered RAM, but I'm
    not sure about ECC support (suspect no; it may ignore ECC capability).

    I strongly recommend RAM from Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/uk/

    > GPU - Nvidia 6600GT PCIE

    I've lost the plot a bit with graphics cards. Anything will be a massive
    improvement over the Radeon 7000 though.

    > HARD DRIVE - SATA 200gb 7200rpm Seagate barracuda
    > DVD writer - will I need a seperate CD drive?

    Do you mean a seperate CD writer, or just a reader?

    If the former: I've not kept up with the speed current DVD writers burn CDs,
    but it always used to be lower than CD writers. So a seperate CD writer can
    be useful if you write a lot of CDs.

    If the latter: using a seperate reader will save wear on the writer - but
    this is not so important any more as writers are not as expensive.

    Either way, simply having two drives is useful at times.

    > 17" TFT - need decent response times, DVI-I?

    Pass.

    > PSU - think I need at least 400W?

    A decent brand 400W supply should be OK, maybe more for SLI.

    > CASE - Coolermaster cavlier or Antec P160?

    No experience of the Cavalier, but I have an Antec case of similar design to
    the P160. The 120mm front fan mount is the icing on the cake for a case with
    excellent cooling in general, and particularly for hard drives, without
    making much noise.

    > Also wheres the cheapest place in the UK to but windows XP

    I've no idea in any case, but do you want Home or Pro?

    Alex
  3. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

    "IDI8" <priceless88@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Looking to replace current Athlon +1900, radeon 7000, 256MB win xp
    > system. Will use new PC for latest games, web, e-mail.
    >
    > Havn't got unlimited funds but would like it to last a couple of years
    > (with maybe some future upgrades)
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with the following components? or
    > could you recommend any?
    >
    > CPU - Athlon 64 939 +3200 winchester
    > MOBO - PCI Express capable, not sure SLI is worth the extra cash?
    > MEMORY - 2 x 512MB PC3200, not sure about latency, parity, buffered?
    > GPU - Nvidia 6600GT PCIE
    > HARD DRIVE - SATA 200gb 7200rpm Seagate barracuda
    > DVD writer - will I need a seperate CD drive?
    > 17" TFT - need decent response times, DVI-I?
    > PSU - think I need at least 400W?
    > CASE - Coolermaster cavlier or Antec P160?
    >
    > Also wheres the cheapest place in the UK to but windows XP

    A suggestion about memory if you plan to overclock. I'm sure you know A64's
    are multiplier locked, so you will raise the FSB to overclock. Think in
    terms of faster RAM to accommodate higher FSB, like PC 4000 instead of PC
    3200. I have a 3200+ Winchester that I could not get over 2.1 GHz with PC
    3200 memory. Replaced the PC 3200 with PC 4000 and am now running at 2.4
    GHz.

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:18:39 GMT, "Stew" <notreal@yehoo.com> wrote:

    >The number one thing to do first is lay a good foundation by getting a good
    >power supply first. The wattage is not as important as quality do not get a
    >cheap $18 600w power supply thinking its good just because the wattage label
    >looks powerful.

    Excellent recommendation. I've assembled several systems using cases
    that came with oem power supplies. Each were touted as being P4 and
    AMD compatible. Had numerous issues which were hard to track down
    because intermittently they'd work, other times not.

    Got wise and replaced the power supply with an Antec True Power
    series. This cost more than the original case with power supply. But
    the systems have each been rock solid ever since.

    One can only speculate how many motherboards, video cards, accessory
    drives, etc., have been tossed when the real culprit was a lack of
    stable power.

Homebuilt Systems