freeze up

Started having lock up about a month ago. Running a Dell 4100, 40G, 512 RAM,
Win ME. Sometimes the pointer will move and other times it locks also. When I
try to use alt,ctrl,del usually get a system busy blue screen and have to do
the reset, scan disk routine. Have run spybot, cwshredder, adaware.
Reinstalled ME and re-downloaded IE6 SP1 and system restore fix. Downloaded
all critical patches, updates, have McAfee up to date, ZoneAlarm Seems like
this thing was programmed to screw up after the warranty ran out LOL. The
only recent program installed was for a Canon Camera 10D. Help needed.
Thx
Kelly Smith
Ohio

Howdy Kelly,

Is the locking up occurring randomly or when doing something specific ?
What is listed when you press ALT+CTRL+DEL ?
Did the locking up start occurring after installing the Canon software
or did it start happening after installing other software/updates ?
When you reinstalled ME did you first uninstall IE6 SP1 ?
What is the size of the System Restore Data Store ?
( See Data Store on this page :
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267951 )
What is the size of the Temporary Interent Files cache ?
( Open Internet Options in the Control Panel. Under Temporary Internet
files, click the Settings button. Set the cache size to 10MB if on
broadband. 50MB if on dialup )

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

kbsmith9 wrote:

> Started having lock up about a month ago. Running a Dell 4100, 40G, 512 RAM,
> Win ME. Sometimes the pointer will move and other times it locks also. When I
> try to use alt,ctrl,del usually get a system busy blue screen and have to do
> the reset, scan disk routine. Have run spybot, cwshredder, adaware.
> Reinstalled ME and re-downloaded IE6 SP1 and system restore fix. Downloaded
> all critical patches, updates, have McAfee up to date, ZoneAlarm Seems like
> this thing was programmed to screw up after the warranty ran out LOL. The
> only recent program installed was for a Canon Camera 10D. Help needed.
> Thx
> Kelly Smith
> Ohio

Mow, when lockup occurs and I try to use alt,ctrl,cel it usually goes to a
blue screen saying system is busy, gives me the option to wait or hit alt,
ctrl,del again for a restart. This doesn't work and I have to hit reset and
let scan disk run. Once in a while scan disk doesn't start and I have to hit
reset again. The cache was 45, I reset to 10. I did not uninstall IE6 Sp1 but
used a work around in order to re-install. I'm not aquainted with the system
restore data file although I know how to disable and enable system restore.
Lockup is random even in outlook express. Sometimes going Start, shutdown,
restart does not work and have to hit reset. Not getting any other error
message popups. OK I found it restore space is set to max 4577.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Howdy Kelly,
>
> Is the locking up occurring randomly or when doing something specific ?
> What is listed when you press ALT+CTRL+DEL ?
> Did the locking up start occurring after installing the Canon software
> or did it start happening after installing other software/updates ?
> When you reinstalled ME did you first uninstall IE6 SP1 ?
> What is the size of the System Restore Data Store ?
> ( See Data Store on this page :
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267951 )
> What is the size of the Temporary Interent Files cache ?
> ( Open Internet Options in the Control Panel. Under Temporary Internet
> files, click the Settings button. Set the cache size to 10MB if on
> broadband. 50MB if on dialup )
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
> kbsmith9 wrote:
>
> > Started having lock up about a month ago. Running a Dell 4100, 40G, 512 RAM,
> > Win ME. Sometimes the pointer will move and other times it locks also. When I
> > try to use alt,ctrl,del usually get a system busy blue screen and have to do
> > the reset, scan disk routine. Have run spybot, cwshredder, adaware.
> > Reinstalled ME and re-downloaded IE6 SP1 and system restore fix. Downloaded
> > all critical patches, updates, have McAfee up to date, ZoneAlarm Seems like
> > this thing was programmed to screw up after the warranty ran out LOL. The
> > only recent program installed was for a Canon Camera 10D. Help needed.
> > Thx
> > Kelly Smith
> > Ohio

1) Reduce the size of the Restore Data Store to 200MB. If you are going
to install a large suite of programs, such as MS Office, increase it to
400-500 MB's.

2) The lockups *could* be happening due to overheating. When was the
last time you removed the tower and cleaned out the inside ?

3) There is no need to have scan disk running on a bad shutdown. You can
always run it when *you* want it to. To disable this go to Start, Run,
and type in
msconfig
Click OK.
Click the Advanced tab.
Check the box next to " Disable Scandisk after bad shutdown "
Click Apply, then Close.

Restart the system to Safe Mode by repeatedly pressing the F8 key prior
to Windows loading. Now run scandisk from there to completion to confirm
that there are no errors on the Hard Drive.
While still in Safe Mode, run the Disk Defragmenter.

5) Reboot to normal Windows mode and see if the lockups still occur.

If the issue is not related to overheating nor the HD's integrity than
you could test the memory :
DocMemory General Information
http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/testerFaq/view.asp?cat=63&tableView=question

DocMemory PC RAM Diagnostic
http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp

HTH,
MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for posting this. Yes, it may be a faulty video card, also.
> I'm betting on "dust bunnies" ;)
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten

I had one of the WinME Dimension 4100 that had one of the reaaallllly
loud drives and/or fans. I complained so much Dell sent out a tech to
replace both. Once the tower was opened, I was startled by the amount of
dust that was on the front of device. I actually used my rug vacuum to
clean it off it was so thick (carefully). If your tower sits on your
carpet you may have the same problem.

Rita