System Restore question

When exactly does System Restore do a retore. Mine doesn't seem to do
one on any determinable regular basis. For instance I lookied
yesterday and it hadn't done a restore all month.

Walt
6 answers Last reply
More about system restore question

    If you mean when does it create a restore point, the answer is everytime you
    download something or every 10 hours (approx).
    "Walt Morgan" <skeeter@tritel.net> wrote in message
    > When exactly does System Restore do a retore. Mine doesn't seem to do
    > one on any determinable regular basis. For instance I lookied
    > yesterday and it hadn't done a restore all month.
    >
    > Walt

    Walt,

    > When exactly does System Restore do a restore.

    When you ask it to. System Restore should never make a restore unless you
    first initiate one. What Win Me's state manager should be doing though is
    continuously scanning your system for amended or deleted system files and
    automatically creating a system restore checkpoint roughly every ten
    hours.

    If however your query is about lack of new automatic system checkpoints
    then please post back and someone will try and help you get system restore
    back working as it should.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Someone <someone@comcast.net> wrote:

    > If you mean when does it create a restore point, the answer is
    > everytime you download something or every 10 hours (approx).

    Incorrect. Fortunately system restore does not create a checkpoint each
    time you download something.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    What I really meat to ask was when does it create a checkpoint?
    It did create one yesterday at 6:54PM and another at 4:52 AM this
    morning. None prior to that for the month. It that holds true it,
    every 10 hours, it sould create another checkpoint about 2: 5x this
    afternoon? But, why no checkpoints before yesterday? How long do they
    stay once created?
    Thanks guys.

    Walt

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:03:21 +0100, "Mike M"
    <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    >Someone <someone@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> If you mean when does it create a restore point, the answer is
    >> everytime you download something or every 10 hours (approx).
    >
    >Incorrect. Fortunately system restore does not create a checkpoint each
    >time you download something.

    > How long do they stay once created?

    This is dependent on the space you have allocated to the archive (slider
    located at System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk) and the
    size/number of changes you make to your system. The more space allocated
    to the store the more checkpoints and associated files it can hold whereas
    if you are frequently changing or updating system components and this
    involves large files then more storage is required and less checkpoints
    retained. Older check points and their associated archived files are
    discarded as new checkpoints are created and files archived so as to keep
    the size of the store to <80-90% of the space allocated.

    > But, why no checkpoints before yesterday?

    There a re many possible explanations but without knowing what you were
    doing with your PC over the last few days virtually impossible to provide
    a definitive answer. For example if you made many changes or
    installed/removed a large application or deleted a large number of files
    with system restore monitored file extensions then you could have exceeded
    the space allocated to the archive and the store flushed itself. In
    addition either changing your hard disk layout or installing the 290700
    patch will automatically flush the store.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Walt Morgan <skeeter@tritel.net> wrote:

    > What I really meat to ask was when does it create a checkpoint?
    > It did create one yesterday at 6:54PM and another at 4:52 AM this
    > morning. None prior to that for the month. It that holds true it,
    > every 10 hours, it sould create another checkpoint about 2: 5x this
    > afternoon? But, why no checkpoints before yesterday? How long do they
    > stay once created?
    > Thanks guys.

    Thanks for the info Mike. It's much appreciated.
    Walt

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:31:51 +0100, "Mike M"
    <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    >> How long do they stay once created?
    >
    >This is dependent on the space you have allocated to the archive (slider
    >located at System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk) and the
    >size/number of changes you make to your system. The more space allocated
    >to the store the more checkpoints and associated files it can hold whereas
    >if you are frequently changing or updating system components and this
    >involves large files then more storage is required and less checkpoints
    >retained. Older check points and their associated archived files are
    >discarded as new checkpoints are created and files archived so as to keep
    >the size of the store to <80-90% of the space allocated.
    >
    >> But, why no checkpoints before yesterday?
    >
    >There a re many possible explanations but without knowing what you were
    >doing with your PC over the last few days virtually impossible to provide
    >a definitive answer. For example if you made many changes or
    >installed/removed a large application or deleted a large number of files
    >with system restore monitored file extensions then you could have exceeded
    >the space allocated to the archive and the store flushed itself. In
    >addition either changing your hard disk layout or installing the 290700
    >patch will automatically flush the store.

Microsoft System Restore Windows