Can I read a windowsme drive using XP?

Windows ME
Compaq Presario 128K

My drive 0 died, but I backed up my data on a second hard drive (Drive 1 =
Western Digital 30Gig) inside the computer.
I just bought a new computer:
emachines 256K
Windows XP

Can I plug my old Drive 1 with all the Windows ME stuff on it into this new
machine and read it to get my data back?

Thanks
Steve

Steve,

Yes. XP can access drives using either the FAT or NTFS filing systems so
should have no trouble accessing files on a FAT disk that was written to
by Win Me.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Steve Frye <frye@route36.com> wrote:

> Windows ME
> Compaq Presario 128K
>
> My drive 0 died, but I backed up my data on a second hard drive
> (Drive 1 = Western Digital 30Gig) inside the computer.
> I just bought a new computer:
> emachines 256K
> Windows XP
>
> Can I plug my old Drive 1 with all the Windows ME stuff on it into
> this new machine and read it to get my data back?

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

Yes, Alias, I meant 256Meg of Ram.
And thanks for your advice.

Mike: Thanks. Sure appreciate the good news!

> Steve,
>
> Yes. XP can access drives using either the FAT or NTFS filing systems so
> should have no trouble accessing files on a FAT disk that was written to
> by Win Me.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Steve Frye <frye@route36.com> wrote:
>
>> Windows ME
>> Compaq Presario 128K
>>
>> My drive 0 died, but I backed up my data on a second hard drive
>> (Drive 1 = Western Digital 30Gig) inside the computer.
>> I just bought a new computer:
>> emachines 256K
>> Windows XP
>>
>> Can I plug my old Drive 1 with all the Windows ME stuff on it into
>> this new machine and read it to get my data back?

Alias

"Steve Frye" <frye@route36.com> wrote in message
> Windows ME
> Compaq Presario 128K
>
> My drive 0 died, but I backed up my data on a second hard drive (Drive 1 =
> Western Digital 30Gig) inside the computer.
> I just bought a new computer:
> emachines 256K

eMachines? You have my sympathy. 256K what? RAM? If you mean 256 MB of RAM,
get more.

> Windows XP
>
> Can I plug my old Drive 1 with all the Windows ME stuff on it into this
> new machine and read it to get my data back?
>
> Thanks
> Steve

Yes. Make it a slave first.

Alias

256MB is fine for WindowsME.

Rick

Alias wrote:
> "Steve Frye" <frye@route36.com> wrote in message
>
>>Windows ME
>>Compaq Presario 128K
>>
>>My drive 0 died, but I backed up my data on a second hard drive (Drive 1 =
>>Western Digital 30Gig) inside the computer.
>>I just bought a new computer:
>>emachines 256K
>

> eMachines? You have my sympathy. 256K what? RAM? If you mean 256 MB of RAM,
> get more.
>

>>Windows XP
>>
>>Can I plug my old Drive 1 with all the Windows ME stuff on it into this
>>new machine and read it to get my data back?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Steve
>

> Yes. Make it a slave first.
>
> Alias

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks, Rick.
But the 256 is on the new emachine I just bought (Windows XP).
The old Presario (Windows ME) had 128, but it was getting very old and
infirm, then finally died.

> 256MB is fine for WindowsME.
>

> Rick
>

> Alias wrote:
>> "Steve Frye" <frye@route36.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Windows ME
>>>Compaq Presario 128K
>>>
>>>My drive 0 died, but I backed up my data on a second hard drive (Drive 1
>>>= Western Digital 30Gig) inside the computer.
>>>I just bought a new computer:
>>>emachines 256K
>>

>> eMachines? You have my sympathy. 256K what? RAM? If you mean 256 MB of
>> RAM, get more.
>>

>>>Windows XP
>>>
>>>Can I plug my old Drive 1 with all the Windows ME stuff on it into this
>>>new machine and read it to get my data back?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Steve
>>

>> Yes. Make it a slave first.
>>
>> Alias

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi there,

Yes, I can definitely confirm this is 100% correct (not that I doubted
MikeM at all.. he is a clever guy !) as I did the exact same thing 2
weeks ago.

I had a 80GB Drive from Windows ME with all my data on it.
When I installed Windows XP Pro I used NTFS (I was told it was better
than FAT) and put my 80GB in as a slave.
I then transferred the data from the slave to the master and when I
was happy I then reformatted the 80GB hard drive to NTFS from within
Windows XP.

Steve

On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:22:09 +0100, "Mike M"
<No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

>Steve,
>
>Yes. XP can access drives using either the FAT or NTFS filing systems so
>should have no trouble accessing files on a FAT disk that was written to
>by Win Me.

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

That's excellent news, Steve.
I haven't tried it yet, but I hope my attempt turns out as well.

"Steve" <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Yes, I can definitely confirm this is 100% correct (not that I doubted
> MikeM at all.. he is a clever guy !) as I did the exact same thing 2
> weeks ago.
>
> I had a 80GB Drive from Windows ME with all my data on it.
> When I installed Windows XP Pro I used NTFS (I was told it was better
> than FAT) and put my 80GB in as a slave.
> I then transferred the data from the slave to the master and when I
> was happy I then reformatted the 80GB hard drive to NTFS from within
> Windows XP.
>
> Steve
>
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:22:09 +0100, "Mike M"
> <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
>
>>Steve,
>>
>>Yes. XP can access drives using either the FAT or NTFS filing systems so
>>should have no trouble accessing files on a FAT disk that was written to
>>by Win Me.

This is a good oportunity for you both to create a 4 GB NTFS partition on
the second drive, and move the XP page file to it, to increase performance.
Leave about 50 MB for the page file on C:, which some programs want to
detect, and set the rest on the new partition, on the second drive.
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"SF" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> That's excellent news, Steve.
> I haven't tried it yet, but I hope my attempt turns out as well.
>

> "Steve" <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Yes, I can definitely confirm this is 100% correct (not that I doubted
> > MikeM at all.. he is a clever guy !) as I did the exact same thing 2
> > weeks ago.
> >
> > I had a 80GB Drive from Windows ME with all my data on it.
> > When I installed Windows XP Pro I used NTFS (I was told it was better
> > than FAT) and put my 80GB in as a slave.
> > I then transferred the data from the slave to the master and when I
> > was happy I then reformatted the 80GB hard drive to NTFS from within
> > Windows XP.
> >
> > Steve

<snip>