ARGH! Power Supply...

Hey everyone. Just a little venting/questioning here...I finally got
the last piece of my new computer today (sound card) and got everything
togethor tonight. All the parts are brand new and I'm thinking this
thing will be killer. But when I try to boot the computer, I get an
error from my brand new video card (Sapphire/ATI X800 XT Platinum
Edition) that I have not properly connected the v/c to my power
supply...which I *have* done. Long story short, it seems that the 350
watt power supply that came with my new ANTEC tower isn't nearly big
enough to run everything this PC has in it, and the error from my v/c
is probably because it can't draw enough power. So I'm getting a 500
watt P/S (along with 2 extra case fans) from Newegg.com in the hopes
that the issue will die. Anyone else had this problem?

Without numbers from an essential 3.5 digit multimeter, then
your conclusions are called wild speculation. The car does
not work. Therefore the gasoline must be bad. Therefore the
tires must be defective. Therefore the ignition key is
defective. Using your logic, all these must be true. That
is how children think. You were taught how to reach logical
conclusions in junior high school science. First get facts.
Only later are conclusions drawn. Where are the facts? Where
are those essential voltage numbers? To post a 'power supply
too small', first report which voltage is overloaded. Without
those voltages - those numbers, then you have no idea. You
must know numbers - no exceptions - to achieve logical
conclusion.

Another 'solution' based upon insufficient technical
knowledge (where are the numbers?) is a wild speculation for
more fans. More fans is a classic example of decision based
upon urban myths. One chassis fan was more than enough. Do
the numbers. How much lower will a second fan lower internal
case temperatures? Wild speculation is being used as if it
was logic. Long story short: you know so much and yet don't
have any numbers. That makes you your own worst enemy.
Demonstrated was junk science reasoning.

Get a meter and first learn facts. Forget the nonsense
promoted by naive 'expert' for more fans.

"OneActor1@aol.com" wrote:
> Hey everyone. Just a little venting/questioning here...I finally got
> the last piece of my new computer today (sound card) and got everything
> togethor tonight. All the parts are brand new and I'm thinking this
> thing will be killer. But when I try to boot the computer, I get an
> error from my brand new video card (Sapphire/ATI X800 XT Platinum
> Edition) that I have not properly connected the v/c to my power
> supply...which I *have* done. Long story short, it seems that the 350
> watt power supply that came with my new ANTEC tower isn't nearly big
> enough to run everything this PC has in it, and the error from my v/c
> is probably because it can't draw enough power. So I'm getting a 500
> watt P/S (along with 2 extra case fans) from Newegg.com in the hopes
> that the issue will die. Anyone else had this problem?

jad

That
> is how children think. You were taught how to reach logical
> conclusions in junior high school science

you never can resist those condescending one liners can you?....if you
only knew how many people you lose by doing that..... and that toady
giving you the " well said" comment was, icing on the cake.

All your valuable advice sometimes gets wasted... shame.

"w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Without numbers from an essential 3.5 digit multimeter, then
> your conclusions are called wild speculation. The car does
> not work. Therefore the gasoline must be bad. Therefore the
> tires must be defective. Therefore the ignition key is
> defective. Using your logic, all these must be true. That
> is how children think. You were taught how to reach logical
> conclusions in junior high school science. First get facts.
> Only later are conclusions drawn. Where are the facts? Where
> are those essential voltage numbers? To post a 'power supply
> too small', first report which voltage is overloaded. Without
> those voltages - those numbers, then you have no idea. You
> must know numbers - no exceptions - to achieve logical
> conclusion.
>
> Another 'solution' based upon insufficient technical
> knowledge (where are the numbers?) is a wild speculation for
> more fans. More fans is a classic example of decision based
> upon urban myths. One chassis fan was more than enough. Do
> the numbers. How much lower will a second fan lower internal
> case temperatures? Wild speculation is being used as if it
> was logic. Long story short: you know so much and yet don't
> have any numbers. That makes you your own worst enemy.
> Demonstrated was junk science reasoning.
>
> Get a meter and first learn facts. Forget the nonsense
> promoted by naive 'expert' for more fans.
>
> "OneActor1@aol.com" wrote:
> > Hey everyone. Just a little venting/questioning here...I finally
got
> > the last piece of my new computer today (sound card) and got
everything
> > togethor tonight. All the parts are brand new and I'm thinking
this
> > thing will be killer. But when I try to boot the computer, I get
an
> > error from my brand new video card (Sapphire/ATI X800 XT Platinum
> > Edition) that I have not properly connected the v/c to my power
> > supply...which I *have* done. Long story short, it seems that the
350
> > watt power supply that came with my new ANTEC tower isn't nearly
big
> > enough to run everything this PC has in it, and the error from my
v/c
> > is probably because it can't draw enough power. So I'm getting a
500
> > watt P/S (along with 2 extra case fans) from Newegg.com in the
hopes
> > that the issue will die. Anyone else had this problem?

Well said.

w_tom wrote:

> Without numbers from an essential 3.5 digit multimeter, then
> your conclusions are called wild speculation. The car does
> not work. Therefore the gasoline must be bad. Therefore the
> tires must be defective. Therefore the ignition key is
> defective. Using your logic, all these must be true. That
> is how children think. You were taught how to reach logical
> conclusions in junior high school science. First get facts.
> Only later are conclusions drawn. Where are the facts? Where
> are those essential voltage numbers? To post a 'power supply
> too small', first report which voltage is overloaded. Without
> those voltages - those numbers, then you have no idea. You
> must know numbers - no exceptions - to achieve logical
> conclusion.
>
> Another 'solution' based upon insufficient technical
> knowledge (where are the numbers?) is a wild speculation for
> more fans. More fans is a classic example of decision based
> upon urban myths. One chassis fan was more than enough. Do
> the numbers. How much lower will a second fan lower internal
> case temperatures? Wild speculation is being used as if it
> was logic. Long story short: you know so much and yet don't
> have any numbers. That makes you your own worst enemy.
> Demonstrated was junk science reasoning.
>
> Get a meter and first learn facts. Forget the nonsense
> promoted by naive 'expert' for more fans.
>
> "OneActor1@aol.com" wrote:
> > Hey everyone. Just a little venting/questioning here...I finally got
> > the last piece of my new computer today (sound card) and got everything
> > togethor tonight. All the parts are brand new and I'm thinking this
> > thing will be killer. But when I try to boot the computer, I get an
> > error from my brand new video card (Sapphire/ATI X800 XT Platinum
> > Edition) that I have not properly connected the v/c to my power
> > supply...which I *have* done. Long story short, it seems that the 350
> > watt power supply that came with my new ANTEC tower isn't nearly big
> > enough to run everything this PC has in it, and the error from my v/c
> > is probably because it can't draw enough power. So I'm getting a 500
> > watt P/S (along with 2 extra case fans) from Newegg.com in the hopes
> > that the issue will die. Anyone else had this problem?

steveh

<OneActor1@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone. Just a little venting/questioning here...I finally got
> the last piece of my new computer today (sound card) and got everything
> togethor tonight. All the parts are brand new and I'm thinking this
> thing will be killer. But when I try to boot the computer, I get an
> error from my brand new video card (Sapphire/ATI X800 XT Platinum
> Edition) that I have not properly connected the v/c to my power
> supply...which I *have* done. Long story short, it seems that the 350
> watt power supply that came with my new ANTEC tower isn't nearly big
> enough to run everything this PC has in it, and the error from my v/c
> is probably because it can't draw enough power. So I'm getting a 500
> watt P/S (along with 2 extra case fans) from Newegg.com in the hopes
> that the issue will die. Anyone else had this problem?

Have you tried starting the PC with just the video card and maybe just one
drive connected?
If you do, do you still get the same error from the v/c? If you do, it's
unlikely to be the PSU as you will have just taken most of the load off it.
What other parts do you have connected to the PSU?

SteveH

Well, Tom, while I surely apprciate your long winded attack on my
logic, I can tell you that there is a method to my madness and that I
do not have the neccesary equipment to meausre the voltage output of
the power supply that came in my case. My logic is as such: whilst the
box that my v/c came in says that only a 300 watt power supply is
neccesary, people on other newsgroups have reported operating problems
(and even boot problems) with this same card when using sub-450 watt
power supplies with insufficent voltage output. Hoping that this is the
problem, I have invested a nominal fee into a larger power supply, so
that I do not need to go through the tedious process of returning the
video card to the internet vendor from which it was purchased. Should
this new power supply not remedy the problem, it is easily returned to
a local store and I shall then go about exchanging the video card in
the hope that this is simply a lemon. I apologize if my logic does not
meet your strandards, but please try to be a bit more constructive, or
please discontinue your posting to me.

I tried connecting the video card and just the hard disk, same error
occured. I tried just connecting the video card and nothing else, and
still had the same error. I'm thinking that it's the power supply for
two reasons though:

1. The fan on the v/c spins up and then slows way down during boot-up
before I get the error. This makes me think that the card is putting
itself into "safe mode" because it can't draw enough power.

2. I found posts on other newsgroups from users of this card saying
that it really requires a 450+ watt power supply with high current on
the 12-volt rail. This is despite the fact that the package clearly
says a 300 watt p/s is enough.

I found a power supply that should work on newegg for $47, it's 500
watts and meets the voltage criteria outlined by another poster. A
local store sells the same power supply for $56. If the new p/s fails
to solve the problem, I'll either send it back to newegg or return it
to the local store, and then send back the video card for a
replacement. It's warrantied by Sapphire and there's a 30-day return
window from the vendor.

There was no personal attack. It was straight hard logic.
For example, total power supply wattage says little useful.
Wattage (current) on each voltage is important. Again
demonstrates why the 3.5 digit multimeter (that costs far less
than anything else being purchased) is so essential. Which
voltage does not supply sufficient current? You should have
known that fact up front.

What is the current rating of that Antec power supply, what
is the current demands of that video card, and what is the
current capabilities of that new power supply? The Antec
manufacturer has a long history of being honest. What is the
credibility of that other power supply manufacturer? Does he
hide his inferior product by not providing numerical specs?
Again, the numbers are important.

Does that new power supply include a long list of numerical
specs? If not, a supply can 'forget' to include essential
parts. This 'forgetting' is common in the clone computer
business where people don't first demand numbers. Notice the
many who suffered power supply failure that also damaged other
computer components? Damage directly traceable to human
failure. They too got a supply that 'forgot' to include
essential components. Damage created by a supply that did
not provide the long list of specifications - the numbers.

In power supply problems, those numbers take but a minute to
know the answer - definitively. There is no politically
correct way to say it. Missing were the numbers. You
speculated a conclusion without knowing what was and was not
wrong. That 3.5 digit multimeter solves mysteries quickly by
providing facts. Get the numbers. For example, what are the
current demands for that video card on each voltage. An
overall 300 watt or 450 watt number says little useful.

Watts and price are mostly useless numbers that a salesman
promotes to look knowledgeable. You need current requirements
for each voltage AND you need numbers for other critical
functions that must be included in all power supplies.
Minimally acceptable supplies sell for about $65 retail. But
price does not 'prove' sufficient quality. A low price
suggests the power supply is inferior. You require a long
list of numerical specs before considering any power supply.
Cheaper supplies don't provide those numbers - for good
reason. Numbers would have quickly identified the problem AND
do identify minimally acceptable products.

I make no apologizes for being blunt honest. The alternative
is to sugar coat - lie. Sorry it makes you upset. But I do
not apologize for presently the facts bluntly. You took no
numbers. Then you wildly speculated. If a power supply was
your problem, the 3.5 digit multimeter told you definitively
in less than one minute. Don't make the same mistake again by
buying power supplies on wattage and price. First get the
numbers.

Currently you don't even know if the power supply is too
small or the video card is defective. A meter would have
provided that number in less than a minute. This is why we
first demand numbers.