ASUS TX97L tries to write to CD on installs

I have installed a ASUS TX97L motherboard replacing a Shuttle 557 board.
No other changes were made. I am using Win98.

An interesting complication has resulted in that when installing
software from the CD, the install program attempts to write files to the
CD. This has occured with Turbocad, Money 2003, Taxcut 2004, US
Robotics modem install, and other. These installs have worked properly
on another computer.

The CD seems to read CD's properly and was working before the
motherboard switch.

I purchased the TX97L board used, so I don't know its history.

I welcome suggestions to resolve this puzzle.

DLC

jad

your 'TEMP' path is set to the CD-ROM?

"DLC" <DLC@DLC.biz> wrote in message
> I have installed a ASUS TX97L motherboard replacing a Shuttle 557
board.
> No other changes were made. I am using Win98.
>
> An interesting complication has resulted in that when installing
> software from the CD, the install program attempts to write files to
the
> CD. This has occured with Turbocad, Money 2003, Taxcut 2004, US
> Robotics modem install, and other. These installs have worked
properly
> on another computer.
>
> The CD seems to read CD's properly and was working before the
> motherboard switch.
>
> I purchased the TX97L board used, so I don't know its history.
>
> I welcome suggestions to resolve this puzzle.
>
> DLC

Dlc responds:

Thanks, you almost hit it! I forgot that I removed a second hard drive
and that temp was pointed to one of the partitions on that drive. The
installs weren't actually trying to write to the CD, but to the
non-existent partition.

I'm surprised no other programs complained.

I am chagrined that after over 20 years working with Pc's, I missed
this. I guess I was looking for a more complicated problem.

DLC