Wireless User First Time Domain Login

Scenario:

Wireless-only Windows XP laptop is aleady a domain member.

User tries to log in on laptop for the first time - and cannot because
wireless network connection is not active till after login. Since user has
never logged in on this laptop, there is no cached login information.

Question: How do you enable the wireless connections BEFORE login so that
connection to DC or IAS is possible for a first-time login?

Thank you for your help.

Brent

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

> Question: How do you enable the wireless connections BEFORE
> login so that connection to DC or IAS is possible for a first-time login?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Brent

Talk to your wireless provider/administrator. It can be configured for a
wireless connection before a user login. You must be using some kind of
userID/Pswd for some kind of authorization, security or metering purposes.

-Frank

Hi Frank.

I am the administrator. If it can be done, how? A policy? Registry hack?
I need some specifics.

Brent

"Frankster" wrote:

> > Question: How do you enable the wireless connections BEFORE
> > login so that connection to DC or IAS is possible for a first-time login?
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> >
> > Brent
>
> Talk to your wireless provider/administrator. It can be configured for a
> wireless connection before a user login. You must be using some kind of
> userID/Pswd for some kind of authorization, security or metering purposes.
>
> -Frank

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

All I know to do is asked you what kind of wireless setup you have now.
What model cards, access points, and/or routers.

I use a wireless access point on my wired network. All my machines
wireless-only machines remain connected all the time, evidenced by the fact
that they go out for AV updates automatically and I can map to and use
shared drives on each. This is with no one logged onto the laptops. So...
I'm pretty confused as to why you do not have a connection prior to user
logon.

Why not just explain your entire network setup and where/how wireless is
implemented.

-Frank

"Brent Williams" <BrentWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Frank.
>
> I am the administrator. If it can be done, how? A policy? Registry hack?
> I need some specifics.
>
> Brent
>
> "Frankster" wrote:
>
>> > Question: How do you enable the wireless connections BEFORE
>> > login so that connection to DC or IAS is possible for a first-time
>> > login?
>> >
>> > Thank you for your help.
>> >
>> > Brent
>>
>> Talk to your wireless provider/administrator. It can be configured for a
>> wireless connection before a user login. You must be using some kind of
>> userID/Pswd for some kind of authorization, security or metering
>> purposes.
>>
>> -Frank

Hi Frank,

I've seen this problem with Proxim ABG cards (and others), using Proxim and
Linksys APs. In all cases the workstations are Win XP SP2 using the built-in
MS wireless client. Do you use the MS wireless client?

Brent

"Frankster" wrote:

> All I know to do is asked you what kind of wireless setup you have now.
> What model cards, access points, and/or routers.
>
> I use a wireless access point on my wired network. All my machines
> wireless-only machines remain connected all the time, evidenced by the fact
> that they go out for AV updates automatically and I can map to and use
> shared drives on each. This is with no one logged onto the laptops. So...
> I'm pretty confused as to why you do not have a connection prior to user
> logon.
>
> Why not just explain your entire network setup and where/how wireless is
> implemented.
>
> -Frank
>
> "Brent Williams" <BrentWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Frank.
> >
> > I am the administrator. If it can be done, how? A policy? Registry hack?
> > I need some specifics.
> >
> > Brent

> >> Talk to your wireless provider/administrator. It can be configured for a
> >> wireless connection before a user login. You must be using some kind of
> >> userID/Pswd for some kind of authorization, security or metering
> >> purposes.
> >>
> >> -Frank

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Well, I don't know what you mean by "MS Wireless Client".

I have a MS AP plugged into one of my network switches. One of my wireless
laptops uses a MS PC wireless card and the other uses the built-in Intel
on-board wireless interface.

I have a question. After a user logs onto your laptops, does he have to do
anything to get connected or does it happen automatically as soon as he logs
on?

Also, I'm assuming that you are not setup in Ad-hoc mode, right?

Also, what kind of authentication are you using. Mine is open, none
required.