System Restore question

When exactly does System Restore do a retore. Mine doesn't seem to do
one on any determinable regular basis. For instance I lookied
yesterday and it hadn't done a restore all month.

Walt

Someone

If you mean when does it create a restore point, the answer is everytime you
download something or every 10 hours (approx).
"Walt Morgan" <skeeter@tritel.net> wrote in message
> When exactly does System Restore do a retore. Mine doesn't seem to do
> one on any determinable regular basis. For instance I lookied
> yesterday and it hadn't done a restore all month.
>
> Walt

Walt,

> When exactly does System Restore do a restore.

When you ask it to. System Restore should never make a restore unless you
first initiate one. What Win Me's state manager should be doing though is
continuously scanning your system for amended or deleted system files and
automatically creating a system restore checkpoint roughly every ten
hours.

If however your query is about lack of new automatic system checkpoints
then please post back and someone will try and help you get system restore
back working as it should.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Someone <someone@comcast.net> wrote:

> If you mean when does it create a restore point, the answer is
> everytime you download something or every 10 hours (approx).

Incorrect. Fortunately system restore does not create a checkpoint each
time you download something.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

What I really meat to ask was when does it create a checkpoint?
It did create one yesterday at 6:54PM and another at 4:52 AM this
morning. None prior to that for the month. It that holds true it,
every 10 hours, it sould create another checkpoint about 2: 5x this
afternoon? But, why no checkpoints before yesterday? How long do they
stay once created?
Thanks guys.

Walt

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:03:21 +0100, "Mike M"
<No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

>Someone <someone@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> If you mean when does it create a restore point, the answer is
>> everytime you download something or every 10 hours (approx).
>
>Incorrect. Fortunately system restore does not create a checkpoint each
>time you download something.

> How long do they stay once created?

This is dependent on the space you have allocated to the archive (slider
located at System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk) and the
size/number of changes you make to your system. The more space allocated
to the store the more checkpoints and associated files it can hold whereas
if you are frequently changing or updating system components and this
involves large files then more storage is required and less checkpoints
retained. Older check points and their associated archived files are
discarded as new checkpoints are created and files archived so as to keep
the size of the store to <80-90% of the space allocated.

> But, why no checkpoints before yesterday?

There a re many possible explanations but without knowing what you were
doing with your PC over the last few days virtually impossible to provide
a definitive answer. For example if you made many changes or
installed/removed a large application or deleted a large number of files
with system restore monitored file extensions then you could have exceeded
the space allocated to the archive and the store flushed itself. In
addition either changing your hard disk layout or installing the 290700
patch will automatically flush the store.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Walt Morgan <skeeter@tritel.net> wrote:

> What I really meat to ask was when does it create a checkpoint?
> It did create one yesterday at 6:54PM and another at 4:52 AM this
> morning. None prior to that for the month. It that holds true it,
> every 10 hours, it sould create another checkpoint about 2: 5x this
> afternoon? But, why no checkpoints before yesterday? How long do they
> stay once created?
> Thanks guys.

Thanks for the info Mike. It's much appreciated.
Walt

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:31:51 +0100, "Mike M"