Update caused boot problems

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

After the last update (about 2 days ago) to Win ME, I have been experiencing
boot problems. Windows boots to the point where the desktop is displayed
and the taskbar appears. The cursor changes to the busy cursor and hangs at
this point. The menu and desktop icons are inactive. The weirdest thing
is, if I wait long enough (at the hang point), SOMETIMES the error will
disappear and Windows will run correctly.

I wasn't present when the update was done so i don't what changes were
actually made. At the most, the last update was done about 3 months ago.

Windows will boot in the safe mode. I can single-step through without any
problems

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If the last update you are referring to is a Windows Update, I recommend
booting to Safe Mode, and examining the Installation History of Win Updates
to discover the identity of your last Win Update.
Please repost with such info, for additional recommendations.

If the last update is KB 891711, use msconfig/Startup, to disable the launch
of this service at boot, and retest your machine.
Do not uninstall this update, at this point.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Dennis" <pasalmon@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> After the last update (about 2 days ago) to Win ME, I have been
experiencing
> boot problems. Windows boots to the point where the desktop is displayed
> and the taskbar appears. The cursor changes to the busy cursor and hangs
at
> this point. The menu and desktop icons are inactive. The weirdest thing
> is, if I wait long enough (at the hang point), SOMETIMES the error will
> disappear and Windows will run correctly.
>
> I wasn't present when the update was done so i don't what changes were
> actually made. At the most, the last update was done about 3 months ago.
>
> Windows will boot in the safe mode. I can single-step through without any
> problems
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Jack
Well, looks like I was off a little. It had been since December 2004 since
an update had been done.

On 05/12/05, the update included KB 890175, 891711, 89178, 888113, and
890923.

I disabled KB 891711 in startup and the machine runs fine. Apparently all
the issues with 891711 haven't been resolved.

Thanks for the help.

> [...]

> "Dennis" <pasalmon@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> > After the last update (about 2 days ago) to Win ME, I have been
> experiencing
> > boot problems. Windows boots to the point where the desktop is
displayed
> > and the taskbar appears. The cursor changes to the busy cursor and
hangs
> at
> > this point. The menu and desktop icons are inactive. The weirdest
thing
> > is, if I wait long enough (at the hang point), SOMETIMES the error will
> > disappear and Windows will run correctly.
> >
> > I wasn't present when the update was done so i don't what changes were
> > actually made. At the most, the last update was done about 3 months
ago.

> > Windows will boot in the safe mode. I can single-step through without

Hey Jack,
I was under the impression that the issue with KB891711 had been
resolved. I have it installed on my Me box and no probs. If the update the
OP made was just a few days ago, he should have dl'd the 'fixed' version.
Heirloom, old and all the new drives arrived today

> If the last update you are referring to is a Windows Update, I recommend
> booting to Safe Mode, and examining the Installation History of Win
Updates
> to discover the identity of your last Win Update.
> Please repost with such info, for additional recommendations.
>
> If the last update is KB 891711, use msconfig/Startup, to disable the
launch
> of this service at boot, and retest your machine.
> Do not uninstall this update, at this point.
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Dennis" <pasalmon@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> > After the last update (about 2 days ago) to Win ME, I have been
> experiencing
> > boot problems. Windows boots to the point where the desktop is
displayed
> > and the taskbar appears. The cursor changes to the busy cursor and
hangs
> at
> > this point. The menu and desktop icons are inactive. The weirdest
thing
> > is, if I wait long enough (at the hang point), SOMETIMES the error will
> > disappear and Windows will run correctly.
> >
> > I wasn't present when the update was done so i don't what changes were
> > actually made. At the most, the last update was done about 3 months
ago.

> > Windows will boot in the safe mode. I can single-step through without
any
> > problems
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?

What's the version number for the file 891711.exe? Check by right
clicking and selecting Properties and look on the version tab. Depending
on how it was installed it is quite possible that it was the old version
(v4.10.2222) rather than the new (v4.10.2223). If that's the case return
to the Windows Update site and download and install the latest version of
this hotfix.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Dennis <pasalmon@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:

> Jack
> Well, looks like I was off a little. It had been since December 2004
> since an update had been done.
>
> On 05/12/05, the update included KB 890175, 891711, 89178, 888113, and
> 890923.
>
> I disabled KB 891711 in startup and the machine runs fine. Apparently
> all the issues with 891711 haven't been resolved.

Dennis, I concur with Mike M, and (this is especially for you, heirloom) my
earlier suspicion that you had installed the first KB891711 patch, not the
second, the revised version, just may be correct. The vesion numbers will
prove it.
The "in-place" installation of the new 891711 patch should resolve all of
your problems.

Mike M wrote:
> What's the version number for the file 891711.exe? Check by right
> clicking and selecting Properties and look on the version tab.
Depending
> on how it was installed it is quite possible that it was the old
version
> (v4.10.2222) rather than the new (v4.10.2223). If that's the case
return
> to the Windows Update site and download and install the latest
version of
> this hotfix.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

I installed the KB89177 "Critical" update on April 23, 2005. It was
version 4.10.2223. I didn't notice any problems at first. I've been
running a finely tuned, finely pruned copy of Win98SE on this system
since I built it in March, 2000 - 5 years.

I use the system for business almost daily. I started getting little
glitches since the update that I've never run into on this system
before. I thought that they may have been due to to some other changes
that I made.

I used the system yesterday morning with no problems. When I came home
yesterday evening and went to check E-mails, Comcast cable wasn't up so
I went online using my AT&T dialup connection. That's when everything
started acting up. I run AdSubtract popup blocker with IE 5.01 which
runs from a proxy server. It allows me to easily dump Temp IE files and
cookies. My system kept locking up, BSODs and all of the other problems
that have been reported.

Anyway, about 6 hours later I got my system back by means of a process
of elimination. I ran a number of AV and Spyware programs and checked
MSConfig where I found the KB891711.EXE entry. I did a Google search
and saw all of the messages.

I unchecked KB891711 and things were better. This evening I had some
more problems working on a Word Doc file on another networked Win98SE
PC. It kept locking up and reboots would hang just like before. I
uninstalled KB891711 through Control Panel / Add-Subtract. We'll see
how that works.

I've installed all of the MS updates as they came out except IE
upgrades beyond 5.01 SP2 (IE 5.5,IE6). I'm really pissed about this
problem because I depend on this PC and it's been trouble free for a
number of years.

I run Win98SE on 10 desktops and laptops (I have DOS 6.0, 7.0,
WFWG3.11, NT3.51, Win95b, NT4 and Win2k on a couple of multiboot
systems and XP on 2 laptops).

I like Win98SE because I can quickly and easily fix just about any
problem. Also when it does crash, I can do a 3 finger or hard reset and
be back up and running before Win2k or XP releases control.

I'm wondering if this isn't some kind of "benign" neglect on the part
of MS to get frustrated users who install this Win98/ME update to
switch to XP ??? It could happen!

Chas.

To be honest I doubt that your problems are due to the KB891711 patch.
The messages you found using Google related to the old version of the
patch ...2222 and not the version you have installed. You mention using
IE5.01. This version of Internet Explorer has been unsupported by
Microsoft for some years - maybe as many as five, and could well be the
cause of some of your problems.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Chas. <verktygjunk@aol.com> wrote:

> I installed the KB89177 "Critical" update on April 23, 2005. It was
> version 4.10.2223. I didn't notice any problems at first. I've been
> running a finely tuned, finely pruned copy of Win98SE on this system
> since I built it in March, 2000 - 5 years.
>
> I use the system for business almost daily. I started getting little
> glitches since the update that I've never run into on this system
> before. I thought that they may have been due to to some other changes
> that I made.
>
> I used the system yesterday morning with no problems. When I came home
> yesterday evening and went to check E-mails, Comcast cable wasn't up
> so I went online using my AT&T dialup connection. That's when
> everything started acting up. I run AdSubtract popup blocker with IE
> 5.01 which runs from a proxy server. It allows me to easily dump Temp
> IE files and cookies. My system kept locking up, BSODs and all of the
> other problems that have been reported.
>
> Anyway, about 6 hours later I got my system back by means of a process
> of elimination. I ran a number of AV and Spyware programs and checked
> MSConfig where I found the KB891711.EXE entry. I did a Google search
> and saw all of the messages.
>
> I unchecked KB891711 and things were better. This evening I had some
> more problems working on a Word Doc file on another networked Win98SE
> PC. It kept locking up and reboots would hang just like before. I
> uninstalled KB891711 through Control Panel / Add-Subtract. We'll see
> how that works.
>
> I've installed all of the MS updates as they came out except IE
> upgrades beyond 5.01 SP2 (IE 5.5,IE6). I'm really pissed about this
> problem because I depend on this PC and it's been trouble free for a
> number of years.
>
> I run Win98SE on 10 desktops and laptops (I have DOS 6.0, 7.0,
> WFWG3.11, NT3.51, Win95b, NT4 and Win2k on a couple of multiboot
> systems and XP on 2 laptops).
>
> I like Win98SE because I can quickly and easily fix just about any
> problem. Also when it does crash, I can do a 3 finger or hard reset
> and be back up and running before Win2k or XP releases control.
>
> I'm wondering if this isn't some kind of "benign" neglect on the part
> of MS to get frustrated users who install this Win98/ME update to
> switch to XP ??? It could happen!
>
> Chas.

Chas., I again concur with Mike M, and suggest that in light of your careful
manner, and numerous Win98 boxes, that you post in some Win98 and IE6 MS
ng's for comments about upgrading your IE and OE. I suspect you will find
that many are having no problems. The additional power and security of IE 6
will be a real benefit. For example, its Add-Remove Programs repair tool
can be very useful.

I also urge you to migrate your "mission critical" tools to some version of
XP, on modern hardware, where the possibliity of a disasterous failure is
far less.
Presumably, you already know about the necessity of a backup system.
> To be honest I doubt that your problems are due to the KB891711 patch.
> The messages you found using Google related to the old version of the
> patch ...2222 and not the version you have installed. You mention using
> IE5.01. This version of Internet Explorer has been unsupported by
> Microsoft for some years - maybe as many as five, and could well be the
> cause of some of your problems.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Chas. <verktygjunk@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I installed the KB89177 "Critical" update on April 23, 2005. It was
> > version 4.10.2223. I didn't notice any problems at first. I've been
> > running a finely tuned, finely pruned copy of Win98SE on this system
> > since I built it in March, 2000 - 5 years.
> >
> > I use the system for business almost daily. I started getting little
> > glitches since the update that I've never run into on this system
> > before. I thought that they may have been due to to some other changes
> > that I made.
> >
> > I used the system yesterday morning with no problems. When I came home
> > yesterday evening and went to check E-mails, Comcast cable wasn't up
> > so I went online using my AT&T dialup connection. That's when
> > everything started acting up. I run AdSubtract popup blocker with IE
> > 5.01 which runs from a proxy server. It allows me to easily dump Temp
> > IE files and cookies. My system kept locking up, BSODs and all of the
> > other problems that have been reported.
> >
> > Anyway, about 6 hours later I got my system back by means of a process
> > of elimination. I ran a number of AV and Spyware programs and checked
> > MSConfig where I found the KB891711.EXE entry. I did a Google search
> > and saw all of the messages.
> >
> > I unchecked KB891711 and things were better. This evening I had some
> > more problems working on a Word Doc file on another networked Win98SE
> > PC. It kept locking up and reboots would hang just like before. I
> > uninstalled KB891711 through Control Panel / Add-Subtract. We'll see
> > how that works.
> >
> > I've installed all of the MS updates as they came out except IE
> > upgrades beyond 5.01 SP2 (IE 5.5,IE6). I'm really pissed about this
> > problem because I depend on this PC and it's been trouble free for a
> > number of years.
> >
> > I run Win98SE on 10 desktops and laptops (I have DOS 6.0, 7.0,
> > WFWG3.11, NT3.51, Win95b, NT4 and Win2k on a couple of multiboot
> > systems and XP on 2 laptops).
> >
> > I like Win98SE because I can quickly and easily fix just about any
> > problem. Also when it does crash, I can do a 3 finger or hard reset
> > and be back up and running before Win2k or XP releases control.
> >
> > I'm wondering if this isn't some kind of "benign" neglect on the part
> > of MS to get frustrated users who install this Win98/ME update to
> > switch to XP ??? It could happen!
> >
> > Chas.

Thanks for your feedback. When I right clicked on the KB891711.EXE file
and checked the the version tab under properties it said 4.10.0.2223
and the companion file Q891711.DLL said 4.10.0.2222. Never the less, I
experienced many of the same problems reported by other users.

Here's the Registry Keys that were installed and uninstalled:

REGISTRY KEY VALUES ADDED: (4)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{32b1db33-27b9-43b7-8904-d5352decc292} @=Windows 98 KB891711
Update
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{32b1db33-27b9-43b7-8904-d5352decc292} IsInstalled=1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{32b1db33-27b9-43b7-8904-d5352decc292} Locale=EN
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{32b1db33-27b9-43b7-8904-d5352decc292} Version=4.10.0.2222

This shows 4.10.0.2222. Hmmm.

Anyway, this system seems to be running normal again after I
uninstalled the update. As I mentioned I had a few glitches after I
installed the update but nothing I could pin down until I tried my
dialup connection when I couldn't connect to Comcast Cable DSL because
the service was down. I was able to connect to the internet once and
then everything started acting up, freezing, not shuting down, hanging
on reboot.

>You mention using IE5.01. This version of Internet Explorer has been
unsupported by
>Microsoft for some years - maybe as many as five, and could well be
the cause of some of your >problems.

I beg to differ. MS might not be officially supporting IE5.01 but they
are still providing security updates, here's the latest from Feb 16,
2005:

REGISTRY KEYS ADDED: (2)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{38c91f78-0b74-451c-bcc5-95e5b3131849}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\ieupdate

REGISTRY KEY VALUES ADDED: (14)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{38c91f78-0b74-451c-bcc5-95e5b3131849} @=Q891781
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{38c91f78-0b74-451c-bcc5-95e5b3131849} ComponentID=Q891781
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{38c91f78-0b74-451c-bcc5-95e5b3131849} IsInstalled=1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{38c91f78-0b74-451c-bcc5-95e5b3131849} Version=6,1,0,9231
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\ieupdate
BackupFileName=C:\Program Files\Uninstall
Information\ieupdate\ieupdate.DAT
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\ieupdate
BackupFileSize=61152
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\ieupdate
BackupPath=C:\Program Files\Uninstall Information\ieupdate
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\ieupdate
BackupRegistry=y
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\ieupdate
BackupRegPathName=C:\PROGRA~1\UNINST~1\IEUPDATE\AINF0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\ieupdate
BackupRegSize=8192
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\ieupdate
ComponentVersion=6109231
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\ieupdate
InstallINFFile=C:\TEMP\IXP000.TMP\Q891781_d.inf
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\ieupdate
InstallINFSection=DefaultInstall
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
UpdateInf=C:\WINDOWS\INF\Q891781.inf

FILES AND DIRECTORIES ADDED: (50)
c:\Program Files\Uninstall Information\ieupdate
c:\Program Files\Uninstall Information\ieupdate\AINF0000
c:\Program Files\Uninstall Information\ieupdate\ieupdate.DAT
c:\Program Files\Uninstall Information\ieupdate\ieupdate.INI
c:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\UserData\I1MPW301\oWindowsUpdate[4].xml
c:\WINDOWS\ieuninst.exe
c:\WINDOWS\INF\Q891781.inf
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\monitor.cat
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\msprint3.cat
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\Q891781_ME.cat

FILES CHANGED: (32)
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TRIEDIT\DHTMLED.OCX
c:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4\iuhist.xml
c:\WINDOWS\Windows Update.log

I have updated 6.x on several systems and there are a few thing that I
don't like about it. I also have Opera, Mozilla and Firefox installed
on several of my other PCs.

I have 5.01SP2 tweaked and I've rarely had any problems with it other
than Spyware and Hijack attempts which the later versions are not
immune to either.

Chas.

I already have later versions of IE and OE on other PCs. I prefer
5.01SP2 and OE5.5 on this system, they have served me well.

I'm a late adopter, I used a tweaked WFWG 3.11 on top of IBM PCDOS 7.0
until Win95B OSR 2 came out and concurrently I was running NT3.51
untill I had to switch to NT4 in 1996. I ran Win95B OSR 2.01 until 2000
when I switched to Win98SE. I'm just now using Win2k on several systems
because some software that use requires it.

In addition I have NT4 Server, Win2k Server, XP Enterprise 5 user pack?
and an unopened copy of Win 2003 Enterprise Edition - all legal - (ME
is one of the few versions of Widows after 3.1 that I don't own). I
also have XP on 2 relatively new laptops. It's not a matter of
finances, I prefer Win98SE to all of the others for a lot of reasons.

I use this Win98SE PC for most of my online requirements. I'm running
behind a hardware firewall and when necessary I run Kerio firewall when
I doing online research.

I do a lot of technical research online and frequently get into Eastern
European/Russian web sites (engineering, not porn).

One of the things that I like about Win98SE is that I can do a quick
recovery when needed. I'm running an older program called Second Chance
from PowerQuest. It's the precursor to the system recovery features of
ME, Win2k and XP. I've only had to use it a few times but it's saved my
bacon.

I backup with a SCSI DAT tape drive plus all of my data is regularly
synchronized to at least 1 other PC and a laptop.

And NO! the possibility of a disasterous failure is not any greater
than with NT, Win2k or XP. In one week, a few months ago one of my NT
systems and one of my Win2k systems took dumps plus a XP system that I
support went bonkers after additional drives were added to each of
these systems. The NT and Win2k systems were on multiboot boxes so it
wasn't an easy job of just runing a backup or reinstall.

Win98SE doesn't care how many drive you throw in (A-Z plus up to 16 on
each SCSI card and so on). After a week of screwing around, I
reinstalled NT4 and XP plus I finally was able to recover the Win2k
system. All extenuating circumstances that I don't want ot get in to.

This rant is the result of seeing too many "oh you have to ugrade to
the latest from MS, Linux etc." messages. I DO use Win98SE for mission
critical situations. The 2 biggest causes of Windows problems are
Systems Files that get overwritten by setup programs and bad memory! I
control both of those situations so I have very few problems with my
PCs.

I jumped into this thread to put in my 2 cents worth in because I'm
pissed at the problems caused by an MS "Critical Update"!

Chas.

> I beg to differ.

You can beg to differ all you like but what follows is quite unambiguous.
IE5.01 is not a supported browser for any Win 9x system however IE5.01 SP3
& SP4 continue to be supported by Microsoft but only for Win2K. Note that
the 891781 patch is NOT a browser specific patch so the availability of
this patch for Win98/98SE in no way supports your stance that IE5.01 is
still supported in Win 98/98SE but rather confirms the statement below
that critical hotfixes will continue to be provided until June 2006.

See "Product Lifecycle Dates - Windows Product Family"
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewin. If you read Note 9 this refers
you to "Lifecycle Supported Service Packs"
(http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps) where you will find it stated
that support for IE5.01 SP2 ceased for Win98/98SE on 30 Jun 2003. Support
for IE5.01 continues however _only_ when installed on Win2k. Given this
clear statement you cannot in any way be certain that your problems aren't
the result of running an unsupported browser given that no security
patches for IE5.01 on 98/98SE have been released for some time. Microsoft
will however continue to provide critical security updates until 30 June
2006 (Note 17 in the first document) however these will only be for the
supported browser which for Win98/98SE is IE6 SP1.
--

> > I beg to differ.
>
> You can beg to differ all you like but what follows is quite
unambiguous.
> IE5.01 is not a supported browser for any Win 9x system however
IE5.01 SP3
> & SP4 continue to be supported by Microsoft but only for Win2K.
Note that
> the 891781 patch is NOT a browser specific patch so the availability
of
> this patch for Win98/98SE in no way supports your stance that IE5.01
is
> still supported in Win 98/98SE but rather confirms the statement
below
> that critical hotfixes will continue to be provided until June 2006.
>
> See "Product Lifecycle Dates - Windows Product Family"
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewin. If you read Note 9 this
refers
> you to "Lifecycle Supported Service Packs"
> (http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps) where you will find it
stated
> that support for IE5.01 SP2 ceased for Win98/98SE on 30 Jun 2003.
Support
> for IE5.01 continues however _only_ when installed on Win2k. Given
this
> clear statement you cannot in any way be certain that your problems
aren't
> the result of running an unsupported browser given that no security
> patches for IE5.01 on 98/98SE have been released for some time.
Microsoft
> will however continue to provide critical security updates until 30
June
> 2006 (Note 17 in the first document) however these will only be for
the
> supported browser which for Win98/98SE is IE6 SP1.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mike,

Thanks for your attempts to help but I was mainly on a rant because my
baby was messed up. I'm running Win98SE on an Asus K7M with a 1000Mhz
AMD Athlon that I built in 1999. I have newer faster systems but this
is my favorite.

After uninstalling KB891711 on the PCs that I updated, everything is
back to normal - except the N Key on my ca 1995 Dell Keyboard just
started acting up - it's a Wintel plot! :)

Also, I was coming into this thread from Google Groups and I didn't
see that this was a Widows ME NG, my apologies.

Chas.